You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#647012 - 03/16/21 12:20 AM [Songwriting] Why No Verses or Bridges?
duselton Offline

I am new to BIAB. I am used to thinking in terms of Intros, Verses, Choruses, Bridges and Outros. How come this only seems to want to support intro, outro and chorus? No versus, no bridges, I must be missing something.

#647033 - 03/16/21 05:26 AM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
jamestoffee Offline
Apprentice

A lot of the styles have A/B choices.

I tend to use 'A' for verses and 'B' for choruses.

You can also have instruments muted and come in at later bars to add contrast.

If you are looking for more variations, you could look at MultiStyles PAK 1

"MultiStyles for Band-in-a-Box®
Have you ever wished that you could create more elaborate arrangements in Band-in-a-Box® with more than two distinct-sounding substyles? MultiStyles can fulfill that desire with the ability to incorporate up to 24 substyles in one style! And, now we have special add-on PAKs that give you a huge collection of these advanced styles. Each MultiStyle in these PAKs comes with a demo song that shows off the sound of all of the substyles. But that's not all, you can also access the component styles of these MultiStyles in order to view the full instrument lists from the StylePicker and access more great demo songs! Each MultiStyles PAK offers Country, Rock-Pop, and Jazz styles, and some of the styles transcend these genres completely! Don't limit yourself to two substyles per style, light your creative fire with MultiStyles PAKs!"

#647039 - 03/16/21 07:30 AM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Besides the MultiStyles add-on packages, some multistyles are included in the various versions of BIAB and can be selected from the StylePicker and are marked by the + sign at the end of the name. In the search bar, enter + for a list of included MultiStyles. Most of the styles are from 4-6 part markers.

It's also quite easy to construct your own custom MultiStyles just like PG Music has done with the MultiStyles PAK 1.

Edited by Charlie Fogle (03/16/21 07:30 AM)

#647050 - 03/16/21 09:28 AM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: duselton
I am new to BIAB. I am used to thinking in terms of Intros, Verses, Choruses, Bridges and Outros. How come this only seems to want to support intro, outro and chorus? No versus, no bridges, I must be missing something.

First off, welcome to the family.

To your question. BB uses slightly different terminology from what you are used too. BB refers exclusively to choruses..... or if you unfold the song form.... to one chorus.

Ignore that totally for all intents and purposes. BB will provide you with a typical intro and outtro. It also has styles that generally have 2 different grooves. Some have 4, but most have 2. The blue part markers are generally identifiable as verses and tend to be more laid back, and the Green ones are more like choruses in the way they feel. The green tend to be more aggressive and it's certainly noticeable in the drums as well as the guitars.

Many of us, write our own intros, verses, choruses, bridges and endings using the long form of ONE CHORUS in the vernacular of PG Music. We differentiate the verses and the choruses by using different part maker colors.

Hopefully this helps

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#647084 - 03/16/21 02:34 PM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
duselton Offline

thanks for the welcome and the tips to date folks. I am still working to wrap my head around how this works. Seems to be a lot of tribal knowledge, but I would say the ramping curve is steep. Maybe once I have consumed more, I can help with some newbie materials to help lower the bar for adoption.

Dave

#647101 - 03/16/21 04:00 PM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
As mentioned, ignore the term chorus and think of it as the body of the song.
I had the same brain freeze as you.

After playing and looking at a few templates and demos of songs I learnt about the markers, the changes to style etc. and began to employ them.

It does take time to get used to the user interface and there are squillions of things within the program that reveal themselves as you progress. I've been using Reaper for more than a decade and think I know about 15% of that program at best.

If you go to a site like
https://www.theguitarband.com/sgu-files-2/
and down and then open an SGU in BIAB you'll be able to explore the basics in a forensic way.

Edited by rayc (03/16/21 04:01 PM)
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#647167 - 03/17/21 06:45 AM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

We simply set the key/tempo, enter our chords on the chord sheet to correspond to our arrangement, enter our RT/RD/MST selections (or per a style) and generate. We then enter blue/green part markers as appropriate.

Afterwards we move all the tracks to our DAW (Logic Pro X) as we are Mac folks and do not have access to Window’s RealBand. We will frequently regenerate select RT’s until they play what we like smile and if that doesn’t happen we bring multiple regens of that RT into the DAW and cut/paste them into what we hope sounds good.

This may not be applicable to your planned work flow as there are so many ways to use this great program. Welcome to the community!

Bud

J&B Soundcloud
J&B YouTube
J&B Website

#647187 - 03/17/21 08:28 AM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
Loc: TN
Roger Brown Offline
Apprentice

Loc: TN
On a related note, I'd like to mention to the OP that there are numerous, outstanding YouTube videos on how to use BIAB. IMO, it's a great kickstarter towards getting up & running. It's an incredibly deep program, and I haven't scratched the surface of everything it can do, but I have been able to identify & master the features that are most applicable and useful in my personal workflow.

#647993 - 03/22/21 02:44 PM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Denmark
Peters Garage Offline
Apprentice

just to add some more spice :-)

You might want to quiet some RT instruments during your verse and then let it all come to life during the part you normally refer to as a chorus.

Another way to bend BIAB into your workflow is to make multiple versions of the same song, and import everything into your DAW (same as Janice & Bud...and same methods). The you might end up with a lot of tracks playing the same chord progressions - then it's all up to you to decide what goes in the verse...ect

But please do reach out - everyone of us is still climbing up this brilliant BIAB mountain.

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services such as Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music, Tidal, Deezer....and many more

#648083 - 03/23/21 07:02 AM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Hinted at above, BIAB originated as a way to play jazz fakebook tunes. In jazz, we call a chorus once through the whole tune. A typical form for a song might be AABA, where B is the bridge, and that’s one chorus. If we say, ‘take a chorus’ it means to solo over the whole tune once.
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam sub & monitors

#648090 - 03/23/21 07:34 AM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: Matt Finley]
justanoldmuso Offline
Journeyman

duselton
re Why No Verses or Bridges etc.
ive been tilting at this particular windmill for a long time, even though i'm an avid biab user and song creator.
you might be interested in the following threads of my wishes.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=626291#Post626291

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=626758#Post626758

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=646639#Post646639

best
oldmuso

#648111 - 03/23/21 10:53 AM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Oh, this discussion goes back decades. However, I am encouraged by recent comments of Dr. Gannon.
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam sub & monitors

#648118 - 03/23/21 11:33 AM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Yes, this discussion has gone on for years. Tons of hits on Google about the term "chorus", Here's just one from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_structure

As a long time US based gigging player I'm also used to intro, verse, bridge, solos, outro but Matt is also correct, in jazz the whole song is commonly called the chorus. To help with this Biab has the song structure function where you can at least use A, B, C, D etc to identify the various sections.

And the beat goes on...

Bob
Biab/RB latest build, Win 10 64 bit, Intel 4770, 256 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.

#648237 - 03/24/21 03:28 AM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: jazzmammal]
Peters Garage Offline
Apprentice

The song structure function does the job very well - maybe a few improvements regarding max amount of parts + max amount of bars (especially when you write songs in +140 BPM).

....after 7 years of being daily BIAB user, you somehow learn your way to make things work...but out of the box BIAB is not the easiest tool to work with

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services such as Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music, Tidal, Deezer....and many more

#648569 - 03/25/21 07:53 PM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: Janice & Bud]
jptjptjpt Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We simply set the key/tempo, enter our chords on the chord sheet to correspond to our arrangement, enter our RT/RD/MST selections (or per a style) and generate. We then enter blue/green part markers as appropriate.

Afterwards we move all the tracks to our DAW...

That's basically my process too. Are you guys downloading prearranged songs?

https://youtu.be/JwblUfdbsEk

My music can be heard at: http://thecracks.bandcamp.com/

#649036 - 03/28/21 01:01 PM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: jptjptjpt]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Afterwards we move all the tracks to our DAW...

That's basically my process too. Are you guys downloading prearranged songs?

No. We enter our chord progressions based on our arrangement and select our choice of RTs and RDs. We rarely ever use a style as we prefer to roll our own smile

Bud

J&B Soundcloud
J&B YouTube
J&B Website

#649187 - 03/29/21 05:02 PM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

#649449 - 03/31/21 11:13 AM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Yes, to recap:

A core feature of BIAB allows you to create a chorus feel, and the tracks are produced with this in mind (so your choruses can sound different than verses in intensity). You can also change the feel of the drums in verse and chorus inside the real track picker dialog if you have it open, using selections from the menu. (I.e., you can change aspects of the drums in each section, see screenshot below.)

The use of "Green" or "b" sections on the chart, whether entered manually (or using the song form dialog (which I love) renders a "busier" and more "up" chorus feature. The drums get more emphatic, and the instruments a little more charged, as you want in a chorus.

Just click on a box until it changes colors. In multi-styles, colors beside green and blue give different feels. You have to experiment.

So, basically, I use "blue" for intros, verses and bridges, and "Green" for choruses. I think everyone does this.

But experiment--and click on the drum tracks you are using to see the range of options for the sections.

Here is a screenshot of a recent song I posted and a link to it.

Tell me if this makes sense. This may have been said here in different ways already, but it is pretty straightforward.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=647173#Post647173

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#650709 - 04/08/21 06:52 PM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
Gary Weder Offline
Apprentice

greetings duselton

Biab has an excellent fix for you.
I find this tool invaluable. Good luck and looking forward to hearing your first song in the showcase smile

#650800 - Yesterday at 02:08 PM [Songwriting] Re: Why No Verses or Bridges? [Re: duselton]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

My approach is similar to David’s just above. In my jazz songs, I generally use a green part marker for the intro and the tag, and the bridge. BIAB defaults to using green for the middle choruses (soloing) but you can turn that off.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Dutch for Windows is Here!

We zijn bezig geweest en hebben 80 nieuwe functies toegevoegd en een verbazingwekkende collectie van nieuwe inhoud, inclusief 202 RealTracks, nieuwe RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumentale Studies, Artiest Uitvoeringen, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", RealDrums transcripties, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Stijlen PAK 10 en meer!

Nieuwe Functies | Pakketten

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Danish for Windows is Here!

Vi har haft travlt, og har tilføjet 80 nye funktioner og en fantastisk samling af nyt indhold, bl.a. 202 RealTracks, nye RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transsriptioner, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 og meget mere!

Hvan er Nyt | Pakker

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Update Available!

The latest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 update for Windows enhances the JukeBox, adds a "Set all tracks to this:" option to the MIDI import dialog, improves chord sheet view during playback, and more!

Learn more & download this free update.

Read the patch announcement.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Swedish for Windows is Here!

Vi har varit flitiga och lagt till över 80 nya funktioner och en fantastisk samling av nytt innehåll, innefattande 202 RealTracks, nya RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, med mera!

Paket | Vad är nytt

Update Your RealBand 2021 Today!

The latest version of RealBand 2021 is ready to download and add to your existing 2021 installation!

With this update we've addressed many user reported issues. We brought back the option to save mono WMA files, made Band-in-a-Box notation slurs visible in RealBand notation, decreased the frequency of warning messages about sampling rates, added program stability when selecting FlexASIO driver, and more!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Audio Edit Window Tips!

In Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows you can view the audio on any track in the Audio Edit Window.

While you're there, check out the new hotkeys we've added:

-Home key: moves the cursor to the beginning of a track.
-Home+Shift keys: move the left cursor to the beginning of a track.
-End key: moves the cursor to the end of a track.
-End+Shift keys: move the right cursor to the end of a track.
-Ctrl+A keys: select the whole track.

Jump to this topic in our New Features video.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Chord Sheet Improvements!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2021 we added some handy features to the Chord Sheet, which you can now copy-and-paste chords into with simple text! There are new zoom buttons, part-marker time signature display, additions to the right-click menu, and more. We've even updated the Chord Sheet to resize and make more room for the improved Mixer Window!

We've highlighted some of these additions within our 2021 New Features Video:

Easy changing of lines per page & bars per line 17:49
Time signature displays on main page 18:50
Visual transpose in main screen display 19:05
Visual transpose setting in notation 19:48
Copy and Paste chords 60:04

Forum Stats
34207 Members
67 Forums
68982 Topics
592165 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM