Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#627080 12/02/20 01:59 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Greetings fellow music makers one and all!!!

Well... after almost 19 years I’m thinking about retiring my Roland PC-200 MIDI keyboard controller. For the most part because of how the technology has changed since all those years ago. This controller is a real workhorse and did me well for all these years. It’s very bare bones. The only things that can be programed are sixteen channels.

I’ve been looking at the Alesis V49 | 49-Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller which has the drum pads. I’ve been watching reviews on it and for the most part it’s getting a high rating due to its price. That’s pretty important to me because I don’t want to break the bank, especially at this time of year.

My main question is: The unit is USB powered. I use a MIDI sound module (Ketron SD 2) Would I still be able to use it with this keyboard? I’m kinda thinking not because it doesn’t have a MIDI out plug in the back. But I could be wrong seeing as I’m a complete newb when it comes to more modern gear.

Comments would be very much appreciated!

/Bobby

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It would work the same way your Roland PC-200 did. I have two USB powered keyboards and one USB powered drum pads running all of my MIDI, both software and USB connected hardware synths.

If your computer has enough USB inputs then all is well. However if it doesn't be sure to get a powered USB hub:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sabrent-4-Port-USB-3-0-Hub-with-Individual-LED-Lit-Power-Switches-Included-5V-2-5A-Power-Adapter-HB-UMP3/45074514

A non powered USB hub may not work properly.

Good luck.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #627112 12/02/20 04:16 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Mario... thanks so much for the comeback...

The thing that I'm having trouble with is the fact that the keyboard has no 5 pin MIDI out port. I'm just wondering how that will work with the Ketron?

Like I said, I really haven't given much thought or have much knowledge about this newer technology.

/Bobby

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bobby,
I briefly owned Ketron.
If I remember correctly it does not have a USB port only 5 pin Midi in / out
There are "workarounds". For example a 5 pin to USB cable. So in this scenario, you would plug both Keyboard and SD2 to computer. Telling computer that your Keyboard is input and SD2 is output.

However, if you are planning to stick to that module, perhaps it is a good idea to find a keyboard controller that has both, USB and 5 pin connectors. And usually these can be powered with external power supply. So, if you decide just to play, you would be able to do so without connecting to a computer.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi ya...

I guess I'm making things hard on myself by not listing my gear... sorry

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (second gen) interface. The way I'm understanding it, the 5 pin midi to usb cable you speak of is actually a midi interface, is it not? If I am right, and there's a very great chance that I'm not, wouldn't using 2 interfaces at the same time send my computer into a tizzy? As you can tell, I can start to become a royal pain when trying to understand anything at all about cables... sorry smile

Thanks for the comeback... much appreciated!!!

/Bobby

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well,
Then you are all set, and would be able to use Ketron with Alesis controller.
But it will be "computer only" setup if you are ok with that. My understanding is that SD2 was specifically made as a standalone unit.

If your computer has 2 available usb ports than it should fairly straight forward.
You will be connecting single 5 pin cable from Focusrite output to Ketron 5 pin input, and setting Alesis as input and Focusrite as your output for midi. To hear the sounds from Ketron you will connect headphones or speakers directly to SD unit.

Or
To record the audio (not midi) from SD to computer you will need cables: RCA to 1/4 plugs and those will go to your Focusrite inputs from outputs of SD.

--------------------

Try reading about Halion Sonic. It is a software synth that supports GM program changes if you are in this sort of a game. I believe there is a free version of Sonic too., but do not hold me to it. In any case, I would say it is a very (!) reasonable software alternative to SD2 unit some sounds are great, it has a decent choice of standard instruments, Pianos, guitars,strings etc.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a Ketron SD2 that I plug into a MOTU USB to 8 MIDI in/out 5 pin DIN interface.

The SD2 has one of the best General MIDI banks of the modules I've heard and it is an excellent one to listen to BiaB MIDI tracks with.

I have a small Alesis keyboard controller that I use as well.

Both the MOTU and Alesis are plugged into a USB3 MIDI hub which is plugged into a ThinkPad laptop computer.

That works fine for me.

The only problem is that to just play the keyboard I have to open an app that has a MIDI thru channel as it won't access the SD2 without that.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"The SD2 has one of the best General MIDI banks of the modules I've heard"

I would pick Halion any day (or night) over SD2.
I had SD2 for a few weeks, I guess it is ok if you are
Gigging-and-do-not-want-to-drag-laptop-around sort of thing.

SD2 has horrible software to adjust sounds (through MIDI ports!), no USB, needs AC to operate... I can go on. But to give it some credit, it has "ok" sounds for basic use. The biggest problem I see that it is very "outgoing" technology. Once it goes bye-bye, there is no good reason to replace it with same unit.

---
Bobby, regardless of your setup, Sonic 3 SE (light version) is free. And I am pretty sure SE has GM sound bank. Free is a good price to pay. If you feel like trying it, here is Steinberg page:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads/downloads_halion_sonic_se_3.html

My guess, most of the sound "modules" will go software very soon. So this is a good opportunity to take it for a test drive.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm more of a hardware than software synth user. There is more than one right way to make music.

I can mix and match sounds from over a half dozen sound modules, two MIDI keyboards and two hardware samplers in my duo's backing tracks, picking the best sounds for the tune from each source.

Because they all have a latency of about 5ms and have no CPU load they are easy to mix and match in the same MIDI sequence.

My oldest synth module is a Yamaha TX81z. Many of the sounds are dated, but some are stellar and not found on newer modules. Same for the Roland MT-32.

My Yamaha VL70m Physical Modeling synth module can make more expressive emulations of physical instruments than any sample-based sound module I've ever heard.

My XV5050 and SD90 each have thousands of sounds built in. My i3 has an acoustic bass so good you can almost hear the wood.

Plus as computers come and go, my 5pin DIN synths from the 1980s still work. I bought my TX when my Mac had a Motorola CPU, my PC was DOS5, and I used an Atari ST. None of the computers or software of those days still work, my synth modules do.

But if I'm going to just listen to Band-in-a-Box, I'll use the Ketron because as I said, it has a very good General MIDI sound bank.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Notes,
Yes, SD2 is a OK unit. I suggested Sonic as a flexible software alternative and because it is free. Not sure about Sonic SE, but Sonic 3 that I have has many Yamaha patches.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It is MIDI powered but does it have a MIDI out on it? I may have missed you saying it did or didn't. I have an M-Audio Keystation3 and it can run on either USB or external power adapter. It will also output on both USB or MIDI, but not at t eh same time. It's a simple switch accomplished with 2 of the keys. I would also suggest a MIDI thru box if you don't already have one. A 1 in 4 out will allow you to connect 4 sound sources on different channels and just change channel on the controller. Probably much like what you do now.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well... after all this I decided not to get the keyboard. I came to the conclusion that this keyboard really doesn't do much more than my old one, aside from the drum pads which I probably not use very much anyway. Most of my drum tracks are done via software.

So, with the money that I didn't spend getting the keyboard, I put in the difference and I treated myself to a Focusrite 8i6 (3rd gen) audio/midi interface instead. My two old synth modules hooked up to it flawlessly, and so I've got to say that I'm loving it.

/Bobby

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Congrats! You'll love the interface.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,665
Posts735,641
Members38,533
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176