You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#579200 - 02/02/20 07:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Install problem... ioreg hanging up
Loc: Sydney Land of Oz
mark5009 Offline

Hi.

I suspect this one is very specific to my system as BiaB 2019 installed sweetly on my laptop. On the Mac Pro (running 10.14.6), my main music station, not so much.

It installs fine but when I start it up it hangs on the ioreg process (shows up in the Activity Monitor) and BiaB goes "not responding". I've clean install, rebooted, changed the permissions to root, but nothing is working.

Any one got ideas?

TIA

.. mark.

#579207 - 02/02/20 07:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: mark5009]
mark5009 Offline

and a picture may help? This using the DAW version which shows most clearly BiaB getting stuck, but the same happens for the 64- and 32-bit versions

#579407 - 02/04/20 08:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: mark5009]
Loc: Sillie Con Valley, California
Mike Halloran Offline
Apprentice

What version of 2019? How did you install and where? Please be complete. Which Mac Pro do you have?

#579485 - 02/04/20 10:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: Mike Halloran]
mark5009 Offline

Sorry for the lack of detail.

It is the latest BiaB 2019 Mac Pro with the 317 update installed. I am attempting running it on a Mac Pro mid-2010 (5,1) running 10.14.6 (2x3.33 6-core Xeon with 24Gb memory).

As mentioned, it is getting hung up looking at system resources (ioreg does that) but I can't imagine what is causing the issue. I know it works fine on my Macbook Pro running the same software. Perhaps something in the ioreg output is causing it issues? Just a guess...

.. mark.

#579717 - 02/06/20 03:42 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: mark5009]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Andrew - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hello Mark,

Are you saying that the Band-in-a-Box (desktop) application does not boot up at all on that system?

Can you please create the following file:

/Applications/Band-in-a-Box/Data/WriteBootupLog.txt

Then try running Band-in-a-Box again and post the contents of BootupLog.txt found in that same location.

#579848 - 02/07/20 05:48 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: Andrew - PG Music]
mark5009 Offline

Hi, Andrew.

Thanks for your reply!

Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music

Are you saying that the Band-in-a-Box (desktop) application does not boot up at all on that system?

It boots, but it hangs, and the main window never appears. The only way out is to force quit the process.
Quote:
Can you please create the following file:

Then try running Band-in-a-Box again and post the contents of BootupLog.txt found in that same location.

Here it is
Code:
/Applications/Band-in-a-Box/Data/BootupLog.txt= Log file of bootup times. Paste into Excel for best viewing
LogThis: Start of this:         InitCompleted. MainLoop started [8-2-20 12:33:14] [ms since LogStart(boot)=     0       ],\
 since last LogThis function =  0

Not so helpful...

I tried starting BiaB manually to see if there is anything showing on the terminal:

Code:
$ ./Band-in-a-Box-x64 --help
SUPPORT_ELASTIQUE_V3
Elastique version = 3.3.0
RBActive=false
ATTEMP TO ACCESS gMainWindForm BEFORE IT IS MADE!
[1]    18535 terminated  ./Band-in-a-Box-x64 --help

top shows the BiaB process firing up a shell to run ioreg, then grepping the results, but it never seems to return from that trip, at least on my machine. As mentioned, I suspect it might have something to do with this machine's setup, but it is hard to know just what might be "broken".

Any insights you have would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

.. mark.

#580571 - 02/12/20 02:48 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: Andrew - PG Music]
mark5009 Offline

Bumping this thread. I still got nothing...

Edited by mark5009 (02/12/20 02:49 PM)

#580850 - 02/14/20 03:58 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: mark5009]
mark5009 Offline

Hi.

Complete wipe, reinstall, restart, turn off external IO, BiaB 2019 Mac still hangs running on this mac. Still barfing on a grep of ioreg info (attached).

Really appreciate if someone can help me out here. Getting frustrated...

System info:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.33 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 12
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 24 GB
Boot ROM Version: 144.0.0.0.0

Attachments
ioreg.txt (1 downloads)
Description: ioreg.txt

#580854 - 02/14/20 04:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: mark5009]
Andrew - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

If you put a file called safemode.txt in the Preferences folder, does Band-in-a-Box run?

#580880 - 02/14/20 06:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: mark5009]
Mike Halloran Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: mark5009
Sorry for the lack of detail.

It is the latest BiaB 2019 Mac Pro with the 317 update installed. I am attempting running it on a Mac Pro mid-2010 (5,1) running 10.14.6 (2x3.33 6-core Xeon with 24Gb memory).

As mentioned, it is getting hung up looking at system resources (ioreg does that) but I can't imagine what is causing the issue. I know it works fine on my Macbook Pro running the same software. Perhaps something in the ioreg output is causing it issues? Just a guess...

.. mark.

Please describe your exact process when you installed and fired it up for the first time. Leave nothing out.

I may know the problem but I'm only guessing till I see it. If I'm right, it's a bug and I know the workaround.

#580904 - 02/14/20 07:50 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: Andrew - PG Music]
mark5009 Offline

Hi, Andrew.

If you put a file called safemode.txt in the Preferences folder, does Band-in-a-Box run?

Nope. Unless I got it wrong

Code:
14:48 (swift)$ pwd
/Applications/Band-in-a-Box/Preferences
14:49 (swift)$ ll
total 8
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mark  staff  85 14 Feb 18:43 AboutPrefsFolder.txt*
-rw-r--r--  1 mark  staff   0 15 Feb 14:41 safemode.txt

Same issue occurs...

#580906 - 02/14/20 07:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: Mike Halloran]
mark5009 Offline

Hi, Mike.

Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran

Please describe your exact process when you installed and fired it up for the first time. Leave nothing out.

I may know the problem but I'm only guessing till I see it. If I'm right, it's a bug and I know the workaround.

It was a vanilla install: download files, install in order, enter permissions as needed.

Files installed this latest time in order (I didn't bother with the 317 update as it seems to make no difference to this issue).

Code:
bandinabox_2019_pro.pkg		
realtracks_pro_3.dmg
realtracks_pro_2.dmg		
realtracks_pro_3.dmg
realtracks_pro_4.dmg

Then start the application and watch it bounce, not to come back...

There is quite a lot of other audio applications on this machine, plus plugins and the like, but they also exist on my laptop and that hasn't got this issue (it installed cleanly)

#580929 - 02/14/20 11:47 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: mark5009]
JayO Offline
Expert

Hey Mark,
I'm running almost the same setup here, with the exception of upgraded processors and video card (I've got a 5,1 w/ 2X 3.46 GHz, and a 7970 GPU), and I don't have any similar issues.

It's kind of a long shot, but I'm curious... have you upgraded to a metal compatible GPU, or are you still running the stock 5770 ?
I know from dabbling with a couple of Hackintosh builds I've been involved with, that sometimes the graphics card can cause some ioreg funkiness in Mojave.

- Jay

#581060 - 02/15/20 04:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: mark5009]
Mike Halloran Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: mark5009

Hi, Mike.

It was a vanilla install: download files, install in order, enter permissions as needed.

Files installed this latest time in order (I didn't bother with the 317 update as it seems to make no difference to this issue).

Code:
bandinabox_2019_pro.pkg		
realtracks_pro_3.dmg
realtracks_pro_2.dmg		
realtracks_pro_3.dmg
realtracks_pro_4.dmg

Then start the application and watch it bounce, not to come back...

There is quite a lot of other audio applications on this machine, plus plugins and the like, but they also exist on my laptop and that hasn't got this issue (it installed cleanly)

Is everything installed on the System/boot drive or have you installed your Real Tracks and Drums onto a different drive or?

#581065 - 02/15/20 05:38 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: JayO]
mark5009 Offline

Hi, Jay.

Originally Posted By: JayO
Hey Mark,
I'm running almost the same setup here, with the exception of upgraded processors and video card (I've got a 5,1 w/ 2X 3.46 GHz, and a 7970 GPU), and I don't have any similar issues.

It's kind of a long shot, but I'm curious... have you upgraded to a metal compatible GPU, or are you still running the stock 5770 ?
I know from dabbling with a couple of Hackintosh builds I've been involved with, that sometimes the graphics card can cause some ioreg funkiness in Mojave.

Huh. That's interesting. I also do some video work on this box and it has an upgraded GPU, a Radeon RX580

Code:
Chipset Model:	Radeon RX 580
  Type:	GPU
  Bus:	PCIe
  Slot:	Slot-2
  PCIe Lane Width:	x16
  VRAM (Total):	8 GB
  Vendor:	AMD (0x1002)
  Device ID:	0x67df
  Revision ID:	0x00e7
  Metal:	Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

My issue could be related to that (entries do exist in the ioreg tree). Hard to know without knowing just what the PG Music devs are looking for with that grep on ioreg.

For me ripping out the video card is not really an option, not even for BiaB

#581066 - 02/15/20 05:40 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: Mike Halloran]
mark5009 Offline

Hi, Mike.

Is everything installed on the System/boot drive or have you installed your Real Tracks and Drums onto a different drive or?

At this stage it is all vanilla with everything on the boot drive (a 256Gb SSD). My plan was to off load tracks and drums at a later stage.

#581070 - 02/15/20 06:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: mark5009]
JayO Offline
Expert

Hey Mark,
Well I quickly threw the stock 5770 back in my machine just now and confirmed that BIAB does in fact launch, although I really didn't test it much.
Possibly if you have the stock card you could try it temporarily, just for troubleshooting purposes to see if BIAB launches.

Although I'm not really sure if that could be the problem at this point.
My 7970 is basically an RX380, which the same basic architecture as yours, albeit a lower tier card.

I wasn't sure if you were running an Nvidia card (with those web drivers that change every week). crazy

Like I said it was kind of a long shot, but I figured I'd ask.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but hopefully the PG folks will be able to come up with something.

- Jay

#581073 - 02/15/20 08:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: JayO]
mark5009 Offline

Hi, Jay.

Originally Posted By: JayO
Hey Mark,
Well I quickly threw the stock 5770 back in my machine just now and confirmed that BIAB does in fact launch, although I really didn't test it much.
Possibly if you have the stock card you could try it temporarily, just for troubleshooting purposes to see if BIAB launches.

Not sure where the stock card is anymore, but I'll go searching (thought I was over this kind of thing. Oh well.)

I deliberately avoided the NVIDIA cards for just that reason, though the RX580 is a generic rather than Mac-boot card: a lot cheaper that way though it might cause this issue. I've got no idea of what the PG Music guys are doing spawning a shell to run up ioreg but I guess it si happening for a reason. Just wish someone who knows would fill in the dots... :-/

Thanks again

#581746 - 02/20/20 07:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Install problem... ioreg hanging up [Re: Andrew - PG Music]
mark5009 Offline

Nope. Is there any way of finding out what the grep is looking for so I can check it? There will be a regexp or similar that it is barfing on...

Some thoughts: this has all the hallmarks of ancient code that "just works" and now nobody seems to know what it is there for. I can't think of any reason to spawn a shell to do this kind of thing. And it certainly won't be in the Win code base. So, as part of the coming together has this been looked at?

TIA,

PG Music News
#MusicMonday - Share your Latest Band-in-a-Box® Song!

Let's hear your latest Band-in-a-Box® song! Don't be shy - post it as a reply, or head to our User Showcase Forum to share it there!

New to Band-in-a-Box® and unsure of how to get started? We have a few resources to help you out!

Forums - packed with helpful program users!
Online Manual - specifically "Chapter 2: QuickStart" (Mac users, click here.)
Support Videos - sorted for easy searching! All of these are also shared on our YouTube Channel.

Of course, you can always reach out to our team directly too! www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

#TBT The Band-in-a-Box® 2010 "Plug-in" Mode!

Did you know... the "Plug-in" mode was first launched with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2010 for Windows!

With the 2010 "Plug-in" mode, Band-in-a-Box® opened as a small always-on-top window, and acted as a plug-in for your favorite DAW/sequencer, so that you could Drag-and-drop MIDI and audio (WAV) tracks from Band-in-a-Box to your favorite sequencer. You could work in your favorite sequencer, type a progression in Band-in-a-Box, and then simply drag the track from Band-in-a-Box to your sequencer’s track at the desired track and bar location.

To learn more about the new features that were launched with Band-in-a-Box® 2010 for Windows, check out Band-in-a-Box® 2010 "Plug-in" mode feature highlighted in our Band-in-a-Box® 2010 New Features Video at 10:50!

The "Plug-in" mode development didn't stop there - With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 we introduced the "Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin" which now works DIRECTLY INSIDE YOUR DAW (Cakewalk, Reaper, Pro Tools, PreSonus, etc.). Learn more about this feature here.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - No Sound with MIDI?

Have you ever experienced a No Sound issue when you're working with MIDI in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac?

We have an online tutorial that can walk you through some troubleshooting to resolve this, but why not check out our newest YouTube video instead?

Click here to watch...

Of course, you can always reach out to us directly if you're in need of assistance with the program!

#TipTuesday - The Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Feature Browser!

Don't underestimate the power of the Feature Browser added with Band-in-a-Box® 2020! This is a GREAT resource when you "know that you knew a feature" but just can't quite remember how to find it!

Simply click on the [?] at the top of the program (near the Mixer on the right) to launch this feature. From there, simply type in your query, or choose from the long list that appears in the Feature Browser window. If you're typing it in, you'll see that list change to only show the results that could fit your search - once you find what you're looking for, you can read more about it when you choose [Manual], if there's a video for the feature you can choose [Video] to view it, OR - if you don't need to read about the feature and just want to USE it, choose [Do it] and you're all set!

Watch this new feature in action when you jump to the subject in our New Features video:

10:19 - New Feature - Feature Browser

Give the Gift of Music with Band-in-a-Box®!

Did you wait too long to purchase flowers, a card, or book a restaurant for Valentine's Day? Or, maybe material gifts just aren't your thing?

Why not whip together a song in Band-in-a-Box? It's as easy as typing in some chords, choosing a style, and pressing play!

Or, take it a step further with the help of the Audio Chord Wizard and our StylePicker Song Titles Browser feature!
How???
-Use the Audio Chord Wizard to analyze their favorite song and provide you with the chord progression
-Take that chord progression and start a new project in Band-in-a-Box (choose "Erase the Audio WAV file in BB" | Enable style)
-Head to the StylePicker window, search for a style for that song using the "Song Titles Browser" Feature (top right)
-Choose from the list provided
-Press Play!

Like what you hear? Save it, and viola!

Holiday Hours - Family Day (Mon, Feb 17)

Monday, February 17th is Family Day!

Our hours on this holiday will be:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed.

Regular hours resume Tuesday, February 18th.

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Get Out Your Guitar with Band-in-a-Box®!

Today is Get Out Your Guitar Day! To celebrate, "they" recommend gathering up a few friends with guitars to ROCK!

But, what if you're unable to round up your crew? That's where Band-in-a-Box® comes in!

There are more than 1,100 Guitar RealTracks available in Sets 1-352 by over 50 RealTracks Artists! Jam along with any of them when you create your own song using Guitar RealTracks, or play one of the demo songs for any Guitar you choose in the RealTracks picker dialog - simply choose your Guitar and click on the [Song Demo...] button within that window.

OR take it even farther when you head to the Soloist within Band-in-a-Box® and choose "Trade" when generating a Guitar Soloist track - choose between 2, 4, or 8 bars!

Learn more about the Trade option within Band-in-a-Box in Chapter 9 | "The Soloist" of our Online Manual.

Forum Stats
31234 Members
63 Forums
62491 Topics
528743 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
dBirch, Ery, peterindc, eligilbertbanjo, Ray170644

31234 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 138
Pipeline 134