You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#572551 - 12/26/19 04:11 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10
danekma Offline

BIAB 2019 won't start after upgrade to Windows 10. BIAB logo shows briefly, then turns into black rectangle and that's all. Any suggestions?

#572556 - 12/26/19 04:15 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: danekma]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Try right-clicking on the BIAB shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator" -- this might help.

Also, did you fully power down and re-boot your computer after the upgrade?

#572558 - 12/26/19 04:24 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: danekma]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
If the above doesn’t help, try navigating to /BB and run as administrator the file BBW64.exe

Can we make the assumption that you had Windows 7 or 8 and BIAB worked fine, and the only thing you’ve changed is to upgrade to Windows 10?

What are you using for an audio interface? That would be the most likely culprit for a driver problem moving up to Windows 10.
BIAB 2020 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition CC, Notion; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#572686 - 12/27/19 02:44 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: Matt Finley]
danekma Offline

Running BBW64.exe as administrator doesn't work either. Yes, my computer was fully powered down and re-booted several times after the upgrade.

BIAB worked fine on Windows 7. I use Lexicon Lambda for audio interface. Updated driver today, still the same problem.

I'm puzzled because RealBand works fine.

#572704 - 12/27/19 05:54 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: danekma]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Andrew - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Another user encountered this issue recently and we were able to fix it. It is most likely due to PG Music chord and notation fonts that aren't installed properly - for some reason, upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 sometimes causes a condition where fonts are present but are not recognized by the system. This issue might affect other fonts on your system as well that aren't part of the standard Windows 10 install.

Download the build 639 patch from here:
https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/patches/bb2019_win_update_build639.exe
This should allow Band-in-a-Box to open, however you'll notice that the chordsheet and notation window don't display properly.

Here is a procedure that should fix it.

1. Close Band-in-a-Box.

2. Navigate to the Fonts folder. The Fonts folder is located here: C:\Windows\Fonts. However, this is a "special" folder in that it shows you the title and groups of the fonts installed (e.g. "PGMusic F Regular"), but doesn't show you the actual individual files that are present.

We need to see these individual files. To do this, enter the following into the Windows Explorer address bar.

\\localhost\C$\Windows\Fonts

Here is a screenshot of this, to clarify. Note that the folder view in this image is set to details - this might help you find the files (click on the View tab, select details).

One symptom of this font problem is that the files do not display in the "fancy" font display (i.e. the font folder that you access via C:\Windows\Fonts) even though the files are present when viewed as a regular folder.

3. Locate and delete the following files if present. If the system won't let you delete them, then reboot your PC.

Pgchords.ttf
Pgjazz__.ttf
pgmus.ttf
Pgtext.ttf
Pgtextj_.tt
Pgtextje.ttf
BeStPlainXZ.ttf
RealScoreChord.ttf
BigBandChord.ttf

4. Reboot your PC.

5. Run the file C:\bb\Data\Installers\bbfonts.exe to install the PG Music fonts.

6. If the notation display is still blank in BB, then Reboot again

Edited by Andrew - PG Music (12/31/19 03:54 PM)

#572706 - 12/27/19 05:57 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: danekma]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

It could be the USB-connected Lexicon Lambda that is creating the stumbling block at the moment.

Just for the moment, close BIAB and then unplug any musical device that is connected to the computer including the Lexicon.

Now let's see if it's possible to get BIAB running using the computer's internal system. (We'll plug the devices back in later when things are going.)

Click on the URL link below, and setup the Audio and MIDI drivers exactly as shown. This is a good starting place to get things up and running.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=461558#Post461558

I've always found it good practice to start with the very basic and then add things one at a time until we find what is creating the issue.

Let us know how you go.

Regards,
Noel

#572729 - 12/27/19 09:03 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: Andrew - PG Music]
danekma Offline

I downloaded and installed build 639 patch, and BIAB still won't open.

#572731 - 12/27/19 09:20 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: Noel96]
danekma Offline

Tried unplugging my audio interface (Lexicon). No change.

When I try to open BIAB I see the logo, then it's replaced by a black rectangle, and it stays that way. If I click, "bbw64.com is not responding" message pops up.

#572735 - 12/27/19 09:53 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: danekma]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi again,

The next thing I'd try is the ultimate reset.

To do this...

1. Use Windows explorer to navigate to \bb\Preferences

2. rename the file INTRFACE.BBW to INTRFACE.BBW.OLD

3. Rename the file MYSETUP.DK to MYSETUP.DK.OLD

These are BIAB's preferences files and by renaming them, you are forcing BIAB to create new ones when it boots up.

4. Unplug the Lexicon

5. Start BIAB

All settings will be reset and audio and midi will need to be configured. To do this, just use the setup that I gave you at the link in my previous post.

NOTE: by renaming the above two files, it means that it's possible to get them back if needed.

Regards,
Noel

#572766 - 12/28/19 06:21 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Another thing to try is to disable your Network Adapter, your anti-virus and anything else that is running in the background like Anti-malware programs.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#572803 - 12/28/19 11:09 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: danekma]
PG Music Staff

Quote:

Ok, did you follow the instructions I posted?

Edit: Open RealBand and try opening a notation window. If RealBand gives you an error message mentioning GetCharWidth, then we know it's the font problem that I suspect it is. If not, perhaps it is a different problem.

Edited by Andrew - PG Music (12/28/19 11:14 AM)

#573358 - 12/31/19 02:15 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: Andrew - PG Music]
danekma Offline

Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Quote:

Ok, did you follow the instructions I posted?

Edit: Open RealBand and try opening a notation window. If RealBand gives you an error message mentioning GetCharWidth, then we know it's the font problem that I suspect it is. If not, perhaps it is a different problem.

I did, still the same effect, BIAB gets stuck on opening screen (BIAB logo).

#573364 - 12/31/19 02:27 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: MarioD]
danekma Offline

Also, I disabled Network Adapter, anti-virus, firewall, etc., that didn't help either.

As for removing interface/setup files, I don't see INTRFACE.BBW or MYSETUP.DK in \bb\Preferences
I found BBW2exe_Intrface.bbw in Data folder but removing it did not help.

Thank you for all your help so far!

#573371 - 12/31/19 02:56 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: danekma]
PG Music Staff

Hi,

Does the Notation Window in RealBand open properly? The answer will help alot.

To test, open RealBand and press Alt+F2 (hotkey to open a Notation Window).

#573374 - 12/31/19 03:22 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: Andrew - PG Music]
danekma Offline

No, the Notation Window in RealBand does not open. I get an error message "GetCharWidth function call unsuccessful...".

#573391 - 12/31/19 03:55 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: danekma]
PG Music Staff

Exactly, so it's the font problem like I suspected.
All you should need to do is follow the instructions that I posted a few days ago, the part that starts with "Here is a procedure that should fix it."

I've added a screenshot and tried to clarify the wording a bit. If this doesn't fix the problem, you'll need to tell us specifically what you found so we can isolate what the problem step is. e.g. Did you find the files and delete them? Did you run the font installer? etc. Once the fonts are installed and displaying in the the C:\Windows\Fonts window (the "fancy" fonts window) then the problem will be fixed.

Edited by Andrew - PG Music (12/31/19 03:58 PM)

#574396 - 01/06/20 08:51 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB 2019 won't start in Windows 10 [Re: Andrew - PG Music]
danekma Offline

Hi, just a quick update on my BIAB problems. While trying to implement Andrew's solution I ran into a problem - Windows wouldn't let me delete font files. I was trying different things (changing permissions, file ownership, etc.) but couldn't delete the files. At some point I lost internet access, and then I started BIAB. It started without any problems.

So, I still don't know what was the problem, but BIAB is working for now and that's good enough for me. Thank you for all your help!

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Polish for Windows is Here!

Dodaliśmy ponad 50 nowych funkcji do Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Są udoskonalenia ścieżek RealTracks (Delikatniej brzmiące wokale RealTracks, Pogrubianie RealTracks, funkcja "Znajdź odmianę" dla RealTracks i MultiRiffów). Większość RealDrums ma teraz RealCharts (z dokładną Notacją Bębnów). Jest nowa Przeglądarka Artystów RealTracks umożliwiające znalezienie informacji/biografii/linków/listy ścieżek RealTracks dla wszystkich artystów. Nowa Przeglądarka Funkcji pozwala nowym lub "zapominalskim" użytkownikom na łatwe znalezienie i użycie większości funkcji/skrótów/dokumentów z poziomu jednego okna. Funkcja Wyrównaj Tempo pozwala na zmianę utworu nagranego w rytmie rubato i dostosowanie go do ustalonego tempa. Udoskonalono funkcje rozciągania brzmień audio w czasie/wysokości dźwięku (Elastique). Są też udoskonalenia opcji Wybory Utworu, automatycznych wstępów na Basie/Bębnach lub tylko samych bębnach (Auto-Intros), dodano 3,400 tytułów, są udoskonalenia w zakresie MusicXML, mamy widok dla gitarzysty "Leworęcznego" oraz "Widok dla ucznia" przy grze na gitarze, udoskonalenia opcji Przeciągnij i Upuść, multi-okna wyświetlającego Magika Audio Akordów i wiele innych poprawek!

ZAKUP/UAKTUALNIJ & POBIERZ TERAZ!

Add-ons Special EXTENDED! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and VST DAW Plugin for Windows!

Did you see the latest build update announcement for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows?

It’s PACKED with powerful updates, including additional RealCharts, improved RealStyles demos, language support, and significant additions and improvements to the DAW Plugin!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more! In fact, we’ve made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Click here to check it out.

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 b724 for Windows and download it here.

#TipTuesday Band-in-a-Box® Online Manuals - An Excellent Resource!

The Band-in-a-Box® program manuals are available on our Support page - what an excellent online resource to help you get the most out of the program!

Head to our Support | Online Manuals page and you'll have access to both a PDF and an online program manual for Band-in-a-Box® 2018-2020 and RealBand 2018-2020!

Bookmark www.pgmusic.com/manuals/ today!

Forum Stats
32432 Members
68 Forums
65059 Topics
551203 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
KRSaxMan, Rolly, narelfr, mrgoodbass, PeteJakson

32432 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 167
Jim Fogle 154