You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#610086 - 08/09/20 09:22 PM [User Showcase] Incidental (Filler)
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Incidental

Last year I got a commission for music for an amateur play. Along with two versions of a song, I delivered a half-dozen (actually some more than that) short pieces that could be played during scene changes, etc. I don't know how many or which got used, but the play was performed semi-guerilla style in about 13 small venues for a total of approximately 30 performances. It raised just shy of 40,000 Thai Baht--about 1300 USD at the current rate--for a charity which our family also supports.

With the tourism industry eviscerated by the COVID pandemic, it's likely seen it's last performance.

I sent the pieces from which these snippets came. Also included in this are a couple of short full pieces. I like doing this sort of thing and would be content to make such "background" music a lot. All sprang first out of some ears-on experiment with some theory concept or another, but I won't bore you with all that even if I could remember in all cases.

All created with BIAB only, most mixed in BIAB as well. Mastered as a collection in Reaper with Ozone 8 Elements. All from BIAB styles with perhaps a few added tracks between them. Some may have been "re-styled" since originally produced, especially those originally done in midi styles.

It was "filler" for the play. It'll serve the same function here for my own Showcase entries, and to distract myself from working on my Magnum Opus. Enjoy if possible, and if you have any "tips" about this side of the music-arena, I'd appreciate the encouragement or honest appraisal otherwise.

In order of appearance:

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Untitled Song
Key=Cm , Tempo 100, Length (m:s)=1:07
No intro. 8 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 8. Repeat x3 choruses
Style is _BOSSCON.STY (Bossa Piano Trio w/ Conga)
RealTracks in style: ~~921:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 110
RealTracks in style: ~~925:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Bossa Ev 110
Loop in Song: Percussion Loops\Loop124bpm Conga 8ths 4 bars fill at end.wma
RealTracks in song: 2143:Sax, Alto, Soloist BossaPhil Ev 140
RealDrums [in style:BossaBrushes: a: Sidestick Brushes b: Sidestick, Ride

************************* Song Summary *************
Title: Raw Caper
Key=C , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=1:44
No intro. 16 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 16. Repeat x3 choruses
Style is _BLUSTER.STY (Bluster Modern Jazz Energy w Sax)
RealTracks in style: 2957:Bass, Acoustic, ModernJazz8thsNeil Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1772:Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkMovin Ev16 130
RealTracks in style: 2606:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzRock8thsJon Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1776:Sax, Tenor, Soloist JazzFunkMovin Ev16 130
RealDrums [in style:ModJazz^04-a:HiHat, Quarter SS, b:Ride, Quarter SS2

Title: choppin
File:choppin.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=1:12
Style is _JAZFUNK.STY (Jazz Funk Groovin')

RealTracks in style: ~1433:Bass, Electric, JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: ~1437:Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: ~1435:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovinChords Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: ~1436:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovinMute Ev16 110
RealDrums [in style:JazzFunkGroovin^1-a:HHSdStk, b:HHSnr

Title: step up
Key=C , Tempo 75, Length (m:s)=1:29
Style is _ICYWIND.STY (Icy Wind Alternative Country)
RealTracks in style: 1825:Bass, Electric, PopModernGrooveHeld Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 2666:Pedal Steel, Rhythm LushChordsSlow Ev 075
RealTracks in style: 1595:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop8thsSteady Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~~702:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Spirited Ev 065
RealDrums [in style:NashBrushBalDbKEv16^1-a: Snare, HiHat , b: QuarterHat, TripletSnare

Title: Weevil Option
File:Weevil Option.SGU
Key=G , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=0:52
Style is _HSGRAD.STY (High School Graduation Rock)
RealTracks in style: 2939:Bass, Fretless Electric Rock8thsRene Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1265:Synth Pad, PopShiningSoft Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 697:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 694:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockArp Ev 120
RealDrums [in style:Rock90s^01-a:Closed Hat, Snare, b:Open Hat, Snare

Title: PowerChord Exp
File:PowerChord Exp v2.SGU
Key=E , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=1:14
Style is _SWEET.STY (Sweet Smooth Pop Soul)
RealTracks in style: 2620:Bass, Electric, FunkSwing16ths Sw16 085
RealTracks in style: ~906:Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothCool Sw16 100
RealTracks in style: 1229:Guitar, Electric, Soloist SmoothJazzCool Sw16 100
RealDrums [in style:SouthernPopSw16^02-a:Hat, Sidestick, b:Ride, Snare

Edited by Tangmo (08/10/20 12:33 PM)
BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#610096 - 08/10/20 02:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Incidental (Filler) [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I remember you talking about that commission and posting the main song, you were using a sax player you got from fiverr I think? Or was that a different project.

My favorite snippets are the first and last, liked the guitar in the last one, and really like the groove in the first one. Groove reminds me a little of "Oye Como Va" by Santana. Nice, tasty chord changes in there and I like the percussion and piano. Would work well as a full length piece I think.

Hope you are yours are doing well.

#610122 - 08/10/20 07:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: Incidental (Filler) [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Tangmo,

I don't think you really need "any tips" (the advice kind, anyway). Everything here sounds good. Pleasant piaces. All well mixed. Any one of these could be submitted to sync libraries...One never knows what might get picked up and where it might land. There is a fellow at Just Plain Folks (which used to be a good music site to visit, but is spirally to its death these days) who makes a living doing short piano pieces, many of which have been used in big production movies and popular TV shows...

Well done.

fj

#610137 - 08/10/20 10:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Incidental (Filler) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I remember you talking about that commission and posting the main song, you were using a sax player you got from fiverr I think? Or was that a different project.

My favorite snippets are the first and last, liked the guitar in the last one, and really like the groove in the first one. Groove reminds me a little of "Oye Como Va" by Santana. Nice, tasty chord changes in there and I like the percussion and piano. Would work well as a full length piece I think.

Hope you are yours are doing well.

Thanks, Dave. Yeah, I used a Sax player that gave me enough bonus material so that I didn't have to reuse a thing for the second version. Also hired two separate singers for the two versions.

We'll see about the full-length version, but I've put the BB song info up in the OP, so...
BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#610138 - 08/10/20 10:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Incidental (Filler) [Re: floyd jane]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tangmo,

I don't think you really need "any tips" (the advice kind, anyway). Everything here sounds good. Pleasant piaces. All well mixed. Any one of these could be submitted to sync libraries...One never knows what might get picked up and where it might land. There is a fellow at Just Plain Folks (which used to be a good music site to visit, but is spirally to its death these days) who makes a living doing short piano pieces, many of which have been used in big production movies and popular TV shows...

Well done.

fj

Thanks, Floyd (and as always). And if not, my life and mind are small budget movies and I'm quite popular in my own house. Every dang body knows me here. Sometimes more comedy than drama, but I'll take it.

#610459 - 08/12/20 05:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Incidental (Filler) [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Nicely done!! The tracks are well conceived and produced!! 40,000 Baht could buy a lot in Thailand when I was there in '98. I remember sandwiches at the PhiPhi Islands for 50 cents each. Nice work!! Take care. Greg

#610481 - 08/12/20 08:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Incidental (Filler) [Re: Tangmo]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Tangmo,
Cool "snippets". Second, saxy was a wild beast. I liked the last piece the most. Not bad for charity gig! I was in Thailand same year as Greg above smile
It will always have a special place in my heart. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#610517 - 08/13/20 05:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Incidental (Filler) [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tangmo.. I’m so glad you posted this. We are so conditioned to think of music in its commercial, packaged format (songs) that the other applications of music, which are so prevalent and important, or overlooked. This category, which you properly called incidental music, is quite pervasive and ever present in our lives. It seems to me that it ought to be part of any composers repertoire, andIt helps develop writing and composing skills that may be song writing doesn’t offer. Loved the diversity of styles and your choice of the BIAB components. Great work, and I hope more commissions are forthcoming!

#610804 - 08/15/20 10:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Incidental (Filler) [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
To quote Dave re the first, "Groove reminds me a little of "Oye Como Va" by Santana."
Yes it does. Cool.

Tano, above, eloquently described the category. Hard to add anything.

The commission was certainly well deserved and IMO it is worthy of a big sync deal.

We enjoyed all of them and thanks for listing the details for each one.

This is a strong presentation of the power of BiaB in talented hands.

Really well done (and mixed).

J&B

#610812 - 08/15/20 11:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Incidental (Filler) [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Miami, Florida
Planobilly Offline
Expert

Loc: Miami, Florida
I just like it!! Nothing more to add.

Cheers,

Billy

#610819 - 08/15/20 01:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Incidental (Filler) [Re: Tangmo]
olemon Offline
Expert

Congratulations on your commission!

I'm rather awed by people who actually compose music. I'm sort of a 3-chords and 3-minute song form peddler. My musical mind isn't orchestral.

As others have pointed out, these are all perfectly suited for the background/incidental 'genre.'

Well done.

Scott

PG Music News
RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Forum Stats
34895 Members
66 Forums
70900 Topics
614128 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
map23, KrystalRobinson, Sachmo, DeborahRoughton, SMC

34894 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 210
swingbabymix 203