You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#600619 - 06/05/20 06:19 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Notation question: rules for beaming semiquavers
Terrencelovesyou Offline

Hi, I'm trying to improve my guitar playing by learning theory and sight reading. Does anyone know if it's appropriate to beam two semiquavers together in x/4 time? (Aka when the beat is a crotchet. I'm in 3/4 time to be specific.) I know you should beam them when they make up one whole beat or one whole group (or bar subdivision) with other semiquavers or quavers, but I'm not sure if there are any other scenarios in which they should be beamed and the book isn't that clear.

The bar goes like this (in 3/4): dotted crotchet, semiquaver, semiquaver, crotchet.

So the semiquavers only last a half beat together, not a full beat, and there aren't any adjacent notes that can be beamed. But the semiquavers just look like they should be beamed! What's correct here?

#600981 - 06/07/20 09:58 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Notation question: rules for beaming semiquavers [Re: Terrencelovesyou]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Yes, I would beam them.

I just entered this pattern into BIAB using a 3/4 style, and BIAB beamed them.

There is a general rule that one does not beam over the middle of a bar, but that doesn't apply here. Go ahead and beam them. It looks better, and you said this is for sight-reading, where making the notation look good is half the battle.

For anyone reading who is not in England, a crochet is a quarter note, and a semiquaver is a 16th note.
BIAB 2020 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition CC, Notion; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#601026 - 06/07/20 04:09 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Notation question: rules for beaming semiquavers [Re: Terrencelovesyou]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Terrecnce,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, those would be beamed.

Many years ago, I read a book by Gardner Read called 'Music Notation', it's one of the most fascinating books I've ever taken the time to sit down with. Your local library might have it.

Regards,
Noel

#602436 - 06/17/20 11:25 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Notation question: rules for beaming semiquavers [Re: Matt Finley]
etcjoe Offline
Enthusiast

For anyone reading who is not in England, a crochet is a quarter note, and a semiquaver is a 16th note.

For a minute there I thought I had a stroke and couldn't read any more. LOL. I had no idea what he was asking!

#602444 - 06/17/20 01:39 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Notation question: rules for beaming semiquavers [Re: Terrencelovesyou]
Loc: Flagstaff, AZ
TheMaartian Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Flagstaff, AZ
I've got a dollar for anyone who can create a BiaB song with appropriate lyrics titled:

hemidemisemiquaver

#604196 - 06/28/20 12:38 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Notation question: rules for beaming semiquavers [Re: TheMaartian]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: TheMaartian
I've got a dollar for anyone who can create a BiaB song with appropriate lyrics titled:
hemidemisemiquaver

Well, here are some lyrics:

Hemi-demi-semi-quaver

When I was taking music lessons
My teacher sat me down
And looking at what I'd written
She told me with a frown

You've gotten all your notation wrong
It's really such a mess
These flags and beams and dotted notes
Are unreadable ugliness!

Your dots are splots; those flags adrift
Beams and stems are disconnected
But all these note durations
Must be first to be corrected.

You've written this in eighth notes
What you should have done in quavers
These quarters ought be crotchets
You're a terrible engraver!

That whole note? Try a semi-breve;
And for a half note, write a minimum.
What was good enough for Renaissance
We still use for notating rhythm!

In tears I watched her tear apart
My happy little song;
But even at that tender age
I knew that it was wrong

To use such long words for little dots
Is archaic and antique
Combining the worst of languages
Both Latin, French and Greek

And to this day, I only ask
You do this simple favor
When you see a sixty-fourth note
Don't say hemidemisemiquaver!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#604202 - 06/28/20 01:05 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Notation question: rules for beaming semiquavers [Re: Terrencelovesyou]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
David,

By any chance was the lyrics written with the medley of "Shimmy, Shimmy, Ko-Ko Bop" in mind? The lyrics match the recording almost perfectly. +++ Song Video +++ grin
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 1909, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#604235 - 06/28/20 03:26 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Notation question: rules for beaming semiquavers [Re: Jim Fogle]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
By any chance was the lyrics written with the medley of "Shimmy, Shimmy, Ko-Ko Bop" in mind? The lyrics match the recording almost perfectly. +++ Song Video +++ grin

Darn, now I've got that earworm stuck in my head. Although as a kid, I misremembered the words as "Shimmy, Shimmy Co-Co-Puffs".

But no - I was just channeling my inner Dr. Seuss. wink

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

PG Music News
Video Testimonial - Dennis Dearing Talks Band-in-a-Box®

Dennis remembers Band-in-a-Box® from years ago, but his connection to Mike Harrison and hearing him talk about the RealTracks is what really got him excited about the program!

Hear his thoughts and see how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin for his projects with his Video Testimonial:

https://youtu.be/WqmtoxfJwDw

It's been a great addition to my workflow!
-Dennis Dearing

To learn more about Dennis, check out his testimonial page here.

You can create your own video testimonial letting people know how you use the program too! Learn how here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Polish for Windows is Here!

Dodaliśmy ponad 50 nowych funkcji do Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Są udoskonalenia ścieżek RealTracks (Delikatniej brzmiące wokale RealTracks, Pogrubianie RealTracks, funkcja "Znajdź odmianę" dla RealTracks i MultiRiffów). Większość RealDrums ma teraz RealCharts (z dokładną Notacją Bębnów). Jest nowa Przeglądarka Artystów RealTracks umożliwiające znalezienie informacji/biografii/linków/listy ścieżek RealTracks dla wszystkich artystów. Nowa Przeglądarka Funkcji pozwala nowym lub "zapominalskim" użytkownikom na łatwe znalezienie i użycie większości funkcji/skrótów/dokumentów z poziomu jednego okna. Funkcja Wyrównaj Tempo pozwala na zmianę utworu nagranego w rytmie rubato i dostosowanie go do ustalonego tempa. Udoskonalono funkcje rozciągania brzmień audio w czasie/wysokości dźwięku (Elastique). Są też udoskonalenia opcji Wybory Utworu, automatycznych wstępów na Basie/Bębnach lub tylko samych bębnach (Auto-Intros), dodano 3,400 tytułów, są udoskonalenia w zakresie MusicXML, mamy widok dla gitarzysty "Leworęcznego" oraz "Widok dla ucznia" przy grze na gitarze, udoskonalenia opcji Przeciągnij i Upuść, multi-okna wyświetlającego Magika Audio Akordów i wiele innych poprawek!

ZAKUP/UAKTUALNIJ & POBIERZ TERAZ!

Add-ons Special EXTENDED! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and VST DAW Plugin for Windows!

Did you see the latest build update announcement for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows?

It’s PACKED with powerful updates, including additional RealCharts, improved RealStyles demos, language support, and significant additions and improvements to the DAW Plugin!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more! In fact, we’ve made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Click here to check it out.

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 b724 for Windows and download it here.

Forum Stats
32450 Members
68 Forums
65096 Topics
551513 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Richard W., Ukulele Joe, georgios, PALMA, newbestblog

32450 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 180
Jim Fogle 143