You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#613749 - 09/04/20 11:01 PM [Beginners Forum] MGX files ?
Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Bernard Rasson Offline
Enthusiast

Hello everybody,

can someone tell me what are MGX files (under BIAB 2015)? I have 9 or 10 ones in my song directory; they seem to be a species of MGU files but I failed to see why they have a different extension
and they are mentioned zero (0) times in the manual

pgmusic should maintain an index of all file extensions used by BIAB

thanks in advance,
Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français

#613753 - 09/04/20 11:17 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Bernard.

When looking through the manual, I usually open the PDF file found in /bb, and then search it with CTRL+F. When I did that with MGX, the manual had a small section about MGX files on page 179 (this is the 2015 Manual).

Basically....

If one loads a multitrack MIDI file into BIAB -- say a MIDI file that was found on the internet -- the file will load all tracks onto either the Melody track or the Soloist track.

When this is saved as a BIAB file, the file will have an MGX extension.

In other words, if your file has .MGX, it means that it contains a multitrack MIDI file on the Melody or Soloist track.

Normal BIAB .MGU files are a single MIDI track. On the top menu, if you select "Melody | Track Type", you'll see what I mean.

Regards,
Noel

#613762 - 09/05/20 03:29 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Noel96]
Bernard Rasson Offline
Enthusiast

thank you so much Noel
now that I think of it, I do quite often use the "open midi file" menu item to inspect the chord chart of a song
I am still learning new ways to use chords every week or so

best regards,
Bernard

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français

#613769 - 09/05/20 05:26 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Bernard,

I can tell from your posts that you're reading your way through BIAB's possibilites.

It's a brilliant program and it's got a massive amount of potential under the hood. Even now, after starting with it in 2006, I'm still finding new things out about the software.

Just in case you haven't found this part of the PG Music website, yet, the link below will take you to a collection of video clips that might be useful.

https://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

All the best with taming BIAB!

Regards,
Noel

#613888 - 09/06/20 04:02 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Noel96]
Bernard Rasson Offline
Enthusiast

thank you very much Noel
I only knew about the New Real Tracks and Xtra Style Paks videos
your help is very much appreciated
best regards,
Bernard

Je parle français

#613900 - 09/06/20 05:33 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Noel, I haven’t checked this but aren’t all of those other possible extensions deprecated now? I thought you would just get MGU or SGU now.
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#613905 - 09/06/20 05:52 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Matt,

I just this minute tried loading a midi file onto the Melody track and saving it as a BIAB file. With BIAB 2020 (730), the BIAB file saved as MGX.

I'm not absolutely certain about this but I think the file types that have been done away with are MG1, MG2, etc., which used to be songfiles based on the built-in styles.

Sooner or later, John Ford might jump in and enlighten us a bit more. He's much more versed in how BIAB has grown historically than I am.

All the best,
Noel

#614680 - 09/12/20 07:20 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
.mgx files are those with embedded multichannel MIDI. Since the MIDI is in either the melody or soloist track, it has to be an mg-something, rather than sg-something.

Laptop-HP Omen I7-10750H Win10Pro 32GB 2x1TB SSD/2TB SATA
Desktop-ASUS-I7-3770 Win10Pro 32GB 2x2TB SATA

BB2021/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com

#614705 - 09/12/20 09:59 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Thanks for the clarification, Noel and John.
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#614720 - 09/12/20 12:05 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I'm a little late to the party on this, and while MGX may not be referenced in the manual, I did find this in the Help:

The [Copy Melody to Melody Track] is a utility function that should only be used when the style is "finished." Prior to executing this command, the Melody track contains the entire MIDI file with all of the parts. This "MIDI-file-on-the-Melody-track" is used to create the style. Once the style is created, you might want to extract the actual Melody track from the MIDI file to put on the Melody track. The channels used are the channels that have the BB Part set to "Melody." When you do this command, you get a chance to first save the MGX file (i.e. the file with the MIDI file on the Melody track), so that you can revisit the file. This "Copy Melody to Melody Track" is useful to audition your new style, because you can then hear just the Melody along with your style.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 contient quelques 80 fonctionnalités inédites!

Nous avons beaucoup travaillé pour offrir à Band-in-a-Box® 2021® cette étonnante panoplie de quelques 80 fonctions inédites et sa collection de contenus originaux à savoir : 202 RealTracks, des RealStyles inédits, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes Instrument, des Performances Artiste, un Bonus RealDrums "Solo", des transcriptions RealDrums, les MultiStyles PAK 1, les Xtra Styles PAKs 10 et 11, et bien plus encore!

Achat | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

VIDEO: Band-in-a-Box® Works Great in Windows®11!

Here's an introductory look at Band-in-a-Box® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Forum Stats
34878 Members
66 Forums
70856 Topics
613452 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Best grade, hsaskbb7, John Norgaard, pratanubanerjee, it1776

34881 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 178