Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
therefore why not lets go a step further, as follows
(useing arty intelligence in computer software)....
ie..a true instant coffee , minimal work solution....
c. the user cliks a button titled GIMME A HIT SONG.

It's funny, this reminds me of how I found myself checking out BIAB for the first time, just recently.

I forget where it was, maybe a Logic discussion board, but some guy was developing a computer game and needed music for it. He had absolutely no interest in choosing clips from stock material or producing new material himself, he just needed some free "music" for his game. He spoke of it as it music were a fluid, to be purchased by the gallon. He knew nothing about music and wasn't interested in learning. He didn't really want to have to think about this too much. He just needed some music because games have music.

Others were gently suggesting that he couldn't avoid the creative process TOTALLY, that he would have to make SOME decisions about what kind of sound the computer would be making as his game was played, assuming some relation between the action and the soundtrack. Maybe try to connect up with a musician for assistance?

At some point, "Band in a Box" came up. =8^)

BIAB really can be instant coffee. I've made some pieces just as utility exercise music, my artistic input consisting of nothing but selecting a style and how long the C chord will be played. And yet, it is unquestionably real music, and even sounds pretty good.

I share your concerns about the automation of the musical process by things like BIAB and generative music applications... even as I use every digital tool I can get my hands on to augment my own minor talents.

This fear is superfluous. People who like BIAB will like BIAB.
People who like to play guitar can still play guitar.
People who like playing the piano can still play the piano.
We won't stop running outdoors because of the treadmill
We won't stop playing real football because of football games
I think BIAB has embarked on a new path of music production since more than 30 years ago. Enter chords, select styles, and generate music.
Until today, this is still a general trend in the future.
Many software want to do this, but they don't do it, not because they don't want to do it, but because they can't.
There are core technologies in it, and it takes years of material accumulation.
It's not what you want to do.
Don't studio one want to do it? Doesn't Cubase want to do it? Don't Ni want to do it?
They can't. So we can only produce some Daw and timbre libraries for the time being

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Mark.
thanks for your post. it sorta got me thinking bout how many styles would keep everybody happy.
i get what lazarus and others post/ideas etc.
but..there is a 'flaw' to many folks thinking.

Question....how did the stylepicker get so huge with so many styles we enjoy today, and some complain about ?
Answer...cos over the years pg tried valiantly to fulfill
musicians constant requests for new styles probably.

however the FLAW is ...what is this years hot style, next year is PASSE'...whats IN this year, might be not next year.

so i question if pg include some hot new contemporary
styles are included in 2022 version....will they be passe' quickly , replaced by a bunch of styles that are the new in thing.
how does pg keep up with might be just fads for a time ?
the other issue is how much download times might inmcrease for pg purchasers as biab gets bigger and bigger.

i looked at sbmix's nexus product. yes its nice.
lots of nice sounds etc etc. but still time must be spent identifying the nuggets of sound from nexus to use in ones song.

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/03/21 03:21 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
Lazarus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
SBmix,

I appreciate your contribution to the discussion but I think you misunderstand what I'm seeking.

I have never said 'I don't like electronic timbre'. I have loads of electronic instruments and of course they feature in pop songs and should be there in contemporary styles.

The things that don't appeal to me about EDM/Dance/House are more to do with their chord progressions, structure, absence of lyrics, certain insistent rhythms etc. rather than a universal allergy on my part to 'electronic timbre'! I have nothing against the 'electronic elements' in the songs in my list (or I wouldn't have included them!)

I'm not sure what you mean by the songs in my list being "very common" pop songs? If you mean they are conventional songs (with a modern flavour), that is exactly my point.

I (and others in this thread) have said that I don't find the existing BIAB Modern Pop styles reflect the instrumental components of current mainstream pop songs. There are all sorts of 'electronic timbres', some of which fit better with more organic sounds/instruments. To me, the current Modern Pop styles feel more to the Dance/House end of that spectrum than songs like those I posted.

As I wrote in my previous post, what you describe as 'vocal design' is not something I expect from BIAB.

Thanks again for your contributions to the discussion. I hope this has answered your question towards the end of it. I welcome 'some electronic elements'... if they sound like those in mainstream contemporary pop songs!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Question....how did the stylepicker get so huge with so many styles we enjoy today, and some complain about?

I know. Imagine if you were selecting a color in a photo application and instead of having a color wheel or something, you just had a huge collection of photographs of things that are different colors.

Maybe some day BIAB will crack the code and it will all be reduced to 3 parameters with values from 0 to 255.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Is +++ THIS +++ Nexus and is +++ THIS +++ Arcade?

As far as I can tell both are plugin samplers. If you're going to go that route why not try +++ Momentum +++, +++ UVI Workstation +++.

The Band-in-a-Box program hosts plugins so all these plugins can work inside Band-in-a-Box.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Lazarus

The things that don't appeal to me about EDM/Dance/House are more to do with their chord progressions, structure, absence of lyrics, certain insistent rhythms etc. rather than a universal allergy on my part to 'electronic timbre'! I have nothing against the 'electronic elements' in the songs in my list (or I wouldn't have included them!)

EDM music itself is designed for parties. Chords are simple.
My consciousness is that as long as I use the timbre of EDM to turn the chord into a pop song, it will immediately feel like a pop song.
What I want to express is that BIAB needs electronic timbre, which will increase the modern sense of BIAB.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Is +++ THIS +++ Nexus and is +++ THIS +++ Arcade?

As far as I can tell both are plugin samplers. If you're going to go that route why not try +++ Momentum +++, +++ UVI Workstation +++.

The Band-in-a-Box program hosts plugins so all these plugins can work inside Band-in-a-Box.

Arcade, initial. Slice and nexus are gradually supporting the simplification of music production.
The idea is basically editing and generating music.
The timbre of these software is in line with modern music.
The idea of these software, in fact, band in a box started 30 years ago.
Therefore, BIAB has the most advantage in this music software production reform.
Now BIAB only needs to add some modern timbre, modern style, and then make some promotional videos, which will be very successful.
If BIAB does nothing, it will be eliminated.
In Facebook, I left a message to recommend band in a box to many people. Their replies were: "I don't want to try band in a box. The interface is complex and feels very old."
I immediately replied to them: "no, actually band in a box is underestimated."

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
I'll make another one with nexus. Let's compare.

If you could make a few UserTracks with Nexus it will give users an idea of what you are talking about as they could try them out.
If I had Nexus I would make a lot up, but I'm not up with all the latest music styles to know what to make.
If the style is playing the same phrase for each chord then you don't need lots of that chord, you only need lots of the chord if there a lot of variations in phrases/riffs, so you just make a copy of the SGU wav to stop it over transposing.
Something like the screenshot below, this will give verse and chorus parts.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB21-Template-Verse-Chorus.png (51.29 KB, 223 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
1. have biab scan the net for the new hot contemporary
pop songwriters and analyse their song styles.
2. then when a user cliks a button called CREATE A HOT NEW SONG, the user fills in the following fields.
a. the name of the songwriter to be emulated.
b. tempo and key maybe ? then...
c. the user cliks a button titled GIMME A HIT SONG.

then biab accesses on the net data bases of samples
and presents the user with a finished song.
if the user dont like it, rinse and repeat till
user is happy.
is this the way people will create songs in the future.
ie minimal effort ?

Oh please. You are here because you like the music shortcuts available by using BIAB. As am I. As are all of us.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Veteran
Veteran
S
In any case, through your discussion, you can see your desire for a new style.
Please make more styles!
More modern kick, more modern musical instruments, more modern feeling.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
JohnJohnJohn.
RE "oh please".

i said up thread , ..i would probably use any new features that made life easier.
(of course depending on what it was john.)

i normally upgrade every few years depending how much a new feature interests me.
but "still" if an instant coffee gimme an instant song feature came out ,...like i outlined...
if it was a new serious song i was creating (and not a quickie rough demo) i would still rigorously go through every single biab style (after establishing the chord sheet arrangement).

because ive found over the years if i dont do that i miss some interesting sounds. ive spent several days this week doing just that. in summary , yes there are times i will appreciate instant solutions, but, other times i'm extremely hard on myself and work in a rigorous detailed fashion john.

now some might say "thats crazy going thru zillions of styles etc "...so be it. but my reasoning is simple as an ex coder/programmer.
ie has the AI programming in bringing to me a instant quick song solution missed something ?

thus if pg bring out another few hundred styles in the stylepicker over the next couple of years, i will go through those as well as my current huge list of styles in the stylepicker. (if i'm doing a serious song.)

if pg were to offer an instant solution useing AI techniques, i would probably use the feature for quickie demoing of ideas etc. i hope i make some sense john in my defense..lol. believe me i work very very hard.

Jim Fogle.

actually your post providing links to nexus/output/momentum/uvi products brings up a very interesting point.

just imagine for a moment if pg included all those sample libraries in the biab product.
yes this would make contemporary song creators very happy. but then probably the downloads would balloon by terabytes , thus annoying pg users downloading say the 2023 version of the product. or whichever new version.

thus pg are in a catch 22 situation imho. i cant see how pg can win.
(remember a thread months back with pg simon involved discussing the file size impacts of makeing audiophile even bigger and bigger , and how big it would get ?}

i think if i were to embark on a serious contemporary song project for commercial release , i would do the following.
1. create a chord arrange in real band. and generate a guide stereo wav in rb .
2. use rb to generate lots of *.mid traks. ie playing to the strength of the rb product.
then
3. plug in, as you suggest something like uvi with its huge sample libs. isolating on traks the final sound nuggets i want to use in the song. or i might transfer the mids into reaps and plug in the uvi sample player there. i like rb and reaps cos of lots of traks flexibility.

its sort of a divide and conquer approach jim .
ie use uvi (or another plug in) for what its good at and realband for what its good at too. rather than expecting everything and the kitchen sink in one product.

hope i make sense jim. the thing i like about rb is the right clik over a trak feature , and ease of gen/regen to ones hearts content. a very strong point. as well as the triks i can do in various views.
but thats for another day.
bestest.
om

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Oh please. You are here because you like the music shortcuts available by using BIAB. As am I. As are all of us.

The reason I am here is also the reason I think about these issues.

Really, if you could get it down to a one-click Google-based operation, how would you regard the recordings you were producing? Would the experience of clicking one up be anything like the experience of actually composing it? Would you really feel you just created a new song? But it will be SO tempting, won't it? Record a new album in the time it takes to put together a playlist! Get the optional CrimeLord module and the generator will avoid training on tunes with a history of copyright litigation.

I do have mixed feelings about that scenario.

But it's not about "fear", it's about where we want to go, collectively and individually. And exactly how much we choose to value efficiency, convenience, and automation, and why, and over what other values.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
My point is Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are plugin hosts. They don't need to imitate a plugin since you can use the plugin inside either PG Music program.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Really, if you could get it down to a one-click Google-based operation, how would you regard the recordings you were producing? Would the experience of clicking one up be anything like the experience of actually composing it? Would you really feel you just created a new song? But it will be SO tempting, won't it? Record a new album in the time it takes to put together a playlist! Get the optional CrimeLord module and the generator will avoid training on tunes with a history of copyright litigation.

I do have mixed feelings about that scenario.

But it's not about "fear", it's about where we want to go, collectively and individually. And exactly how much we choose to value efficiency, convenience, and automation, and why, and over what other values.

Everyone gets to choose their own standard when it comes to tools. There are a very wide range of options,

- do everything virtually including all virtual instruments, using MIDI patterns or prerecorded topline beats and maybe even using virtual vocals

- use BIAB to do all instrumentation

- use BIAB to provide basic instrumental backing while singing and playing your primary instrument

- use only real instruments and live musicians in the studio

- grow your own maple, spruce and walnut and learn to handcraft your guitars; raise and slaughter your own goats to handcraft your own banjos, drums and tambourines

So which is best? It doesn't matter! The end result is what matters!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
There are a very wide range of options [...] So which is best? It doesn't matter! The end result is what matters!

All your levels are well short of the nearly total automation imagined for our "hitmaker". Popping a tune from that thing is more like subscribing to a service and having them send you something every morning.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
Lazarus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
If you really want to make a pop hit, the arrangement of your own chords (what BIAB does) is only ever going to be a small part of the process.

I would recommend Songtown.com for anyone who wants to learn the reality of what it takes to find concepts and lyrics that will cut through and get cuts by artists.

That's if you want to make actual songs.

If you're making electronic music with no lyrics, just the occasional "Ooh yeah baby" from a sample collection, much more of that process is automatable but that is dance/edm territory which won't feature in mainstream pop or AC (adult contemporary) charts.

And, of course, dance/edm is an equally valid form of musical expression!

Actual SONGS will always require substantial human creative input.

P.S. Most pop hits now have multiple (human) writers. Many more than used to be the case so now, in the contemporary pop industry, it takes more people to write a hit, not fewer! I don't think we need worry about being replaced by machines.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Lazarus

P.S. Most pop hits now have multiple (human) writers. Many more than used to be the case so now, in the contemporary pop industry, it takes more people to write a hit, not fewer! I don't think we need worry about being replaced by machines.
I’m interested in learning more about this (which is easy, because my knowledge of the modern pop music industry is zero). I’m curious what it is that requires more people. Thanks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Lazarus....you said.

i'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.
but some might say too many cooks spoil the broth also.

frankly haveing done loads of songs in my life solo and with
others, i'm not sure there is a perfect solution.
sometimes too many egos get in the way.

frankly i like the way the pg user showcase seems to work.
i like how its friendly and collegial.

best
om

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
Lazarus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Hello Matt,

Lots of professional and aspiring writers work in teams. Most pro songwriters now write collaboratively. I suggest you check out Songtown, run my Marty Dodson and Clay Mills, who have a string of number ones between them and are very generous with their insights about how the industry works. They have written a several books, including A Songwriter's Guide To Mastering Co-writing.

https://www.amazon.com/Songwriters-Guide-Mastering-Co-Writing-Techniques/dp/1543958311/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=a+songwriters+guide+to+co-writing&qid=1633460309&sr=8-1

Teams will often include a 'track guy' who may bring a backing track or develop one as the song progresses. Someone like Marty is brought in to focus on lyric and concept. Songs are often written with artists and a group of writers.

Another book, Song machine: Inside the Hit Factory, explains the recent history of teams around the world crafting today's pop songs.

https://www.amazon.com/Song-Machine-John-Seabrook-audiobook/dp/B015TM12RS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+song+machine&qid=1633460341&sr=8-1

Hope this helps.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
Lazarus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Lazarus....you said.

i'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.
but some might say too many cooks spoil the broth also.

frankly haveing done loads of songs in my life solo and with
others, i'm not sure there is a perfect solution.
sometimes too many egos get in the way.

frankly i like the way the pg user showcase seems to work.
i like how its friendly and collegial.

best
om

I'm not that keen on co-writing. It's worked for me a few times but I'm not personally in sympathy with the lyrical content of many songs so I'd rather write something I believe in.

I'm not familiar with the PG user showcase. Maybe I should check it out. Songtown offers pro and peer feedback on your songs, which I have found useful.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,638
Posts735,345
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182