Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#568077 12/02/19 05:15 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert

Hi y’all,

some of you may know that silly game 'What does it take to be a real....' when everybody tries to make up the most absurd characterizations.

When we played that game with some friends a couple of weeks ago my lovely wife Maha looked at me in an unusually merciless way and came up with 'What does it take to be a real rock musician?' Actually she didn’t even give us the chance to think of some funny answers - instead she had us immediately have a share in her suggestions:

1. A real rock musician's got to suffer from severe hearing loss! (Easy - I can even show off with a polyphonic killer tinnitus)

2. Unlike Bill Clinton he must have inhaled at least once! (C'mon...)

3. He must have written at least one 'protest song'!

Oops - there she had got me: Almost 70 and no such song at all.... But a rock musician's got to do what a rock musician's got to do, so - before I'm running out of time - I decided to write my first ‘protest song’. But how the heck do you write a protest song?

Like so often Tom Lehrer had given the answer already in 1965 when he published the song „The Folk Song Army“:

„The tune don't have to be clever,
And it don't matter if you put a couple of extra syllables into a line.
It sounds more ethnic if it ain't good English
And it don't even gotta rhyme... excuse me: rhyne!“

That sounds pretty easy, don’t you think... And I might add:

‘It don’t mean a thing, if it ain’t got that sting!’.

So I already pictured myself sitting around a camp fire with my friends (maybe on chairs - the hip, y’know...), strumming my good old Ovation I hadn’t played on for decades.

But that good old Ovation and me - we turned out to no lomger be buddies, because that beautifully rounded body of an Ovation simply doesn’t go together with a (admittedlly far less beautifully) rounded German beer belly - it simply kept slipping away.

Obviously I wasn’t meant to write and perform a good old camp fire style protest song, so thinking of a solution I remembered my old motto:

‘Writing songs? When in doubt
make them fast and make them loud!
And if fast and loud is not enough,
you can still make them sound rough.“

So - at 140 BPM, meant to be cranked up, performed by my alter ego band ‘Alternative Lies’ - here’s my first (and most likely last) protest song:

JUST FOR THE RECORD.

Video on my website (with lyrics)

Video on YouTube

Audio (on SoundCloud)

Enjoy (if you can cool )

Stefan

These are the musical data:

Key=Bb , Tempo 140, Length (m:s)=3:08

ReakStyle is _RRTWIST.STY (Rock n Roll Twist Band) using the following RealTracks

RT 1731:Bass, Electric, TexasBluesRockNRoll Ev 165
RT 2353:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm RockabillyRockNRollKevin Ev 165
RT 882:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockHighOffbeat Ev 165
RT 2352:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockabillyRockNRollBrent Ev 165
RealDrums: RocknRoll^02-a: Swinging Ride, b: Two Beat Cymbal

RT602:Harmonica, Soloist Train Ev 130

Vocals and that arthritic guitar solo: Me

Maha had huge fun appearing in the video and most of all working on the sound and mix. Like usually she used Realband + the following plug-ins: PGMusic Dynamics, PGMusic Reverb, EasyQ Parametric EQ and modestly mastered the song in Ozone 8 advanced.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I watched the video and that is one heck of a production. Great use of BIAB. Fun song. Great video. Well done all around.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Stefan,
That's a very good rock protest song and your guitarist fingers aren't so arthritic ! Your song is very well produced. Thanks for sharing. Christian

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, that's quite a write! Loved the lyrics.

"band" sounded great, as did your vocal and guitar solo (your fingers seem to be moving pretty good to me!)

Killer mix as usual, and I always really enjoy watching your videos! Nice to see Maha in there too.

Great stuff, Stefan!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stefan,

Excellent write!

Super BAND. Good vocals. Good mix.

Terrific video. That must be SO much work...but, well worth it - for our entertainment!!

Stay Angry!

smile

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stefan
Amazing production your videos are always superb and the amount of work in them is incredible.
Enjoyed the band guitar solo and song.

Peter

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Stefan
I enjoyed this a lot (not least because I'm similarly angry). Love the lyrics. Amazing work on the video as usual. And that solo doesn't sound at all arthritic to me.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As an occasionally angry, old man and frequent curmudgeon I offer my thanks for a laugh and head bopping session.
That was a treat - well done Maha & your good self.
Most enjoyable.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a tune! Got my foot tapping from the get go, and I love how light hearted it is. Not only that, but the tune is terrifically well put together. The production is right on the money, and it flows effortlessly.

Thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is BRILLIANT. One of the very best songs I've heard in a while on here, and the lyrics play no small part in that - but the whole concept and execution is incredible, from start to finish. That instrumental bridge with the guitar and the harmonica are as marvellous as your voice, both in quality and interpretative execution. Keep protesting - BRAVO!!!

and that's just me listening to the audio. The video made me smile (particularly the credits, haha). Well done - what a début in the genre!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stefan & Maha
Where is Bill with his saxophone? I was getting ready to see him play sax solo on the stage.
Fantastic, seriously positive stuff! I am both jealous and inspired. A+

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Stefan,

I was in the lucky position to hear this song couple of times while you were still busy making it and that super-swell video. Before you had the video I told you what good song it is. I really love the lyrics. But -of course- your video is the piece of the cake. Very strong, funny and to the point. Still don't think the orange one will like it much. but as long as we do, the better!

I also noticed your fingers look like they play gitar, drums, keyboard daily.
But in particulair I liked the end of your movies, the credits. All kinds of Stefans and Maha's were presented there with those funny names. So from start to finish a well cared for product!
And now Maha and you must enjoy your well-earned huge beer (the German one!)

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Another smash...
Really cool music & video...
BTW...
That Orange Amp looks mighty good!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That is some very creative work Stefan! So many clever little changes in this! What a lyric (that had to take some time to construct)!! I love the instrumentation choices especially what you did with all the drum parts! Also those clever chord changes thrown into certain spots! Great vocal! You always bring it with every production! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I always am happy to see your latest song on the forum list. And you did not disappoint with this one. Wow, your anger produced a deluge of clever lyrics.

"Every now and then a little lie may save your day,
but are 12,000 lies within three years still okay?"

I couldn't have said it better.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow! Bet you had some doing this.
Excellent work. Rob4580

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Great write!

And, of course, fantastic production, and audio and visual treat, all the way to the end credits. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Stefan,

First off, an awesome write. Second, accompanies by an incredible, energetic, blitz of rocking music. Third, terrific vocal, killer harmonica. Wow, beyond impressed--totally appreciated the effort and talent it takes to pull something like this together. Do you play this live anywhere? It would absolutely slay the room. Great video to boot!

My beyond humble regards,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome job, vox are terrific, lyrics are a blast, the whole thing came together perfectly. Entertainment value is off the chart. Video a hoot! Enjoyed listening to this multiple times. Keep em coming.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
This is an outstanding creation. The musical parts are hitting on all cylinders and the lyrics are just a blast, and work perfectly with the tune and the style. As others have commented this is one of the best songs that I've heard on the showcase for a while.

Now, I'm going to shamelessly break it down and hopefully pick up a few tricks from your masterful use BIAB for myself!

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191