You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#590803 - 04/09/20 06:39 AM [User Showcase] The Beacon
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

The idea for this one came from Chris, she sent me a demo with vocal and piano and we developed it from there.

The Beacon

The band:

1189:Bass, Electric, HardRockWaltz Ev 140
372:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 120
1183:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopWaltzGrittyArp Ev 120

Chris did the piano, strings, and Pad and I played the lead guitar parts. I used EZDrummer2 for the drums.

Mixed in Reaper, mastered with Ozone 9.

The Beacon (2020, Christiane Spruit)

Where are we now?
Set our sail
Drifting too far from the shore

Break open sky
Lurk in the night
Steering the boat by sight

Northern wind blows
Cold hand of hope
Howling and creaks in the ropes

Beacons light
Shine on and fight
Don't leave our ship to the night

(Chorus)

Blow boys blow
bring back the ship to the shore
Blow boys blow

Where are we now?
Running aground
Steering the ship by sight

Beacons light,
Shine on we'll fight
Don't leave our ship to the night.

(Chorus)

Also on soundcloud (sound quality not as good) here: https://soundcloud.com/blue-attitude/the-beacon-featuring-chris-spruit

And youtube:

As always, all comments are welcome!

Edited by BlueAttitude (04/11/20 01:53 AM)
Edit Reason: added youtube link

#590833 - 04/09/20 08:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Dave & Chris,
An unusual blend of styles - blues rock ballad with a drift towards trad.folk on the chorus
( love that almost sea shanty feel of the "blow boys blow")and very much to my taste!
Those searing guitar breaks are amazing and the drums are nicely subtle- I wish I knew how to create an intro like that.
Simple lyrics with a consistent metaphor, beautifully sung.
One of your best!

Robert

#590837 - 04/09/20 10:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
I like the cinematic celtic folk feeling. The mood of seas is very present in the music: the piano has nice melancholy tone and the drums have nice bouncy rhythm. I can feel the northern wind blowing. Enjoyable guitar playing, the solo guitar melody is very beautiful. Chris's amazing voice on top of that turns this into a small masterpiece which I want to listen to again and again.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#590841 - 04/09/20 10:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Dave / Chris,

The imagery in this song is so vivid. The guitar lines, production, vocals all are top notch. You guys never have a missed moment - the songs always shine.

Excellent work!

Bob

#590849 - 04/09/20 11:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Loved this song. Piano was excellent. Super vocal and lyric. The chord changes were excellent as well. Guitar was gritty and fit the song perfectly. Loved the tailing harmonics on your solo. Sounded so good on the headphones Really neat picture on the reverberation site as well. One of my favs of yours

#590867 - 04/09/20 12:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Tiger Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this. It is a real pleasure to see other people's work, as I am just starting out creating my own songs, mixing and mastering, etc.

I wanted to comment on the mix, or possibly ask you why you did something. The singer's voice seemed lost in the mix; almost as if some effect had been put on that made it muddy. I had to read the words to figure out what she was saying.

I stayed on to hear the next three Blue Attitude tracks, and the singer was much clearer on those tracks. Being a singer, I want the singer to stand out as much as the beautiful guitar solos!

Forgive me if my ears need cleaning...

Glenn

#590880 - 04/09/20 12:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Dave and Chris,

Well here is the real runner up on Valantines Way! The beacon, with very nice, mysteriously, sweet, dark, but strong vocals. In that case I don't agree with Glenns' words (post above), or maybe my ears need cleaning as well.
I also enjoyed the rhythm of the drums in it, it really supports the melody. And what a beautiful solo you played till the end of this (much too short) song!
So a lot of compliments and just one complain. I think the both of you must be very proud you achieved this result.
It makes you forget there is a virus outside...

Thanks a for this song,
Hans

#590919 - 04/09/20 04:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Queensland, Australia
mkg50 (Mike G) Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Queensland, Australia
Shiver me timbers, what booty have we here? A ghostly sea shanty waltz with some Pink Floydian guitar. It could be a new genre.
Chris, I love your piano work, especially in the earlier part of the piece, and of course your vocals are, as always, on song.
Add in Dave's great guitar work and those beguiling drums and we have a wonderful original work.
Thanks for sharing,
Mike

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172

#590927 - 04/09/20 04:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
WOW this is really good. Chris's vocal is super as is his piano and other instruments.! Dave's guitar is icing on the cake. The backing tracks are perfect.

Great work that you should both be very proud.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#590951 - 04/09/20 06:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
jptjptjpt Offline
Expert

Great atmosphere. I liked the lyrics and vocals. Nice sparse instrumentation. Loved the lead guitar parts. Good job to both of you.

https://youtu.be/JwblUfdbsEk

My music can be heard at: http://thecracks.bandcamp.com/

#590977 - 04/09/20 08:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Dave / Chris

A truly wonderful piece of music. Excellent in every way. Chris' piano and vocals were excellent.
The melody build up and narrative were superb.

Loved the guitar (great bend at 2.50).

Top notch.

Peter

#591020 - 04/10/20 04:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: Robertkc]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Dave & Chris,
An unusual blend of styles - blues rock ballad with a drift towards trad.folk on the chorus
( love that almost sea shanty feel of the "blow boys blow")and very much to my taste!
Those searing guitar breaks are amazing and the drums are nicely subtle- I wish I knew how to create an intro like that.
Simple lyrics with a consistent metaphor, beautifully sung.
One of your best!

Robert

Hi, Robert,

Yes, Chris was going for a Sea Shanty feel with the chorus.

As far as the drums go, there is no way to do an intro like that with BIAB drums AFAIK. I mostly use RealDrums, but for stuff like this EZDrummer2 is the best choice IMHO, very easily done using that tool.

Thanks!

#591052 - 04/10/20 07:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Online   content
Expert

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Great job, Dave & Chris!! Love nautical themes, especially mysterious ones.
"Northern wind blows
Cold hand of hope
Howling and creaks in the ropes"
Piano sounds perfect, and the guitar always shines bright.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper & Cakewalk

#591058 - 04/10/20 07:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Great work - sets a really nice vibe, and the theme of the song is unique and attention grabbing too. Thought the mix was stellar as well - it flows really well.

Thanks for sharing smile

#591075 - 04/10/20 09:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Dave & Chris,

Add one more terrific offering from Blue Attitude. If we could turn back the clock, I would not be surprise to hear you guys "got a deal". And we would all wait anxiously for the next record to come out...

Nice everything - as always... piano, bass, DRUMS! (great sound). Chris' usual excellent vocal. Dave's always smoking leads. And the usual solid mix.

On my third listen. (that says it all for me)

fj

#591128 - 04/10/20 01:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Expert

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Dave and Chris—

Beautifully done—haunting and powerful. Really sweet vocal, Chris—really sails in the chorus (no pun intended). And some great guitar work as always Dave. Love the tune! Great work!

Best regards,

Deej

#591136 - 04/10/20 02:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Wow, the BlueAttitude team certainly knows how to deliver.

Refreshingly different, and superbly produced.

There's so much to like about this. The lead guitar provides a really powerful driving feature.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#591176 - 04/10/20 05:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
I listen to a lot of nautical music (old stuff), this was really good. There are a lot of great nautical tunes you guys could do if you wanted, they all are public domain. But whatever you do, it's always first class.

#591230 - 04/11/20 01:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: jannesan]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jannesan
I like the cinematic celtic folk feeling. The mood of seas is very present in the music: the piano has nice melancholy tone and the drums have nice bouncy rhythm. I can feel the northern wind blowing. Enjoyable guitar playing, the solo guitar melody is very beautiful. Chris's amazing voice on top of that turns this into a small masterpiece which I want to listen to again and again.

Janne

Very happy you liked this one, thanks, Janne!

#591296 - 04/11/20 07:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Beacon [Re: jannesan]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Originally Posted By: jannesan

Janne

We rarely quote but Janne really nailed it.

This is one of the best builds we've heard in a production...remarkably effective.

"Epic" is over used, admittedly, but this is an epic ballad.

Janice said she was getting very worried about the sailors near the end, i.e., great imagery.

And BlueAttitude never disappoints with guitar and vocal! And Chris's work on her instrumentals
is perfecto for the feel.

Enjoyed the audio and vid...

J&B

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 contient quelques 80 fonctionnalités inédites!

Nous avons beaucoup travaillé pour offrir à Band-in-a-Box® 2021® cette étonnante panoplie de quelques 80 fonctions inédites et sa collection de contenus originaux à savoir : 202 RealTracks, des RealStyles inédits, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes Instrument, des Performances Artiste, un Bonus RealDrums "Solo", des transcriptions RealDrums, les MultiStyles PAK 1, les Xtra Styles PAKs 10 et 11, et bien plus encore!

Achat | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Forum Stats
34888 Members
66 Forums
70875 Topics
613822 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Zajdlik, Sironedragon, Bestmengqin, qcfoetus, Phantomio

34887 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 196