Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
C
OP Offline
C
Hi, I am a new user of Real Band but have some knowledge of MIDI, VST and DAW use. I have exported a .MGU file from BB into Real Band for the first time. I have it doing everything I want so far after a couple of hours of use, except on one critical point. Every time I restart the song the midi volumes set to a a default level, and the changes that I make in the Real Band mixer are not holding. It only holds the changes in a temporary mode during playback. I cannot save any changes to the midi track volumes. Do you have any suggestions for me on this? Thanks very much for any help on this; I definitely need to resolve this problem to go further with RB. Best regards, Clifford cec102@gmx.com

Update No. 1 (but no real progress yet):

I have worked with applying the CC 7 cut removal method from all tracks involves as is described in:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=531540&Searchpage=2&Main=76074&Words=volume+reset&Search=true#Post531540

but, unfortunately, it did not work and I saw no effect. Also the CTRL option does not show up until I enter into the second window, but I think I understand the method outlined. I saw no error messages but have not found an event listing editor in RB yet to try and check on any CC7 removals. I do have some idea of this method and approach as I have used a similar method in other programs and usually end up getting through the problem. It is a hassle but I understand the method going on there.

What I question here is that I am not having any such behavior or problem in BB even though I am using the same MIDI tracks that play in there. It is true in BB that the volume changes are not SAVED during file closure, but the volume changes DO HOLD during playing, stopping, and restarting the playing without any issue. That is a huge difference from having the volumes reset every time that playback is stopped in RB (same song for both programs). BB is handling the problem in a reasonable fashion, but RB is not handling the same midi tracks in the same way during a playback, mixing, stopping, restarting, etc. The whole point of mixing is to be able to adjust, stop, reset, export, etc. BB holds the volume changes, RB does not to me.

It seems like a real drag to have to get into CC7 event editing with multiple midi tracks going on and changing all the time, but so far that idea does not seem to be working regardless. Is it not reasonable to just have the mixer hold the settings, at least long enough to get a decent audio export file, or upon starting, stopping and restarting playback of the song?

That is the status update so far. Not looking good. Your suggestions more than welcome. Best regards, CEC

Last edited by carnicom; 02/27/20 03:43 PM. Reason: additional info
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If you select a MIDI track in Realband and press F2, you will see the event list for that track.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
C
OP Offline
C
JFord,

Thanks very much for this critical and helpful information (F2); it has made the difference in getting through this situation. I did not see that command on a menu or context menu option yet, so for now I will most definitely make a strong note of it until I can find it within the menus or manual.

So my report is:

Getting access to the event information was essential, thank you. I still find it to be quirky, but I can get to what I need which is what is important (mixer volumes not jumping around during playback sequences). Within the F2 event list, I am able to delete the C7 listing. What is strange is that going to the beginning of the song seems to have a way of re-initiating and re-embedding the C7 listing so the problem would just start all over again. I know it sounds quirky, but if I delete it again or enough, then it finally stays away. So I get there, just not sure exactly why I seem to need to repeat things to have the change hold.

I will look at the next song more closely to see what is actually happening, but for now I would say a successful work around is in place, but that I still find the behavior or logic of the program going on to be a bit confusing or non-intuitive. But F2 eventually allows me to get in and get the mixer volumes settled down.

Thanks so much, this makes all the difference and allow me to proceed and hopefully now also start using RB on a regular basis.

Best regards, CEC

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I've never seen where when I've explicitly deleted commands from the event list that they come back; you may need to check other MIDI tracks to see if they might be duplicated on other tracks (just a thought).

And, are you saving your project as a .SEQ file or back to a MIDI file? (Don't know if it makes a difference, but you can lose some stuff when you save back to MIDI; whereas a .SEQ file keeps everything that RealBand does.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Expert
Expert
HI
The changes you make in the REALBAND mixer are only in memory, to make them stick you must take a snap shot this will hard write the changes into the midi file at the current cursor position. And stay in effect until the next snap shot.
So don’t forget to save your initial setting at the beginning of the file
The snap shot button is at the bottom of the mixer.

Note if your midi file already has multiple snap shots in it you will have to clean those out,

You may find this old thread of mine helpful with real band MIDI mixing have a scan through it all some good info here from John
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=62683&Number=418541#Post418541

Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 02/28/20 11:41 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
RealBand
C
OP Offline
C
Very happy to report on good news. All comments received have been helpful and taken to advantage. Access to and knowledge of the event editor, at the basic level, is the saving grace here in the end; I also see now where it is the menu layout now.

I am working with eternal midi files as my source material on this project. These were imported into BB and the project was successful there. Bringing the project into RB has brought in a different level of understanding.

Whereas BB can just repeat the verse, in RB I extended (duplicated on horizontal axis in a DAW mode) the midi tracks. If I had any C7 commands in the file they were being repeated the same number of times I had extended the verses. This repeat C7 commands were causing the very confusing mixer resets.

The issue was cleaning house in the event editor over the full range of the midi tracks. Much more pleasant now and the program behavior is consistent and makes sense. The work is at a favorable and fun stage again.

I will keep an eye on what i have learned here and if I can keep moving the learning curve forward. Thanks for the great help.

The reason for getting involved with RB was to extend the use of VST instruments beyond the melody and soloist tracks. My project is developing custom accompaniment tracks for a novice dulcimer player, and that is admittedly me.

Thanks again, with best regards, CEC

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
There's an 'E' icon on your screen for Event List.
That and F2 are pretty easy ways of accessing the Event Editor.

Quote:
.. and the changes that I make in the Real Band mixer are not holding.

If you are now saving this song as a SEQ file, you can also go to the Mixer window and use 'Record mixer moves'.
Doing it this way allows you to record your actual mixer changes so they get written to the file once saved.

Another option is to 'Make all BB tracks regular tracks'.
If you are generally happy with what you already have for any generated parts, this makes the tracks behave more like DAW tracks.
They play the same every time unless you specifically regenerate that part.

Plus you can easily edit/regenerate just certain sections of a given track, etc.
Then comes Multiriff which lets you generate a bunch of different versions of a track (or section of a track) many times in one pass so you can pick and choose what you like from many possibilities.

RB is different, but it's pretty fun once you get into it.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,337
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182