Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box VST and Pro Tools/AAX DAW Plugin (Windows)
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I work with Band-in-a-Box 2018 and REAPER and I’m wondering if the 2020 VST DAW plugin will output MIDI into my REAPER tracks. PG Music's tutorial video shows the VST generating audio only; I want it to generate MIDI for REAPER. Can it do this?

By the way, I'm posting here because thus far neither PG Music's online chat nor e-mail support appears to know the answer. I tried 1-866-983-2474, but when I called I got a recorded message saying that PG Music no longer offers phone support.

Thanks.

Windows 10 Home v2004
MOTU M2 USB Audio Interface firmware v1.02
MOTU M Series ASIO Driver v4.0.8.4479
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: XilburQost
I work with Band-in-a-Box 2018 and REAPER and I’m wondering if the 2020 VST DAW plugin will output MIDI into my REAPER tracks. PG Music's tutorial video shows the VST generating audio only; I want it to generate MIDI for REAPER. Can it do this?

Thanks.

The answer is yes. But it will use its GM for sound when auditioning a track. You have to drag and drop into your DAW to hear your better sounding synth.

One of my requests for the VSTi is for it to be able to attach each MIDI track to a DAW track. That way you can hear your BiaB tracks being played by your DAW sounds and not the included GM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks MarioD. I currently use BnB 2018 to export MIDI to a file, which I then import into REAPER, but that's time-consuming, especially when I'm frequently updating the BnB file. I guess I'm hoping the VST will expedite this process.

Windows 10 Home v2004
A
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
A
Hi Mario, the plugin should output midi to the track its on so if you place a synth after the biab plugin on the same track, you should be able to hear that midi file played through your synth. Hope this helps!

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I would love to see a video on that process.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms

I'll second that.

Windows 10 Home v2004
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Adar - PG Music
Hi Mario, the plugin should output midi to the track its on so if you place a synth after the biab plugin on the same track, you should be able to hear that midi file played through your synth. Hope this helps!

Since when? Or is the operative word “should”. Will check this out in the morning. Fingers-crossed smile

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Since when? Or is the operative word “should”. Will check this out in the morning. Fingers-crossed smile

OK, I tried and failed (v2.6.8). It will take a better man than I to get this working the way it "should". Good luck.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Expert
Expert
Hi

I don’t have Reaper, but I do use Bandlabs Cakewalk.
Not certain that this is what you want to do but it works fine for me.

First I open Cakewalk on a new blank project.
This is set up to use my Coolsoft Virtual Synth and a Yamaha xg sound font for midi.
Next inset BIAB Daw as a soft synth
Open an existing BIAB MGU (all midi style and melody).in the Daw.
Important: GENERATE the song
The midi tracks for all the style and melody should now show in the Daw (bright yellow).
Now I can drag each midi track to Cakewalk and it will put them on a midi track for me. Depending on your Daw you may have to make empty midi tracks to drag to.

Now the song plays as midi via my Coolsoft synth in Cakewalk.

Have fun
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I'm a song writer wannabe and Band-in-a-Box 2018 is an invaluable creative tool. I use it primary to generate rhythm, drums and bass line ideas for my songs. The style choices are really great!

Again, when I find BnB solution I like, I export it as MIDI, or sometimes XML, and then import that into REAPER. I then need to assign instruments and whatnot to the BnB MIDI tracks. My primary interest in BnB 2020 is the VST and whether that will streamline my workflow. While the audio quality of the RealTracks is astounding, I prefer to work with MIDI tracks which I can edit post-BnB.

Windows 10 Home v2004
Expert
Expert
HI

Well I’m not certain that you will gain much from the Daw (shock horror!)
To my mind for what you want to do, get midi tracks from Biab into any daw the drop box in Biab top left should suffice I would have thought.
Ducking for cover.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
Hi
Now I can drag each midi track to Cakewalk and it will put them on a midi track for me. Depending on your Daw you may have to make empty midi tracks to drag to.

Mike, that is not what Adar said. We can drag the midi from the VST to a separate track and apply any sound in Reaper, but he said
Quote:
... the plugin should output midi to the track its on so if you place a synth after the biab plugin on the same track, you should be able to hear that midi file played through your synth.

That don't work here, or at least I don't know how to make it work that way.

Veteran
Veteran
I can't make it work either!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran

Adar, in all due respect I don't think we are talking about the same thing. What I would love to see is to play a song from the VSTi and have the sounds generated from my DAW tracks, i.e. not from the included VSTi GM sounds. I would like the VSTi to work as a MIDI input device, much like a MIDI keyboard controller. This way I could work with the VSTi and hear exactly what the instrument would sound like prior to dragging and dropping the MIDI track into my DAW. If I could render the track from MIDI to audio without dragging and dropping the tracks would even be a better situation.

If this is what you mean would you please give this ol' phart some step by step instructions on how to do this. For the record I use Studio One Pro as my DAW.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: MarioD
...I would like the VSTi to work as a MIDI input device, much like a MIDI keyboard controller. This way I could work with the VSTi and hear exactly what the instrument would sound like prior to dragging and dropping the MIDI track into my DAW. If I could render the track from MIDI to audio without dragging and dropping the tracks would even be a better situation...

Yes sir, MarioD. Thank you.

Windows 10 Home v2004
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:

Quote:
One of my requests for the VSTi is for it to be able to attach each MIDI track to a DAW track. That way you can hear your BiaB tracks being played by your DAW sounds and not the included GM.

Video: Playback Audio/MIDI Tracks from Plugin

The Plugin did not originally sync play the tracks in it, I had to push to get that implemented.
Also on that point, if the DAW cursor goes past 255 bars with the BiabVST in Reaper it will freeze and crash.
To be able to go beyond 255 bar limit in a song you need an option in the BiabVST so when the DAW ppqpos gets to 1020 (bar 256) @ 4/4 or 765 @ 3/4 the output ppqpos will start count @ 8 for 4/4 or @ 6 for 3/4
this will allow for the 2 bar count-in in the BiabVST
so after it plays bar 255 in the first instance it will start play of bar 1 in the second instance with the rest of the song (that has this option checked). You could even add 255 to the bar numbers in instance 2
Code:
if ppqpos => 1020 then 
  ppqpos = ppqpos - 1012
  bar_num = bar_num + 255
else ppqpos = 0
end

This will solve the problem also with Adobe Audition that sends the sync (ppqpos) 3 beats out.

Quote:
If I could render the track from MIDI to audio without dragging and dropping the tracks would even be a better situation.

To make this easier I posted a mock up of how the Plugin needs to be with solo & mute buttons, send midi channel select and (down the track) be able to add a vst within the plugin for midi tracks same as was just implemented in VSTSynthFont by Ken (whom by the way offered to do the GUI mixer programming for the Plugin) because Trygve "Leo" Larsen suggested it would be a good idea to be able to select a vsti as well as a soundfont for midi channels.
I used the VSTSynthFont mixer as a rough example of how you can fit easy obvious things on a track that any user will understand without all the worldwide confusion of the last year with the Plugin, I was the one that had to explain the complicated method of syncing, muting and soloing tracks to other uses and it was hard enough for me to work it out as it is.

It would be absolutely great if someone else could come up with fixes, ideas, implementations and improvements then I could really get away and have a long holiday as I have given out too much of my life for the last decade.
http://www.synthfont.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=1272#p1272

Veteran
Veteran

N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N

It would be really useful to have some video tutorial examples for this - say ( hint) for Cubase and Ableton ?

Big Sur, Mac Mini i7 2018, 64GB RAM 2TB SSD
Yamaha PSR SX 900, Cubase, Ableton, UNIFY, OPUS ORCHESTRATOR, MASCHINE, Vienna Ensemble Pro ,Audiofuse, L6 HELI, KOMPLETE, Komplete Kontrol 88
Lockdown beard, podgy face, beer belly, bald patch ... yadda yadda
A
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
A
When I want to hear midi in Reaper I normally place an instrument like Cakewalk's 'TTS-1 DXi' after the plugin on the same track and then midi output from the plugin is picked up by that instrument. Pipeline showed yet another way that this could be achieved in Reaper. Thank you Pipeline for providing a video demonstrating how to send midi to virtual instruments. Hope this helps!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Moderated by  Blake - PG Music 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199