Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
floyd jane #617705 10/03/20 01:20 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Had a listen to this a couple of days ago when you put it up on SoundCloud. Lovely song Floyd. Beautiful vocal and lyric. Piano was a perfect choice to frame your vocal

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
A lovely song, yes a bit Jackson brown but a lot fj.
There're a few spots where the vocal & harmony are aggressive like on "the light..." usually the 1st couple of syllables of a phrase. That could be left as is or a tiny bit of level automation could temper it.
You did a fab job with a sparse arrangement and dynamic textures.
Excellent - as usual.

ray - you "keep me on my toes" regarding vocals. And I appreciate that. I often walk through a vocal reducing every instance of siblance manually - because otherwise "ray will call me on it!" (and it turns out to be worth the effort). I hear the bumps that you refer to. One more thing I'll have to keep an eye (ear) on. I've been trying different set ups for vocals lately - looking for something that I haven't found yet. Changing hardware settings and software plugins...

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Really good, floyd, as per usual smile

Those harmonies ... magnificent! I'll need to research Helicon.

And the vocal overall sounds fabulous, nice and warm, just the right amount of presence.

Piano sounds great too, are you running the MIDI SuperTrack through EZKeys? Also really like the cello and strings.

Songwriting at it's best, loved it.

Thanks, Dave! Yes...all the piano tracks are generated using the same EZKeys module - in this case the Grand piano. I had to export the EZKeys generated parts from the stand alone as a wav file because the MIDI export changed tempos when I dropped it into Studio One (researched it online and could not find an answer to correct it). And then import the MSTs from BIAB and drop the EZKeys Grand on them.
I have the Studio Grand, too. It cuts through a big mix better than the Grand, but the Grand has a nice warmth that is better for this type vocal/piano song.
I have used the Upright for other vocal/piano songs. And in one I just finished, I used the Dream Machine and the Grand (I played those parts via a Yamaha digital piano as a controller...)

floyd jane #617849 10/05/20 05:23 AM
User Showcase
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Hi Floyd,

I gave this a listen a few days ago but didn't have a chance to post a reply...

May I add another title to the many I have given you on this board?
I hereby dub thee "the Troubadour of Troubled Relationships"...

"still the cries are heard
pouring shadows down into the street
sharp, accusing words
sometimes I fear I might go back
it's hard to stay away"

Wow, does this ever paint a vivid and sobering picture

floyd jane #617858 10/05/20 06:21 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sir ... my most sincere of congratulations. You have really broken the barrier of the high standard you yourself set.

I love how you almost whisper the key lyrics. "The silence helps you hurt a little more" is just the perfect lyric - I, too, love how you switch from "you", to "her" and finally to "me".

Easily the best I've heard from you. SO sensitively sung. Harmonies, etc., are perfect - that goes without saying. The sensitivity of it all is the key to it, though. You have a talent of telling a story, of articulating what we mere mortals fumble to - and often over-complicate. You just go out there and say it ... and it works.

The greatest thing, the greatest compliment I can say and give about this song is this: I can relate.

Thank you for creating this song, for having the courage to write like this when most of us would rather hide.

floyd jane #617928 10/05/20 02:56 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Floyd
Well written and beautifully sung. The arrangement and mix sound great to me.
Regards,
Leon

floyd jane #617943 10/05/20 05:01 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Lovely song. Well written and well sung. Obviously (from the copyright date), this song was written when an artist could express more than shallow feelings about drinking beer on a Caribbean island. Great use of the band. I absolutely love the album cover art work. If that's you too than I am really blown away.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
floyd jane #617964 10/05/20 10:41 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello floyd jane,

Superb composition. Sweet as you wish by your voice and with a superb arrangement. I loved the violin in the background. Loneliness, evil of our cities, is very well expressed in your lyrics. Well done.

Kindly regard

alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Tano Music #618006 10/06/20 04:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
A 1977 write. Had me wonder how close to the original version what we hear in 2020 remains? A walk with no destination on a journey that never ends... Perfect setting for loneliness and silence. Enjoyed my listen.

Originally Posted By: Tano Music
I also noticed, right off the bat, that this is work that was done a long time ago, so I was immediately interested in hearing the “early” Floyd. I especially liked that your stanzas ended with an impersonal “you” , then “she”, and finally “me”..a kind of progressively-personalizing reflection. And you had some really nice intra-line rhymes..to me, these are like little verbal Velcro hooks that keep you listening closely. As others have said, the musical setting and performance are top-notch...the only thing I would have done differently is maybe a vocal repeat of that last phrase, but that’s just personal preference...excellent!
PS..I’ll add my vote to some feedback on how this might be different from your 1977 performance of same.

Charlie and Tano - thanks for having a listen...

The song is pretty much as I wrote it in '77 with a couple tweaks to the lyric. When I decided to record this, I hadn't played it for probably 30 years and when I did play, there were 2 spots in the lyric that didn't sit right for me now. Both in the last verse.

Originally:

"pouring shadows down into the street
in accusing, painful words"

...sounded like the young developing writer that I was at the time. Too wordy and a bit over dramatic. So that I changed:

"pouring shadows down into the street
sharp, accusing words..."

(even that made me wince a little).

Originally:

"but i sit and watch the light stay on
as it waits to meet the day"

...again sounded like an "early over-poetic" writer.
So that became:

"but i sit and watch the light stay on
and try to keep out of its way"

...which I liked a bunch better. It gives more depth to the story at that point.

Of course, the original was always played with just a guitar.
Being able to add the BAND really helped to bring the song to life (to my ears)

Thanks for asking!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Nothing not to like here as usual Floyd.
Lovely sound and poignant lyric.

Vic

Thanks, Vic.

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Very, very well done. I find it fascinating when users post old songs they wrote, re-imagined with Band-in-a-Box. You wrote this over 40 years ago and it still holds up - thanks for sharing smile

Deryk - nice of you to drop by. And it is nice to have folks think that a 40 year old song still works... smile

floyd jane #618221 10/07/20 11:55 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"there's a river of pain flowing by my door
and half the tears are mine"

Trying to pull a favorite line out of this write is an exercise in futility -- the above is so strong.

The imagery throughout is overwhelmingly good.
Heck the first line grabbed us. "...Quarter past a late hour." So many would just write that it's late or specify an hour. Another phrase that struck us is a "bit of dawn" which is so easy to picture as a magnificent still shot.

A number of sad songs show up on our playlists but they are so rarely if ever this thought provoking.

We could go on and on. It's an amazing write.

The piano is perfecto as it nails the mood and is very complementary to your excellent vocal. As Janice says, "I always love even more hearing him sing with a piano."

You certainly know how to pick those MSTs, and RTs (that cello!) and your created tracks were very nice.

And your most tasteful artwork fit the mood well.

Masterful!

J&B

floyd jane #618254 10/07/20 03:17 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
First off, this is beautiful. Vocals, arrangement, band, production and mix. All top-notch.

Secondly, thanks for not going where most songs like this go. Hurting a little LESS never cured anybody. Hurting a little MORE is what changes hearts. POWERFUL!

Lastly, I love this.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
floyd jane #618282 10/08/20 12:17 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

What a nice song you made all those years ago!
Very sensitive lyrics and brought by you in a marvelous way. Poignant!

It was interesting to hear how you dealt with the harmonies with the use of Helicon.
You did very well with it. The harmonies sounded naturall, and that is not always the case with Harmony-software like Helicon or Altares.
I used them as well, but focussing on Melodyne now.
But whatever, you made and performed very well on this so sad song, although you always do!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
floyd jane #618387 10/08/20 04:00 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Floyd,

This is a really gorgeous song. I love this.

Robertkc #618537 10/10/20 04:41 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: olemon
I love this one, Floyd. It's genuine and emotional and your telling of it draws the listener in.

The vocal performance has to be one of your best. The blend of your voice and the piano is just right, especially in those critical first few seconds, and there's a spaciousness too that's pleasing and natural that fits the setting.

From the first lyric I was like, 'Wow! This is good!'

Scott - thanks for that very generous review!

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Can't say enough.
Just excellent should do it!

Well told story.
Delivered with skill and emotion.

Thanks, Captain!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
Beautiful and heartfelt songwriting. The story, internal as it is, has a nice arc with the subtle changes on the chorus last lines reminding there are real changing lives involved.
A fine simple arrangement and clear strong vocals; its all very, very good!

Robert

I really appreciate that, Robert... Thanks!

floyd jane #618651 10/11/20 03:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Unquestionably classic quality.

Check the lyrics.

Listen to the vocals and harmonies.

Examine the simplicity of the backing, which evokes enormous richness in the overall delivery.

Not a single note was missing, not a single note was left wanting. Anywhere.

Classic quality. Have to say it again.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
floyd jane #618697 10/11/20 09:20 AM
User Showcase
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
Floyd - That's a good one. It's got your signature style and tone. Your facility with language and lyrics is always impressive. The song deftly creates an atmosphere of heartache and the descriptions in the lyrics create strong images. As always, a really solid mix and production.

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

Al-David #618790 10/12/20 04:23 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Such an emotionally-gripping, poignant song. This one goes on my list of top Floyd songs. Beautifully arranged and performed.

You broke a heart once? Just once?

Thanks, Scott. (I think just this once smile )

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
You're always such a good story teller! Thanks for taking the time to share this one with us.

Nice of you to drop by, Ember... Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd ...

I'll keep it simple, like your song.

Emotional.

A simplicity that says it all.

A bold truth.

Every single thing it needs and not the slight of what it doesn't.

Captivating, both musically and lyrically.

That pretty much says it all for me. Best to you and yours and please be safe.

Alan

Thanks for the fine review, Alan... smile

dcuny #618909 10/13/20 03:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

Really pretty, really poignant. Excellent production—just the right balance and touches. Would be really curious to hear more about how this song may have evolved from its original 1977 write given the passage of time. Great stuff!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks, Deej. Check my answer to Charlie and Tano for that explanation of the couple of changes I made to the original....

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Good write, as usual - even for a 40+ year old song. wink

The change of POV through the verses was notable.

The sparse instrumentation worked for me - the additional instrumentation were subtle and didn't distract.

The only nit was the harmonies - they were perhaps a bit too close rhythmically. These days, anything too perfect calls attention to itself as sounding unnatural. laugh

I enjoyed the song, which is really the important bit.

David - I always look forward to reading your thoughts on a song and the particulars of the production. Always. Thanks.
An interesting assessment of "too tight" harmonies. I find just the opposite - although I agree they can seem "too perfect" at times, it is a hallmark of a lot of today's music. Particularly Pop and "modern" Country. Harmonies are VERY tight. Often generated (it seems) and when they are sung, software is used to make them fall right on top of each other - with a tight rhythmic follow. VocALign will do amazing things - if that is the sound you are after, of course. I'd love to try it, but at $400 for the PRO version and the need for an iLok USB key (and the fact it is not supported in Studio One until version 3) mean that I won't be going there...
smile

floyd jane #618971 10/13/20 02:41 PM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Just...........BEAUTIFUL!!!! Tears at the heart in the best way!!! Melancholy songs are always my favorite and you wrote a doozy here!!!! Beautiful arrangement and vocal to top of a great song!! AMAZING my friend!!!

I never broke a heart.......only ever had 2 serious girlfriends......first one dumped me and broke my heart (and provided a lifetime of material for sad songs) and I married the second one! Well, maybe I broke her heart, or at least wore it out, by staying with her all these years!

Take care. Greg

Will Josef #619049 10/14/20 06:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great song that reminded me a bit of Dan Fogelberg's Same Old Lang Syne. I liked everything about this one, including the harmonies. Superb work as always.

TM - thanks! Nice to be reminded of Dan Folgelberg - had not heard his name for a while, so it sent me down memory lane (and a Youtube rabbit hole smile )...

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
The way you can tell/sing a story is amazing. 1977-memories? It makes many of us curious of what really happened. wink

Fantastic work, Floyd!

Will

Thanks for stopping by, Will. Like I said...I did break a heart... not proud of it. We'll leave the details somewhat nebulous.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,338
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182