Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I still use Adobe Audition 1.5 daily. It's adapted from the old Cool Edit Pro. I know it cold and it does most of what I want. It's ancient by now.

Yes, I also use a DAW, but for many purposes, it's good to have a stereo file editor.

Adobe Audition has two main drawbacks:

1) it crashes a lot, especially when the full file is not in view
2) it does not understand the newest plugins, like VST3 (and I've converted to 64-bit in just about everything)

I also have Adobe Audition 3, but it suffers from bloat, won’t share ASIO and also doesn't recognize VST3 plugins.

So I just tried the demo versions of WaveLab Elements and SoundForge.

What a difference! WaveLab (by Steinberg) makes you jump through registration hoops, but the program just looks modern and handles all my plugins.

Sound Forge looked functional but felt 'old'. It reminded me of another program you might know. And although it comes with extensive effects, I could not figure out how to add my plugins. The look and feel of the program did not inspire me to try further.

So, if you are still with me, what are you using? Is anyone here using WaveLab? Anyone using Sound Forge? Still suffering with Audition? Something else? Yes, I'm familiar with Audacity; I need something much more powerful.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Watching. And the fine print is on point

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Can you be specific about the editing needs? I used to use ancient versions of Cool Edit Pro, Goldwave and Sound Forge. But ever since I started using Tracktion as my DAW in early 2000’s, I find the built in audio clip editor does everything I need it to do. The ability to drag VSTs directly onto the clip for non destructive editing is a really cool feature, drag over cross fading, one touch fades of linear, exponential and sigmoid types, etc. Inside the DAW. What is it you are needing?

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I tend to use a DAW (Reaper or Cakewalk) or maybe Melodyne but for a bit of simple manipulation I have used Audacity for years. Audacity is free, very commonly used with a lot of addons that make it reasonably versatile. Given the common usage it has a lot of info on various tasks if you need it.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Matt are you trying to work on one song file or a group of them?

If I were just trying to exit one song I would just do that in my DAW. I used to use a couple audio editors. Gave them up cause it didn’t seem to help. Cakewalk has some pretty decent audio tools.

If I am trying to master a group of songs I use the project page in studio one.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks, everyone. As many of you know, there may be lots of overlap between a DAW and a powerful stereo editor. Adobe Audition could even be considered a DAW when in multitrack mode. I tend to work in a DAW when recording or assembling multiple tracks. Then I normally work with the exported stereo file for final tweaking in a stereo audio editor. Specifics are different, as each project requires its own approach.

Also, inertia is a powerful deterrent to switching tools. I’ve used Audition or its predecessor daily for over thirty years.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt,

I hardly ever use it, I find Audacity is faster for the few times I edit audio files, but I have Soundforge (11), it came with the Samplitude Pro Suite when they were offering it at "fire sale prices" (when Gibson dropped Sonar). I have used it but not alot.

to get at and use your VST's use:

"View -> Plug-in Manager" (or CTRL+Atl+1) to find your VSTs and apply them to waveform or parts thereof

and "View -> Plug-in Chain" (or Ctrl+Alt+0) to create a chain of FX's. The Chain can be named and saved

I think you already figured out the Options -> Preferences is where you add paths for your VST's

Again I don't use it much.

IMHO - If you don't already have a version of Soundforge that works or that you want to upgrade from then the price relative to free Audacity or $99 Wavelab (BTW Steinberg has ALWAYS been a PITA when it comes to making you hop-jump), or just using your DAW (as you already know and mentioned) would not be worth it unless you do a significant amount of wavefile/audio editing.

good luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Reaper and Audacity.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I still use Audition V1.5 here daily both for recording and editing audio.

I also have Audition V3.0, which I used as my DAW until I switched over to Reaper a few years ago.

I've never found a program that allows me to quickly and seamlessly punch in notes like Audition 1.5 can, and that's something I do quite often. Which is quite remarkable, considering how old the program is!

I don't need it to understand modern plugins, the plugins get added to the file once it's in Reaper.

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Also, inertia is a powerful deterrent to switching tools. I’ve used Audition or its predecessor daily for over thirty years.

Yes, very true! Same here, I started with Cool Edit.

EDIT: Matt, in your OP you mentioned you tried WaveLab. Other than the registration problems did you find it to be comparable in functionality?

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 02/14/20 12:15 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
WaveLab appears to have more functions than I could have imagined. I’ll keep playing with it.

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Since you'll be starting from scratch you should strive for what's best and not necessarily someone's favorite. Aim for a program made for the job and that is stable as well as compatible with a DAW.

Still using Adobe Audition 1.5 means nearly any current program will be far advanced from what you're use to.

I recommend Studio One Professional. It has a very powerful Project page designed for stereo editing and mastering. It has high quality plug-ins, tools and very well designed and useful presets. It is a professional, commercial grade product designed to do specifically what you're needing.

I think it will be suitable to you for several other reasons too.

. It will work extremely well in both the DAW and Project page with your X-Touch controller.
. There are templates available making setup of the X-touch quite easy and quick.
. There are commercial grade covers to go onto your X-Touch identifying all the faders, buttons and knobs to match the X-Touch to the DAW/Project commands.
. There is seamless integration between the DAW and the Project Page. For instance, if you're editing stereo file and discover you need to make a minor fader change on an individual instrument, you can make the change on the DAW page and it automatically updates the Project Page stereo file.

I don't think you should concern yourself about the learning curve. There will be a learning curve at some level with any new software you choose. But in your case, with Studio One, you don't have to learn the entire software. You need it specifically for stereo editing. Everything else about the program can be considered a future benefit and can be ignored until the day you either choose it as DAW or accidentally discover a feature and include into your workflow. It's simply a case that you'll have more than you need for the day you need more than you have. wink

There are ton's of tutorials on YouTube and entire channels dedicated to Studio One Software. I have no doubt you will be able to install the software, Install and set up your Audio interface and sound modules, install and set up your X-Touch, install and set up a Keyboard, load and edit your first stereo file in less than a day.

It will also help future proof your studio. Studio One stays current with changes in the hardware sector of the industry and is very stable with most manufacturers products. It has pro grade plug-ins and works seamlessly with most after market VST's. (PG Music's Band in a Box VST included.) Regarding future proofing your studio, I know you've had your X-Touch for several years and may need or consider replacing it or upgrading in the not to distant future. A Major benefit you get with Studio One that no other DAW can match in its price range is the tight integration between the DAW and Presonus's controllers, Faderport 8 or Faderport 16. Presonus's latest version upgrade release has put Faderport integration as the main new upgrade feature and the controllers access and control the DAW VST's both factory and third party.

In your situation, if you don't use it for nothing more than the project page and the additional VST's it includes and the high quality presets, you'll get your money's worth.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Studio one is an excellent DAW, no question about that!
It's one of the ones I evaluated when I decided it was time to switch from using Audition 3 as my DAW.
It is not however as good (or as easy might be a better way to put it) as Audition 1.5 for editing or punching in audio, and I spent quite a few hours evaluating it and learning what it could do. IMHO of course wink

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
Matt are you trying to work on one song file or a group of them?

If I were just trying to exit one song I would just do that in my DAW. I used to use a couple audio editors. Gave them up cause it didn’t seem to help. Cakewalk has some pretty decent audio tools.

If I am trying to master a group of songs I use the project page in studio one.

Master a group? How the heck do you do that?

Bud

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Studio one is an excellent DAW, no question about that!
It's one of the ones I evaluated when I decided it was time to switch from using Audition 3 as my DAW.
It is not however as good (or as easy might be a better way to put it) as Audition 1.5 for editing or punching in audio, and I spent quite a few hours evaluating it and learning what it could do. IMHO of course wink

It is an excellent DAW. However, my recommendation to Matt is for it's value as a stereo editor, of which the Project Page is a pro grade version. Audition 1.5 was released in 2004. Any current software will be more feature laden and require some time learning what it can do.

Matt said: "Yes, I also use a DAW, but for many purposes, it's good to have a stereo file editor." Once installed and set up, Matt should be able to learn stereo editing in an hour. Matt continues: "I tend to work in a DAW when recording or assembling multiple tracks. Then I normally work with the exported stereo file for final tweaking in a stereo audio editor. Specifics are different, as each project requires its own approach."

Yes, Studio One has dozens if not hundreds of features beyond Audition 1.5, and yes, the specifics Matt needs for editing differ between projects, I speculate the specifics don't vary a lot over time and different projects. My point is that Matt doesn't need the same editing tools on every project but every project is repetitious to the total tools and techniques Matt uses. There are probably a certain set of commands he uses over and over as needed per project. Initially, Matt will only need to learn the tools and techniques in Studio One that he uses on all his projects in Audition 1.5.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The one tool that noone mentions is the multiband compressor. It's difficult but once Mastered.it ends a lot of issues

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: silvertones
The one tool that noone mentions is the multiband compressor. It's difficult but once Mastered.it ends a lot of issues

I use Waves LinMB multi compressor on every project. It will open up a mix like nothing else I’ve used. That!

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Diamond Cut Audio Restoration Tools (DCArt) (diamondcut.com) for me. Have used it since Win95 days and have helped beta test it several times. It supports VST effects and has a quick-edit mode and a traditional edit mode. Once you learn just a few keyboard shortcuts, it is very easy to navigate. You can load multiple files in a tabbed display and it's easy to copy/paste (with options to paste over, paste insert, etc). Lots of audio filters and effects included, and with VST effects, there is little you cannot do. And like PGMusic, the developers are very responsive on the forum to help you (Craig Meier and Rick Carlson). It also has an audio library feature and saves nicely to MP3 (and other formats).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Let me address a few of these questions and comments, again with my thanks for your interest.

Yes, I do a lot of just plain stereo editing for clients. I do even more for myself to make my composer demos.

John Ford, thanks, I did get Diamond Cut Pro on your recommendation. It's an especially good tool for noise removal. I'll take another look now that you say it handles VSTs to see if that includes my newer ones.

Larry, -1 for annoying hoops in all things Steinberg. But I have Dorico (tried it, still don't like it) so it wasn't too bad the second time around.

Silvertones, I use multiband compressors and I use them from a plugin. My ancient Adobe Audition doesn't recognize my newer plugins, and this is one of my two main reasons for a change.

BlueAttitude, the other main reason I want to change is too many abrupt crashes when I forget to unzoom. If you make the mistake of zooming and previewing a portion of the song (especially in multitrack mode) and you don't stop playback before the end of the selected section, bang, gone. Recovery might or might not bring it back. Does that happen to you? Very annoying.

Bud, perhaps the concept of 'master a group of songs' refers to how I handle mastering to burn a CD. I use the program CD Architect, which allows adjustment of each song so the project is coherent throughout. My favorite technique is to pretend I have an old turntable, where you pick up the needle and set it down anywhere. Does it have coherence in terms of volume and energy wherever you set the needle down, or does one song blast you out where another makes you want to turn up volume? Or 'mastering a group' might mean something entirely different...

About Studio One, which several have mentioned, thanks. I did try that when SONAR went defunct temporarily. I have moved back to Cakewalk by Bandlab. Otherwise, I would have stayed with Mixcraft 9. But I did not evaluate Studio One for its use as a stereo editor. Likewise for the stereo editing features of any other DAW. As I'm an expert in Adobe Audition, I never considered using a DAW for this, instead thinking I would just update my stereo editor.

Apologies for any other major points I did not address. Thank you all.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt

Of course you know if you do invest in Wavelab it will go on sale a week later, so let me know when you buy it so I can be on the lookout for a deal grin

Good Luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So true! Larry, I strive to help!

I like what I’ve seen so far. There is no competitive product cross grade, and I no longer qualify for educational pricing, but the Elements ‘lite’ version is a very reasonable $100.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195