Go To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
TRYUK #629216 12/10/20 10:35 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Y
Just checking in on any progress at all on this over a week later? I had another very frustrating week of teaching with the current BIAB situation. :-(

Yendog #629325 12/10/20 10:04 PM
P
PLS Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: Yendog
Just checking in on any progress at all on this over a week later? I had another very frustrating week of teaching with the current BIAB situation. :-(

+1

TRYUK #629535 12/11/20 07:25 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
We are still working on Big Sur compatibility, as we want the experience to be as smooth as possible. Thank you for your patience.

I work here
Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Y
Thank you for the update... wow wow wow... its been weeks and weeks.. are we even close to having functionality again? :-(

TRYUK #630750 12/16/20 02:14 PM
Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Y
Please.. I BEG BEG BEG you... another infuriating.. frustrating... hair pulling out... cursing day with this program that I use to teach nearly every day... opening it up.. when it will open.. the interface is the opposite of set up for how i would use it... massive fonts... none of my recents and preferences cause i have to delete that folder... i fumble and try to get it useable as my students are paying me 70 dollars and hour to futz around with it... what the heck is going on over there!?!?!

it has been OVER A MONTH since Big Sur was released?

This is SOOOO frustrating...

I just want it to work but it sure would be magnanimous of PG to offer some sort of refund or future credit for long time users like I who have purchased EVERY update and EVERY real track etc... thousands of dollars in total....

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

A month now.... I know you are all good folks and the program is great when its working but a MONTH after the release.. a MONTH.... I apologize for the tone but I am SO FREAKING frustrated that this has not been fixed yet when it is a program that is INTEGRAL to my teaching business...

TRYUK #630764 12/16/20 02:47 PM
TRYUK Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I started this thread when I found the purple problem among others. I can understand the frustration of others, especially those that rely on the program for their livelihood. While I can still do most things it is becoming more irritating by the day to have to fudge things to make it work.

Might I suggest in future PG Music make a post warning people that the software has not been tested on the final release of an OS. This of course is not PG Musics fault, Apple more often than not change things between the final Beta release and the finished OS.

I am, as I am sure other users are hoping, that the problems will at least be sorted by Christmas.

TRYUK #630770 12/16/20 03:17 PM
Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Y
Yes its Apples fault for sure as the programers above stated how the GM was not the same as the release.. but over a MONTH later and really?? The purple is annoying but I'd be happy if it just functioned...

I am EXTREMELY cognizant of not wasting my students time and when I'm wasting their money cause the program still doesn't function like i need it to after over a month of knowing the problems are there... its just mind-blowing. :-(

If I ran a company and a huge portion of my product did not work I wouldn't be able to sleep till it did. I would hope/expect this is the highest priority but I'm starting to doubt it... as its been over a month of this... I'm so frustrated. :-(

Last edited by Yendog; 12/16/20 03:19 PM.
TRYUK #630772 12/16/20 03:21 PM
Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Y
Truthfully I see all these new updates for Windows BIAB coming out.. yay! how exciting for those of us who's program almost literallydoesnt function without a ton of work arounds... I know the Windows version comes out 6 months before the Mac one (I know cause i've purchased literally every update) but if getting the Mac functionality back is not the priority right now I'm greatly disheartened by that.

TRYUK #631147 12/18/20 11:10 AM
C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
C
Just saying, if you didn't know, the competition's programs hit the ground running. They seemed to be all set for the release of Big Sur. You might say, "Then use their program.", well it seems I am forced to, because the program that I paid much more for is not compatible with the latest operating system on Mac.
A suggestion, maybe you guys should ask for help.

CrvsCrx #631177 12/18/20 02:40 PM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
CrvsCrx. merry xmas.
i'm in the process of looking at a cheap refurb mac possibly to add to my win pc set up.
so i have a question .
What IS compatible with big sur right now ?
because looking at sweetwaters compatibility guide of music software, every product on the list is seeming to say check back later on ?

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-11-big-sur-compatibility-guide/
(on above link page down for A to Z product list.)

and i'm also following this big sur thread also .
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1317296-macos-big-sur-version-11-share-your-experiences-7.html

is there a compatibility list somewhere thats always updated daily on what DOES WORK ?
merry xmas.
muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/18/20 02:48 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
justanoldmuso #631186 12/18/20 03:39 PM
C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
C
justanoldmuso. Happy Day. Check the Apple App store. No Band-in-the-Box, what is there works on Mac and Big Sur.

Last edited by CrvsCrx; 12/21/20 10:45 AM.
TRYUK #631592 12/20/20 11:01 PM
P
PLS Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
My 2 cents:

From my limited personal experience (I've only discovered BIAB 2 years ago), BIAB has a solid engine (the bit that generates the music) and a decrepit outdated user interface that feels like it has been patched over and over and that hasn't changed for the past 2 years, not even when it was "converted" to 64 bits. As one of many possible examples, just look at the Preferences. It's a huge mess where even a new Tab named Preferences 2 has been clumsily added to allow for more options.

I'm by no means a software developer but, as a mere user and if I would have to guess, I would say that all the problems we are facing now have to do with the UI alone. If so, maybe another "quick" patch will at least render it fully functional and reliable for now but hopefully, in a not too distant future, we'll get a brand new and shinny UI that BIAB surely deserves.

Meanwhile... my warmest thoughts and best wishes for a wonderful Holiday and a Happy New Year!

TRYUK #631865 12/22/20 08:03 AM
J
JFW Offline
J
Hello all,

I'm a BIAB hobbyist since 2005/6 on Windows; switched over to various other products but new to using BIAB on Mac since 2019. I'm also interested in this thread and have experienced various issues (eg. pink halo effect), but I'm wondering if anyone is experiencing the following:

- load/open a song (purposefully picked a bare bones one from 1995-2000) which still works on my old Windows XP perfectly fine. Worked fine in BIAB MacOS X pre-November 12th too.
- click on "Lead Sheet" icon/view; normally displays the lead sheet w/ the soloist's notes that you can follow along with.
- Post Big Sur update, the Lead Sheet window opens w/ a navigation bar, but no content. Can't close the window, minimize, nothing. BIAB isn't quite frozen....I can shut the entire app down.
- now I just "avoid" doing certain things I normally would do. This happens on EVERY song (new or old) but just in BIAB MaxOS v11.x.

- pretty sad that I have to go back to my old Windows XP 2005 version to view the Lead Sheet (export the PDF) so I have a copy of the music.

I'm familiar w/ software development in the open source world. Q. Is there a PG Music Bug Tracking site where users can submit issues & details like this? Get a trouble ticket # and then be able to follow the progress of said issues.

My concern is that not all the issues (or the least popular/critical ones) aren't being looked into, and after having to wait over a month for a fix, it would be even more frustrating to realize the fix/patch didn't resolve your specific issue.

Hoping someone at PG Music can provide more details on what issues are being worked on. (maybe a draft release notes). BIAB still has a strong & dedicated customer base, and we'd all luv to see a more stable product, but not knowing whats being worked on or the progress of issues is really frustrating newbies and veterans alike.

Last edited by JFW; 12/22/20 08:04 AM.
JFW #631876 12/22/20 09:03 AM
C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
C
All of the above... BIAB is pretty much a useless toy on my Mac at this time. Have had to look elsewhere for software and am discovering that there are some pretty good alternatives for my needs.

CrvsCrx #631879 12/22/20 09:16 AM
TRYUK Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
"there are some pretty good alternatives"

Such as?

TRYUK #631880 12/22/20 09:23 AM
TRYUK Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
JFW - "Post Big Sur update, the Lead Sheet window opens w/ a navigation bar, but no content."

I have the same issue, but it is a feature that I rarely use to be honest.

On installing the latest update I still see the flash of purple when I initially open BiaB for the first time in the Title window. Clicking on it clears it but I still see a slight outline in purple on the left side. This is no big deal as it does not seem to have any impact on general use as far as I can see.

The latest update seems to have fixed one problem I had, that I don't recall anyone else mentioning. Prior to the latest update opening File | Open song, the window scrolled well off to the right hand side and there was no way to reduce the size. All fixed noe.

TRYUK #631883 12/22/20 09:40 AM
C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
C
"...alternatives for my needs."

I just need a device to produce backing tracks for my practice. I like to play with real musicians when possible. I use iReal Pro, Jazz Play-Along by MTH, free on the Apple app store for IOS, and with $20.00 you can have all of the in-app add-ons which include 1300+ jazz standards and a be-bop collection. They have A.I. instrumentalists which I think sound great. I did use BIAB for acoustic sounds until recently.

JFW #631895 12/22/20 11:01 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

Band-in-a-Box is not currently compatible with Big Sur. The main issues are:

- Notation window and Lead sheet window do not work.
- Crash at bootup on some systems.
- Purple color on some toolbar and mixer elements.

These issues are not trivial, so unfortunately there is not a "quick fix" that I can give you right now. We realize that it's frustrating. We will work out these issues, but don't have an ETA at the moment.

If you have been a mac user for a long time you'll know that Apple does this every so often, and the changes affect some programs more than others, as various development tool are deprecated and replaced with other tools and methods.... it's just how it is on the Mac. It is a beautiful OS though.

It is unfortunate that (with the exception of the purple color, which at least didn't affect basic functionality), these problems were not present in the Big Sur beta.

Edit - FYI one useful thing to know is that you can clone your Mac hard drive (e.g. using a program like Carbon Copy Cloner) onto an external USB hard drive, and then install a new OS onto that HD. You can then use System Preferences --> Startup disk to bootup in either OS.

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 12/22/20 11:10 AM.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
TRYUK #631993 12/22/20 10:35 PM
TRYUK Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I recall when Apple released Catalina. So much software did not work for months. Every program I used back then that needed Native Instruments as a base just died completely. This was all down to Apple making changes between the Beta and final release. There are many sites out there that list software that is still not compatible with Big Sur, so it is unfair to blame PG Music for the problems. They always have got BiaB back up and running as soon as they possibly could.

While a few on the forum are throwing the toys out of the pram I for one appreciate the effort PG Music put in to BiaB. As Andrew said, Mac OS is a beautiful operating system. BiaB does pretty much everything I want it to right now, so I can wait for the few things that are causing headaches to be fixed.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

TRYUK #632001 12/23/20 12:38 AM
P
PLS Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: TRYUK
so it is unfair to blame PG Music for the problems.

I haven't seen anyone blaming PG Music for the problems in the forums so far.

What I have seen is many users (me included) kindly asking PG Music to solve those problems.

Remarkably (as it is not that common in the software industry) both Simon and Andrew have been kind enough to provide useful information, like workarounds, and to express their commitment in fixing the current issues as fast as possible.

While nice to have this reassurance, for the affected users the situation is still far from ideal which is why I find it useful for people to keep stepping by this thread not only to check on the news but also to drop some motivational words.

On the other hand, I find that blaming Apple (or using it as an excuse) for this kind of situation is as unfair as blaming PG Music.

Every new iteration of any OS is meant to bring new functionalities, more stability and better safety or, to put it in a word: progress.

This should translate as a better platform for software developers to do their thing and for us users to enjoy a more rewarding experience when using the product of their labour.

That every new OS patch or version can bring unforeseen problems (sometimes even chaotic) is widely known by both devs and users but that's just the name of the game.

The fact remains that Operating Systems are the platforms on which software developers choose to place their products, not the other way around.

That's why we don't see Apple or Microsoft announcing that their OS' run on BIAB, but we do see PG Music stating that their software runs on MacOS and Windows.

And that's also why software devs, unfair as it may sound, have to keep chasing after whatever challenges each new OS version brings.

Well, it looks like we won't be getting a BIAB patch for Christmas so better hurry asking Santa for something else...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,348
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213