Go To
#649313 03/30/21 10:10 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi all,

on my way to accomplishment, I still struggle with basic things :-(

My quest this evening was adding a midi melody I already have in an existing midi file to a Biab backing track, that I generate with the plugin verion of Biab. That works fine.
Only the midi track in my DAW seems to always move back the volume when I start the song from the beginning.
I have a nice accordion kontakt library running on this midi track and even I move the instrument volume up. As soon as I start the song again, it resets the volume to very low (hardly to hear).

How can I get rid of this behaviour?
I think there are some midi data resets happening from what is in the copied midi track.
What is the way to go. I use Studio One.

Thanks for your insights!

Cheers
Stefan

DAW: Studio One 5.1 Pro
Interfaces: Steinberg UR22, Scarlett 8i6
Windows 10 64bit Home Edition
Microsoft Windows Version 2004 (Build 19041.685)
Veteran
Veteran
The first thing to check is are there any volumes CCs on the track? Look for CC7, CC11 and/or CC2 as all three will affect volume.

If there isn't any volume CCs then look at the MIDI sound source. For instants I run into that problem sometimes when using Kontakt as my sound source. Sometimes the Kontakt volume is low to start so I move it up, then it resets itself to low again on restarts. Then I will add a CC7 to that MIDI track so it will start at the volume that I want.

I hope this helps and good luck.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Mario,

I think it is a Kontakt instrument issue.
The volume starts low, then I change it while the song is plotting along and as soon as I stop the song (spacebar in Studio One for example) the volume snaps right back near to zero.
Where you I set a volume that sticks to the track? Where would I see, which CCs are in the track somewhere?!

Thanks again....

Cheers
Stefan

Veteran
Veteran
Click on the Kontakt track then click on show/hide automation. Click on the down arrow on the right of automation window. If you are working with audio volume and pan will be displayed. If you are work with MIDI you have to click on MIDI, then volume, then on add. In either case you will click on the added volume automation line at the start of the track then again at the end of the track. Move your curser to the top of the track and when it changes click and drag up for more volume and down for less. You may have to play around a little to get it down.

Note that you are able to increase and decrease the volume at any point in the track, plus you can add crescendos and decrescendos/diminuendos.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
I find setting the CCs for volume (CC7) is one thing there is often also a need to look at the output volume of the (audio output) track.

A lot of instruments also have an expression setting (usually CC11) and in some cases the Modulation Wheel (CC1)needs setting. Some instruments might use Breath Control (CC2) to do some modulation. It is very instrument dependant as are articulations which can also have an effect. Quite a lot of instruments have many controls to help them along.

At the moment I’m playing around with having a separate MIDI track to “control” the patch be it Kontakt or another VSTi. Basically the notes to be played are written in one track that points to the patch and things such as Key Switches (to change articulations) and CC lanes on a separate track pointing to the same patch. This avoids cluttering the notes track and makes stuff such as notation easier to follow.

Just a thought
Tony

Edit: added “(audio output)” to hopefully better explain what I was getting at.

Last edited by Teunis; 03/31/21 02:17 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Mario and Tony,

I checked the automation on this track. Can´t see anything happening there Mario.

Is there an inspector of the midi CCs flying around during a song being play in studio one?

How would I see, what´s going on.

Wenn I add a volume automation and set it high, still when I start the song, the midi track gets instantly set back to close to zero I would say.

I also copied the track in a new song file in S1, same behaviour.

I hear your suggestions, but don´t know what to do with this information exactly.....

Thanks for your support here!

Cheers
Stefan

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Museeker
Thanks Mario and Tony,

I checked the automation on this track. Can´t see anything happening there Mario.

Nothing will be there as you have to put it there. With the volume automation open a straight line will appear in the track. Click at the start of the line and again at the end, this will add nodes to the line. Move the cursor to the top of the track and when the cursor changes shape click and drag it up. If I get time later today I will include a picture.

Is there an inspector of the midi CCs flying around during a song being play in studio one?

How would I see, what´s going on.

If any CCs are in a track they will show up under the velocity window in the piano roll view. If nothing is there then there are no CCs affiliated with that track.

Wenn I add a volume automation and set it high, still when I start the song, the midi track gets instantly set back to close to zero I would say.

I also copied the track in a new song file in S1, same behaviour.

I hear your suggestions, but don´t know what to do with this information exactly.....

Thanks for your support here!

Cheers
Stefan

Did you click on the volume automation line like I explained above? If not then nothing will change.

{edit} had some time. Is this how you are doing it? Also is this your MIDI file or a MIDI file you DLed from the Internet?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
1st.jpg (71.29 KB, 71 downloads)
2nd.jpg (73.68 KB, 71 downloads)
Last edited by MarioD; 03/31/21 01:40 PM.

Expert
Expert
open the file in RealBand. press F2 and you will get an event list which will show all the CC instructions and you can manually delete them. resave the file as a stadard mid file and then open in any program you choose

Expert
Expert
What is the Kontakt patch you’re using?

I don’t use Studio One but it but what you’re describing sounds a lot like you’re not setting the “complete” automation lane or there is another lane needs to be set. Very common is to have the volume set in the Audio Output lane and MIDI Track automation not set. They are two different points.

CC7 usually shifts the little volume slider on the top right hand side of the Kontakt patch. It is normally somewhere about 50% along. Unfortunately not all patches behave the same way.

Other CCs are harder to see as such. Usually the help manual for the patch will discuss other required CCs. I use Cakewalk for most of my MIDI stuff. The CC automation usually appears as lines over the MIDI notes. Then in the piano roll view they are usually at the bottom (underneath) the notes or are viewable by looking at the MIDI automation lanes. Reaper is also similar and I would think Studio One would be similar.

It would be interesting to know your actual patch. Maybe just swap out the patch with any other patch as a test to see if I changes things. It could be an overall setting or possibly something just that patch needs.

I enjoy trying to get these things to behave.

Tony

Edit: added swapping the patch.

Last edited by Teunis; 03/31/21 11:28 AM.

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Mario and Tony,

thanks for your input.

I still need to proceed on your suggestions. Some I investigated already, but it is no straight forward thing and I couldn´t solve it yet. I let you know, as soon as I figured it out. Only my energy to do those things mismatch with may eager to make music. So I have to do it in turns as not to get sour..... ;-)

Cheers
Stefan

Expert
Expert
Stefan, keep at it. The whole thing is a learning process. It will be a simple setting not set. Once you learn what it is the knowledge will be there for many other things. I had a professor type person once say to me “knowledge is sometimes hard to acquire but is very easy to carry”.

I get more fun out of the learning than the end results (but that is me). I do this for the enjoyment I get out of it. I often play with stuff I don’t fully understand to see where it takes me. The wonderful thing about computers and computer music is that it is hard to do any real damage but it is amazing what you can learn and create.

Tony

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I sympathize with your view Tony and won´t give up....
We are knitted in a simlar fashion :-)

Cheers
Stfan

Expert
Expert
At the moment I’m playing around with the VSL Synchron Orchestra. I spent much of yesterday adding woodwinds and brass to a piece I had strings, piano and drums on. The drums and piano are not VSL. The strings were sort of ok but areas not what I’d really like. For the love of me I could not get the trombones to play nice. They always ripped through too strong. I went to the piano roll and judiciously set all the velocities really concentrating on the offending notes to no avail.

Ah well go look at the tutorials for VSL Synchron.

Oops, the velocity settings in the piano roll have little effect on patch velocity. In the Synchron Player velocity is set using the Vel XF fader which I had set way too high and reasonably stable (more as a volume type thing) getting the blast area of the trombones (and strings really). To fix this is easy. I just need to use CC2 (the Breath Control CC used to control the Vel XF in Synchron). This does in fact give better control.

The point being there is an answer and it is often a simple matter of reading the manual (you know the extra rubbish PDF that clutters your drive that they always seem to send you) or going through the tutorials often presented by the manufacturer.

Have fun
Tony

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,665
Posts735,634
Members38,533
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176