You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#578648 - 01/30/20 01:06 PM [User Showcase] Kay
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

I've been out of pocket the past couple weeks because one of my very best friends passed away suddenly. She was my secretary when I pastored a church in Austin for 18 years. She was my wife's very best friend and prayer partner for over 30 years. One of the most loyal and faithful friends I have ever known. Most of the responsibilities for the funeral service have fallen on me, so this has been a very rewarding, but draining time in my life.

I wrote this song to honor her legacy. All RealTracks and RealDrums, along with some organ, Moog, and percussion that I played. I hope you enjoy it.

Video version...
Kay - Video

SoundCloud version...
Kay - SoundCloud

This is the first time I have used the DAW plugin. Worked really well for this one. Here's a screenshot of the RT's/RD used...

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

#578652 - 01/30/20 01:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
All I can say is WOW! What a fantastic tribute. I could hear the pain in your vocals. This is absolutely outstanding!

It is going to be very hard for you to top this one!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#578655 - 01/30/20 01:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Central Ohio
edshaw Offline
Expert

Loc: Central Ohio
A touching testimony, Steve. You are blessed with the skill to produce such a thing. It is easy to see how you all held her in such high esteem.
Reaper/Audacity
TASCAM DP 03 SD|Digital deck

#578666 - 01/30/20 01:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Steve

A lovely tribute - very touching.

Peter

#578713 - 01/30/20 06:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Montana, USA
trapper456 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Montana, USA
I am extremely touched by this one. My mother passed away from a brain tumor Dec. 19th 2017, we thought she was getting better after resection of the tumor and doing "Physical Therapy" then she started getting worse fast and took a very bad turn for the worst and passed away at 9:14 in the evening suddenly. So to hear this song brought tears to my eyes because almost every word that you spoke in this song was my mother to. Very beautiful, and I am sorry for your loss. Thanks for creating this song! I have bookmarked it and will come back to listen to it often.

#578721 - 01/30/20 08:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
As Peter said: A lovely tribute - very touching.

It's the lyrics and vocals that make your songs - sincerity and faith that come across loud and clear. Really well done! The arrangement wonderfully supports the vocal, but keeps it front and center. Nice touches (like the subtle echo).

Sorry for your (temporary) loss. Thanks for sharing this with us! smile

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#578733 - 01/30/20 09:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Online   content
Apprentice

Loc: SA, Australia
A sensitive and touching tribute. "And when she spoke, she gave us hope and life, and now her words are echoes in the light." Beautiful.

#578761 - 01/31/20 02:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
You capture your voice very well and it sits well in that mix.
Ace effort.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#578782 - 01/31/20 07:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Expert

Loc: United Kingdom
Beautiful - very, very moving. Well written, sung, produced ... the whole package is so sensitively done - well done.

#578804 - 01/31/20 10:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Steve,

A beautiful song. A lovely tribute.

An excellent, subtle production that leaves the message being the "star".
The background vocals were outstanding.

Sorry for your loss.

fj

#578838 - 01/31/20 01:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Veteran

Steve,
Sorry for your loss.
This is a very nice way to remember a friend. Arrangement and performance are excellent. Stay well and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#579027 - 02/01/20 03:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: edshaw]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: MarioD
All I can say is WOW! What a fantastic tribute. I could hear the pain in your vocals. This is absolutely outstanding!

It is going to be very hard for you to top this one!

Thanks so much, Mario! I appreciate you dropping in on this one. This one was easy to write, but hard to sing. Glad you like it.

Originally Posted By: edshaw
A touching testimony, Steve. You are blessed with the skill to produce such a thing. It is easy to see how you all held her in such high esteem.

Thanks, Ed! I appreciate your kind words. Yes, Kay was a very special woman to all who knew her.

#579054 - 02/01/20 09:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Steve,

Sorry for your loss.
Beautiful song. A sensitive and touching tribute.
Your vocals are very touching. I also could hear the pain in your vocals.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#579075 - 02/01/20 11:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Steve,

Pretty, pretty tune—the vocal carries a lot of emotion and depth (perfect touch of reverb on it). Lyrically, for the less knowing like me, I’m not sure that last line of the second verse will resonate, but it doesn’t take away from the beauty of the tune at all. Wonderful production—sweet song!

My best regards to you,

Deej

#579093 - 02/02/20 01:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Beautiful tribute. Nice chording and melody. The band supports the mood smoothly and powerfully, your vocals express the fragility of life in a touching way.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#579169 - 02/02/20 01:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
A very moving tribute Steve...
You have a knack for choosing the right words & melody
To convey your feelings & emotions...
Thanks for sharing something so personal to us on the forum!

#579360 - 02/03/20 07:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

What a beautiful tribute to a clearly salt-of-the=earth uncommon common woman. Blessed indeed.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#579364 - 02/03/20 08:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Beautiful way to honour your friend. Lovely song. Awesome vocal and lyric. Well done

#579547 - 02/05/20 09:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: dcuny]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Steve

A lovely tribute - very touching.

Peter

Thank you, Peter! Appreciate your kind words!

Originally Posted By: trapper456
I am extremely touched by this one. My mother passed away from a brain tumor Dec. 19th 2017, we thought she was getting better after resection of the tumor and doing "Physical Therapy" then she started getting worse fast and took a very bad turn for the worst and passed away at 9:14 in the evening suddenly. So to hear this song brought tears to my eyes because almost every word that you spoke in this song was my mother to. Very beautiful, and I am sorry for your loss. Thanks for creating this song! I have bookmarked it and will come back to listen to it often.

Thanks, Trapper456. I'm so sorry about your mom, but I am happy that she is with the Lord! I'm glad my song touched you. My prayers are with you!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
As Peter said: A lovely tribute - very touching.

It's the lyrics and vocals that make your songs - sincerity and faith that come across loud and clear. Really well done! The arrangement wonderfully supports the vocal, but keeps it front and center. Nice touches (like the subtle echo).

Sorry for your (temporary) loss. Thanks for sharing this with us! smile

David, it's always a treat to hear from you. I appreciate your thoughtful comments! Thanks for taking the time to listen and post your thoughts!

#579554 - 02/05/20 10:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Kay [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Illinois
Loss of a loved one can effect us in many ways.
Expressing your feelings in song is a wonderful way to find some light in a dark situation.
Well done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker can show information for up to 60,000 song files and can be customized to point to any folder on your computer, allowing easy access to your own song files or Band-in-a-Box® demo files!

Once you've chosen your folder and rebuilt your list, you are able to filter the list, adjust the width of the columns, see the chord sheet within the SongPicker Window, and more! The filter feature is incredibly specific too - you can even filter by Songs with Custom Chord Progression!

Read more about the SongPicker: Windows | Mac.

We created a video explaining the SongPicker using Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - check it out!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® Transpose From .. To .. Tutorial

Make sure you check out our latest video if you want to see how to transpose a portion of your song! Click here to watch...

Learn even more about transposing within Band-in-a-Box with our online manual: Windows | Mac.

The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Updates for Windows & Mac!

We've just released FREE Updates for both Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & Mac program users!

With the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, you can now choose the "Save Exact Chord Text" checkbox to the Save XML dialog, there are VST feature updates, Audio Chord Wizard enhancements, updated program messages, we've applied fixes to an assortment of user-reported issues, and the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 Update has been added too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 734 and download it here.

The newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac update also includes VST feature updates, as well as RealTracks & RealDrums Picker enhancements, smoother 'tabbing' between dialog windows, and additional fixes applied to an assortment of user-reported issues. If you missed adding the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 update from September, it will be added with this update too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 420 and download it here.

Video - How to Transpose a Region of a Band-in-a-Box® Song

Want to learn how to transpose just one chorus of your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Check out our latest video, shared to the I want a video that shows me how to... forum: https://youtu.be/XiMrgtQ7u14

Forum Stats
33055 Members
68 Forums
66587 Topics
566423 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Runar Hartvigsen, EEB, Karuso, Yabby, blueswanabe

33054 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Janice & Bud 153
Planobilly 130