You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#611477 - 08/20/20 11:50 PM [User Showcase] Thinking Makes It So
Chris Dent Offline
Enthusiast

I wrote this after reading interminable arguments between people on a 'philosophy' forum. Borrowed the concept from Bill Shakespeare.

I started out with all tracks, took most out, put them back in, and still can't decide whether I prefer this with the full band or something smaller. Here's the full band version. Would appreciate any advice on the mix...

The style is 'Country Boogie' and I used bass, (piano, drums and acoustic guitar)* from that set.

I added electric rhythm and lead guitars, both stratocaster with Amplitube 'Fender' amps.

I use a Rode NT2-A mic for vocals but it really takes a lot of tweaking at mix-down to get my voice sounding anywhere near a sound I'm happy with.

Mastered in Logic using EZmix.

*LATE EDIT: After taking some very good mixing advice the mix has changed considerably. The only thing remaining from BB now is the bass part. Drums were swapped out for GrooveMonkey midi loops in EZdrummer. I dropped the piano and acoustic guitar altogether.

https://soundcloud.com/user-663569023/thinking-makes-it-so

Thanks for listening.

Edited by Chris Dent (08/22/20 11:53 PM)

#611484 - 08/21/20 03:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Vocals were fine! (Blues Bard is one of my accounts on youtube, though I never put anything on it.) This had an excellent groove and the lyrics were good. Guitar was excellent. You didn't get too carried away with the Shakespeare thing, which I think was a good thing. All in all, it's a fine outing. Enjoyed it a lot.

Edited by TuneMonger (08/21/20 03:15 AM)

#611494 - 08/21/20 05:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
olemon Offline
Expert

This is excellent. The intro was perfect, the arrangement and guitars are right up there.

(On your vocals you may want to experiment with some eq, maybe another high pass filter or cutting some mud? Reverb can muddy a track too. I always struggle with that.)

But, hey, your performance is very good.

Well done.

Scott

#611590 - 08/21/20 06:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: olemon]
Loc: Redding, Ca
MajicSpell Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Redding, Ca
Love that guitar!. I agree about the eq on the mix. See if you can kick those drums up a notch they sound a bit flat to me (IMHO) I use EZ mix too but I also use high pass. I also would like more fills to add some snap, sparkle and anticipation to the rhythm section.

I loved the song structure. But I really liked your guitar, sounds like this was fun to record.

Rick

www.majicspell.com

#611608 - 08/22/20 01:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Hello Chris,

I am glad to notice philosophical foot-tappers are just like those ordinary people also like.
You made a nice swinging Blues with a beautiful leadguitar in it. Very good!
I agree with the others mentioning the eq on the vocals, but I also would like you to bring your piano a bit more forward. Now it is 'drowning' somewhere in the back, if you know what I mean.

And i have a wish: I would like to read the lyrics. I heard you sing 'Shakespeare' a couple of times, but not why you mentioned him. Well... I'm teasing a bit, but I like reading what you sing, so maybe you could do that?

Thanks in advance,
Hans

#611738 - 08/22/20 06:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Chris Dent Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks so much for the comments.

I took the advice of Tunemonger, Oleman, and Majic and:

1. After much searching in Logic found the Vintage Console EQ which allowed me to use a high-pass filter and brighten the vocals.

2. I replaced the BB drums with some GrooveMonkey midi loops loaded into EZdrummer (Jazz kit)

I am much happier with the sound now and am really pleased that you offered that advice. I am uploading the new version on Soundcloud.

To Birchwood - thanks for the comments. I have actually decided to take out the piano and the acoustic guitar altogether. I think it was too much going on in the background. I have put the lyrics here so you can read them without having to decipher my deteriorating voice!

Thinking makes it so.

Some guy is coming around, proclaiming what is right.
You point out why he is wrong, and then you both begin to fight.
I said hey, there’s something you should know.
There ain’t no right or wrong, its just opinion makes it seem to be so.

Some folks say you shouldn’t. Others that you should.
Some think you’re pretty cool. Some say you’re no good.
I said hey, there’s something you oughta know.
You’re neither one thing or the other, its just opinion makes it seem to be so.

Some people call me a sinner. Some say that I’m a saint.
I know that I know that I am what I am,
and I know that I’m not what I ain’t.

Just like Bill Shakespeare told us, a long, long time ago.
When Hamlet turned to Rosencrantz and said there’s something that I know
There is nothing either good or bad
But thinking makes it so.

break

You might think I’m a sinner. You might think I’m a saint.
I know that I know that I am what I am,
and I know that I’m not what I ain’t.

Well William Shakespeare told us, a long, long time ago.
When Hamlet turned to Rosencrantz and said there’s some thing that I know
There is nothing either good or bad
But thinking makes it so.

break

There ain’t no right or wrong, it’s just opinion makes it seem to be so.

It ain’t one thing or the other, it’s only thinking makes it seem that you know .

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

Edited by Chris Dent (08/22/20 11:46 PM)

#611918 - 08/23/20 04:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Very cool blues number!! I like this arrangement a lot, and I thought the vocals were stellar!! Fun lyrics too!! Take care. Greg

#612021 - 08/24/20 12:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Nice blues indeed. Or boogie smile

Your performances on guitar and vocals were in the pocket.

Lotta truth in that lyric ... some folks just have to have a slot to slide you in!

Enjoyed it!

J&B

#614388 - 09/09/20 10:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Chris Dent Offline
Enthusiast

I couldn't help fiddling with the mix on this. I ended up putting all the instruments back in. It is probably a bit over the top regarding the rhythm section now but it sort of gives the piece a 'live' feel that is more fun. I'll probably change my mind again one day and set it back to a quartet sound but for now it has four guitarists (three of which are me), piano, organ, bass and drums - all going for it!

https://soundcloud.com/user-663569023/thinking-makes-it-so

Edited by Chris Dent (09/09/20 10:09 PM)

#614449 - 09/10/20 08:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Hi Chris,

I made a mistake while replying to you in a post for my song. I thought we hadden't met and I hadn't listen to your song, but I did. So don't become disapointed when you read all that.
Here I want to thank you for showing the lyrics. I think I dissagree with Shakespeare though! In my song you heard why...

Hans

#619242 - 10/15/20 10:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Online   content
Apprentice

Loc: SA, Australia
I like this retro style. Like the mix, guitar work, lyrics - everything. Your voice is well-suited to this genre.

#619294 - 10/16/20 09:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Illinois
Very Cool!

Great vibe, well written lyrics.
Mix sounds pretty good to me.

#619297 - 10/16/20 09:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Loc: Aberdeen, NC
Bawb Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Aberdeen, NC
Hi Chris,

This was an excellent listen!

Really well played and produced...

The only really qualm I have with your post is that you didn't include the lyrics! (How we sposed to sing along?)

Thanks for posting...

#619311 - 10/16/20 10:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Chris,
A good, clever write- original lyrics worth paying attention to ( unusual for a blues song ).
Nothing wrong with your vocal and the guitar work is excellent.
I couldn`t hear a big difference on the newest version... maybe I`d give a nod to the simpler band on the previous, but both are fine.

Robert

#619366 - 10/16/20 08:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi Chris
Good vocal and guitar work on a nice bluesy number. Enjoyed it.
Regards,
Leon

#619387 - 10/17/20 03:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Thinking Makes It So [Re: Chris Dent]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Nice - the band is a little full but it works.
The brightening of the vocals has also increased the sibilant stuff...you could notch that out.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

PG Music News
The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Updates for Windows & Mac!

We've just released FREE Updates for both Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & Mac program users!

With the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, you can now choose the "Save Exact Chord Text" checkbox to the Save XML dialog, there are VST feature updates, Audio Chord Wizard enhancements, updated program messages, we've applied fixes to an assortment of user-reported issues, and the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 Update has been added too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 734 and download it here.

The newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac update also includes VST feature updates, as well as RealTracks & RealDrums Picker enhancements, smoother 'tabbing' between dialog windows, and additional fixes applied to an assortment of user-reported issues. If you missed adding the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 update from September, it will be added with this update too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 420 and download it here.

Video - How to Transpose a Region of a Band-in-a-Box® Song

Want to learn how to transpose just one chorus of your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Check out our latest video, shared to the I want a video that shows me how to... forum: https://youtu.be/XiMrgtQ7u14

Band-in-a-Box® - What People Are Saying...

Wow, check out the latest feedback from Band-in-a-Box® users!

"I have one song I've been torturing over to get the sound right for quite some time and I merely keyed in the chords and what BB generated is awesome. Just what I hoped that song would sound like. What had taken me months to get right (and couldn't), the program could do in about an hour - AMAZING!"

"Great Ear Training Exercises! And I love that that you can set the tempo to whatever you choose. It's great for learning a tune!"

"A very good and easy to use musical program!"

"It's amazingly easy to use! Write a song? No problem! Add background sound track to a video? No problem! Put notes on a staff and have BB make up a chord progression and tell what key you are in? No problem! Start with a chord progression and have BB make a melody line? No problem!"

"Still the best practice tool I have found, great for running lines, improvising over and really helpful for working on song writing ideas as well! Good for beginners, and the more musical skill and knowledge you have the more you will get out of the software."

"I create demo songs with Band-in-a-Box, it helps me to get my ideas across to my engineer!"

"Been using Band-in-a-Box for years. Outstanding product from a great company!"

"It's like buying a Musical History Jukebox. It comes with probably 3000 styles and is like hiring session musicians to play rhythm with you, they even have soloists! It introduces you to so many types of rhythms that you other wise would know nothing about. "

"Paul McCartney said you gotta have a great band behind you. Well, Band-in-a-Box is my band."

"It's as easy as typing in the chords, choosing your style, instruments, etc., and off you go! Learning the tune? You can slow it down while you work on it then speed it up. My favorite analogy is a good chess program, which will play at your speed and level and is eternally patient!"

"I love my Band in a box, it does so much! Besides all the RealTracks and song ideas, it's a great tool to stay sharp with your licks. Social distancing got you down? Can't jam with friends? Pick out any song and go to the mixer button, there you can mute any instrument that's playing so you can jump right in and play along!"

"I love it. I'm a drummer, and Band-in-a-Box really keeps me on my toes!"

"The DAW plugin is really great. Trust me on this. I use it with Studio One.

"This is how I've been able to gig solo for the past 20 years. Band-in-a-Box is the great equalizer for us none rhythm players."

"Wouldn't want to be without it! One of the best things I bought in my life. Simple as that."

"As a songwriter I really love to work with Band-in-a-Box. The only limitation is your own creativity."

"I've used Band-in-a-Box for 25 years and thanks to this program and the advice of PG Music staff I've written over 100 songs. It's great software and amazing help to me as a musician. CONGRATS!!!"

Thank you for all the amazing feedback!

Band-in-a-Box® - A Teaching Tool!

Did you know that we offer Band-in-a-Box® LabPAK and Site License purchase options for schools? This is an ideal option for any educational institution looking to add Band-in-a-Box® to their curriculum.

Learn more about the LabPAK purchase options here: Windows | Mac.

How would a teacher use Band-in-a-Box® in a school setting?

A few ideas:
-practice sight reading with the students by following the on-screen notation
-display the Guitar Fretboard or Big Piano Window to watch the notes being played
-Trading fours! (etc.)
-generate a song for accompaniment during practice sessions
-create a practice song and save it as an audio file to send home with the student for additional practice!

...and more!

Wondering how to add a Band-in-a-Box LabPAK to your school? Feel free to contact us directly with any questions you might have! Click here to send us an email.

Forum Stats
33032 Members
68 Forums
66526 Topics
565641 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
apollo_synth, ademtrottrid, sally908, Howard B, Jerome Hubbard

33032 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
CaptainMoto 161
Janice & Bud 136