Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
At the MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA) annual meeting during Winter NAMM 2020, MMA members unanimously adopted MIDI 2.0 specifications including: MIDI Capability Inquiry, Universal MIDI Packet (UMP) Format and MIDI 2.0 Protocol, MIDI CI Profiles Rules, MIDI-CI Property Exchange Rules, Property Exchange Foundational Resources and Basic Resources. Here's why MIDI 2.0 is the biggest advance in music technology in decades.

MIDI 2.0 Means Two-way MIDI Conversations
MIDI 1.0 messages went in one direction: from a transmitter to a receiver. MIDI 2.0 is bi-directional and changes MIDI from a monologue to a dialog. For example, with the new MIDI-CI (Capability Inquiry) messages, MIDI 2.0 devices can talk to each other, and auto-configure themselves to work together. They can also exchange information on functionality. MIDI 2.0 gear can find out if a device doesn't support MIDI 2.0, and then simply communicate using MIDI 1.0.

Higher Resolution, More Controllers and Better Timing
MIDI 2.0 re-imagines the role of performance controllers, the aspect of MIDI that translates human performance gestures to computer data. Controllers (CC) are now easier to use, and there are more of them: over 32,000 controllers, including controls for individual notes. Enhanced, 32-bit resolution gives controls a smooth, continuous, "analog" feel. New Note-On options were added for articulation control and precise note pitch. In addition, dynamic response (velocity) has been upgraded. What's more, major timing improvements in MIDI 2.0 can apply to MIDI 1.0 devices. In fact, some MIDI 1.0 gear can even "retrofit" certain MIDI 2.0 features.

Profile Configuration
MIDI gear can now have Profiles that can dynamically configure a device for a particular use case. If a control surface queries a device with a "mixer" Profile, then the controls will map to faders, panpots, and other mixer parameters. But with a "drawbar organ" Profile, that same control surface can map its controls automatically to virtual drawbars and other keyboard parameters. For another example a device could map to dimmers if the profile is a lighting controller. This saves setup time, improves workflow, and eliminates tedious manual programming.

Property Exchange
While Profiles set up an entire device, Property Exchange messages provide specific, detailed information sharing. These messages can discover, retrieve, and set many properties like preset names, individual parameter settings, and unique functionalities. Basically, everything a MIDI 2.0 device needs to know about another MIDI 2.0 device. For example, your recording software could display everything you need to know about a synthesizer onscreen, effectively bringing hardware synths up to the same level of recallability as their software counterparts.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I got my newsletter from them today too. Great news.

I'm puzzled they did not choose to add chord symbols to the MIDI standard, unless it's buried in there and I haven't found it yet.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I am a little puzzled with MIDI 2...

Here is why. Most modern peripherals use either USB or Bluetooth for midi and in most cases they include either a piece of software (excluding the driver) or VST or similar. Many settings and profiles are saved within that software per session / project or VST state. To my understanding MIDI stuff is happening "within" the hardware and proprietary software for that specific device interprets it. But that is what we have now...

The only issue I have with MIDI is latency, when for example I want to record "live" to the project. This can be dealt with by adjusting things manually, but speaking of MIDI 2, I do not believe that it has "something" to address latency.

I do get that a PRO audio musicians might need more control and features, I just do not get how an average hobbyist or amateur musician can benefit from this, assuming they have gear purchased within last few years. Maybe I am just getting older smile

Veteran
Veteran
Latency is all about your computer. Amateurs trying to set up a home studio for the first time are usually trying to use a low cost weak PC for recording and the the number one question they have is why do I have this delay when I try to play a software synth live or the flip side of that, why to I get these weird glitches in my audio?

Otherwise, yes we older guys don't get why midi 2.0 is important because we're not using all these complicated synth controllers or control surfaces like the Ableton Push to produce music us older people can't stand listening to. We're all mostly guitarists or keyboard players while young "bedroom producers" are not making music that way. It's all computer based and then the older midi standard can be a pia to work with because of all the control surface midi mapping required especially with an older piece of gear.

The bigger thing for me is the much higher resolution and almost unlimited amount of CC's available in the new standard. How many times have we read even here on this forum "How can I make my midi tracks sound more realistic?" It's all about controllers and interacting with midi software. If all you're doing is step editing notes and then quantizing them then the new standard won't matter, the result will still sound stiff and mechanical. But, if a good player is using controllers and software that can handle the new midi standard then all that goes away and it will be a very big deal.

Biab is midi based in everything it does. It uses midi commands to execute things we want to do like generating RT's and everything else. If it can be made to handle the new standard it could be a big deal but I have no idea if that's possible without a complete rewrite of the code.

We're still a ways away from those new products becoming available, this is just an agreement about the new standard and I read there were just a few pieces of gear at NAMM that conform to it. One is a new Roland 88 key keyboard controller. If it's connected to a software VST that also conforms then we could start hearing some examples but I've not see that yet.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
I would hope that a new standard would include chords, but apparently that is not the case.

Another thing I wish was standardized is middle C. I know that it is MIDI note 60 but companies can call it C3, C4 or C5. That is very confusing, especially for a beginner. Sometimes it even messes me up!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
On +++ THIS +++ webpage there is an interesting statement about MIDI 2.0 and USB. However the statement is not given the prominence it should have. I've edited the statement for clarity below:
Quote:
MIDI 1.0 messages currently are transported over (1) 5 pin DIN, (2) serial ports, (3) 1/8" Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) cables, (4) Firewire, (5) Ethernet and (6) USB.
There needs to be a MIDI 2.0 specification for each transport. USB is the first target for MIDI 2.0. The vast majority of MIDI products are connected to computers or hosts via USB.

There is also a statement that a USB transport committee has been assembled and the committee has already met one time. The statement then continues:

Quote:
There is a new Universal Packet Format that will be common to all modern transports that will help make this work move quicker. The new Universal Packet contains both MIDI 1 .0 messages and MIDI 2.0 messages plus some messages that can be used with both.

In looking through the MIDI.ORG forum posts, I do not believe I've seen any posts by developers or users regarding chord recognition leading me to believe chord recognition is not, and has not been, part of the MIDI 1.0 or MIDI 2.0 discussion.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Jazzmammal,
I guess yes, resolution is a factor, reading the article Jim posted, Midi 1 was potentially capable of 14 bits, just was not "widely implemented"
Ohh yes this: "How can I make my midi tracks sound more realistic?" A good sample based library?

Jim,
interesting article, thank you for posting! I still have some doubt. To me, manufacturer of specific product will still decide to "be or not to be". For example Komplete Kontrol. Modern-yes. For some reason chaining for Midi Plugins (internal MIDI output from MIDI VST plugins / MIDI VSTs that control MIDI Input.) is missing. Not there. Period. And this is very basic stuff, that had been asked for ages...And NI is one of the most popular software/hardware companies.

My point is, you can have a state of the art hardware/software, but if owners are stubborn, MIDI 2 will not help, because they might advertise product as one, but implement only partially, to their own benefit. And I believe it is a general trend these days. Monopolistic / proprietary approach. The eternal Apple vs Android saga smile

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There is a 53 minute video from the 2019 Audio Developers Conference (ADC) of a presentation by two Steinberg developers. The meat of the video is Steinberg believes the VST3 specification is better than MIDI 2.0. That is like comparing an apple to an orange.

One interesting point a Midi Manufacturer Association (MMA)representative made in another ADC presentation is it will be up to the host program (such as Band-in-a-Box & RealBand) to translate any communication between MIDI 2.0 and a plugin. The MMA is building a programmer toolkit to facilitate testing and verifying translation applications. I've got the feeling that is going to be a rocky road with many false starts before it works correctly.

A video I viewed demonstrated communication between two MIDI 2.0 devices. One device used system exclusive messages to transmit it's GUI to another device and then the second device mirrored device 1's GUI and followed control movements in real time. It was a really impressive demonstration of what is possible.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,634
Posts735,253
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181