Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#593343 - 04/21/20 07:35 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor?
Loc: Chicago
PaulD Offline
Enthusiast

Is there a trick to entering quarter note triplets in the editable notation window?

Thanks,

Paul

#593349 - 04/21/20 08:18 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: PaulD]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Yes. But first, is your concern how they look, or how they sound?
BIAB 2020 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition CC, Notion; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#593356 - 04/21/20 08:51 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: Matt Finley]
PaulD Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Matt, thanks. More how they look for easier reading, 3 quarter notes with a triplet bar over them.

#593372 - 04/21/20 10:38 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: PaulD]
Veteran

Thanks. OK.

Just checking: I'm assuming a quarter note triplet to mean three quarter notes played over two beats.

In a typical 4/4 song, you can have either a straight-8ths feel style, or a swing style. Changing to swing style in the notation will get you closer, but you can adjust this manually whichever way you go:

If you have a straight-8ths feel, when you open the Editable Notation Mode, you see a measure in which time is divided into 16 vertical broken lines. Click on the Opt. icon (two to the left of the small print icon, lower left of all the stuff at the top of the screen).

In the far upper left of the dialog box, click the checkbox for Triplet Resolution Swing. Then click OK.

Now you see 12 vertical broken lines. Click to put a note on lines 1, 3 and 5.

The spacing will look a little odd, but if you go into Leadsheet Mode it looks better. That's the little green icon between Opt. and Print.

And, here's another trick:

The checkbox above can affect the whole song, but you can change the time resolution of each beat separately. Right-click above your music on the thin line directly under those icons (the row with the little white mark that shows where you are). You will see a Beat Resolution box. Change the 4 to a 3. Do this for the second beat as well. Then enter the notes on every other line as before.

BIAB 2020 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition CC, Notion; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#593401 - 04/21/20 12:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: Matt Finley]
PaulD Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks so much, Matt! That's exactly what I needed.

Paul

#593484 - 04/21/20 08:59 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: PaulD]
mwieder Offline

I have a related problem... I'm trying to enter a triplet of three quarter notes *after* a quarter-note rest. And that doesn't seem possible. Am I missing something?

The bar is an quarter-note rest, the quarter-note triplet, and two eighth notes. It seems the best I can do is three eighth notes instead of a triplet, both for playing and printing.

#593519 - 04/22/20 04:48 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: PaulD]
Veteran

That should be possible using the techniques above. I’ll try it later when I get to my PC.

#593521 - 04/22/20 05:10 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Dave Offline
Journeyman

I think you can only have triplets over the first two quarter note o the last two. Not the middle two.

You can have a rest as the first note of the triplet. Just follow Matt's instructions

#593542 - 04/22/20 06:15 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: mwieder]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

I have to admit I gave it a good try earlier today, but was not successful. I hope someone can find a solution for you. I couldn't get a triplet to span across the two middle beats (2 and 3).
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#593656 - 04/22/20 01:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: VideoTrack]
Dave Offline
Journeyman

Yeh, it's a problem that been around for ever. But, to be honest, I don't think I have never seen a song where it was needed.

Call it a feature...

#593673 - 04/22/20 03:14 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: mwieder]
Veteran

Originally Posted By: mwieder
I have a related problem... I'm trying to enter a triplet of three quarter notes *after* a quarter-note rest. And that doesn't seem possible. Am I missing something?

The bar is an quarter-note rest, the quarter-note triplet, and two eighth notes. It seems the best I can do is three eighth notes instead of a triplet, both for playing and printing.

After testing, I think Dave & VideoTrack are right. This cannot be done to look right.

It sounds OK, but looks wrong. Even if I adjust the note start and duration manually, it still looks wrong.

I'm guessing this pattern might occur somewhere in Ravel's writing?

#593802 - 04/23/20 10:57 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: PaulD]
mwieder Offline

No, it doesn't even sound right. I end up with three very distinct on-the-beat eighth notes which sounds very stilted and I can't seem to force a swing feel onto them.

<sigh>

#593816 - 04/23/20 12:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: PaulD]
Veteran

Mine sounded acceptable after I did some editing.

In Editable Notation Mode, right-click on the note, select Edit Note and it brings up a dialog box where you can adjust things like volume, channel, pitch, duration and time. Time means starting time for the note, expressed in measure number, beat number, and tick number.

Set the start time of the first note in the triplet to bar x, beat 2, tick 0.
The second note would be x, 2, 80.
The third note would be x, 3, 40.

Depending on how you enter the notes and whether or not you have non-zero entries in Edit, Slide Tracks, your tick numbers may not be exactly 0,80 and 40. They might instead look like 7, 87, 47. But you see the pattern, because 120 = a full quarter note (unless you've changed the default). So 0 is the beginning, 80 is 2/3 of the way through that beat, and 40 is 1/3 the way through the next beat. Triplets.

#593849 - 04/23/20 03:38 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: Matt Finley]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Back to the display readout status not correctly showing a triplet across beats 2 & 3, I'm guessing that's because there are two cells that make up the one measure (beats 1,2 and beats 3,4) and the individual cells don't 'talk' to each other. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing sort of approach.

Just a hunch, nothing more.
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#593890 - 04/23/20 05:34 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: PaulD]
Veteran

That actually makes good sense, given the result here.

#593898 - 04/23/20 05:55 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: PaulD]
Dave Offline
Journeyman

They do talk to each other regarding not lengths. A note can extend from beat two to beat 3, even to half of it.

The triplet thing, I am sure, has been there since day one. I posted a forum entry on it more than 10 years ago. I am sure the answer from PGM was essentially "that's just the way it works"

#593918 - 04/23/20 08:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: Dave]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Good point Dave, yes, notes and rests certainly cross those boundaries but the notation display appears visually incorrect when triplets are involved. The actual performance can sound correct though. "That's just the way it works" Yep.

Edited by VideoTrack (04/23/20 09:25 PM)
Edit Reason: Clarified that the result is visual only.

#593920 - 04/23/20 08:32 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: PaulD]
Veteran

I think we were talking about this prior to 2000, now that I think more about it.

I still maintain a quarter note triplet starting on beat two can sound OK, even if it doesn't look OK.

#594026 - 04/24/20 11:38 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: PaulD]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Yes, this was all part of my "Clean up the notation and print functions" thread from 3 or so years ago. The problem was and still is very few Biab users care about notation. I think the reason is few actually read music but regardless, after several months of bumping that thread and asking (begging) for more responses I had 6 or 7 people who gave it a +1. 7 people are not enough to get PG to do anything.

Bob
Biab/RB latest build, Win 10 64 bit, Intel 4770, 256 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.

#594191 - 04/25/20 10:33 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I enter quarter note triplets in notation editor? [Re: PaulD]
mwieder Offline

Thanks. Yeah, I had fiddled with step editing but hadn't gotten it the way I wanted it to sound. Close enough though, and I can just tell my bandmates not to play it the way it's written, so that's not a huge problem.

I've actually been using BIAB for over twenty years now, on and off, and have just come back to it, partly because of not being able to play with others for the duration. I'm surprised how many things were awkward back then are still awkward now. The triplets thing, for one. The fact that it's *really* hard to step edit notes - maybe this is different on Windows, but on the mac I can only edit every other note. It should be possible to select notes and edit/delete them from the notation window other than selecting Rest and pasting it over existing notes or having to resort to step editing...

Anyway... didn't want to turn this into a rant, thanks so much for the help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

They are on sale until June 30th - time is running out!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and VST DAW Plugin for Windows!

Did you see the latest build update announcement for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows?

It’s PACKED with powerful updates, including additional RealCharts, improved RealStyles demos, language support, and significant additions and improvements to the DAW Plugin!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more! In fact, we’ve made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Click here to check it out.

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 b724 for Windows and download it here.

#TipTuesday Band-in-a-Box® Online Manuals - An Excellent Resource!

The Band-in-a-Box® program manuals are available on our Support page - what an excellent online resource to help you get the most out of the program!

Head to our Support | Online Manuals page and you'll have access to both a PDF and an online program manual for Band-in-a-Box® 2018-2020 and RealBand 2018-2020!

Bookmark www.pgmusic.com/manuals/ today!

Review - Xtra Styles PAK 9 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

Remember that wonderful review of Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac we received last month from "Dr. Dave" Walker, Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac … WOW!?

Well, Dr. Dave is at it again! He's had a chance to work with the newest Xtra Styles PAK 9, and shares his thoughts in his recent Xtra Styles PAK 9 for Band-in-a-Box 2020 – Worth It? post at Dr. Dave On Music - make sure you check it out!

Sneak peak...
...PG Music has gone deeper into several styles, using more or fewer instruments, adding unexpected ones, and giving some surprising make-overs. Others are more focused versions of particular styles with more extreme attention to the best of that genre. Other ones combine styles that sound great, such as adding a banjo to a rock or blues track, or a jazz sax to a folk style. There are many wonderful combinations to try out that will expand any songwriter or arranger’s palette. These are the things that make certain songs stand out, and experimenting with them is not just fun (a lot of fun!) but it will expand your horizons on what is possible and even excellent. For instance, my light jazz arrangement worked very well as a country song, which floored me, and also as a folk-alt-jazz fusion. One sax solo was worth the price of admission alone, as it sounds terrific in any of the arrangements.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Again we say, "Thank you for the review Dr. Dave!" - we really enjoyed reading this enthusiastic review!

The Band-in-a-Box® Panic "Button"

Today is International Panic Day... did you know that Band-in-a-Box® has a "Panic Button"?

What does it do?

Accessible from the Play Menu (or by selecting F12), you would choose this if your MIDI notes are stuck ON and it’s driving you crazy! Also within the Band-in-a-Box® Play Menu is the "Panic should also Reset DXi synth" option, which will clear hung DXi/VSTi notes.

Forum Stats
32421 Members
68 Forums
65013 Topics
550817 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Bb7alt/Ab, Garry S, saldev, Hawkman824, Bhavesh Manglani

32421 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 171
Jim Fogle 150