Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#638367 01/25/21 04:27 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wild Women

Wild Women (public domain) was recorded in 1924 by Ida Cox -- the uncrowned queen of the blues. This is a departure from the original arrangement and melody but the lyrics are the same - a nearly 100 year old woman's lib statement! Our objective was a 30’s “jump blues” vibe with the piano centric rhythm and bass fiddle along with a bit of a modern sound. This safe link is a very short article about Ida Cox and well worth a minute of your time.
Thanks to PG Music, Peter and, yeah, Janice the Wild Woman smile Lyric below and on SC. Thanks for your time and comments are most welcome!

Note: Artists own all rights to their original interpretations of public domain songs.

Janice: Lead and BGVs
Peter: Guitar solos
Bud: Bass

Vocals: Rodes NT1 mic > Scarlett 212 > Nectar 3

Guitar Solos: What Peter does smile

Bass: An old Kay upright > MXL mic > Waves Bass Rider > Neutron 3

Drums: RealDrums BluesRockShuffle > Waves CLA Drums
Snare: RealDrums BluesRockShuffle > Neutron 3 > 140 EMT plate reverb sim

Guitar Rhythm: RealTrack 421: Electric, Rhythm
Blues Sw 120 > Waves CLA Guitar

Piano: MIDI SuperTracks 1800 Rhythm TexasBluesRockShuffle Sw 130 > Logic Pro Grand Steinway > Logic Pro Direction Mixer > Waves CLA Unplugged

Logic Pro X: vocal recording, mix and mastering

Mastering: Logic EQ > Waves LinMB > Ozone 9 Maximizer > Ozone Tonal Balance 2 > Logic Pro Loudness Meter

Wild Women
© Trad Arr B. Merritt, J. Merritt & P. Fulham

I hear these women raving 'bout their cheatin’ men
About their trifling husbands and their no good friends
These poor women sit around all day and moan
Wondering why their wandering papa's don't come home
But wild women don't worry, wild women don't have no blues

Now when you've got a man, don't never be on the square
'Cause if you do he'll have a woman everywhere
I never was known to treat no one man right
I keep 'em working hard both day and night
'Cause wild women don't worry, wild women don't have their blues

I've got a disposition and a way of my own
When my man starts kicking I let him find another home
I get full of good liquor, walk the streets all night
Go home and put my man out if he don't act right
Wild women don't worry, wild women don't have their blues

You never get nothing by being an angel child
You better change your ways and get real wild
I wanna tell you something, I wouldn't tell you a lie
Wild women are the only kind that really get by
'Cause wild women don't worry, wild women don't have their blues

Janice & Bud #638395 01/26/21 01:37 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi J&B + Peter,

"Wild women don't have no blues" - brilliant.

What fun! Loved the whole feel of the track - very full of
life and humour and sounding like a live band.

All the usual excellent performances from Janice and Peter, but
eclipsed this time by Bud's spectacular upright bass. Just fabulous, Bud.

Great song, great arrangement, great mix.

Wonderful.

ROG.

ROG #638424 01/26/21 05:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi J&B + Peter,

"Wild women don't have no blues" - brilliant.

What fun! Loved the whole feel of the track - very full of
life and humour and sounding like a live band.

All the usual excellent performances from Janice and Peter, but
eclipsed this time by Bud's spectacular upright bass. Just fabulous, Bud.

Great song, great arrangement, great mix.

Wonderful.

ROG.

Thanks for all Rog! Your are too kind regarding the bass. About all I do is thump out the old walking lines I used back in the bluegrass days and all near the nut too. Fingers would need calluses and hands would need a lot of playing to get back in the groove. And too many other things to do but I certainly do appreciate you saying that.

J&B

Janice & Bud #638425 01/26/21 05:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great Collab super vocal love the harmony's peter great job and great bass and mix thanks for sharing Eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
F.M.M. #638452 01/26/21 08:21 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Great Collab super vocal love the harmony's peter great job and great bass and mix thanks for sharing Eric

Thanks for both listening and commenting Eric.

J&B

Janice & Bud #638485 01/26/21 11:18 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Now, is this a terrific song or what??!! I say terrific song without a hesitation.

First, Peter does what he does so danged good! A real musical treasure with a guitar in his hand.

Janice is obviously the main reason the microphone was invented. Love those background voices she slips in.

A philosophical question: in the line, Wild women don't have the blues", is that the same as "Wild women don't haver a conscience"? Just wonder and being silly.

Whoever did that bassline deserves a raise. He's better than really good.

And as always, the mix sits perfectly from left to right, top to bottom and front to rear.

A cool song that's really hot! Take care ...

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Janice & Bud #638489 01/26/21 11:41 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice's vocal = outstanding as usual
Peter's guitar = outstanding as usual
Bud's bass = outstanding = love that walking bass. Bud you should play more often.
Mix = outstanding as usual

This is fantastic. If I heard this in a record store I would buy it on the spot.

You three are fantastic together and pro all the way. Keep those songs coming.

Last edited by MarioD; 01/26/21 11:43 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Janice & Bud #638498 01/26/21 12:50 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
J&B and Peter,
Love the lyrics-timeless attitude!
Not being familiar with the original, I`d say this was written for Janice; a wonderful vocal.
Everything works- great edgy guitar breaks and the drum sound is felt as well as heard.
Fantastic revival work.

Robert

Janice & Bud #638530 01/26/21 03:50 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the music history lesson.

The whole band sounds great - excellent mix, clear and balanced. Everything sounds good, from the lead vocals to that hot guitarist you've got there.

Nice work on that bouncy bass line! The Kay bass sounds a lot better than their cello!

I really enjoyed this - so much I went played several times! It feels like a funhouse ride each time! :

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Janice & Bud #638533 01/26/21 04:09 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, fantastic guitar Peter, yup fabulous vocal performances Janice and wow oh wow a fanmazing capture of the upright bass: it has the punch and thud I'd expect if I were at the front of the stage.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Janice & Bud #638559 01/26/21 11:09 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great job as always, musicmaking at its best. I always enjoy the Bonnie Raitt doppelganger's singing and all the great ear candy around it. Doesn't get any better than this. Thanks!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
Janice & Bud #638571 01/27/21 01:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Listened to this little gem a while back. Love the arrangement and everyone's performance!

Nice to listen again after reading your production notes, especially interested in your drum treatment! Did you actually strip out all the snare hits from the realdrum track? Sounds great BTW.

Janice & Bud #638583 01/27/21 04:14 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You guys have this blues thing together. I enjoyed the song and a good job by everyone.

I do appreciate that you take the time to find these old songs and redo them to give them a new life. Kinda like music historians and restorers.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Janice & Bud #638615 01/27/21 06:42 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a cool song. Engaging right from the start. Lovely vocal Janice. Boy an upright bass. How cool is that. Peters guitar was excellent. Perfect for the song. And as always just loved the mix and production. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Al-David #638637 01/27/21 12:41 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Now, is this a terrific song or what??!! I say terrific song without a hesitation.

First, Peter does what he does so danged good! A real musical treasure with a guitar in his hand.

Janice is obviously the main reason the microphone was invented. Love those background voices she slips in.

A philosophical question: in the line, Wild women don't have the blues", is that the same as "Wild women don't haver a conscience"? Just wonder and being silly.

Whoever did that bassline deserves a raise. He's better than really good.

And as always, the mix sits perfectly from left to right, top to bottom and front to rear.

A cool song that's really hot! Take care ...

Alan

We've said it many times Al -- You are too kind! But we'll take it smile

"A cool song that's really hot" is nice compliment and has hook possibilities!

We appreciate every word of your review and Bud was humbled by your comment on the bass.

Thank you!

J&B

Janice & Bud #638640 01/27/21 01:01 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A FOOT THUMPER FROM THE FIRST BAR. BRILLIANT ALL ROUNDER GUYS

Janice & Bud #638646 01/27/21 01:34 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Fantastic! Everyone was right on the mark. What a great remake of a very old song. Vocals, instrumentation (including BIAB) and the mix, all top notch. Congrats to all of you.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
Janice & Bud #638650 01/27/21 02:23 PM
User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
"You never get nothing by being an angel child
You better change your ways and get real wild"

I love those lyrics... what a good find you did here and it is a nice interpretation of that song.

The lyrics are very much putting words on how I always thought the 20's were... wild life, lots of partying, experimenting, etc. Those years gave us dadaism, surrealism and many more interesting art forms.

I wonder if this century's 20's will be a kind of the same, because we have Cuvid-19 and they had The Spanish Flu in the beginning of the decade... and I think people have been isolated for so long now that we all are desperate to get out and party "wild" smile

Thanks for sharing,
Will

Janice & Bud #638667 01/27/21 03:53 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
What a fabulous interpretation of a great old song. Had me doing a little chair dancing as I listened (several times). Peter sounds right in the zone, Bud's bass is right there with him, and I'll have to get out the thesaurus to try and come up with some new superlatives to describe Janice's singing. Suffice to say the queen of the showcase more than does justice to the uncrowned queen of the blues! (I'd not heard of Ida Cox so enjoyed checking her out, thanks.)
Regards,
Leon

Janice & Bud #638689 01/27/21 08:09 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
well THAT was fun! I think that's the first of your songs in which I got to hear Bud play bass! And the tempo was so good I would never have caught it if Rog hadn't pointed it out in his reply! Just awesome to hear all of you collaborating on this, what great performances all around!

The public domain approach works well for y'all.. you get songs that are well written, have stood the test of time, and there's nobody to sue you when you make your version! Winning!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199