Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi, I like to use F10 a fair bit to loop highlighted sections of a song. I found what appears to be a weakness in the process that I suspect needs some programming to fix. If I am correct that it needs to be programmed the programming is about as easy as programming can get yet the improvement alone is probably enough to get me to upgrade because it will get me using the feature a lot more often :-)

The problem is the fact that the difference between the highlighted chord view cells and the cell that is playing right now within the loop is so slight that it becomes very difficult to know which cell is the current cell playing and this is important to know at a glance if one gets lost or if one just wants to tend to something else then get back to working with the loop. I would recommend simply changing the current cell playing background colour to (light yellow against black letters) to contrast with the (black background with white letters) of the highlighted section. You might want to make this the default option with the option to change the background colour to other light colors such as light blue or light green that contrast well with the black letters.

I thought there was a work around but unfortunately not:
Okay so I discovered that once the loop is playing and while it continues to play I could highlight a cell outside the loop and I could easily see the current cell playing within the loop. However this creates two problems and is a very poor work around. 1/ there is no way to pause the loop such that I can restart it with F10 only (the loop is lost and F10 restarts the song from the beginning). I tried both space bar and ESC and they both stop the loop but again pressing F10 restarts from the beginning of the song (not good). 2/ Highlighting outside the loop so one can see the current bar playing can cause one to forget where they set the loop. So it is better to keep the loop area highlighted as it currently is now and have the current bar playing be changed as I describe above.

That's it, I would give this a high priority if I was in PG-Music's shoes simply because it is so easy to change yet could get someone to upgrade (in other words the payback period could be within a day if people are notified of this fix). Notifying specific people of fixes they have requested is a good idea but a lot harder :-) I have requested a few things and have no idea if they are in (I get so busy).

Thanks,
John

Last edited by bowlesj; 09/26/20 04:56 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
My system is Windows based and I'm unsure if you have a PC or Mac version of BIAB and I'm also unsure if this works with the Mac version of BIAB the same as the Windows version.

However, on my Windows BIAB I can input a looping command that does not highlight the looped section but rather, it highlights the bar playing just as BIAB does when it's not in looping mode so I see the bar playing and the Chord Chart appears as it normally does. When the looped section reaches the end of the loop, the highlighted bar jumps back to the first bar of the loop and continues the looping process. This allows me to clearly see where BIAB is playing on the Chord Chart. I can stop the loop playing with the spacebar and hitting space bar again and the loop continues to play from the bar it stopped on. I can also stop loop play and select any bar within the loop and the loop will continue from that bar forward and continue looping.

To do this on the BIAB Windows version:

. Select any bar on the Chord Chart. It doesn't matter if there's already a Chord placed in the chart. The Chord returns once you hit the Enter Key.
. Type the command in the bar: L4,1 and enter. The L commands BIAB to enable looping. The 4 is the number of bars to loop. The comma separates the number of bars to loop from the bar you want looping to begin at. In this example the beginning bar is 1.

This command instructs the song to begin playing at bar one, play for 4 bars and loop back to bar 1. L2,9 will loop 2 bars beginning at bar 9.
Follow this procedure to loop any number of bars beginning at any bar.

Hopefully, this process will work for you regardless of which version you have.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 09/26/20 04:42 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks Charlie, I got your method to work including the space bar pause and the restart from any bar. That certainly solves the issue #1 of my work around (the more important issue). I will document it in my reminder database and set it for frequent repeats initially so I get in the habit of using it and being able to remember how to do it.

However issue #2 of these workarounds is not solved and I think it would still be worth having solved. It is also easier to highlight the bars than having to enter the commands (both easier to do and remember - no need for a reminder database entry which most user's won't have programmed for themselves). So for just these two reasons PG-Music may still want to make the change considering the fact that the change can probably be done within 10 minutes by the programmer who knows exactly where the code is (not by other programmers since finding the code may take quite a while).

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
Thanks Charlie, I got your method to work including the space bar pause and the restart from any bar. That certainly solves the issue #1 of my work around (the more important issue). I will document it in my reminder database and set it for frequent repeats initially so I get in the habit of using it and being able to remember how to do it.

However issue #2 of these workarounds is not solved and I think it would still be worth having solved. It is also easier to highlight the bars than having to enter the commands (both easier to do and remember - no need for a reminder database entry which most user's won't have programmed for themselves). So for just these two reasons PG-Music may still want to make the change considering the fact that the change can probably be done within 10 minutes by the programmer who knows exactly where the code is (not by other programmers since finding the code may take quite a while).

I agree and will add my plus one to your proposal.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
So here is my reminder database entry with a slight rewording of Charlie's instructions:

Subject:
There is a way to loop BIAB that allows you to (see the current bar being played) and allows you to also (pause and restart the loop with the space bar) and allows you to (pause the loop then highlight any bar within the loop and restart it from that new location with the space bar). See notes for how to do this.

Notes:
To do this on the BIAB Windows version:

1/ Select any bar on the Chord Chart. The command I am about to give in point #2 below will temporarily hide any Chord that appears in that cell but pressing enter to initiate the loop causes the chord to reappear (no need to worry).
2/ Type "L4,1" in the bar and enter. The L commands BIAB to enable looping. The 4 is the number of bars to loop and the 1 is the bar you want looping to begin. This command instructs the song to begin playing at bar one, play for 4 bars and loop back to bar 1. As another example, L2,9 will loop 2 bars beginning at bar 9.

As stated in the subject line press space bar to pause the loop and press space bar again to restart it. Before you press space bar to restart it you can highlight a different bar within the loop to restart from.

Last edited by bowlesj; 09/26/20 04:57 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Sorry I didn't read it all, but do you just want to change the color to see it better ?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB-Highlight-Chords-Color.gif (141.7 KB, 58 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Yes, just a colour change :-) I have BIAB version 2018 and 2016. I noticed yours has a blue background for the one that is being played (perfect). My versions have almost the exact same background as the highlight background for the whole loop (next to impossible to see which one is playing at the moment even if I stop and try really hard - in fact I think it is impossible - must be the same colour). Did you set a parameter somewhere to get the current bar playing to a different colour?

I tried (options, preferences, colors, chord cell) as the attached picture shows but it did not change the current cell.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Colours.png (155.26 KB, 51 downloads)
Last edited by bowlesj; 09/26/20 01:30 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Can't recall if this feature was in the 2018 version, but try options > Preferences > Display.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yeah, I'm not sure what version had what ???

BB-Display-Preferences-Chord-Sheet.png (69.42 KB, 45 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks Pipeline, I got the colors I want for the current playing bar against the highlighted loop bars. Your dropdown located at the top right of display options was all I needed. I had looked there before but didn't notice that drop down. So after analyzing the selections for a while I finally figured it out (I could not read your selections). Actually I went back later while proof reading this post and with Google chrome using ctrl+ I was able to make your post's characters larger so eventually I could see your selections.

So Between Charlie's info and this is it is pretty much solved.

Having said that, it seems Charlie's approach is the only way to get pause to work without loosing the loop. The space bar pause does not work with the highlighted bars approach (the loop is lost).

I clicked the (loop button, Loop Section Dialog) sequence and found reference to the L command Charlie pointed out. You can leave the default to 4 bars or change it to a different value. I also tried entering L3 then pressing enter. It defaults to beginning the loop from the current highlighted bar.

In the end (because I generally only loop small difficult sections for improvising purposes) I will probably use the highlighted bars approach and if I have to stop with the space bar I will just restart it from the beginning with the F10 key. But I will keep my reminder entry and maybe in the future I will have a need for the L command. Come to think of it, if one gives a 2 bar lead in to a large difficult section there is probably no need for all the loop to be highlighted. I find the loop in itself normally takes a bit of practice.

Last edited by bowlesj; 09/26/20 04:14 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If you hold ctrl then use the mouse wheel it will zoom the page in/out.
I asked for this ages ago for the chord sheet rather than having to go into display options, as most apps work this way like word processors, text editors, image editors, browsers etc..

BB-Mouse-Zoom-Chord-Sheet.gif (211.56 KB, 16 downloads)
BB-Mouse-Zoom-Chord-Sheet2.gif (200.42 KB, 15 downloads)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,083
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185