Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#642445 - 02/16/21 10:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Loved this Greg. Definitely hits home. Super vocal and lyric. Guitar was very cool. Well done

#642507 - 02/16/21 05:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: firesong]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: firesong
Greg what a beautiful piece of music...Being both a father and a son this is such a tender reminder of how special it is to be both of those...and like many my father is viewing things from there...perfect marriage of a universal and well loved subject with the crying guitar solo and piano...it's hard to hear piano songs anymore and they're the best...loved it...thanks Dan

PS...The most profound things are said in simple common words and concepts and you have woven together some beautiful and profound phrases...the music is good but the lyrics excel...great songs are also great poetry...when the lyrics can stand without the melody you have a great song.

Thanks so much Dan! Have heard a few really great tunes from you recently!! Take care. Greg

#642508 - 02/16/21 05:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: dcuny]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Really touching. A good pop write, too - as Dan wrote, personal but universal.

The vocals and crunchy lead guitar make a good contrast with hazy synth and strings.

No need to hurry on to a different sort of song. Just keep writing excellent music like this! laugh

Thanks so much David! We should get together for a beer some time after the Covid craziness ends! Take care. Greg

#642509 - 02/16/21 05:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: vicarn]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: vicarn
Greg.
I can relate to this.
It's a fine piece and lovely tribute.

Vic

Thanks so much Vic! Much appreciated!! Take care. Greg

#642510 - 02/16/21 05:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: Will Josef]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi Greg,

Being someone that also experienced a big loss in recent years I felt the lyrics connected deeply within me. Your song actually brought tears to my eyes.

The great thing about this track is that it might have resonated just as deeply anyway, because it is a magnificent composition... and an outstanding good mix.

I'm so happy that you decided to share it with us...thanks a lot for that!
Will

Thanks Will! Yeah, there's no pain in life that can touch losing someone you love. I'm glad I'm the oldest in my immediate family. Take care. Greg

#642535 - 02/16/21 09:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi Greg
What a beautifully written and performed tribute to your dad.
Regards,
Leon

#642567 - 02/17/21 06:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
No matter what words I can write here, my biggest expression of appreciation can be seen on my face as I listen to your music, Greg. Maybe next time I'll setup a camera and just send you the video. What a beautiful song!! My dad died 26 years ago, but I can't say I ever lost him.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 9

#642708 - 02/17/21 05:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
Beautiful, heartfelt, and poignant. The song is finely crafted and performed.

That last guitar bit at the end is hauntingly perfect for this.

#642710 - 02/17/21 05:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: Greg Johnson]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Greg,
Beautiful and sad tribute - composition. Production is excellent. Listens very well. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#642721 - 02/17/21 09:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: Greg Johnson]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Easy on the ears and with a message easily taken in. Yes, it's a hard relationship to navigate for most of us, I'm betting. Things are well at the moment, but when they weren't I was blessed to have a couple of stand-ins. One I lost last year, leaving me feeling a little lost. Scratch that--leaving me feeling damn near orphaned.

But the end is not yet. That (and this song) bring that calm assurance to me. Really nice.
BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#642794 - 02/18/21 01:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Having lost both of our mothers over the last few years we can certainly relate
to this very moving tribute.

Well done Greg ... in all aspects.

J&B

#643132 - 02/20/21 02:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: rayc]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rayc
Very well done - the whole piece communicates very, very well.
I was a bit put off by the guitar solo but I do understand it's a very expressive instrument and it takes that role on quite well within this song.

Thanks so much Ray! I just love Brent Mason's melodic playing so I put in a solo from him in most of my songs! Take care. Greg

#643133 - 02/20/21 02:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: MarioD]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Thanx Greg for putting a few tears in these old eyes. I lost my dad 21 years ago and I still think about him to this day. This lyric "What I remember now is nothing but the good
The finest moments that we had" really hit home.

Outstanding tribute to your dad.

Everything about his one is top shelf!

Thanks Mario! Really appreciate your kind words and glad the song touched you! You've been putting up some great stuff!! Take care. Greg

#643134 - 02/20/21 02:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: Robertkc]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Greg,
Perhaps the wait of a few years after your loss brought in the beautifully expressed universal perspective to the hurt expressed in your fine tribute.
This is an excellent write and a gently emotional vocal. Simplicity is all that`s required in the arrangement and it works well.
(While listening I found the synth slightly distracted from your vocal in a few places- its probably the close frequency match).

Robert

Thanks Robert! Yeah, it is a bit tricky to get the warmth and power of a pad without it becoming unruly at times. Take care. Greg

#643135 - 02/20/21 02:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: jptjptjpt]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
What a lovely composition. I love the piano. I'll have to look that one up (I purchased BIAB 2021 - at long last). Great rich vocals. Lyrics tell a great story. Well done. Congrats. Thank the band for me too.

Thanks for listening and taking time to comment! I appreciate it very much!! Take care. Greg

#643136 - 02/20/21 02:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: floyd jane]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Greg,

Not sure one could tug at the heart strings any harder.

Stunning songwriting.

A truly heart-felt vocal.

Beautiful backing. Excellent mix.

As Good As It Gets.

You are a pro.

fj

Thanks so much my friend! High praise from you is always very much appreciated!! Take care. Greg

#643261 - 02/21/21 11:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
Beautify written and performed.

Quite a touching expression of your feelings.

Very well done.

moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#643352 - 02/21/21 06:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: The View From There [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Chicago and Twin Cities
ChicagoBob Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Chicago and Twin Cities
Probably not an easy song to write. I think song writing is one of the most vulnerable things we do. I think everyone can relate to this song. I liked the lyrics a lot and especially the line When you take in the view from there. The instruments were right on and the lead guitar was used really well. Thanks for sharing this

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
How to: Using the Copy/Paste Functions and Copy Multiple Tracks in RealBand

Here is a video on a customer requested topic that goes over how to copy and paste both a single track as well as multiple tracks at once, in RealBand.

Video: How to use the Copy/Paste Functions and Copy Multiple Tracks

How to: Select Styles, RealTracks, and MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box®

Here's a brief overview video explaining how Styles, RealTracks, MIDI tracks, and MIDI SuperTracks function in Band-in-a-Box®, and how to select them in your project. Please let us know if you have any questions!

How to Select Styles, RealTracks, and MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box®

How to: Associating Song Files with Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Our Tips & Tricks videos are great for quickly learning a feature within Band-in-a-Box®!

Did you know you can you can associate song files so that they open up directly in Band-in-a-Box®? Chantelle explains how in one of our latest videos, Associating Song Files with Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

The Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac Ends Sunday, July 31st!

There's still some time left to save up to 50% on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac upgrades and receive a FREE Bonus PAK, but only if you place your order before 11:59pm PDT Sunday, July 31, 2022!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. Need help deciding? Let us know - we're here to help!

Learn more about the new features added to Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac.

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Review

A 5-STAR reveiew - wow!

Read what Sound-Guy (Dennis) has to say about Band-in-a-Box® 2022 with their latest review, Review: Band-in-a-Box 2022.

"Band in a Box continues to evolve as an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to compose, arrange and mix songs."
-Dennis J Wilkins

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows is eXtra Ready!

We've made Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows eXtra Ready!

Thinking of adding the new XPro Styles PAK 3 and Xtra Styles PAK 13 to your Band-in-a-Box 2022 for Windows? Download the latest program update, which adds support for these new Add-ons!

Oh, and the XPro Styles PAKs and Xtra Styles PAKs are ON SALE until July 31st... save up to 40%!

Learn more, listen to demos, and purchase:
XPro Styles PAKs
Xtra Styles PAKs

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac - Special EXTENDED to July 31st!

Great news! We've extended our Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac special until July 31st!

Order during our special and save up to 50% on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac upgrades and receive a FREE Bonus PAK!

Purchase your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 during our special and add over 50 new features and a FREE Bonus PAK! We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2022 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Bonus RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks Set 35: All Guitar, Instrumental Studies Set 17: Classic Country Guitar Soloing, Artist Performance Set 12: Songs with Vocal Volume 2, RealDrums Stems Set 2, and Look Ma! More MIDI 8) upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in these packages, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. Need help deciding? Let us know - we're here to help!

Forum Stats
36376 Members
64 Forums
75299 Topics
662147 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
hrkmomma@gmail.c, DaveMusic88, Seabeast, CraigJenner, GIBAR

36376 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 183
AudioTrack 180