Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#643790 02/24/21 08:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Everything Fades In The End

I haven't posted any new songs for a quite some time, because I've been stuck with this song. Originally I wrote the chorus already over two years ago. The lyrics of the chorus were partly based on words of a terminal care worker about dying. But I had only some vague ideas for the verses and because I felt the chorus was one of the best things I have written, I couldn't touch it until I have something equally good... but nothing happened.. Then at the start of this year I decided to finish it by force, just to get back to songwriting and then go on with other songs. But it wasn't that easy, lyrics just didn't pour out. Maybe my brain is just too old or I'm trying too much to reach perfection by overthinking each word for many days...

I was hoping to write verses with simple chord progression and simple lyrics, but I just couldn't, not my style wink Finally I got finished something I was partly satisfied. Ideas are still not very clear, but at least I have a half-finished song I can work on later if the true inspiration finally strikes. But I can promise that the next song will be a lighter one smile

I used the style _FLYHIGH.STY (Fly High Ethereal Country Ballad) as the basis of the arrangement, it sounds really great, great combination of instruments and fits the mood of my vision perfectly. I added several other instruments, especially the solo guitarist is another fantastic RT.

RealDrums:NashvilleEven16^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat
366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
1602:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16 Ev16 065
3159:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm AmericanaSlow16thsBrentFX Ev16 060
3344:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HazyBallad ev16 070

Additional RTs:
3196:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopBalladBrent Ev 065
2953: Strings, Rhythm JazzBalladPads Sw060 (Held)
3064: Vocal Oohs, Rhythm Pop3-part Ev 085
2540: Pedal Steel, Background ModernCountryDream 16ths

Vocals by me

Mixed in Cakewalk by BandLab

Lyrics:

A flower beautiful
shadows others at its base
they all reach for the light
time of noble right
to feel precious for a day
in the shimmering of grace.
The fragile stem of hope
can't stand the weight of gloom
many numb the ache and
many let it break
everyone gets pruned
the most exposed are those who bloom.

Everything fades in the end
peacefully withers
finally to ease from all
the worldly torment
it's a solemn moment
when the total silence falls.

Noisy shivery
is the first dawn of the cry
few are bubbly birds
most are hardly heard
accept the role of lullabies
the final feeble sigh.
The fetters of the flesh
won't give a cheerful choice
escapist's serenade
shake shackles in the shade
any jingle with some joy
has the reaper's vintage voice.

Everything fades...

The light of the lantern doesn't glow
no ashes in the blow
no sorrow in the snow
just infinity is present
the absence has no end
passed the school of life
promoted to relent.

Everything fades...

Suffering shapes a hardy shriveled plant
prepares to face the time engulfing barren stream of sand
rewards the struggle with a void to strand.
------
Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice minor-tinged verse, really nice harmony on the chorus. The arrangement works well, including the guitar solo at the end. Nice match between the lyrics and the melody.

Good write as well! I'm glad you got it to a point where you can release it - it's a good song. As you said, now it's just a matter of refinement. Or you can just leave it "As Is" and move on. wink

Small nit: There's a voice at 4:23 that's probably not supposed to be there.

You said you'd written the chorus two years. This reminds me very much of a lyric I'd written 20 years ago that I could never work out in a way I was happy with. Maybe - like you - I can revisit it and come up with something that works!

Good work! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janne,

I'm glad you are back in the forum with your new song. A very nice and -in a way- reflective song.

"just infinity is present
the absence has no end"

So nicely said, but also a bit desperate...
I'd rather think we're the ones that fade away, but hopefully we'll leave something tangible behind (?)
But I agree that the chorus is the strongest part in your song, not for the lyrics, but for the melody and performance.
Very good!
Your struggle with this song was (a tiny bit) comparable with my lyrics about 'Emily', although it took me a much shorter time to complete the song.

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne glad to hear from you. This is an excellent song. Super vocal loved the chord progressions. Well done..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
It's always fun to hear about what goes into a new song. The writing on this one was very poetic and had rich imagery. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good to see you with a new song, Janne!

Good writing and I loved the changes and groove.

Nice!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice minor-tinged verse, really nice harmony on the chorus. The arrangement works well, including the guitar solo at the end. Nice match between the lyrics and the melody.

Good write as well! I'm glad you got it to a point where you can release it - it's a good song. As you said, now it's just a matter of refinement. Or you can just leave it "As Is" and move on. wink

Small nit: There's a voice at 4:23 that's probably not supposed to be there.

You said you'd written the chorus two years. This reminds me very much of a lyric I'd written 20 years ago that I could never work out in a way I was happy with. Maybe - like you - I can revisit it and come up with something that works!

Good work! laugh

Thanks Dave for your generous feedback smile I'm glad to hear that the elements of the song worked for you and that I can move on laugh

I couldn't find the voice you mentioned, maybe it is too high for my hearing. Or probably it is just my bad accent.

I recommend you to try to work with the 20 year old lyric, couple of intensive days of thinking may wake up your inspiration. If not, then you can forget it for another 20 years smile Well, in my case the problem was that I couldn't connect with the feeling I had two years ago (also my original vision was mixed with the words of another person affected the lost feeling).

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G
Vaer hilset Janne
I very much enjoyed listening to your song.
I would agree with your self assessment of overthinking the verse. IMO it needs less words and less melody which would provide the Ying and Yang to make that wonderful chorus really stand out. To quote Enzo Ferrari "you pay for the engine, the rest you get for free". Of course Enzo was talking cars but even such music giants as John Lennon followed this philosophy. Methinks that I am not suggesting anything that you don't know already.
Med venlig hilsen.
Gary.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting and creative lyrics, all wrapped in a haunting melody.

Well done.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne,
Good to hear from you!
I see what you said about choruses. They are indeed special.
Perhaps you overthinked verses a little? I mean, do not get me wrong. Personally I think your lyrics are one of your best.
Especially things like:

"escapist's serenade
shake shackles in the shade"

"everyone gets pruned
the most exposed are those who bloom."

Only once I had a tune that I could not finish for a year+. I tried many variants of lyrics and style approaches. I finally forced finished it, so I think I know in part how you feel now:)
Leave options open, perhaps one day it will come to you in different form and you decide to re-do it. Still, solid music composition and vocals. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Oh, you are so right, Janne. That chorus is terrific. You did a great job matching it to fine verses. The lyrics are quite special. So well done. Sometimes when things cook this long, they don't taste as well, but you managed to bring out the best flavor.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Janne,

I'm glad you are back in the forum with your new song. A very nice and -in a way- reflective song.

"just infinity is present
the absence has no end"

So nicely said, but also a bit desperate...
I'd rather think we're the ones that fade away, but hopefully we'll leave something tangible behind (?)
But I agree that the chorus is the strongest part in your song, not for the lyrics, but for the melody and performance.
Very good!
Your struggle with this song was (a tiny bit) comparable with my lyrics about 'Emily', although it took me a much shorter time to complete the song.

Hans

Thanks Hans for your kind words smile And thanks for quoting that part, it contains the cruelest emotion of the song - I think most of us have had that feeling many times - that you'll (or someone dear) be non-existing to the end of time and beyond. It may not be true, but as a feeling it is desperate, as you said.

I tried to avoid mentioning that we (animals or living things) leave something behind, because that is also something that is going to fade away, in the end.

Life is a struggle, but struggling with our songs is more like a challenge and usually quite rewarding when finally finished.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Terrific melody and arrangement Jann,
Well done grappling with such a sensitive topic.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne,
A thoughtful, dark-tinged write I can relate to.Even in places where there`s some tension and complication in the verse prosody they give pause to consider- as the subject deserves!
The chorus is,as others have said, strongly melodic and memorable.
Your songs always have a sophistication that identifies the "jannesan"style; very enjoyable and interesting music.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne, I would not change a thing. I like it as is. Nice vocal, chord progression, instrumentation, and mix.

This is really a good song.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne,

It's a very elaborate song.
The chord progression is great.
The melodies after the B part are especially wonderful.
I think your characteristics are very clear in this tune.
It can only be said that it is a great work you drew with tremendous efforts.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
“Everything fades in the end
peacefully withers
finally to ease from all
the worldly torment
it's a solemn moment
when the total silence falls.”

You have, indeed, written a beautiful chorus and we can both relate to that “solemn moment” with regard to our loved ones’ passing. I (Janice) thought of the moody feel of Steely Dan and agree with you that the RT’s fit the lyric and melody perfectly. Bud also has had some of those lyric ideas that just couldn’t seem to find their way to a completed song.

"the fragile stem of hope
can't stand the weight of gloom
many numb the ache and
many let it break
everyone gets pruned
the most exposed are those who bloom."

This also is a standout for us. You are a poet, Janne.

We're glad you finished this!

J&B

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Janne
A poignant write with some highly poetic lines and yes, the chorus is lovely. Well done. I can certainly relate to the struggle to complete a lyric when inspiration just won't come. That can be very frustrating. It's good that you persevered with this one.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janne

You've done an wonderful job and indeed the chorus is exceptional.

Nice production and overall sound, melodic and engaging. Superb instrumental choices especially the guitars.

Excellent.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Janne glad to hear from you. This is an excellent song. Super vocal loved the chord progressions. Well done..

Thanks Scott, nice to be back, I appreciate your kind comment smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195