Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
2020 DAW BENCHMARK RADIO SHOWS.
further to my last thread about daw multitrack software benchmarks etc.
people with recording studios might find this very interesting. lots of topics are covered.

here are the dawbench radio shows for 2020 so far.
https://dawbench.libsyn.com/
page down page to see episodes if you dont see them.
important info for recording studio software users imho.
very knowledgeable people.
before playing each there is a READ MORE SUMMARY.

episode 6. sept 2020.
dawbench host with Pete Brown of microsoft.
episode 5. july 2020.
dawbench host with Andrew Keresztes. film/tv etc. sampling/cubendo/reaper and benchmarking etc.
episode 4. march 2020.
dawbench host joined by guest co-host Leon Herbers of XI Machines.
topics include. dawbench 2020 benchmarking suite. music tech in the decade. cubendo.win 7. new Macpro. high core cpu's. and other topics.

there are also 3 previous episodes.in 2019.
just page down. dawbench history/reaper interview with Justin Frankel/RME who make asudio interfaces.etc etc lots of interesting info and highly experienced people..
hope pg users find usefull.
best.
oldmuso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/03/20 05:55 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
update.
these radio discussions are very very fascinating//interesting.

episode 6 gets into various microsoft OS aspects and also midi towards end.
this episode shows OBVIOUSLY MS IS VERY INVOLVED in addressing audio aspects important to us daw users.
i was surprised and impressed with MS in this discussion.

episode 5 gets into orchestral sampling, kontakt, and film scoring, and then unique advantages of reaper ,
multi core systems etc and towards end such aspects as large track templates.
lots of interesting topics.

i would suggest people doing music scoring for picture in particular will find episode 6 interesting.
the people involved in these radio shows are obviously pro's in their respective areas of expertise.

any project studio should find these discussions interesting and educational. particularly those studios useing orchestral
libs as in episode 6.

best
muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/23/20 04:48 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, thank you! I need to watch these. In past decades, Microsoft was known for NOT being aware of the needs of audio producers. This looks like very good news.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
MATT.
1. re MS. oh yes its obvious from that discussion with MS , they take it (audio) very very seriously.
and are working with audio product vendors closely. did you notice the midi comments ?
what a lot of people might not realise is there are lots of musicians working in hi tech orgs.
one company i once worked for , had more than a few muso's.
these people i suspect are also haveing an impact on tech decisions.
i'm sure MS have lots of musos working there. thus thats a
good thing.
2. what has really surprised me is on the pg mac forum how many people are haveing probs.
and heres me thinking of getting into mac. i'm just trying to
be open minded.
what really surprised me is soldered ram in the mac mini. really ?
thus this tells me this was to protect the higher end expensive macs.
add in the fact of limited numbers of ports, and an older upgradeable mac refurb is looking like a wise buy to me.
3. i also feel vindicated , once again , suggesting reaper as a good daw solution.
(episode 5 listen to the discussion on useing reaper, its performance // templates etc etc.)

frankly i wonder if there EVER WILL BE A PERFECT OS/DAW combo
solution for us song creators.
i'm sceptical frankly.

i'm gradually working my way through the dawbench episodes.
anyone with a studio should give them a listen imho.

best.
muso.
ps. fyi i just noticed pghboemike has today posted a MS video in the off topic forum. more info.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=624523#Post624523

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/23/20 02:22 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
When WASAPI was first introduced about 5 years ago Pete Brown was pushing it. There's a good YT vid about that and I agree, MS is finally taking notice of music producers. Win 10 has won quite a few studio shootouts comparing it to Mac including a big one with Sonar.

I had started a thread then about WASAPI and a year or two later PG implemented it. It's still not as good as core audio because it can't get latency down to below 10ms but I managed to get it below 30ms in Real Band. Still not good enough for live midi keyboard playing but much, much better than MME. I'm actually disappointed they have not improved WAS latency by much in the last few years.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
JM.
frankly i have no probs with latency right now useing asio
drivers. reaper reports 6 ms. i could get lower but dont bother.
i have DM. i have no complaints bout win right now.
i used to roar lol.
(recording computer stays off net.)
i strictly use low cpu useage plug ins.
before useing a vst or vsti i test it in reaper as to cpu useage. if its a hog i ditch it.
i have a little korg usb kbd i use with vsti's no problem.
midi also no problem.

as a tech i believe one reason some people have probs is they install big orchestral and other libs on a very underpowered computer.

if you want some neat free plug ins , sometime checkout
computer music magazine vault on you tube. (lots of demoes)
one of their synth plug ins i like is called "DUNE".
you just need to spend 20 buks for the mag once to get lots of plug ins. also reaper has a slew of js plug ins.
they might be a tad ugly (some people claim, i dont care) but very effective. eg 1176 classic emulation. and many others.

now very much of interest (above my pay grade) is the new slate digital audio interface with less than 1 millisecond
latency they say.
but most new cheap interfaces are under
3 ms anyway. motu/ssl/maudio/steiny all look pretty decent.

best.
muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/25/20 08:22 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
True but the point is WASAPI is Windows new audio standard and the promise was it would be as good as Core Audio. If that were true I would not need an interface with ASIO to play my keyboard with low latency, just plug in the USB and go. Not needing ASIO means one less piece of hardware and software needed to get low latency audio in Windows.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
jm.
cant argue with that logic.
but every platform has pros/cons.
no perfect solution.
but i'm v happy with win 10 right now.
dont even think bout it.
what i want right now is 10 ghz processors. lol.
best
muso.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
all.
daw//audio interface users should give this a listen.
latest dawbench radio show jan 2021 episode 8, co host is from MS.
guess who is crowned king in audio interface rateings?
midi 2.0 also covered and lots of other topics.
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM...Ag&hl=en-CA

best
muso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/11/21 04:26 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Hey Muso, all the stuff on this is very interesting but I'm curious why the DAW Bench website is so outdated. It seems like most of the benchmark tests are over 5 years old. Is the only new content the radio shows?

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
sslecta.
from what i read on the web they are redoing the web site and a 2021 new dawbench is due ?.

one reason i like them is they cut through any "bs".

i'm not on facebook, but also check facebook dawbench.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/dawbench/posts/
there are also radio shows done in 2020.
(dawbench.libsyn.com)

if you want to delve further, and how i came across them was on gearslutz.com.
but, be warned, very long threads.

just enter into google search gearslutz.com dawbench. lots of info in resulting posts/threads >> eg
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/545208-dawbench-dsp-vi-universal-cross-platform-daw-benchmarks-11.html
tons of posts on gearslutz re dawbench. pages and pages in fact. with other commentary from lots of tech knowledgeable folk with big rigs down to small.
ps just came across this re threadripper and dawbench.
https://pcaudiolabs.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3960x-pro-audio-benchmarks/

AND SOME DAW DEEP TECH STUFF . check it out.
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/windows-music-dev/effectively-removing-the-fls-slot-allocation-limit-in-windows-10/

best
muso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/11/21 08:04 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I checked out the Facebook page. It appears that they have very recent interface bench scores there.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199