Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, As always a great write! I especially like "i plan on having no regrets when it's my day to die" as it is my personal philosophy. Bis sound and the opening guitar is super. I do kind of agree with Ray that a nastier guitar solo may have been a slightly better choice. It is very hard to find anything to nitpick in any of your work but I think he had a valid point as I kind of thought that before I read his comment. Other than that small detraction everything works. I like the gritty vocal processing. My final comment, It rocks! Tom

Tom - thanks for the great review. Not sure if you saw my response to Ray about the solo, but, I agree. I could not find anything in BIAB that would produce the kind of screaming, edgy, soaring Rock lead that I wanted. I don't think BIAB has that covered - one of the few times I've been unable to find an appropriate lead/solo from the Box...

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Nice to hear you experiencing on the harder edge of rock, somewhere between Bon Jovi and Aerosmith. Great rocking sound, nice vocal effect. Interesting change of point of view right before the first chorus, I really like the message in the second verse, although I was wondering what happened to the guy who was happy in the hole.

Janne

Thanks, Janne. Good to know that the Rock thing came across in this... "something new" for me....

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool tune.... certainly a wee tad different for you. Nice work though. I need to listen to it on cans.... sounds pretty solid so far.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!!! Is "punk country" a genre, or did you just invent it?? Such great "kick you in the butt" energy and attitude on display here!! You are the master of many domains my friend!!!! I dig it......may even get me out of my rut, and that is a chore! LOVE IT!!!! Take care. Greg

smile

Thanks for the great review! Punk Country! smile

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

Cool country rock vibe going on here. Great build on the production-just drives the listen on. I find it’s tough in BIAB to really get a good rock edge—but you’ve done it really well here. Masterful work on the production. That guitar lick going into the chorus is killer. Great work, cool tune.

My best to you,

Deej

Thanks, Deej!!

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Such power in that song! The guitar is killing it! I definetely see that tune in a movie like The Punisher, the Equalizer or Jack Reacher! Mix is incredible too. Really really an awesome tune!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!!! Is "punk country" a genre, or did you just invent it?? Such great "kick you in the butt" energy and attitude on display here!! You are the master of many domains my friend!!!! I dig it......may even get me out of my rut, and that is a chore! LOVE IT!!!! Take care. Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_drtSa3KP6o&ab_channel=cbcarbaj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWBbVwxyz_c&ab_channel=JohnnyBongo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1PKMfVbEq4&ab_channel=nzoz1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lypy8IIfHE&list=PL_wdl5_m9m4b-76-tzSbrnj6IyEtE4XuQ&index=18&ab_channel=ScottGoddard-Topic

Ray - that was all new to me. And certainly has a Punk aspect to it...

I was actually trying for more of a Hard Rock Country thing....

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry for getting to this so late. I heard it a couple days ago, and it wasn't doing anything for me. So I figured that was a sign that something was seriously wrong with my ears. sick

Since then, I found a short in my headphones, which explains a lot. crazy

Clearly, this song is outside the expected fj songs, and it does a great job breaking expectations. Vocal effects, angry lyrics, an entirely different attitude.

Works for me now! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Like angry heels grinding in the dirt. It makes be wrinkle up my nose with a scowl on my lips. Dang, Floyd, you know how to bring out the emotion, and each and every instrument adds to the interpretation. Very edgy indeed.

"...angry heels grinding in the dirt". HA! Thanks, Marty!!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Floyd, I think that you can do any genre of music. This is a little more aggressive than your usual posts, but I loved this.

I really liked your lyrics on this one. "always living in the past, that ain't living at all" is so true.

As usual everything is perfect.

Man I wish I had your talent!

I appreciate that, Mario. Thanks!!

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This sounds great man. A song we can all relate to I am sure.

smile

Mr. Snyder. Thanks! Comeback to us Barbara Lewis Hare Krishna Beauregard...

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"you don't see why it shouldn't be like it's always been
ain't your concern if someone else takes it on the chin
so you hunker down, stand your ground, happy in the hole you're diggin'
but that's not who i am'

Amen...they just keep diggin' that hole deeper and deeper.
Might've been Dylan that said many folks had rather pull you down in the hole they're in than come up where you are.

OK, mr jane check another genre off the shorter and shorter list. That would be interesting alone but when they all are this good it becomes quite remarkable.

Several folks mentioned Cowboy Punk -- hmmm, Dwight Yoakum referred to his music as that early on. This is much more modern in sound, a la, Tyminski.

The lyric, the cool processed vocal, the band, the mix are all standout.

Powerful.

OK on to EDM.

J&B

PS Nice edgy artwork!

HA! That EDM thing ain't gonna happen. I can't rap, either... But hopefully we can all try stretching the boundaries now and again...
Thanks for the great comments.
smile

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
How UNFLOYDISH. .. shocked

But, Floyd, this one is simply gorgeous. You should have seen me listening to it: mouth wide open from start to finish. Fabulous write and the instrumentation just knocked me totally down.

I really wouldn't mind, if you'd come up with stuff like thatonce a week.

Couldn't love it any better !!!!!

Take care,

Stefan

UNFLOYDISH. Love that, Stefan. Thanks for all the nice comments.
Hope y'all are doing well. Things are looking up here. We've been looking down for far too long.

wink

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd
Certainly a departure from your usual sound, but you nailed it. Love the intro and the drums, and what a terrific vocal! Another winner.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon....

Originally Posted By: Phil Babylon
A while since I signed in but your compositions are generally the first I look for. You have a great ability to select the appropriate realtracks for the song. I always love the vocal sound you achieve. Your productions are always very vibrant. Enjoyed it very much.

Phil, good to see you back around. Thanks for having a listen...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi FloyD wow that was a smoking great tune very engaging on all parts of this song very pro sounding love it no doubt, this you would hear on film thanks for sharing Eric

Eric - thanks for having a listen...

Originally Posted By: ROG
Ha, Floyd, it looks like you're a Guns N' Roses fan after all!

I always start by looking at the list of RTs and didn't expect to see Hard Rock Thrash in there, but
I did think we were overdue for one of your heavier offerings. It's annoying that you seem to be as
good at heavy rock as you are at country. smile It makes life hard for the rest of us!

Well, this is just fabulous. The big Tannoys don't get fired up so much these days, but in your honour
I ran this through them LOUD and proud. Absolutely commercial in the very best sense of the word and I can
live with the solo even if it wasn't Slash!

Super vocals and TC worked wonders with the harmonies.
My wife (the Northern Soul girl) said it was "All right" and believe me, that's pretty good - she's
a hard girl to please and not one for the superlatives.

More of this stuff please.

ROG.

ROG - thanks for the nice comments. Good to know that this holds up to scrutiny... and the Tannoys! smile I'm always looking for way to mix it up a little, so I might do more of this in the future...who knows... Thanks! again...

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
This is edgier than anything else that I've heard from you. I love that guitar riff. I assume that that riff is a loop. Is this the modern country sound? (I don't keep up with any trends anymore). Great song!

Thanks Scott. That riff is a loop. There are 4 snippets that repeat throughout the song - those 4 make up the opening. This is a bit edgier than "modern Country" - but that is becoming a wider category thises days...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Floyd,

I've been away for some weeks and what happened? You made a completely different kind of song then I heard before. I had to look twice on your SoundCloud page to verify it was you. You had to warn me this was going to happen!

I can't compete with everyone else's compliments on this forum, so I'll suffice with the following words: Fantastic!
The guitar I heard from the start was amazingly bright, in contrast with your vocals in that first part.
The melody is very energetic and nearly left me sitting exhausted after the last tone. Close to a ledge...

So Floyd, with this song you showed me another side of your musical skills and I liked it.

Keep surprising me!
Hans

Thanks, Hans. Just trying to keep you on your toes. smile

Originally Posted By: vicarn
I'm used to hearing the softer side of you, Floyd.
This is a big piece of work on the hard side. Great sound and effects.
Gets my applause.

Vic

Thanks, Vic...

Originally Posted By: Bawb
Mercy!

Wow Floyd, just ever loving WOW! I listened to this when you first posted it and I'm still trying to find the words. Man this is good. This could easily be a song played in the opening or closing credits of some "high budget / explosions everywhere" action movie! Kind of a "no apologies, you need to fix yourself son" kind of tune. Did I say WOW? You definitely got a real smoker with this one...

Bawb - I really appreciate that!! Now if I could only belt them out like YOU can...THAT would be something....

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This song hit pretty close to home. I think a lot of us can relate to the overall feel and lyrics of this song. It tells a story that a lot of us have experienced and I think some might even be currently experiencing now with the state of the world. Thanks for putting this out there into the world so people feel understood and seen!

Ember - thanks for stopping by and having a listen. Appreciate that...

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Ohh my...
FJ, this is probably the most powerful tune I have heard by you.
I am glad I waited a bit to listen to this casually. I do not know where to start. Did not expect so much drive out of it. Sitting totally hammered smile
Excellent lyrics, composition. Vocals are very, very good. To me personally I think the most interesting was the blend between acoustic and electronic instruments which is so easy to screw up. You done excellent job in fusing genres and instruments! Total blast. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I have missed the bus on this one.
Reminds me of something Credence could have written.
Very gritty and powerful. Most enjoyable.
Rob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Speech to text errors happen...mostly because of this human. I’m time crunched and am not going to let perfection stop action. This is posted on page 6, so more than likely, most will not see it anyway. That being said...

This is me going out on a ledge.

Anyone that starts a post with “Get outta your rut” and ends that post with “Live on the Edge” is trying to get a point across.

Everything is in place production wise, “lyrically” and performance. I can’t disagree with that. I think the overall treatment of the tone and energy of the instruments and sections emphasize the lyrics VERY well. THAT is what it is to have everything working together to do one thing…send a NOT so subtle message.

I’m on page six of the comments and the majority of what I see are comments about the production, the lyric writing, quoting of lyrics...all of the usuals. Within the majority, there is another majority. A great number of the comments are along the lines of “Wow FJ. This sounds nothing like you!”, “This doesn’t sound like any of your other songs, SO much heavier / more angry/ I’m used to your nice-ness / this isn’t a broken heart song (ok, I added that one. smile ) It’s like he’s actually practicing what he preaches both in lyric and in actually doing the song in the first place! And yet...very little mention of that. Doing a song about breaking out of what’s all been done before, by breaking out of what you’ve always done wasn’t lost on me.

It makes me wonder a bit if we are possibly more caught up in the technicalities of writing, production, and delivery of performance; but missing what the whole thing is about. Not every song has to have a strong message; but are we able to recognize it when it does?

There are hints of lyrics members like, appreciate, or are impressed by. TommyAD even picked a line that is his personally philosophy in life. But I really felt as this comment was made by a person who really had some insight about the song, not as pieces, but as unified piece of work.

Quote:
This song hit pretty close to home. I think a lot of us can relate to the overall feel and lyrics of this song. It tells a story that a lot of us have experienced and I think some might even be currently experiencing now with the state of the world. Thanks for putting this out there into the world so people feel understood and seen!

Just some food for thought, I would guess Ember to be one of the younger members of the forum.

I understand not everyone needs to have the philosophy of the song. But it seems to send a message that may have been lost. I feel as though this song is a mirror for the entire forum; that the man who wrote is willing to actively stand in front of himself.

I hope none of what I’m saying comes across as preaching. That’s not my intent. I’m simply stating my personal observation...of which I have been very wrong on before.

Either way, I think this song needed to be made for whoever needs to hear it. If you think “not me” consider another listen. wink

Now I’m going to go give it another listen. smile

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
My oh my. Lot's I could say about this one, been out on that ledge before myself so rather than jump off, I'll say this is one of your best writes, arrangement, production and performances. I truly enjoyed this from start to finish.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TexasFrets
I totally dig it. The first thing I thought when I heard your voice was Johnny Cash--that sort of punk country in your face sound. It's edgy and inspiring. Love it! Great sound, great attitude. I like your lyrics. And thanks for sharing which real tracks you used. It's cool to know the real tracks and what can be made from them.

Todd - thanks for the nice review. Your stuff has really impressed me - so that means a lot...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool tune.... certainly a wee tad different for you. Nice work though. I need to listen to it on cans.... sounds pretty solid so far.

Thanks for stopping by, Herb...

Originally Posted By: Angelomusic
Such power in that song! The guitar is killing it! I definetely see that tune in a movie like The Punisher, the Equalizer or Jack Reacher! Mix is incredible too. Really really an awesome tune!

Thanks so much, Angelo...

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Sorry for getting to this so late. I heard it a couple days ago, and it wasn't doing anything for me. So I figured that was a sign that something was seriously wrong with my ears. sick

Since then, I found a short in my headphones, which explains a lot. crazy

Clearly, this song is outside the expected fj songs, and it does a great job breaking expectations. Vocal effects, angry lyrics, an entirely different attitude.

Works for me now! laugh

David - good to know that the problem came from elsewhere this time smile smile smile
Thanks for taking the time...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ohh my...
FJ, this is probably the most powerful tune I have heard by you.
I am glad I waited a bit to listen to this casually. I do not know where to start. Did not expect so much drive out of it. Sitting totally hammered smile
Excellent lyrics, composition. Vocals are very, very good. To me personally I think the most interesting was the blend between acoustic and electronic instruments which is so easy to screw up. You done excellent job in fusing genres and instruments! Total blast. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha - thanks for the very nice comments. Just thought I'd give the Rock thing a try... glad that it seemed to work for you...
smile

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
I have missed the bus on this one.
Reminds me of something Credence could have written.
Very gritty and powerful. Most enjoyable.
Rob

Rob - thanks for stopping in for a listen. Good to see you back...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
This is me going out on a ledge.

Don't you do that all the time???!!! wink

Quote:

Anyone that starts a post with “Get outta your rut” and ends that post with “Live on the Edge” is trying to get a point across.

Ya think?
smile wink

Quote:

Everything is in place production wise, “lyrically” and performance. I can’t disagree with that. I think the overall treatment of the tone and energy of the instruments and sections emphasize the lyrics VERY well. THAT is what it is to have everything working together to do one thing…send a NOT so subtle message.

Shhhh...don't give it away!!
wink

Quote:

I’m on page six of the comments and the majority of what I see are comments about the production, the lyric writing, quoting of lyrics...all of the usuals. Within the majority, there is another majority. A great number of the comments are along the lines of “Wow FJ. This sounds nothing like you!”, “This doesn’t sound like any of your other songs, SO much heavier / more angry/ I’m used to your nice-ness / this isn’t a broken heart song (ok, I added that one. smile ) It’s like he’s actually practicing what he preaches both in lyric and in actually doing the song in the first place! And yet...very little mention of that. Doing a song about breaking out of what’s all been done before, by breaking out of what you’ve always done wasn’t lost on me.

It makes me wonder a bit if we are possibly more caught up in the technicalities of writing, production, and delivery of performance; but missing what the whole thing is about. Not every song has to have a strong message; but are we able to recognize it when it does?

There are hints of lyrics members like, appreciate, or are impressed by. TommyAD even picked a line that is his personally philosophy in life. But I really felt as this comment was made by a person who really had some insight about the song, not as pieces, but as unified piece of work.

Quote:

Just some food for thought, I would guess Ember to be one of the younger members of the forum.

I understand not everyone needs to have the philosophy of the song. But it seems to send a message that may have been lost. I feel as though this song is a mirror for the entire forum; that the man who wrote is willing to actively stand in front of himself.

Sometimes it just needs to be said, ya know?

Quote:

I hope none of what I’m saying comes across as preaching. That’s not my intent. I’m simply stating my personal observation...of which I have been very wrong on before.

Either way, I think this song needed to be made for whoever needs to hear it. If you think “not me” consider another listen. wink

Now I’m going to go give it another listen. smile

HA!

Caaron - thanks for the great comments!! I realy do appreciate your careful listens - on everything...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
My oh my. Lot's I could say about this one, been out on that ledge before myself so rather than jump off, I'll say this is one of your best writes, arrangement, production and performances. I truly enjoyed this from start to finish.

Thanks, Charlie. I do appreciate that...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,489
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195