Options
Index
#580372 - 02/11/20 07:22 AM [User Showcase] Magpie
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Hi y’all,

I’m really lagging behind - not only with listening to all those new songs here (am I the only one who has the feeling that the number of new songs is increasing exponentially?), but also with my own songs:: Got three new videos ‘in the making’, but none of them is ready for the roll-ouit by now..

So for the time being I’m going to post something a bit different from my usual stuff today - here’s the back story:

Last summer my brother sent me an mp3 file with just a melody he had sung, some funny German lyrics, no harmonies, just some very raw singing. He wanted to give this song as a birthday present to his girl friend and asked me if I could make an arrangement / backing track for it.

Well, of course I was excited to do this, we had a nice collab, recorded his vocal, and the birthday present was a huge success.

Because I liked the song I thought I should try to translate his lyrics into English sticking as closely as possible to the original wording and then recorded it myself using the arrangemt I had put together with BIAB, changing the melody a bit.

This production was never meant to see any public light, so I already kept the first or second track - TommyC would say; ‘Just foolin’ around.’ Since I can’t’t even find the original RealBand file anymore, Maha couldn’t work on my vocals and had to make do with an almost forgotten wave file that she did some mastering on today.

So just take it as it is, please: no big thing, but it was fun to work on something very different from my own songs.

MAGPIE

Take care,

Stefan

Technical data:

Style is _GRVYPNO.STY (Groovy Piano Pop )

RealTracks in style: ~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 2046:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment CountryPopJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
RealDrums in style: JazzFunkGroovin^1-a:HHSdStk, b:HHSnr
Added: RealTrack ~143:7Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110

Added: RT2534:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, HeldChords
Added: RT408:Guitar, Resonator, Background Allis Ev 120
Added: RT669:Guitar, Slide, Background EasySouthern Ev 120

Unfortunately I can’t trace which alto sax soloist track I used for the sax parts - sorry.

I used BIAB and RealBand for the backing track, Maha did all the sound work using RealBand with PGMusic dynamics, PGMusic reverb and the EasyQ parametric EQ pluig-in. Mastered it in Ozone 8.

Edited by Crossroads (02/11/20 07:40 AM)

#580375 - 02/11/20 07:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Henni & Stefan & Maha...

A fun listen! Clever.

Good vocals, nice mix. Enjoy it.

fj

HA! the tab says "Nagpie"...intentional??

#580385 - 02/11/20 08:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
BabuMusic Offline
Apprentice

Hi, Stefan. You need not apologize for lagging behind on your posts. Your influence is evident here, man. I'm new here and am still catching up on all the magical music you've already posted. And tell Maha I REALLY love those videos, and I never tire of the songs. Ok, that said, now get back to those 3 that are ‘in the making’.

This song is superb, and I'd like it in any language!

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box & Cakewalk

#580389 - 02/11/20 08:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Stefan,

I thought you were too busy with my song. How could it happen you also were working on this, very good swinging song with that funny lyrics, without mention it to me?
I think it's because you also sing about an animal like in my song, isn't it!
But well done on this!

Hans

#580404 - 02/11/20 11:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Nice old rag time blues, fun theme and looks like the cat got the bird !!!.

Enjoyed ,

Thanks
win 10 64 bit 16gb, ssd 500gb, Alesis multimix8 usb,ketron sd,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 ,Byerdynamic 770 pro, akg k270,akg k701.
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

#580423 - 02/11/20 04:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Expert

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Good fun.
the slowed ending works a treat.
An enjoyable narrative with my expectation of the climax being met which adds a satisfying feel to the piece - home - journey & home again.
Excellent work - kudos to your brother on top of the excellent work you & Maha did.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#580435 - 02/11/20 05:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maryland
Good idea well delivered, and the ending was nice. Vox, instruments, production, all good. Enjoyed listening!

#580443 - 02/11/20 05:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia USA
Stefan,

You are right. There has been a lot of activity, and I am having a hard time catching up with all the good posts.

I see the brothers share a sense of humor.

The chorus really sticks with you.

Love the style. Good choice for the content.

#580463 - 02/11/20 10:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Big smiles here. Clever idea, and the translation works well. To end so sweetly put a tear in my eye.

The band is solid and the vocals strong and well-placed. Maha did them both proud. The only crit I can make is that "wanted" is not spelled "wnated". smile Easy fix.
BIAB 2019 Audiophile. Windows 10. Former user of old version. Prefer creating while learning over learning before creating. Passable, intermediate level acoustic rhythm guitar player. Songwriter, lyricist, composer loving all styles.

#580475 - 02/12/20 01:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: United Kingdom
This is a CLASSIC in capital letters! Absolutely brilliant!!! Loved it all, made me smile and made my day brighter - and, if music can do that, that's one of the highest compliments one can give to a writer, right? And that ending! Love the slow tempo, as if to emphasise every single word and syllable you are singing. Bravo - standing ovation from me :-)

#580507 - 02/12/20 09:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Enjoyably positive and easily flowing lyrics, definitely sounds like the original was an excellent birthday present.
The chorus is really catchy sing-a-long. I like the smooth soulful arrangement. Kind of a musical song, I could see you dancing with a stick and a hat wink

Janne

#580539 - 02/12/20 01:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Stefan

A really nice fun song - excellent vocals and clever ending.

Very much enjoyed.

(And yes the songs are cycling through very quickly at the moment!)

Peter

#580680 - 02/13/20 10:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi Stefan,

You are right, the number of posts is definitely going up, makes it easy to miss new posts. I saw you had posted this yesterday but didn't have time to listen, and when I went looking for it today it had slipped halfway down the second page.

Great song! Good writing and I really like your vocal. Love the slowed down ending! Mix sounds great also, listened through both the monitors and the phones.

Blue Attitude Website

#580700 - 02/13/20 01:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Lots of new posts. Some very good songs. Love your music. Super lyrics and always excellent vocals and production. Well done

#580793 - 02/14/20 06:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: floyd jane]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Henni & Stefan & Maha...

A fun listen! Clever.

Good vocals, nice mix. Enjoy it.

fj

HA! the tab says "Nagpie"...intentional??

Hi Floyd,

thanks a lot, glad you liked it.

"Nagpie"...intentional??"

No, I'm afraid this would posit a level of English 'pun-ability' I haven't yet reached - sorry, just a typo...

Regards,

Stefan

#580795 - 02/14/20 06:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: BabuMusic]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Hi, Stefan. You need not apologize for lagging behind on your posts. Your influence is evident here, man. I'm new here and am still catching up on all the magical music you've already posted. And tell Maha I REALLY love those videos, and I never tire of the songs. Ok, that said, now get back to those 3 that are ‘in the making’.

This song is superb, and I'd like it in any language!

Oh man, you are really supportive !!!!!! Thanks a lot for your very kind words and also that kick in the butt: it worked - video no. 1 is almost done ;-))...

All the best,

Stefan

#580796 - 02/14/20 06:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Birchwood]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Stefan,

I thought you were too busy with my song. How could it happen you also were working on this, very good swinging song with that funny lyrics, without mention it to me?
I think it's because you also sing about an animal like in my song, isn't it!
But well done on this!

Hans

Yes, Hans, looks like we brought a new genre to this forum: 'pet tunes'...

No need to worry: I did not have to work on this one anymore, only had to look for the wave file and have Maha do the mastering.

I am very glad you liked it.

Take good care,

Stefan

#580797 - 02/14/20 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: beatmaster]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Nice old rag time blues, fun theme and looks like the cat got the bird !!!.

Enjoyed ,

Thanks

Yes, baetmaster: The cat got the bird... Thanks a lot for your nice comment!

Cheers,

Stefan

#580798 - 02/14/20 07:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: rayc]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: rayc
Good fun.
the slowed ending works a treat.
An enjoyable narrative with my expectation of the climax being met which adds a satisfying feel to the piece - home - journey & home again.
Excellent work - kudos to your brother on top of the excellent work you & Maha did.

Hi Ray,

I'm always especially happy to read your positive comments, so thanks a lot for this one, too.
I passed your compliment to Maha and knowing that you're the expert she was very flattered by your kind words.

All the best,

Stefan

#580833 - 02/14/20 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Great song Stefan! Your vocal and the processing on it is fantastic! You did (once again) such a wonderful job on the production of this tune! You always post great stuff and this one is right there with the rest of your material! Enjoyed it! Thanks, Torrey.
BMI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
#MusicMonday - Share your Latest Band-in-a-Box® Song!

Let's hear your latest Band-in-a-Box® song! Don't be shy - post it as a reply, or head to our User Showcase Forum to share it there!

New to Band-in-a-Box® and unsure of how to get started? We have a few resources to help you out!

Forums - packed with helpful program users!
Online Manual - specifically "Chapter 2: QuickStart" (Mac users, click here.)
Support Videos - sorted for easy searching! All of these are also shared on our YouTube Channel.

Of course, you can always reach out to our team directly too! www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

#TBT The Band-in-a-Box® 2010 "Plug-in" Mode!

Did you know... the "Plug-in" mode was first launched with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2010 for Windows!

With the 2010 "Plug-in" mode, Band-in-a-Box® opened as a small always-on-top window, and acted as a plug-in for your favorite DAW/sequencer, so that you could Drag-and-drop MIDI and audio (WAV) tracks from Band-in-a-Box to your favorite sequencer. You could work in your favorite sequencer, type a progression in Band-in-a-Box, and then simply drag the track from Band-in-a-Box to your sequencer’s track at the desired track and bar location.

To learn more about the new features that were launched with Band-in-a-Box® 2010 for Windows, check out Band-in-a-Box® 2010 "Plug-in" mode feature highlighted in our Band-in-a-Box® 2010 New Features Video at 10:50!

The "Plug-in" mode development didn't stop there - With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 we introduced the "Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin" which now works DIRECTLY INSIDE YOUR DAW (Cakewalk, Reaper, Pro Tools, PreSonus, etc.). Learn more about this feature here.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - No Sound with MIDI?

Have you ever experienced a No Sound issue when you're working with MIDI in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac?

We have an online tutorial that can walk you through some troubleshooting to resolve this, but why not check out our newest YouTube video instead?

Click here to watch...

Of course, you can always reach out to us directly if you're in need of assistance with the program!

#TipTuesday - The Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Feature Browser!

Don't underestimate the power of the Feature Browser added with Band-in-a-Box® 2020! This is a GREAT resource when you "know that you knew a feature" but just can't quite remember how to find it!

Simply click on the [?] at the top of the program (near the Mixer on the right) to launch this feature. From there, simply type in your query, or choose from the long list that appears in the Feature Browser window. If you're typing it in, you'll see that list change to only show the results that could fit your search - once you find what you're looking for, you can read more about it when you choose [Manual], if there's a video for the feature you can choose [Video] to view it, OR - if you don't need to read about the feature and just want to USE it, choose [Do it] and you're all set!

Watch this new feature in action when you jump to the subject in our New Features video:

10:19 - New Feature - Feature Browser

Give the Gift of Music with Band-in-a-Box®!

Did you wait too long to purchase flowers, a card, or book a restaurant for Valentine's Day? Or, maybe material gifts just aren't your thing?

Why not whip together a song in Band-in-a-Box? It's as easy as typing in some chords, choosing a style, and pressing play!

Or, take it a step further with the help of the Audio Chord Wizard and our StylePicker Song Titles Browser feature!
How???
-Use the Audio Chord Wizard to analyze their favorite song and provide you with the chord progression
-Take that chord progression and start a new project in Band-in-a-Box (choose "Erase the Audio WAV file in BB" | Enable style)
-Head to the StylePicker window, search for a style for that song using the "Song Titles Browser" Feature (top right)
-Choose from the list provided
-Press Play!

Like what you hear? Save it, and viola!

Holiday Hours - Family Day (Mon, Feb 17)

Monday, February 17th is Family Day!

Our hours on this holiday will be:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed.

Regular hours resume Tuesday, February 18th.

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Get Out Your Guitar with Band-in-a-Box®!

Today is Get Out Your Guitar Day! To celebrate, "they" recommend gathering up a few friends with guitars to ROCK!

But, what if you're unable to round up your crew? That's where Band-in-a-Box® comes in!

There are more than 1,100 Guitar RealTracks available in Sets 1-352 by over 50 RealTracks Artists! Jam along with any of them when you create your own song using Guitar RealTracks, or play one of the demo songs for any Guitar you choose in the RealTracks picker dialog - simply choose your Guitar and click on the [Song Demo...] button within that window.

OR take it even farther when you head to the Soloist within Band-in-a-Box® and choose "Trade" when generating a Guitar Soloist track - choose between 2, 4, or 8 bars!

Learn more about the Trade option within Band-in-a-Box in Chapter 9 | "The Soloist" of our Online Manual.

Forum Stats
31234 Members
63 Forums
62491 Topics
528746 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
dBirch, Ery, peterindc, eligilbertbanjo, Ray170644

31234 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 138
Pipeline 134