Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I cannot for the life of me record cleanly in Real Band. I have it set to ASIO and I get all this plinky noise instead of acoustic guitar sounds. Is there a comprehensive document that shows how to set this up, with all the settings and whatnot? Seems like this worked for me last March and now it doesn't. Am starting to remember why I haven't touched this in all that time.

On top of the lousy sound, I am also getting latency which sounds almost like slap-back delay, but way more annoying.

I am using a regular microphone through a Scarlet 1818 digital station. I am trying to use a headphone too.

On top of all that, one more question. Can you listen to the effects patches as you record, or are those only applied after the recording is done?

Thanks.

Michael

Last edited by goofeyfoot; 01/09/21 04:26 PM.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core Processor. 3.79 GHZ; RAM = 32.00 GB; 64 Bit Operating System; Windows 10; Focusrite 8i18 External Card; Real Band; Band in a Box; Coyote Forte Wave Table; Oxygen 49 MIDI Controller
Expert
Online Content
Expert
what are you trying to record? are you trying to record a guitar with a mic or are you using a guitar with a pickup? is the sound you are wanting to record coming back to you through speakers or headphones?

if you are using a mic are you getting the sound from the speakers rerecorded causing the slapback?

i record in RB with vocals and a guitar and although i use a different interface maybe i can help if you give some more details.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
goofy. happynewyear.
there are loads of vids on you tube showing how to set up a pc with different sound interfaces.
focusrite have a bunch of them.
also peruse the faq's/help/vids on this pg site.
in the rb manual also it shows how to select drivers etc etc.
also your sound interface manual.

THERE ARE 3 MAIN AREAS TO ADDRESS FOR SUCCESS.
1. windows playback and record dialogs. set your interface to default.
2. realband audio driver preferences. where you select your interface, as default.
3. the applet of your chosen sound interface. with its own settings.

so, in order for pg users like myself to help you.
please do a post showing your settings in THE ABOVE 3 AREAS.

best.
goodnessdontyoujustlovetech muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/10/21 02:34 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
How do you paste an image in? I paste and nothing shows in the reply.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core Processor. 3.79 GHZ; RAM = 32.00 GB; 64 Bit Operating System; Windows 10; Focusrite 8i18 External Card; Real Band; Band in a Box; Coyote Forte Wave Table; Oxygen 49 MIDI Controller
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Supposedly added a file. Doubt this works. Don't see anything.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screen2.png (469.77 KB, 79 downloads)

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Here is more information. Division by zero. Now, a math problem!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2.pdf (334.44 KB, 12 downloads)

Expert
Online Content
Expert
are you using the focusrite ASIO driver with your interface and not ASIO$ALL? still would like to know what you are trying to record - guitar? mic or DI? and how you are listening to it.

the ASIO driver control panel lists inputs and outputs are they set to the Focusrite for in and out?

if your interface works like mine - they are all similar - the signal in should record and you should be able to hear the backing and the input through phones connected to the focusrite - i think one of the knobs controls the mix

once we know the basics are ok you can play with buffer sizes

Last edited by Bob Calver; 01/10/21 07:23 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
I see your screenshot and the PDF link, not sure why you don't.

In your preferences screen I see you have both of the IM checkboxes enabled in the upper right of your Audio-Prefs window (the second window back).

If you don't have a specific reason to have these enabled, I'd suggest disabling those two checkboxes.

It adds a bit of 'real-time' processing load to your system.
I can use the feature here (so may not be the problem), but I only enable it when needed.
It's one of the first things I would try as a troubleshooting effort.

These Input Monitoring & Enable IM effects features cause the computer to try to implement FX plugins in real-time on whatever audio you are recording, and provide that signal back to you in the monitors in 'real-time'. So this can be a big load on some systems, and may affect performance/results.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I unchecked those items. I can't even get the thing to start with the so-called default settings.

Screenshot (2).png (376.63 KB, 65 downloads)
Screenshot (3).png (364.36 KB, 65 downloads)

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Seems like I might have this working, though I don't know what I did specifically. Picture attached of new settings.

Tried reverb and yes it works in recording, but I can't hear it WHILE recording. Is there a cure for that?

Thanks.

Michael

Screenshot (5).png (465.97 KB, 59 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
In your screen shot, it implies you would have the opposite happening. (see image below)
Enable Input Monitoring should allow you to 'hear' the effects while you record the track.
You have that enabled.
The Record IM effects option allows you to record the effects you are hearing (but it writes it to the track audio data so it can't be changed later).

You seem to be saying the opposite is happening. You record it, hear it on playback, but don't hear it live.

Looking at your settings, you should be hearing it live, but not recording it.
Or am I missing something?

IM_Recording.jpg (6.91 KB, 65 downloads)

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
goofy.
as i have vision probs i cant see your rb settings well.
but we still need to see your win record and playback settings,
i looked on the focusrite site. it seems there is an applet called F notifier. where you set sample rates etc.
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

maybe this doesnt apply to your particular focusrite ?, dunno.
please confirm your model of focusrite.
i cant find at focusrite (per your first post)
Scarlet 1818 digital station.
do you mean 18i8 ? model ? like this ?
https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-18i8

you might have a mismatch between the sample rate set in the focusrite and rb and/or windows.
eg if you want 16 bit 44.1k try this TEST.
set up win AND rb AND focusrite are set to the same 16 bit 44.1k.
if you DO have notifier post a pic/settings.
its a large F on your taskbar.

muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/10/21 09:56 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I dont hear it live.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Set all t0 44.1. Same result

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
goofy.
the only way to solve your problems is to take a logical step by step troubleshooting approach.
so, is your focusrite an 18i8 model ? i asked before, but you didnt reply.
this one ?
https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-18i8
then i can look the tech details up.
IT SEEMS THERE ARE SEVERAL GENERATIONS 3 OF 18i8.
which is yours ? first ?

now the next is important. forget realband for a moment.
hook up headphones to the focusrite , and play any windows song or media file.
eg mp3 or wav. DO YOU HEAR THE SONG IN YOUR PHONES ?
AND DO YOU HEAR THE SONG IN YOUR SPEAKERS ?
AND DO YOU HAVE ANY FOCUSRITE APPLET in your taskbar ?
for setting of sample rates ?
ill check tomorrow for your reply.
muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/10/21 03:22 PM.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
It is 1818 third generation.
If I play a video on the computer, yes, I hear it in the headphones or the speakers or whichever one I want.
And yes, I have that Focusrite thing in my taskbar. It says 44100 sample rate. Buffer size 192 clock source internal. Clock status "synced."

Thanks.

Michael

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
goofy.
ok ive looked deeply at the focusrite help/vids on the focusrite site.
my problem is there are many different settings.
the 18i8 is an advanced interface.
there are set up videos on the focusrite site for different daws eg cubase , reaper, fruity etc etc but not rband.
there are also vids on setting up the control app on you tube.
the only thing i can advise as i dont have lots of time , is, as follows. and to save going round in circles;

if rharv would be good enough to post his settings in windows, rb, and the focusrite control applet, and thus you try the same settings ?.
otherwise i would contact focusrite support, and pg support.

goofy, you have an excellent pc rated by cpubenchmark.net on the ryzen processor at 32000. brilliant ! a high end processor. are you useing ssd's ?

question .
1. how fast does your system boot from cold into windows desktop ? should be very fast.
2. have you run any other daws useing the focusrite ? eg cubase, reaper, mixcraft, pro tools ?
have you done that ? do any work fine ?

sorry , but i just dont want to put you wrong with settings. as there are many, and i feel you need help from people with lots of expertise in the focusrite and its set up.
it IS a very nice interface.

muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/11/21 01:52 AM.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yes I use solid states.

The computer boots up fine.

I don’t use any other tools.

I should probably update the state of affairs.

I have the thing up and running and recording now. I don’t even know what I did to make it happen. All of a sudden it started working.

The two checkboxes that were an issue above still remain sort of an issue. I have the one box checked so that I can actually hear what I’m doing. Other box is blank. However, normally I can’t hear the effects I’m trying to use while I’m recording. I find that to be a real pain because I’m trying to play what I’m hearing and if I’m hearing a dry washed out signal, it’s pretty hard to focus on what I’m doing.

I’m not sure, but I might have a workaround to this issue. On that list of effects there’s something called input track. If you put effects on that, it seems like you can hear the effects you’re going to use (sort of) that way. Not sure if I’m doing this correctly but I need to hear the effects while I’m recording.

Thanks.

Michael

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
goofy.
sometimes running tests useing different buffer settings in an interfaces applet, in your case, focusrite applet, might help with any perceived lag etc.
also i notice , via the focusrite vids , one vid showed a guitar input being sent to a set of speakers. there are various routing / monitoring settings it seems on that focusrite. i would go carefully thru all focusrite/you tube vids. lots of things to absorb.

sometimes on interfaces one has to try different direct monitoring settings.
for example on my previous interface i could vary in my headphones how much stereo daw mix i could hear back versus how much guitar input i heard as i was recording guitar on a new trak.
ergo i would look carefully at your direct monitoring options/settings on that focusrite.

i know exactly what you mean, you want some fx going in on the guitar as you record it.
regarding that, and before sound interfaces got fancy, i had a method i used to use.
i would lay down a scratch dry guitar trak, then add fx to it.
THEN on the next pass recording the final guitar trak , the first one with fx i found energised me playing back.
maybe try this idea ?

i notice over the years, in realband some peoples audio interfaces seem to work well.
while others. people post some issue or other. its often finding the correct settings.
which is why, if you peruse various daw recording forums you will see pinned threads identifying sound interfaces that work well with particular music software.
THUS i think its about time that there was a RB thread on the RB forum where people can post their
sound asio interfaces that work with RB well.
i'll start one up now. hopefully various RB users will contribute.

muso.
ps you might want to check your useing latest focusrite driver. cos when i was reading up, one feature they updated
with a new driver release.
if you have time in rb, as i'm looking to upgrade myself to maybe a ryzen , in rb action>>test audio performance,
how many traks reported ? with that fab ryzen of yours should be huge number.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/11/21 04:35 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
To use realtime effects you have to use the Input Monitor for the track input.
see image below
(give me a sec)

IM_Record.jpg (95.14 KB, 13 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 01/11/21 12:17 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,638
Posts735,345
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182