Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#643266 02/21/21 09:31 AM
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
B
OP Offline
B
Hey everyone - I'm still a BIAB beginner here.

I play through my pc using TH-U and use an audio interface. I got BIAB for xmas and it's a great piece of software, other than desperately needing a lot of time with a half-decent interface design team...

But I had one goal with it - I've got a simple chord progression, which I've written some lyrics for. I wanted to work on this by setting a band off on a loop and then playing along with it. I think that it'd help me to find the right tempo and timing, and try out some different styles.

I can start the band on a loop with a chord progression but I can't work out how to hear my guitar at the same time.

In a DAW, it's easy enough - just open an instrument track, set it to the input from my audio interface and turn on input monitoring. Do the same for a drum patterns and I can play along.

I thought it would be the similar for BIAB as well, but I can't seem to work out what I need to do. I've read the manual but nothing seemed to cover how to hear yourself live.

As a follow up question, TH-U has a VST plug-in and I want to use this when I play. BIAB has VST support and I can load the plug-in fine. But I can only seem to be able to apply to an existing track. I can't hear my guitar through it live.

Is this possible?

Be really grateful for any light that anyone can shed.

Last edited by Book Lung; 02/21/21 09:32 AM.

----
Keep jammin!

Derrek R.
Book Lung #643482 02/22/21 10:16 AM
Veteran
Veteran
For other forum members, +++ TH-U +++ is an amplifier simulator application by Overloud.

Book Lung,

Band-in-a-Box does not offer direct monitoring. Direct monitoring is the ability to playback your guitar audio and Band-in-a-Box generated audio in real time.

What are you using to get your guitar signal into your computer and into TH-U or Band-in-a-Box?

To hear both your guitar audio and Band-in-a-Box audio in real time you will need an external hardware device such as an audio interface or mixer.

In either case the external device must be capable of receiving the stereo (two channel) output of your computer and the mono (one channel) output of your guitar.

The external hardware device will also need to offer input monitoring. Input monitoring is the ability to playback the audio from both computer and external (keyboard, guitar, bass or microphone) devices at the same time.

Many audio interfaces include a headphone jack where you can hear the audio from the computer, your guitar or both. It takes time for audio to go from your guitar, through the audio interface and then through the computer. That's called latency. Audio interfaces delay the guitar audio so it matches the computer audio.

If you use a mixer the computer audio and guitar audio arrive at the same time so there is no time delay. But any guitar audio you record will be late compared to the computer audio.

You can create your song in Band-in-a-Box, export the tracks as AIF files. Import the tracks into GarageBand and playback the BiaB tracks while you record your guitar.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Book Lung #643507 02/22/21 12:46 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Realband allows Input Monitoring as long as you have an ASIO driver.
You have it with included with BiaB if you want to explore it.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Book Lung #643549 02/22/21 02:50 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the advice. Seems like a major oversight to include this in Realband but not BIAB. But duly noted, I haven't delved into Realband.

Quite the learning curve - I'm sure I'll have more questions to come.

----
Keep jammin!

Derrek R.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199