You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#575560 - 01/11/20 02:27 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Mastering
Loc: Wisconsin
Bernier Offline
Journeyman

I’ve been using PT for quite a few years. Lately I’ve been reading on mastering. My problem is some songs sound ok and others are missing something but I have no idea what. I can pick out obvious things like tracks too loud/soft, but overall I don’t know what I can do to get a a better sound. From reading about mastering, it sounds like the listeners experience has so much to do with mastering - they know what to do to get a better recording.
I’ve read there are services that will master online but are done digitally and not very good. I’ve played around with eq and compression and honestly cannot hear any difference. I do all my listening through headphones and maybe that has something to do with it.
Advice is greatly appreciated!
Bernie

#575570 - 01/11/20 03:57 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Mastering [Re: Bernier]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Expert

From my opinion the trick to mastering is to get the mix right first. Then to master I use Izotope 9 and also the Tonal Balance Control. Using the Mastering Assistance puts it close then watching the Tonal Balance Control do a bit of tweaking to get the track where I want it. Note that it still has to sound the way I like it.

Seems easy with the right tools but all this can be achieved using free tools. For example Limiter 6 and a good EQ plus something like Voxengo Span or Melda’s analyser. Then use something like a Youlean LUFS meter to keep a check on volume. Total cost is nix. Is it as good as Izotope Ozone 9? Maybe, but Ozone makes it much simpler particularly with Tonal Balance Control.

My thoughts

Tony

#575650 - 01/12/20 06:55 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Mastering [Re: Bernier]
Loc: Mi., USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mi., USA
I'll second Ozone.
If you feel the sound is missing something, this is likely the answer.

I also like the YouLean meter Teunis mentioned. But that's just a volume/level/LUFs measuring tool.
Ozone does the magic.

#575659 - 01/12/20 08:06 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Mastering [Re: rharv]
Bernier Offline
Journeyman

I went to the Ozone site and listened to before and after and honestly can’t hear a difference. What am I missing! I’ve been a musician for 40+ years! Thanks!

#575718 - 01/12/20 02:00 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Mastering [Re: Bernier]
Teunis Offline
Expert

As I said in a post about Audiophiles etc they often use the term subtle which to me usually means “you won’t hear a difference but the difference is huge.”

Often the mixes they use are already so good not much change takes place. Also what you a listening on makes a huge difference. I use an iPad to look at online videos. Therefore I use earbuds. The earbuds I use come off my old Walkman MP3 player. The difference between them and some lower end Sony earbuds are unbelievable (the Walkman earbuds are very much better in the low end). Listening via my PC through a good set of headphones makes a difference as does going via the speakers.

But Ozone makes a huge difference and it makes the task far easier than using different EQs, Compressors and Limiters. The Tonal Balance Control makes it much easier to achieve consistency across a number of tracks.

Tonal Balance Control does not affect the signal but gives you a good visual aid. Similar can be achieved using something like Span or Manalyzer but they are not nearly as intuitive.

My experiences

Tony

Edited by Teunis (01/12/20 02:11 PM)

#575724 - 01/12/20 02:25 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Mastering [Re: Teunis]
Bernier Offline
Journeyman

Thanks so much for your input!
Bernie

#576221 - 01/15/20 09:21 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Mastering [Re: Bernier]
Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
I'll add my 2cents.You can't Master one song. It's just mixing. Mastering is all about getting a cohesive project of multiple songs that sound good together.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php

#578243 - 01/28/20 12:20 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Mastering [Re: Bernier]
Loc: Central Ohio
edshaw Offline
Expert

Loc: Central Ohio
One thing that helped me, a self confessed newbie, was when it occurred to me that the elements could be mixed and mastered as individuals; for example, backing and instrumentals can be muted, isolating the vocal, with the effects applied to one element at a time. Maybe you already know this. You can easily hear the differences, esp. EQ and Comp.
Reaper/Audacity
TASCAM DP 03 SD|Digital deck

#580390 - 02/11/20 09:03 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Mastering [Re: Bernier]
Loc: USA East Coast
epunk Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: USA East Coast
This post from Reaper is about overall approach than about any specific tool or method.

"Why do your recordings sound like a**?"
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Polish for Windows is Here!

Dodaliśmy ponad 50 nowych funkcji do Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Są udoskonalenia ścieżek RealTracks (Delikatniej brzmiące wokale RealTracks, Pogrubianie RealTracks, funkcja "Znajdź odmianę" dla RealTracks i MultiRiffów). Większość RealDrums ma teraz RealCharts (z dokładną Notacją Bębnów). Jest nowa Przeglądarka Artystów RealTracks umożliwiające znalezienie informacji/biografii/linków/listy ścieżek RealTracks dla wszystkich artystów. Nowa Przeglądarka Funkcji pozwala nowym lub "zapominalskim" użytkownikom na łatwe znalezienie i użycie większości funkcji/skrótów/dokumentów z poziomu jednego okna. Funkcja Wyrównaj Tempo pozwala na zmianę utworu nagranego w rytmie rubato i dostosowanie go do ustalonego tempa. Udoskonalono funkcje rozciągania brzmień audio w czasie/wysokości dźwięku (Elastique). Są też udoskonalenia opcji Wybory Utworu, automatycznych wstępów na Basie/Bębnach lub tylko samych bębnach (Auto-Intros), dodano 3,400 tytułów, są udoskonalenia w zakresie MusicXML, mamy widok dla gitarzysty "Leworęcznego" oraz "Widok dla ucznia" przy grze na gitarze, udoskonalenia opcji Przeciągnij i Upuść, multi-okna wyświetlającego Magika Audio Akordów i wiele innych poprawek!

ZAKUP/UAKTUALNIJ & POBIERZ TERAZ!

Add-ons Special EXTENDED! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and VST DAW Plugin for Windows!

Did you see the latest build update announcement for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows?

It’s PACKED with powerful updates, including additional RealCharts, improved RealStyles demos, language support, and significant additions and improvements to the DAW Plugin!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more! In fact, we’ve made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Click here to check it out.

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 b724 for Windows and download it here.

#TipTuesday Band-in-a-Box® Online Manuals - An Excellent Resource!

The Band-in-a-Box® program manuals are available on our Support page - what an excellent online resource to help you get the most out of the program!

Head to our Support | Online Manuals page and you'll have access to both a PDF and an online program manual for Band-in-a-Box® 2018-2020 and RealBand 2018-2020!

Bookmark www.pgmusic.com/manuals/ today!

Forum Stats
32431 Members
68 Forums
65045 Topics
551090 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
narelfr, mrgoodbass, PeteJakson, rawhide, Michael M

32430 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 170
Jim Fogle 152