Note: Matt added this comment when I mentioned snap-to in another thread. "John, the ‘snap to ‘ feature you are looking for is called quantization"

I wish that BIAB midi recording had a snap-to feature. So the user sets the song to have midi recorded notes forced to jazz swing triplets or latin even 1/18ths or Latin even 1/16ths. This would allow them to enter notation much faster than entering it with the BIAB notation window only.

But in order for this to work fully the user would need to borrow from Musescore's method to select overriding beats so that exceptions can be entered. So as an example the user sets the whole 32 bar song to Latin even 1/8ths. But there are a total of maybe 10 beats scattered throughout the song randomly where they want to play triplets or quarter note triplets. The inverse could be true. The 32 bars could be mostly 1/8ths snap to or 1/16ths snap to but they want to have a snap-to of triplets for maybe two full bars or the first beat of two bars.

So how can be entering the exceptions be fast. Borrow from Musescore. Select the beat then press cntrl+2, ctrl+3, ctrl+4, ctrl+5, ctrl+6. Maybe even highlight two beats and enter ctrl+3 for quarter note triplets snap-to.

So maybe the cntrl+2, ctrl+3, ctrl+4, ctrl+5, ctrl+6 can be entered after the midi recording is done and the user realizes timing issues make it not readable. In other words the user forgot to put the overrides in before they recorded. So they highlight the beat where the error is and press the appropriate cntrl+2, ctrl+3, ctrl+4, ctrl+5, ctrl+6 and it fixes it but it asks if the user wants to make the correction permanent.

Maybe the user highlights 4 bars or 8 bars and presses the appropriate cntrl+2, ctrl+3, ctrl+4, ctrl+5, ctrl+6 to create the exceptions before midi recording or after as a fix.

The midi recording volume changes, bends and vibrato would be kept as is. I guess a bend would be treated like a long duration note with pitch change. Even better if the pitch and volume change can be recorded in midi with a long duration note. So the snap-to applies to the start of the note rather than the duration. It might be good to study other software that has this feature before starting any programming.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by bowlesj; 06/27/20 03:50 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles