Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#645941 03/10/21 10:48 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is a song that Martin D Torrez wrote and recorded using BB tracks. Real Tracks actually.

I heard this in it's original form and commented on it. I don't recall the particulars but likely about aspects of the mix and the guitars. Martin and I lost contact for a few weeks due to things going on. I had honestly forgotten about it totally. We reconnected and I was sent the tracks to remix. There's 24 tracks in the original song and they're all here too.

What I did was work on the vocals EQ and levels, remix the entire band, and added the solo in the middle here at my studio.

This is a pretty cool song and I was impressed with the potential it had.

All tracks are realtracks.
Acoustic-#362 is Tony King.
Bass-#387 is Dow Tomlin.
Drums - Wayne Killus.
Acoustic Fingerpicking -#365 is Jason Roller.
Electric Rhythm-#642 is Mike Durham.
12 String-#1002 is Pat McGrath.

Vocals Martin Torrez
Lead Guitar solo: Herb Hartley

Here's the song.... enjoy.

She Wrecks Me

Note that there was no vocal correction used.... there was over 12 vocal tracks.... are you kidding me?

Second thing is that there is a sound around 4:18 in the song.... that was left in because I thought it was cool....

Bonus points if you can guess exactly what it is.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/10/21 11:00 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Wonderful harmonies! Cool groove and vibe. And well mixed.

Much enjoyed!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Took me a few moments to get my head around your unusual vocal
on this.Very well crafted and great band choice.
Well mixed and performed.
Rob4580

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Wonderful harmonies! Cool groove and vibe. And well mixed.

Much enjoyed!

I'm glad you like it. Thanks

www.herbhartley.com

Rob4580 #645976 03/10/21 01:36 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Took me a few moments to get my head around your unusual vocal
on this.Very well crafted and great band choice.
Well mixed and performed.
Rob4580

I reckon you eventually figured out that it wasn't me singing. Lol.....

I played about 20 seconds worth of guitar on this.

Thanks

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
It's got a unique sound to it.
I don't love it, I don't hate it....HMMM?

Nice job on the harmonies.

Is that 4:18 sound a guitar string scratch?

moto

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice work on the mix. Love the indie vibe and the twists and turns in production. Guy has a good indie-rock voice and the doubling and harmonies were very effective.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb

Interesting song with a nice big sound, well mixed and produced.

Good stuff.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
It's got a unique sound to it.
I don't love it, I don't hate it....HMMM?

Nice job on the harmonies.

Is that 4:18 sound a guitar string scratch?

moto

I have songs like that too.... not quite sure so I listen and see if it grows on me or not.

Martin did a great job on the harmonies.

Nope.... good guess on the sound but it's not a guitar.

Thanks for listening

www.herbhartley.com

Tangmo #646119 03/11/21 07:37 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Nice work on the mix. Love the indie vibe and the twists and turns in production. Guy has a good indie-rock voice and the doubling and harmonies were very effective.

I agree and that's one of the reasons I offered to jump in on this and mix it. Very cool production switch-ups and not in my specific genre.... so it was certainly fun to mix.

I think you're right.... his voice is well suited for the genre.

www.herbhartley.com

PeterF #646121 03/11/21 07:41 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Herb

Interesting song with a nice big sound, well mixed and produced.

Good stuff.

Peter

Thanks Peter..... He did most of the production before hand.... I did make a few edits that ended up shortening the song a bit and also a few internal things. I lengthened the time in the acoustic section before the drums and bass came in.... that was a unique and pretty part to me. It reminded me of 10cc or one of those MOR late 70's bands.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice solo Herb! It fits the song very well! I like all the changes in flow of the tune! Very interesting melodic structure! T

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really like the way the pulsing,thrusting guitar contrasts with the ethereal melody and vocal. Nice!

At 4:18, it does sound like some sort of fret/string noise.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Herb.

...I jump immediately to hear the pick sliding up the guitar string, only to read that's not what the sound is.

No bonus points for me! frown

You're complaining there are 12 vocal tracks? That means there are "only" 12 instrument tracks! laugh

Song enjoyed - Cool sound!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb and Martin ...

Very cool Indie Rock! It'[s not a genre I listen to often, but pick one out here and there. This is an excellent representation of the genre, based on my limited knowledge of the genre. Loved the vocals only part! And that sawing guitar backing track really puts an edge to everything.

Your lead riff was outstanding! Playing out of=of-genre and making it sound as though you've been playing all your life isn't always a piece of cake. But it was a sweet delicacy this time - you nailed it!

Not sure of the source. But it sounded a bit like a keyboard with that little "warble" stick". I don't know what you call that thing but "warble stick" sounded good to me! It's usually on the left-hand side, close to the lowest key. If that made no sense to you, just ignore it. I'm used to being ignored - I'm married!

Totally different from anything you've previously posted. It was a really nice surprise!

Take care ...

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Nice solo Herb! It fits the song very well! I like all the changes in flow of the tune! Very interesting melodic structure! T

Glad you like this. I try to be as melodic as possible in the majority of cases.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I really like the way the pulsing,thrusting guitar contrasts with the ethereal melody and vocal. Nice!

At 4:18, it does sound like some sort of fret/string noise.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of those crunchy guitars.... love it.

Nope.... that noise is not fret/string noise.

Thanks for listening

www.herbhartley.com

dcuny #646277 03/12/21 04:23 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Herb.

...I jump immediately to hear the pick sliding up the guitar string, only to read that's not what the sound is.

No bonus points for me! frown

You're complaining there are 12 vocal tracks? That means there are "only" 12 instrument tracks! laugh

Song enjoyed - Cool sound!

Yeah.... there was a lot of tracks.... in addition to the vox.... there was, for example.... 4 acoustic guitars in the instrument mix.... trying to get a good clean sound without slighting any of them. Panning.....

Hang loose on the mystery noise....

www.herbhartley.com

Al-David #646278 03/12/21 04:26 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Herb and Martin ...

Very cool Indie Rock! It'[s not a genre I listen to often, but pick one out here and there. This is an excellent representation of the genre, based on my limited knowledge of the genre. Loved the vocals only part! And that sawing guitar backing track really puts an edge to everything.

Your lead riff was outstanding! Playing out of=of-genre and making it sound as though you've been playing all your life isn't always a piece of cake. But it was a sweet delicacy this time - you nailed it!

Not sure of the source. But it sounded a bit like a keyboard with that little "warble" stick". I don't know what you call that thing but "warble stick" sounded good to me! It's usually on the left-hand side, close to the lowest key. If that made no sense to you, just ignore it. I'm used to being ignored - I'm married!

Totally different from anything you've previously posted. It was a really nice surprise!

Take care ...

Alan

Thanks for the kind words.... I like to stretch myself out of my comfort zone from time to time and this certainly let me have that opportunity. Working up the guitar solo so that it didn't sound country, which is kind of my default setting was an interesting and fun experience.

The sound source was not a keyboard either.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK..... there was some really good guesses so far on the mystery sound at 4:18 in the mix. And really, it's not an easy sound to identify. SO here's the details.

It's on one of the vocal harmony tracks and I had panned that track pretty far to one side which I'm sure you noticed if you listened to the song with headphones.

Martin explained that he was recording the vocal harmony tracks and his dog was in the room with him laying down and listening to the goings on. Apparently, the dog was getting a bit bored, and let loose with one of those audible yawns that dogs tend to do, right there in the middle of the tracking for that track...

Yep, it's a big old DOG YAWN. I think it's their way of saying it's time to throw the ball for me dad.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/12/21 11:04 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,475
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195