Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi,

I was looking around for a piano tutorial for Misty. I took a look at how Erroll Garner played this. OMG...how could anyone learn to play like that?
I saw a couple of simplified versions. I guess I could learn to play the simplified version given a large amount of time to learn.

Can anyone here play the Erroll Garner version or does this just look difficult to a novice like me?

https://youtu.be/P_tAU3GM9XI

Cheers,

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/25/20 09:25 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
OMG...how could anyone learn to play like that?

You practice hours a day for years.....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes Eddie...My wife told me all I had to do was go back to being three years old and start over...lol

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think this a few steps above that.

https://youtu.be/VJExqsrZzeA

Look at some of her other performances. Astoundingly good.

The best I have seen.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
There's a video of Steve Allen giving tips on playing piano.

Steve mentions in passing that learning Errol's style is worthwhile, but problematic because he's so distinctive, at best you come across as a poor imitation.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have seen a few videos of Hiromi Uehara playing. Totally off the chain.

A lady who played piano for the German National Symphony Orchestra lived above me when I lived in France. She could play any piece of sheet music I ever put in front of her. She could not play Happy Birthday without the sheet music. I got her started playing by ear. I really miss Nicole and France.

Actually have listen to many versions of Misty. Some I like better than the original. How Erroll arpeggiates the 13th chords in his left hand is pretty impressive.

I play guitar but messing around with the keyboard has been just that...messing around.

Stuck here in my house for god knows how long, I am spending more and more time trying to learn how to play piano. I have had a piano for a long time and it has been instrumental in teaching me music theory. I can figure out any chord in any inversion without issue on the piano. Every second I have spent on the piano has helped me with the guitar.

It is quite common for people who play very well to have started when they were kids. I got a year or so in band in grade school on Trumpet. At least I learned how to sight read some simple stuff.

If I could go back to the beginning and start over again knowing what I know now, it would be Drums, Bass, Piano, and Guitar in that order.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes Eddie...My wife told me all I had to do was go back to being three years old and start over...lol

And did you do as you were told?????

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes I did! Also I am obviously a brilliant three year old as I am able to respond to this post...lol

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes I did! Also I am obviously a brilliant three year old as I am able to respond to this post...lol

If you can type at 3, you can play piano!! I was 4 yrs 10 months when I started lessons.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
agree about practice but there has to be a natural aptitude and talent. a friend and i started guitar together at around 14. i practiced as hard as i could but within months he was light years ahead of me and i never caught up. he became famous in the local area as a guitarist. its like a snowball, the better he got the faster he improved.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have been close friends with a couple of exceptional guitar players. I also have been good friends with one piano player and one drummer with exceptional skills.

I agree with Bob about the natural aptitude issue.

All of the people I have known with exceptional skills had certain things in common. I rarely saw them without a guitar or other instrument in their hand. They all had some form of formal training. All of them could read, write, and play music. They had little interest in anything outside of music. Every one of them except the piano player could hear something a play it right back.

I am not sure the piano player had what could be construed as exceptional talent. She could absolutely play anything written you put in front of her. Her training was long and difficult. She studied for more than fifteen years under the guidance of a professional. I am not sure she actuality enjoyed playing the way most of us do. She did get great satisfaction from being able to read and play with exceptional degree of competency.

I always found it strange that someone could play anything that was written but could not play the simplest of songs without the sheet music.

I also knew a guitar play who had graduated from a well known music school who could play anything you ask him on guitar. With all those skills he had no idea what to do at a jam session....strange

There also seems to be a typical amount of time required to master any given complex skill which is about seven thousand hours.

I think given enough time most anyone could learn how to more less duplicate a piece of music. I also think they probability would have a very difficult time to create the same type of thing. Having said that, learning how to emulate someone else will color your own playing. It is pretty easy to recognize the Berkeley School Of Music stamp on many of their students.

Too much typing...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I went to a post holiday jam night a few years back and there was a guy there who could pick up a guitar and rip solos off as well as anybody I ever heard. However, as soon as a drummer, bass player and me on keyboards joined him, we realized he had zero idea about "music". He had no feel for when chord changes were coming, where they could go... I guess it's correct to say he had no ear. Theory doesn't make you a good player. Playing makes you a good player. Being a good player doesn't teach you theory, unless you develop a sense of structure. You can be a whiz at one without the other, but that beautiful marriage of people who are skilled at both is a joy. When the jam leader holds up 4 fingers, if you don't know that means you go from the root chord to the 4th chord in the scale, you are lost. But you don't have to know WHY it's the 4th chord in the scale, just that if you are in E you go to A. After years of playing and doing it correctly that segment of the playing population knows theory without knowing they know it. Tom Bukovac, on his youtube channel, once put up a clip of his section of the studio he was in that day. After seeing him say MANY times "I don't know theory for **** (I put the asterisks in)", he showed that taped to his wall were beautifully written chord charts that could not have been written by someone who doesn't know theory. I mean they included things like Bm7b5. If you know to make your chart include a flatted 5, you know theory. Maybe not ALL of theory, but that's a good, strong working knowledge of chord interrelationships. Which is theory. People can PLAY that same Bm7b5 and not KNOW they are playing it. Neither one is better than the other. Just different. Music has a lot of pastel in it. Everything isn't the same solid primary colors.

So yeah, we've all known people at different stages of proficiency. I know keyboard players in the area that make me want to never play again. I know a producer that is so good I never want to try to mix again. Sax players that make me embarrassed to play in front of them. They are a unique mix of playing skill and theory wise to varying degrees. All equally great!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I agree you you Eddie. There is nothing good or bad about any of this. It is what it is.

Structured technical proficiency does not sound any different than unstructured proficiency.

A B flat scale is a B flat scale no matter if you understand what it is or not.

There are a lot of roads to Dallas Texas...some will just get you there quicker.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, it's all about what you have learned and how efficiently you apply it.

I have played in bands, mostly in church praise bands where the piano players could play anything you put in front of them in the form of sheet music. Didn't matter that they hadn't heard it before or how many sharps or flats where in the key signature. But ask them to jam in the key of G with a one four five progression, and they looked at you like you were speaking Mandarin Chinese.

I remember when I was a kid.... just starting on guitar, a piano student to a classical instructor who believed in reading the music and understanding music theory. I was at a church gathering and someone handed me an acoustic guitar and there was a lady there who asked if I knew a certain song. I did. And that started a 30 minute jam session with her singing and me playing and she was amazed that I could play any song in any key and didn't need to see the sheet music. I remember thinking that yeah.... there.s nothing to it. I can hear the changes coming. We even played a few that I didn't know but I was following her melody and it worked. She would sing it a bit and I'd jump in and away we'd go.

One last thing about the piano teacher. She'd hand me a new piece of sheet music and then she'd play it for me. She'd say, OK... your job is to learn this at home this week and bring it back and play it for me just like I played it. I'd go home and practice it. I remember going back.... proud of the work I had spent on it....and I played it for her. She sat there totally quiet when I finished the piece. Then she said, "That was really good. Now, I'd like you to play what is actually written on the staff this time." Oooops... I guess I added some embellishments to it. But the cool thing was she never tried to extinguish that creative spark. She encouraged it and also encouraged me to learn to read. One day, several years into my lessons, she stopped me about 10 minutes into the lesson and asked me how many minutes I spent on the lesson material on the piano.... I said I reckon about 30 minutes. She asked how much time I spent playing the guitar that week. I had to admit, it was several hours minimum. She told me to pack my books and that she was done teaching me piano. Mom wasn't happy but I was..... I had all the time in the world now to play the guitar.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/01/20 08:40 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Cool story Guitarhacker. I like the piano but I find myself moving over and picking up my guitar.
Being more or less locked up at home is no fun. I struggle through some simple song on the piano and then go to the guitar.

I guess anyone can learn any instrument alone now days with the internet. Nothing can replace setting beside some teacher you like. The only really good news for me is I don't feel any pain playing the piano.

Sight reading on the piano has improved my ability to sight read on guitar.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are a lot of roads to Dallas Texas...some will just get you there quicker.

And some find you in Plano.....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Actually that is just "plain old Billy" the way it started out. Old blues guitar player friend of mine use to call me that.

Many years after I moved to Plano Texas for a short while. Then it was planobillydfw. Then I moved back to Florida and dropped the dfw and added the fl.

Now I am just getting plane old...lol

I use to get invoices from Rockin Robin in the name of "Blind Lemon Simmons".

The things I use to do... My old guitar player friend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqHBa-oIED0

Cheers,

Who ever I am

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I have played in bands, mostly in church praise bands where the piano players could play anything you put in front of them in the form of sheet music. Didn't matter that they hadn't heard it before or how many sharps or flats where in the key signature. But ask them to jam in the key of G with a one four five progression, and they looked at you like you were speaking Mandarin Chinese.

That describes me exactly. I have been playing the piano for 67 years and cannot play a note without the music and cannot even memorize a piece that I have been playing for decades. It's all about whether you have an "ear" or not. Telling begineers that they will all be able to play without the music by huge practice will lead to massive dissapointment for those that don't have the ear. It's the same with art - telling someone they can learn to draw well if they display no natural talent just doesn't work. To illustrate the point I remember a lesson at high school when the music teacher was teaching about intervals by playing them on the piano and asking us to describe the interval. I was the only person in the class who played an instrument but was one of the worst at recognising the interval.

My affliction explains why I took to BIAB 20 years ago. It is the perfect music program for me and keeps me going musically even at age 77. I now have about 800 BIAB songs with the sheet music filed in binders. At one time I had trouble finding the music to arrange in BIAB but with internet availability I can find just about anything and love experiencing genres that piano players my age would never touch. I even have the original music from my first few years like Bill Haley and the Comets and keep working at finding good BIAB styles for Queen.

Tony

Off-Topic
F
F

Can anyone here play the Erroll Garner version or does this just look difficult to a novice like me?

Imitating a master performer would be difficult if not impossible for most piano players. Instead of trying to copy, it might be better to look for patterns and techniques to add to your skill set. For example - arpeggiated chords or rolled chord inversions up or down the keyboard to fill in spaces left by long melody notes, playing the melody using parallel chords, sixths, or fifths, tremolo on the left hand chords, stride bass, chromatic runs leading into a melody note.

Your version of these techniques might be slower, or use fewer notes, but would still add more character and interest to the music.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,331
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181