You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#608869 - 07/31/20 01:00 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Samba cover of "Take the Hand", a Todd Rundgren composition from his group Nazz
cwiggins999 Offline
Apprentice

I started working with BiaB at the beginning of April, during a lot of the Covid-19 lockdown. I bought the Pro Pack, not knowing that something called RealTracks even existed. I was initially looking for an app where I could type in chords and generate simple MIDI that I could feed into various plugins. I quickly saw the potential of using RealTracks for the kinds of music I want to produce, so within a few days had upgraded to the UltraPak. My genres of choice are jazz/latin primarily, with a dose of exotica and rock mixed in. And I'm primarily focused on doing rearrangements/reimaginations of pop/rock songs.

This particular song is a cover from the repertoire of Nazz, a group from the late 1960s. It was Todd Rundgren's first band, and he was the primary songwriter, although not the vocalist. Todd has been one of my primary influences since the early 1970s, so it's only natural I mess around with his songs. The original is a rock ballad, but my take is as a samba.

https://youtu.be/TEGuX3hqXtw

One of my primary vocal inspirations is Kenny Rankin, and a lot of the arrangements I'm coming up with are influenced by the instrumentation he has on many of his early albums. Nylon string guitars playing bossa or samba patterns are the foundation for many of these. When I started working with RealTracks, I was blown away by how well the jazz guitar tracks worked for the songs I want to produce - especially the nylon guitar tracks from Oliver Gannon. It's been like working with real musicians :-)

I've also suffered a dislocated shoulder and rotator cuff injuries in the past couple of months, and am awaiting surgery. My original intent was to play all the keyboards and sing, and use BiaB for everything else. But I've even had to use some keyboard tracks, and have been very pleased with them. So I'm able to comfortably sit in the arranger/producer/singer chairs and let BiaB handle most of the rest. Really great product. I hope you enjoy this song!

The video was produced by a good friend and fellow Todd Rundgren fan, Ronnie Temple, who I met at Todd's house in Hawaii during his 60th birthday celebration in 2008. We've been close friends ever since, and he worked in the corporate video world for many years, so was a natural to partner with.

Everything but vocals are from BiaB. I mixed/mastered in Cakewalk.

Style is _NOITE+.STY (Noite Brazilian Samba MultiStyle)

RealTracks in style: ~717:Bass, Acoustic, Samba Ev 190
RealTracks in song: 2892:Piano, Electric, Rhythm FusionFastLatinJeff Ev 190
RealTracks in style: 3256:Guitar, Nylon, Rhythm SambaRamon Ev 240
RealTracks in song: 723:Sax, Soprano, Soloist Samba Ev 190
RealTracks in song: 1773:Piano, Electric, Soloist JazzFunkMovin Ev16 130
RealDrums [in style:SambaBrazilFastBrushPercAlex: a: SambaBrazilFastBrushPercAlexb: SambaBrazilFastBrushPercAlex

Chuck Wiggins

BIAB 2021 Win UltraPak, Cakewalk, Windows 10 Pro
Custom AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, iConnectivity Audio 4+ interface

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chuckwigginsmusic
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1cGfP_abwQWwhX6TRcYsg

#608886 - 07/31/20 02:36 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Samba cover of "Take the Hand", a Todd Rundgren composition from his group Nazz [Re: cwiggins999]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
So I'm able to comfortably sit in the arranger/producer/singer chairs and let BiaB handle most of the rest.

I believe that you certainly sat in every one of those chairs extremely well. A great arrangement.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#608890 - 07/31/20 02:50 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Samba cover of "Take the Hand", a Todd Rundgren composition from his group Nazz [Re: cwiggins999]
cwiggins999 Offline
Apprentice

Thanks, VideoTrack! I find the whole process of developing an arrangement a real blast in BiaB. I like many find the interface a bit antiquated and quirky, but once I got into the "groove" of things, I enjoy being able to mix and match as needed.

BTW, I have a link to the original Nazz version in the Youtube video comments. but here it is as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWuPEHLzCaU

Chuck Wiggins

#610269 - 08/11/20 06:12 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Samba cover of "Take the Hand", a Todd Rundgren composition from his group Nazz [Re: cwiggins999]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow - very well done, I thoroughly enjoyed my listen. It fits really well with the samba groove smile

#610602 - 08/13/20 03:57 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Samba cover of "Take the Hand", a Todd Rundgren composition from his group Nazz [Re: cwiggins999]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Nice vocal.

Love those sambas.

+1 for Kenny Rankin and Todd Rundgren. They both record near me (or used to).

It sounded to me like the sax sound was struggling. If you are only a few metronome markings away from the recommended tempo, it can affect some RealTracks. Sambas in BIAB can be tricky because most of the RealTracks are counted in 4/4 with tempos around 190 (like some of the ones you used). Your song is clearly in cut time at 120 bpm. However, your BIAB tempo is probably set at 240, yes? Then you fall into that middle ground where its uncertain what instruments to use. The drums adapt well. Other instruments, you might consider changing the time base. When you select a RealTrack, you will see a setting for double-time or half-time. Play around with it on some instruments like the solo piano; you might be surprised.
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#610677 - 08/14/20 09:43 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Samba cover of "Take the Hand", a Todd Rundgren composition from his group Nazz [Re: Matt Finley]
cwiggins999 Offline
Apprentice

Matt, thanks so much for listening and also for the comments and recommendations. I’ve listen to your Brazilian recording and love it so I know you are well-versed in the style. I’m recovering from shoulder surgery so mostly replying via Siri, otherwise I would go into more detail about how much I enjoyed your recording. But I do look forward to listening again.

And thanks so much for the suggestions – you are correct that the tempo is 240 , And the soprano sax is at 190. So a middle ground. When I get a chance to sit back at the computer I will experiment a bit more with some tempos and other settings. I have used the halftime and double time settings on other tunes and it’s giving some good results in some cases. I’m still like a kid in a candy store with Band in a box, having all of these virtual side man at my beckoning . So still working out my own best practices and checklist for the whole workflow. I’m having a blast with it.!

A question you or someone else might be able to help with. If I do want to work with the tempo change, I had frozen the tracks in the BiaB file because I like the sax and how it would integrate with the vocal. If I change the track tempo I assume I would have to unfreeze everything and then I would get completely different playing. Is there some notion where unfreezing a track would still give the same patterns that were played previously? I hope that makes sense. I would think BiaB internally has to have some "road map" they calculate for each instrument each time the tracks are regenerated. Would be nice to freeze that.

Edited by cwiggins999 (08/15/20 08:59 AM)

Chuck Wiggins

#610970 - 08/16/20 04:58 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Samba cover of "Take the Hand", a Todd Rundgren composition from his group Nazz [Re: cwiggins999]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

I think I understand this question. If the song tempo changes, the song really should regenerate and then you get what you get for comping patterns, with no guarantees it will have all the elements you like from another generation. If you just freeze all the tracks and change the tempo too far, you'll get unpleasant artifacts in the sound. But you are correct, some amazing things can be done by freezing some tracks and not others. Another poster today wanted pushes on just the guitar, for example. When you combine freezing with time base, there are so many possibilities.

Thanks for the kind words about my music. I don't generally run into the problem of a soloist RealTrack sounding not quite right, because that's the part I furnish, so I don't have any good suggestions.

I did want to mention I've had a short discussion with Peter Gannon about the tempo of a samba. I hear them counted in two at tempos around 100. BIAB counts them in four at tempos close to 200. My drummer on the CD, who played with Spyro Gyra and Blood, Sweat & Tears, agrees with me. A similar problem exists in BIAB Bluegrass. I hope we could see some samba styles in the future more like what I think is the standard: cut time. The good news is that, with the BIAB time base being extended to RealDrums recently, all the tools are there.
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#611121 - 08/17/20 08:47 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Samba cover of "Take the Hand", a Todd Rundgren composition from his group Nazz [Re: cwiggins999]
Henry Clarke Offline
Apprentice

I absolutely LOVE THIS !! So smooth and cool !! Video's nice. I also like rearranging covers in a different style but this ain't about me. It's about you. Nice job and very well done. I have no IMHO's tips for you musically ... LOL In my view if I like what I produce and NON-Musicians like it I'm overjoyed. Produce for music lovers and not musicians and you'll be a lot happier. Musicians are great but sometimes a bit too picky. Even if the notes wrong if the feels right it all works out. I learned that from a few producers over the years.

#611324 - 08/19/20 03:51 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Samba cover of "Take the Hand", a Todd Rundgren composition from his group Nazz [Re: cwiggins999]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
I really enjoyed the use of the Style! Thanks for sharing.

#611516 - 08/21/20 08:13 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Samba cover of "Take the Hand", a Todd Rundgren composition from his group Nazz [Re: cwiggins999]
cwiggins999 Offline
Apprentice

Thanks! The huge variety of styles and ability to audition and swap in various RealTracks give an incredible amount of choice to musicians.

Chuck Wiggins

PG Music News
RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Forum Stats
34901 Members
66 Forums
70910 Topics
614252 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
cebodorr1, emeraldopia, jojo34, otomawak, RichardF

34900 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 216
VideoTrack 213