Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#614609 - 09/11/20 03:30 PM [User Showcase] Crocodile / Vocals revised...version II
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Hi Folks.
After reading some suggestions, decided to give this another shot with vocals. So I re-singed my parts using a different mic. I think vocals are more clear now. Thank you for taking time and your suggestions!
Crocodile Version II

Crocodile Version II

Here is my September contribution to the forum. Just having fun. Mixing was somewhat challenging on this, so I will post the final version as is. Spoken lyrics where derived from Wiki. My wife, Katya helped with spoken vocals. Critical points are ALWAYS welcomed. Thank you for your time!
Misha.

Crocodile

Lyrics:
It is getting late, I am sitting in my cave
Got no light, no books, no video games
Got no shiny TV on my wall, but I got this pile of mammoth bones

From palaeontological and archaeological evidence, Australopithecus apparently evolved in eastern Africa around 4.2 million years ago before spreading throughout the continent and eventually becoming extinct 1.9 million years ago

Sitting by the hut on a shore of Nile
Im gonna hunt me a tasty crocodile
I got no computer with sixty four damn bit
All I got is a sharp spear and a pair of fast feet

The first settlements in the Nile Valley began around 7,000 years ago. Hunters and gatherers moved to the Nile Valley from less fertile areas in Africa and southwest Asia. As in other parts of the world, these settlements gradually developed into more and more complex societies.

It is getting late, sitting at my desk
can not see the moon through a muddy glass
little buttons flicker on telephony dial
I wish I would be hunting crocodiles.

The 21st century has been marked by growing economic globalization and integration, with consequent increased risk to interlinked economies, as exemplified by the Great Recession of the late 2000s and early 2010s. This period has also seen the expansion of communications with mobile phones and the Internet, which have caused fundamental societal
changes in business, politics, and individuals' personal lives.

Tech stuff: 
Lyrics: me + Wikipedia 
Vocals: me / Katya
BIAB:
2590:Bass, Electric, RockPickedQuarters Ev 165
896:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm FolkRock Ev 100
2553:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Songwriter16thsHigh Ev16 075
1601:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Melodic Ev 065
1577:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Soul60sSync Ev 110
2335:String Quartet, Rhythm PopHall Ev 085
RealDrums:PopPromiseEv16^5-a: Snare, HiHat , b: Snare, Ride Various Kontakt midi guitars. Recorded & mixed in Cakewalk.

Edited by Rustyspoon# (09/15/20 06:49 AM)

#614613 - 09/11/20 03:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
Ahh, I get to be the first, Misha!

You are showing your lyrical acumen again, along with your penchant for intriguing and unusual music compositions that are always so compelling. The spoken lines are just plain cool and add another dimension to your song that fits well.

Fun, fun, fun. One of the most original pieces I've heard lately.

#614619 - 09/11/20 04:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Misha, what a kaleidoscope that was! Love the mixup of instruments, harmonies, lyrics, spoken word… It had everything! And produced so excellently. I’ve had the idea for a long time to make a song where the lyric was basically reading the ingredients of some highly processed food; You’ve done something similar by leaning on Wikipedia. Great job, loved it!

#614639 - 09/11/20 06:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Misha & Katya,
UNREAL.
The delay/ping pong on the spoken word is just short of annoying..instead it's the right level of disorientating.
EXCELLENT.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#614648 - 09/12/20 01:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Wow! Man, you outdid yourself, Misha!

Just love what you did with the instrumentation and mix on this, just sounds amazing through the 'phones!

Vocals are great too. The delay fx on Katya's voice is cool, but I wonder if you dropped the volume on the repeats a little if it might be more effective?

That bit starting at 1:48 ... pure genius!

Your stuff is always just so creative and original, and fun! Loved it smile

#614653 - 09/12/20 03:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Misha ...

I'm commenting as I listen for the 2nd time. You are the most creative composer on the forum! Your music is always different from the typical posts ... and always in a good way.

This is simply fantastic ... exceptional in every way!!!

I do agree with Dave that Katya's spoken word voice might be even more dynamic with just a little less of the vocal FX. Yet, it's so good as it is.

That was a great listen ... I enjoyed the entire trip. Best to you and Yours ...

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#614661 - 09/12/20 05:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
olemon Offline
Expert

Unique and cutting edge. Very creative. I loved it!

#614685 - 09/12/20 07:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Misha (and Katya),

I agree with all that has been said already.

You are incredibly creative. The Frank Zappa of Band-In-A-Box! The included instruments are so well thought out (and creative!) and mixed together seamlessly.

The write is as creative as the music.

The beginning vocal is slightly "boom-y" or a bit "muddy" - from :25 to :35 - then it gets clear after that. Kayta's vocal is cool, really well spoken. I thought it might be just slightly louder than it should be. Opinions, of course.

This deserves a big WOW! You create amazing music.

fj

#614756 - 09/12/20 05:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Very creative and fun at the same time, I enjoyed it. Reminded me of a SpongeBob cartoon where he goes back to the past with only a spear. Keep up the creativity, there's never too much of it!

#614767 - 09/12/20 06:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Scott,
Thank you for listening and kind words!
-----
Ray,
"short of annoying..instead it's the right level of disorientating" LOL! that was the idea, but I think I got a bit to carried away with FX I was not familiar with.
-----
Dave,
Thank you for listening, your awesome feedback and suggestion! Yeah, too much FX stuff is going on in this. Now, when I gave my ears some rest, I can hear it clearly. I will try to tame some of that digital goodness.
----
Alan,
Thank you for your time kind words and suggestion! I will try to address FX overload.
----
Scott,
Thank you for listening!
----
FJ,
Thank you for your time and kind words...
And special thanks for this: "boom-y" or a bit "muddy" YES! Boom-y that is so precise! I tried whole bunch of "by the book" and unorthodox things in trying to address this... It might be that a microphone I used was not the right one for the instruments dynamics. I will try to re-record this next week with another mic to see if it makes a difference. But it also might relate to my ape skills in mixing smile
----
Tunemonger,
Thank you for listening and fun comments!
I have not watch Mr.Bob's trip to the past. I have to ask my son, as he was into it at one point.

Misha.

#614842 - 09/13/20 08:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Wacky and wonderful, Misha!
The intro ( and that lovely short strings break) are musical gems and lyrics have all the zany genius we expect from Rusty Spoon.
I agree the spoken word parts ( Katy delivers them so well) could come down in volume a little... I`d also like to ask what fx you used as I`ve tried and failed to create something similar in the past.
Going back for another croc hunt now.

Robert

#614847 - 09/13/20 08:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Sounds to me like a satire of the modern society, "I got no computer with sixty four damn bit", the melancholy mood highlights the yearning for simpler times. Very original, the spoken parts blend nicely with the theme. The band sounds great and the mix is great - you have created very nice atmosphere with FX. I especially like the instrumental break with strings and humming.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#614883 - 09/13/20 12:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
The most creative endeavor we've heard here in some time.

Janice who is nearly always circumspect regarding experimental pieces
immediately said, "I like it!"

And so does Bud.

She also commented on how much she liked it when the strings entered. Yep.

The imagery setting the three periods of time is outstanding.
Paleolithic to late stone age to modern...most cool.

You two along with Wiki make a GREAT team.

Your vocals, the spoken word, the vocal processing, the band and the mix
all worked well for us and sounded excellent on the monitors.

Most entertaining!

J&B

#614885 - 09/13/20 12:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Misha,

With all the beautifull words already spoken out here, what can I say more? you did an outstanding job. It's always a surprise with what kind of song you come every month. Is Covid doing that to you?

I can whine a bit about some thing that sound a bit high, but I don't do that. I only want to tell you I enjoyed every part in it. Well..., the most I like were those very long lines no one can understand because of the effects you used.
Tell me how this crocodilesongs entered your head.

Very nice listen,
Hans

#614904 - 09/13/20 04:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

This awesome man!

I LOVE this.

Super huge congratulations. Massively creative.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#614922 - 09/13/20 06:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi Misha & Katya
What a tasty treat. Love it.
Regards,
Leon

#614944 - 09/14/20 01:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Misha

Simply amazing, clever and inventive.

Completely refreshing (like Dave loved the strings)

Peter

#614953 - 09/14/20 03:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Robert,
Thank you for kind words and suggestions!
The FX is called Shutter, which was a part of Izotope Nectar 2 suite. I believe it transitioned into new Nectar 3 too. This was the first time I tried it. Not quite a traditional delay at all. It is very tricky on "un-rhymed" spoken word, because accents do not fall on particular beats. I am sure it could be managed manually with envelope. Just did not have time to go deeper.
---
Janne,
Thank you for listening and your feedback! Maybe I exaggerated a little, but sure "yearning for simpler times." smile
---
J&B,
Thank you for listening and your kind words! Ohh, I wish Bud would teleport himself for five minutes to guide me mixing this. I am sure it would take him exactly that long to spot the problems smile
---
Hans,
Thank you for listening and your fun comments! Hmmm you made me think about the origin of idea.... I think it relates to a couple of Post-apocalyptic fiction books I read. They were by different writers but they had two things in common: Falling back to primal instincts (as society), which was for the most part hunting for food and also looking back at time, analyzing silliness of lifestyles before the "event".
---
David,
Thank you for taking time and your kind words here and on SC!
---
Leon,
Thank you for stopping by and your support!
---
Peter,
Thank you for listening and your kind comments!

#615002 - 09/14/20 08:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
vicarn Offline
Apprentice

Very entertaining.
My brain was doing circles.

Vic

#615062 - 09/14/20 05:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Crocodile [Re: Rustyspoon#]
jptjptjpt Offline
Journeyman

Cool song. Very clear recording. Your wife's readings were good. You vocals remind me somewhat of the guy from Talking Heads. Good stuff. I like it. Good use of the band.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows: New Features Video

It's here! Check out all the new features released with Band-in-a-Box 2021 for Windows with our New Features video.
www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Video - 202 New RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows®!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020, we added 202 new RealTracks! There are brand-new RealTracks for Jazz, Blues, Funk, Latin, Pop, Rock, World, Country, Americana & Celtic, and more!

Get the newest RealTracks Sets 353-375 when you purchase the PlusPAK upgrade (ideal for 2020 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+ customers) for just $99 during our special (reg. $129).

Want the entire RealTracks Sets 1-375 collection with over 3,100 RealTracks? They are included with any Band-in-a-Box 2021 for Windows UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Check out our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows® - 202 New RealTracks Overview, which demonstrates the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352.

NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 10 & MultiStyles PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

We've just released some amazing new Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 with 50 styles each for Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Folk Celebration! These carefully crafted RealStyles include lo-fi acoustic guitar hip hop, triple-guitar garage rock, a barbeque boom-chick jam, slidin' lazy country blues, bolero and bossa nova fusion, a Gypsy and stride ballad, praise break organ jazz fusion, surfin' folk rock, barn dance old-time stomp 'n' clap, an acoustic folky blues jam, and so much more!

Introducing MultiStyles PAK 1! 30 MultiStyles containing 120 styles - that's a total of 150 Styles! We've included 10 MultiStyles each for Country, Jazz, and Rock-Pop. Our jazz greats MultiStyle allows you to switch between piano and guitar comping, or select from two different solos. Our Jamaican groove selecta allows you to switch from ska at one section to reggae, island groove, or reggae with sax solo at another. A Tex-Mex country MultiStyle allows you to switch between a regular-time and double-time feel. And that's just the beginning. There's so much more in store! Once you dive into these professionally-mixed MultiStyles, you'll wonder how you ever made due with only two substyles per song! Use one substyle for a softer intro, another one for a restrained breakdown, then throw in a different and energetic middle-eight, or change it up with a solo. The possibilities are endless!

And they're ON SALE!

Xtra Styles PAK 10, and ALL our Xtra Styles PAKs, are on sale for $29 (reg. $49) each! Haven't purchased Xtra Styles yet, but now you want them all? The COMPLETE collection of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-10 with over 1,600 RealStyles can be yours for only $199 (reg. $349)! There's also an option to purchase the newest Xtra Styles PAKs 9 & 10 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for a bundle price of $49, if you missed out on our previous special! www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Purchase MultiStyles PAK 1 for only $19 (reg. $29)! Adding the 2021 49-PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows purchase? No need to buy this separately, MultiStyles PAK 1 is included with it! www.pgmusic.com/addons.multistyles.php?os=win

Mac user? Click here for your OS specific product announcement.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows is HERE!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2020- save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks and the just-released MultiStyles PAK 1) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows at: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

Forum Stats
33298 Members
67 Forums
66494 Topics
569629 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Wmpf, ewesaname, jymorisson49, BFPeck, RussellAnderson

33298 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 283
Pipeline 269