Shadow Dancer

The Band:

Chris Spruit: Piano, Vocals, BGV
Marty Straub: Bass, BGV
Dave Bell: Acoustic and Electric Guitars, BGV

2558:Cello, Background SlowSwing Sw 065

EZDrummer2

Mixed in Reaper, mastered with Ozone9

We will do a video for this song as we do for all of our songs, but probably not in time to update the song description here. The last few videos have all had performance elements which makes them more fun IMHO.

Check out the YouTube link in my signature if interested.

Shadow Dancer (2021, Christiane Spruit)

Waiting to set on, my whole life
those shadows moving, blind

I am running wild
can't cross the line

My eyes are scaling up the sky
kaleidoscoping, wide
The breaking sunlight is giving sight
In our boundaries
we are satellites

Like shadow dancers
born to surrender
trying to live a life within / between the lights
Yearning
that we are all returning
not fading like shadows in the night

All comments welcome!

#640149 - 02/04/21 06:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
very nice Dave! Hats off to the whole team on this one! An easy song to like! Love the vocals! Really all the parts fit together perfectly. The cello real track is a nice addition

#640165 - 02/04/21 07:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SA, Australia
Lyrics, vocals blend well with the track. Quite haunting.

#640176 - 02/04/21 08:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Beautiful vocal. Loved the backtrack and your chord progress. A sense of sadness. Awesome guitar work Dave. Well done

#640180 - 02/04/21 09:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

BlueAttitude never falters. A solid band sound with everyone doing their part - and doing it well.
Marty's bass.
Dave's guitars.
Chris' write, vocals, piano.
The band's BGVs.

Y'all have developed a terrific sound. Consistently good. Always an enjoyable listen. One more cut for the next album...

Good mix.

Nice.

fj

#640198 - 02/04/21 11:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Dave, Chris & Marty, you definitely have kept your high bar intact with this song. The vocal delivers the lyric perfectly. The guitars and bass are played with great expertise as expected. Very well produced. Nicely done, Tom

#640207 - 02/04/21 11:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Dave, Marty & Chris,
A beautifully restrained arrangement that fits the song`s mood... which to my ears begins with a slightly eastern feel and builds into a bluesy spiritual affirmation.
Everything sounds right- no surprise!- another fine fine song from you.

Robert

#640238 - 02/04/21 02:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Dave, Chris and Marty,

A very intriguing song. Just like the title suggests; dark and with tension. I like that.
It is different from a lot of your songs. Not a typical Blues. The 'heavy' sound of the piano in (some) contrast to the beautiful vocals gave it that intriguing sphere.
You never disappoint me with your songs!

Hans

#640249 - 02/04/21 02:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Hello Dave. This is really a great production.
Good choice of the band and the singer is faultless.
Congrats to all involved.
Rob4580

#640266 - 02/04/21 04:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
WOW! This is outstanding. You three make one hell of a band!
Loved this from the git-go. The mix is spot on. The vocal is outstanding as are the guitar parts. Marty's bass fits like a glove and oh so good.

This is definitely a winner and IMHO your best to date.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#640269 - 02/04/21 04:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Blue Attitude

A lovely song, well performed and produced.
Exceptional playing and singing throughout makes it a pleasure to listen to.

Great team effort.

Peter

#640286 - 02/04/21 06:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
jptjptjpt Offline
Expert

Haunting. A very good team effort. A good job to all. Cool lyrics. I like it.

#640343 - 02/05/21 05:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Expert

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Yes, haunting right from that masterful guitar opening. Chris is flawless on so many levels. I particularly enjoy how the song develops from the far corners of the globe in spite of the language differences. It's a great example of music being the International Language. Let's do the video, Dave.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper & Cakewalk

#640365 - 02/05/21 08:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
F.M.M. Offline
Veteran

awesome guys perfect vocal loved it great job all of you really well done thanks Eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#640375 - 02/05/21 08:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: Scott C]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
very nice Dave! Hats off to the whole team on this one! An easy song to like! Love the vocals! Really all the parts fit together perfectly. The cello real track is a nice addition

The cello was a last minute addition, I felt the song needed something to kick the chorus up a notch. Thanks, Pat!

Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Lyrics, vocals blend well with the track. Quite haunting.

Appreciate the listen and comments!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Beautiful vocal. Loved the backtrack and your chord progress. A sense of sadness. Awesome guitar work Dave. Well done

I tried a bunch of different things with the guitar but ended up using the less is more approach. Nice to get a comment like that from a fellow guitarist I respect, thanks, Scott! wink

#640399 - 02/05/21 12:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Belgium
Derochette Offline
Expert

Loc: Belgium
Hi BlueAttitude,

It's really a beautiful composition both in terms of the arrangement and the sublime voice of Christiane Spruit as well as the very engaging lyrics. Very nice demonstration of your talents. I really appreciated.

Kindly regard
Take care of yourself
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

#640473 - 02/05/21 05:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
Absolutely fantastic!

Well done everyone.

moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#640483 - 02/05/21 06:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Really nice - it's immersive like a Pink Floyd song.

I never seem to remember the actual lyrics of your songs, because I'm so caught up on the mood and sound.

It's as much an "experience" as a song. laugh

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#640499 - 02/05/21 07:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Expert

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
BlueAttitude,

Man, what a great vocal—Chris sounds outstanding on this . . . actually the entire production is top notch. Just resonates; totally professional sounding cut. Love the lead guitar work. Brilliant work on this one.

All my best,

Deej

#640526 - 02/06/21 02:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Shadow Dancer [Re: Robertkc]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
BlueAttitude never falters. A solid band sound with everyone doing their part - and doing it well.
Marty's bass.
Dave's guitars.
Chris' write, vocals, piano.
The band's BGVs.

Y'all have developed a terrific sound. Consistently good. Always an enjoyable listen. One more cut for the next album...

Good mix.

Nice.

fj

We have a blast working on these songs together, most fun I have ever had with music including when I used to gig.

Very kind of you floyd, thanks!

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Dave, Chris & Marty, you definitely have kept your high bar intact with this song. The vocal delivers the lyric perfectly. The guitars and bass are played with great expertise as expected. Very well produced. Nicely done, Tom

Appreciate the listen and comments, thanks Tom!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Dave, Marty & Chris,
A beautifully restrained arrangement that fits the song`s mood... which to my ears begins with a slightly eastern feel and builds into a bluesy spiritual affirmation.
Everything sounds right- no surprise!- another fine fine song from you.

Robert

"bluesy spiritual affirmation", I like that! Thanks, Robert wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!
(November 24)

Don't own a Jukebox? Well, if you have Band-in-a-Box®, you actually do with the Jukebox feature!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® songs within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, Harmony Settings, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening.

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual.
Mac Jukebox details found here.

Tell Us Your Favorite Band-in-a-Box Features

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We'd love it if you shared your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we absolutely LOVE getting feedback!

Take a peak at other posts while you're there - you never know... someone else's favorite feature might become yours too!

RealTracks Artist Pat Martino

We are saddened to hear of the passing of jazz guitar legend Pat Martino yesterday.

Pat was part of our RealTracks Artist "Jazz Pollwinners 2" series in 2014. You can learn about Pat and listen to his RealTracks contribution here.

Pat had been playing guitar since he was just 12 years old, and devoted himself to music in grade ten. On top of years of performing (he began playing professionally in 1961), Pat received many awards for his playing, including the "Jazz Legacy" Award in 2016 presented by Pennsylvania State Senator Vincent Hughes and his wife Sheryl Lee Ralph-Hughes.

Learn even more about Pat Martino when you visit his website, http://www.patmartino.com/.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Updates!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 users - a free update is available!

Using a Windows version? Your update resolves some reported bugs involving Song Memo, RealDrums, hot-keys, etc. Learn more & download - Windows.

Running the Mac version? The latest update for version 2021 improves Edit Audio functions, allows you to stop playback when using the StyleMaker, ensures tempo changes are included when exporting MIDI, and more! Learn more & download - Mac.

A Look Back... Band-in-a-Box® 2015 NAMM Demonstration #TBT

Watch Tobin (and Charlie!) demonstrate Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows at the 2015 NAMM Show: Play video...

Tobin does a great job of showing just how easy it is to create a song with Band-in-a-Box!

This video was posted on January 23, 2015 to the Keyboard Instrument Chops and Gear YouTube Channel.

Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Forum Stats
35160 Members
62 Forums
71348 Topics
621841 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
alainjazz59, SWAY, JohnCoombs, DMain, Claudecir Lima

35160 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 273
Pipeline 242