Options
Index
#650254 - 04/06/21 12:41 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] 2021 Overhaul
Loc: France, but I'm an ex-pat Brit
mglinert Offline
Expert

Hi to all,
I am in the process of overhauling my home music studio and am facing some software choices.
I know that many of you use alternative software to Power Tracks Pro Audio(PTPA).
I am in the process of evaluating Reaper in this regard.
My questions are as follows:
- what can these suites do that PTPA can't?
- how long has it taken you to gain enough proficiency in Reaper (or StudioOne etc) to be able to produce music with it?
- I am finding Reaper to be a huge step backwards in its capcity to manage MIDI (or at least in the ease of use of the programme). DId you have a similar experience?
Thanks,
Marc

Edited by mglinert (04/06/21 12:41 AM)

#650450 - 04/07/21 04:30 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: 2021 Overhaul [Re: mglinert]
Loc: Mi., USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Others can use VST3, for one.
Then again they don't have Realdrums.

As far as MIDI in Reaper; it doesn't have some of the features PT has due to PT starting back when MIDI was all it did.
I do kind of like how you can create a 4 bar MIDI and just drag the end of it to cause it to loop for as many bars as you want in Reaper. Faster than Copy/Paste sometimes.
But you'll miss things like the Data Filter, dedicated MIDI track functions, etc.

They are all different, otherwise there would only need to be just one <grin>

#650463 - 04/07/21 05:52 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: 2021 Overhaul [Re: rharv]
justanoldmuso Online   content
Journeyman

To the OP(mglinert) and rharv.
although i started on Powertraks in days of yore, and yes the midi features were/are extensive; i must be fair.
reapers midi features are now extensive.
it would take a couple of days just to view all the midi vids at reaper.fm

sorry to the op , but it would take a looong time for me to list all the features.
thus just go to the vids labelled "midi & virtual instruments" at reaper.fm , and clik on it. a slew of midi vids will appear.
it will take you a couple of days to view all the extensive features and tips by kenny who is a grammy winner.
he really knows his stuff.

heres just one of many relating to just midi data filter. <<note rharv.
(also look at the reaps stash and js midi util plug ins sometime.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GId0W5402BI

there is just a slew of grrreat vids on reaper on you tube, as there are on pg's grrreat products.
in fact in my own song projects i often mix both pg plug ins,
and reaper plug ins.
my main programs i use are biab/rb/reaper all the way.

ps. go carefully through the reaper stash sometime, there are little utility nuggets to be found and features; just like one would find cool features deep down in biab and rb and powertraks. frankly mglinert i dont think its one daw versus another all are usefull.

best
oldmuso

Edited by justanoldmuso (04/07/21 05:58 AM)

#650679 - 04/08/21 01:25 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: 2021 Overhaul [Re: mglinert]
mglinert Offline
Expert

Many thanks for these responses.
On the particular Copy/Paste comment Rharv you can tell PTPA to copy a selection of MIDI bars as many times as you like in the 'Paste' window, but I'm sure you knew that!
I've got a lot of catching up to do...stayed too long with the same setup.
I don't know what VST1 and 2 are, never mind 3!
I'm making (slow) progress with Reaper. Very friendly and helpful forum there too.
I take the point about all the DAWS being different - so far I've looked at StudioOne and Reaper.
Marc

#650691 - 04/08/21 04:14 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: 2021 Overhaul [Re: mglinert]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Yes, Reaper has a learning curve, but as you noticed their support/forum is very helpful, much like here.

As someone else mentioned; watch some videos; Reaper can do most things, but it is a different approach.
And there are lots of videos.

I usually use RB/PT as long as I can because of familiarity/comfort, but I will move to Reaper when needed.
I also discovered you can open a RB/PT project, and then open a Reaper project and simply drag the desired tracks from one to the other (as long as Tempo/Key match) and keep moving.

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Dutch for Windows is Here!

We zijn bezig geweest en hebben 80 nieuwe functies toegevoegd en een verbazingwekkende collectie van nieuwe inhoud, inclusief 202 RealTracks, nieuwe RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumentale Studies, Artiest Uitvoeringen, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", RealDrums transcripties, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Stijlen PAK 10 en meer!

Nieuwe Functies | Pakketten

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Danish for Windows is Here!

Vi har haft travlt, og har tilføjet 80 nye funktioner og en fantastisk samling af nyt indhold, bl.a. 202 RealTracks, nye RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transsriptioner, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 og meget mere!

Hvan er Nyt | Pakker

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Update Available!

The latest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 update for Windows enhances the JukeBox, adds a "Set all tracks to this:" option to the MIDI import dialog, improves chord sheet view during playback, and more!

Learn more & download this free update.

Read the patch announcement.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Swedish for Windows is Here!

Vi har varit flitiga och lagt till över 80 nya funktioner och en fantastisk samling av nytt innehåll, innefattande 202 RealTracks, nya RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, med mera!

Paket | Vad är nytt

Update Your RealBand 2021 Today!

The latest version of RealBand 2021 is ready to download and add to your existing 2021 installation!

With this update we've addressed many user reported issues. We brought back the option to save mono WMA files, made Band-in-a-Box notation slurs visible in RealBand notation, decreased the frequency of warning messages about sampling rates, added program stability when selecting FlexASIO driver, and more!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Audio Edit Window Tips!

In Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows you can view the audio on any track in the Audio Edit Window.

While you're there, check out the new hotkeys we've added:

-Home key: moves the cursor to the beginning of a track.
-Home+Shift keys: move the left cursor to the beginning of a track.
-End key: moves the cursor to the end of a track.
-End+Shift keys: move the right cursor to the end of a track.
-Ctrl+A keys: select the whole track.

Jump to this topic in our New Features video.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Chord Sheet Improvements!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2021 we added some handy features to the Chord Sheet, which you can now copy-and-paste chords into with simple text! There are new zoom buttons, part-marker time signature display, additions to the right-click menu, and more. We've even updated the Chord Sheet to resize and make more room for the improved Mixer Window!

We've highlighted some of these additions within our 2021 New Features Video:

Easy changing of lines per page & bars per line 17:49
Time signature displays on main page 18:50
Visual transpose in main screen display 19:05
Visual transpose setting in notation 19:48
Copy and Paste chords 60:04

Forum Stats
34207 Members
67 Forums
68982 Topics
592173 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM