Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Another song from the old days remade with Band in a Box, and a little help from my friends. Comments are always welcomed. Even ones like, "Well, the woodblock was the best part."

Midnight Train on SoundCloud
Midnight Train on YouTube The photos were all taken in Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, PA, USA.

Style is _TEASIN.STY (Teasin Blues Shuffle)

RealTracks in style: 2889:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkBluesSlowShuffleMike Sw 085
Loop in Song: Drums\BluesShuffleHard^1-HiHat,Ride
RealTracks in song: 2535:Guitar, Electric, HeldChords Gritty
Loop in Song: Drums\WoodblocksSw[single]^4-pattern4
RealDrums [in style:BluesShuffle^3-a:Brushes, Swirl , b:Brushes, HiHat

Dave Bell did the lead guitar work. I played bass and sang (tried Melodyne, but I'm no better with that than I am singing, so pitchiness stays, but I did work on the sibilance). Thanks to the insiration of MarioD and others here, I bought a midi controller to add a couple (way in the background) tracks.

Midnight Train

We're gonna rock on the Midnight Train.
We're gonna roll down the tracks, then do it again.
We're gonna sing when the pipe is passed 'cuz anyday could be the last.
I'm gonna hold you in my arms again
I'm gonna let go to all your charms and then
We'll be flyin' down the railroad track with little chance for looking back.
Or looking out. Look out.

CH: Baby. Baby, I love you, 'though the train we're on is goin' nowhere.
My one-track mind is thinking of you. As long as I'm with you I don't care.

We're gonna rock on the Midnight Train.
We're gonna roll, baby, then do it again.
And when the cats see the cows come home, baby, you won't be alone.
You'll be with me. Alright, I'll rock, you roll. SOLO

We'll pass the planes, curve up the mountainside.
The other trains -whew! We'll seem to pass 'em by.
And when the clouds clear away the smoke,
we'll be laughing at this joke -just you and me. Ha HA!
CH

I'm gonna hold you in my arms again
I'm gonna let go to all your charms and then.
We'll be singin' when the cats come home. Baby, you won't be alone.
Listen to that engine groan on our way back home.

Oh, yeah, yeah. We're gonna rock on the Midnight Train.
Rock 'n' roll. We'll do it and do it again.
We're gonna rock 'n' roll on the Midnight Train,
do another bowl, and then we'll go insane.
Rock 'n' roll is gonna see us through cuz it thrills my soul just to be with you.
Ref.: We're gonna rock -woowoo-- on the Midnight Train. You rock; I'll roll. Woowoo. We're gonna go insane

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The vocal sounded fine to me. Well, except for that gargle at 3:15. wink

And the woodblock certainly did sound good.

Not really much to comment on, other than to say that I enjoyed the song. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love the train noise via bass at the beginning.
Your vocal, with that bit of sibilant treatment, is fine, fine, fine.
Mr Bell is , as always, on point & on fire.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The bass sounds really great, and you used the style really effectively. I enjoyed all the little extra touches you included in your finished product. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool tune. I haven't heard a wood block in a song since I was in the middle school orchestra in the percussion section. Actually I was the only percussionist in the orchestra.
The style and groove matches the topic nicely.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Marty,

Love the opening of this song—sets up that locomotion mood . . . and the song just rolls on from there. Terrific write, and of course David’s smoking guitar work. I don’t find your vocal pitchy at all—seems to fit right in with the mix; and it sounds like you had a lot of fun laying it down. Real good stuff, Marty—enjoyed it a ton!

All my best,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,
Cool toe tapping tune! Amazing vocal performance!! Dave is right on the spot, his cup of tea for sure. Bass shines. Mix, arrangement is radio quality. Smooth collaboration. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. That Melodyne thing... yeah it works for some. I used it on couple of tunes... uninstalled it and it went bye bye. Never looked back. Your vocals do not need this mojo.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
The vocal sounded fine to me. Well, except for that gargle at 3:15. wink

And the woodblock certainly did sound good.

Not really much to comment on, other than to say that I enjoyed the song. laugh

Thanks, David. Haha. That gargle is me (accidently) imitating Bobby Blue Bland. He'd do that and the girls would go crazy. Never understood it, but...

Originally Posted By: rayc
Love the train noise via bass at the beginning.
Your vocal, with that bit of sibilant treatment, is fine, fine, fine.
Mr Bell is , as always, on point & on fire.

Thanks, Ray. That opening bass was a quick pan from left to center. I tried that with Dave's opening and the ending to give a doppler effect, but it really didn't work.

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
The bass sounds really great, and you used the style really effectively. I enjoyed all the little extra touches you included in your finished product. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Ember. Those Utility Tracks is a brilliant idea, and so easy to work with. Now I have to worry about creating that dreaded Phil Spector Wall Of Sound.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool tune. I haven't heard a wood block in a song since I was in the middle school orchestra in the percussion section. Actually I was the only percussionist in the orchestra.
The style and groove matches the topic nicely.

Haha, Right, Herb? That must mean you mastered the triangle too. You stuff is always a treat to listen to.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,
A good rocker with no rust on it- your vocals have a gravelly quality that suits the song and Dave`s contribution is awesome.
Some nice old stock you are rolling out!

Robert

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi BabuMusic,

This is really well done. Your composition is very dancing and the arrangement pleasant. I enjoyed the guitar solo and the choir.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Last edited by Derochette; 04/04/21 10:30 AM.

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I can imagine this midnight train, hot night "You rock; I'll roll", "one-track mind". Excellent fun lyrics.
Dave's mood matching solo, the colorful and expressive vocals mixed well, the excellent backing band, nothing to complain on this railroad ride. And the woodblock was almost the best part, nice addition wink

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty / Dave, this is excellent! Great song and vocal - blistering guitar!

Loved it!

Bob

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
You sounded like you enjoyed this one. I did too.

Vic

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marty,

You did it again with your song; making me smile and even tap my feet (both).
I liked the start of your song very much. Very cool how you imagined that train!
And of course Dave had a very beautiful solo.
Loved your midnight train, man!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty

Some of the best woodblock playing I've ever heard.

Great song, really engaging - nice photos as well.

The bass and Dave's guitar were superb.

Excellent all round work.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Marty,

Love the opening of this song—sets up that locomotion mood . . . and the song just rolls on from there. Terrific write, and of course David’s smoking guitar work. I don’t find your vocal pitchy at all—seems to fit right in with the mix; and it sounds like you had a lot of fun laying it down. Real good stuff, Marty—enjoyed it a ton!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks, Deej. Glad you liked that opening. I tried panning the end of Dave's opening for a continued doppler effect, but it wasn't right musically. Thanks also for overlooking the pitchiness. Melodyne just flashes "Really? Are you serious?"

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty,
Cool toe tapping tune! Amazing vocal performance!! Dave is right on the spot, his cup of tea for sure. Bass shines. Mix, arrangement is radio quality. Smooth collaboration. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. That Melodyne thing... yeah it works for some. I used it on couple of tunes... uninstalled it and it went bye bye. Never looked back. Your vocals do not need this mojo.

Thanks, Misha. Dave's guitar can make any song better. What's cool is how one of us already has a part done when the other gets to lay down a track. It amazes me how well we play together when we're not together. He is a master. I had planned to change my bass after I got his solo, but he played so well with what was there, that I had to let it go.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Marty,
A good rocker with no rust on it- your vocals have a gravelly quality that suits the song and Dave`s contribution is awesome.
Some nice old stock you are rolling out!

Robert

Thanks, Robert. There is currently a bottleneck of new stuff sitting half baked in BiaB waiting for some creative attention.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,

Cool rockin' Blues song.

Excellent vocal! And bass! (of course!!!).
Dave's guitar is smokin' (as always).

Excellent mix.

Toe-tappin' fun. Much enjoyed.

fj

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
It's dawned on me what your writing style seems to be. You write a lyric like I cuss. You know all the "words" and it's at least possible your listener has as well. But you arrange them and present them in ways that make the ear perk and the smile break. Cool.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well done. Good rocker. Good base line, fine electric guitar playing, and the band chugged alone in time. Cool photos on the video too. Good production folks.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

We are train fans so we were in from the get go.

Loved the vid phots -- cool fx on them. Nice group photo smile

The operative word here is FUN.

Say whatcha will about the vocals but they always sound passionate and sincere to us.

Great guitar and bass performances keep this thing chuggin' right along.

Enjoyed both the video and SC versions!

J&B

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,459
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195