Options
Index
#650278 - 04/06/21 04:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] 2 unsolved items
Loc: UK
Jazzman Offline
Expert

There are two outstanding problems that were not present in 2020 -

1. in the mixer panel the TONE TAB is missing but the number boxes are still there -

2. In the mixer panel when I try to change an instrument it just flips back to the
previous instrument on tune start

jazzman

#650282 - 04/06/21 04:47 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: 2 unsolved items [Re: Jazzman]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi,

TONE
If you set the mixer to a floating mixer and then drag the left edge to expand its view, the Tone region will appear. When the mixer is small, the right-most input box allows entry of tone values but the name "Tone" in not above the column (it's too narrow).

INSTRUMENT
I'm guessing that you're referring to MIDI.

Have you updated to the latest patch? I know that "working with MIDI" has undergone a few modifications in some of the updates.

Is it possible that you are using a MIDI file that has the patch set?

Regards,
Noel

#650293 - 04/06/21 07:00 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: 2 unsolved items [Re: Noel96]
Jazzman Offline
Expert

Hi Noel

Thanks for your welcome reply and suggestions

My real concern is that these are both missing from last year and before

I am using the latest posted patch of 827 although I am aware that patch 829 is being worked on

Yes it is a midi file melody instrument I am trying to change

I don't honestly see why I should go throough extra TONE actions when it has always been there before, surely it is easy to solve by adjusting the other tabs

You must forgive me Noel for getting lazy in my old age but they both worked when I was a little younger -like last year

jazzman

#650302 - 04/06/21 08:07 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: 2 unsolved items [Re: Jazzman]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I agree, the behavior changed in version 2021 for the Tone column header, which as I’ve posted before in Tips & Tricks, was disguised enough as it was. Many users may not know that widening the mixer will change the tone column from a number to a more user-friendly slider.

Jazzman is also correct about how to make this better. When a window (in Windows!) is resized smaller, I would like to see each column width reduced (volume, pan) instead of robbing the space just from Tone. Even if the column headings shrank to one or two characters, that would be preferable to one of them disappearing.
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam sub & monitors

#650323 - 04/06/21 10:49 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: 2 unsolved items [Re: Jazzman]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

It's not just the "Tone" name that disappears. If one drags the left edge of the mixture until it becomes "miniature mode", the heading for each of the columns disappear from right to left.

The boxes for entering values never disappear, though.

If one positions the mouse cursor over an entry box, holds the mouse cursor down and then drags the mouse up or down, the values can be added very easily.

In the "miniature mode" image below, boxes from left to right are: Volume, Pan, Reverb, Tone (this never changes). I've highlighted the Tone entry boxes on the image.

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

#650455 - 04/07/21 05:04 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: 2 unsolved items [Re: Jazzman]
Loc: Lake Keowee, South Carolina
MountainSide Offline
Expert

Jazzman, as Noel suggested, I'm assuming what you're talking about is higher bank MIDI patch changes on the Thru track when using an external synth module and a .PAT patch map file.

In previous years versions of BIAB, you could change MIDI patches on the Thru track, replay the song from the beginning and the song would play with the new patch as long as you didn't do a "Save" or "Save As". You could do this over and over again auditioning new patches every time you restarted the song. If you did do a "Save / Save As", the song would then be saved with that new patch and the song would use that patch from then on.

This all changed in 2021 for reasons unknown to me. Now, it seems that a song is locked into whatever MIDI patch that is used on the Thru track when the song is first saved. Any change of that patch on the Thru track will be ignored when the song is replayed even if you use the "File...save special...save song with patches and harmonies" pull-down.

For me, this is the most frustrating thing about BIAB 2021. I can't start a song with a new MID patch on the Thru track, it always reverts to the old patch every time the song is replayed. Forget about auditioning sounds. This has required a major change in my workflow.

This behavior does makes some sense though...frustrating as it is! When you play the song from the beginning, the programs pulls in all of the previously saved parameters...Realtracks, styles, volume setting, reverb etc...including the MIDI patch that was saved on the Thru track when the song was first saved.

After weeks of frustration with this, multiple 2021 version updates later and after posting several postings about this on the beta tester forum...I think have found a way around this behavior.

1. Open a song that you have previously saved that has a higher bank Thru track patch assigned to it

2. In the upper left hand corner of BIAB, click on "File...Save Special...Save Song with Patches and Harmonies". This will open a pull down box called "Assign Instruments and Harmonies to the Song".

3. Make sure the Thru track is checked "on" on the left side

4. Here's, the secret: click on the right side of the pulldown for the Thru track and regardless of what it says select " 0 No Patch change". This will result in the mixer on the right of BIAB immediately showing <Instrument 0 No Patch change> on the Thru track.

5. You can either save the song now with these new settings or audition new higher bank patch with each new play.

6. Once you make this Step 4 change, you can freely audition new Thru track changes midway through a song or from the beginning with each new play.

7. Once you find what you like, again save the song with a new or the same name

8. Now when you pull up the song again, even days later, you will still be able to freely audition new higher bank Thru track patches and play the song from the beginning with the new patch.

Long winded yes, don't know why this works, but it does. I hope that might help you too.

Jeff
Win10, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2021, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 5.8, SampleTank 4.13

#650460 - 04/07/21 05:17 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: 2 unsolved items [Re: Jazzman]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Thanks for typing such a detailed reply, Jeff.

I picked up a few things as I read through it! Much appreciated.

Noel

#650493 - 04/07/21 10:52 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: 2 unsolved items [Re: MountainSide]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
Jazzman, as Noel suggested, I'm assuming what you're talking about is higher bank MIDI patch changes on the Thru track when using an external synth module and a .PAT patch map file.

In previous years versions of BIAB, you could change MIDI patches on the Thru track, replay the song from the beginning and the song would play with the new patch as long as you didn't do a "Save" or "Save As". You could do this over and over again auditioning new patches every time you restarted the song. If you did do a "Save / Save As", the song would then be saved with that new patch and the song would use that patch from then on.

This all changed in 2021 for reasons unknown to me. Now, it seems that a song is locked into whatever MIDI patch that is used on the Thru track when the song is first saved. Any change of that patch on the Thru track will be ignored when the song is replayed even if you use the "File...save special...save song with patches and harmonies" pull-down.

For me, this is the most frustrating thing about BIAB 2021. I can't start a song with a new MID patch on the Thru track, it always reverts to the old patch every time the song is replayed. Forget about auditioning sounds. This has required a major change in my workflow.

This behavior does makes some sense though...frustrating as it is! When you play the song from the beginning, the programs pulls in all of the previously saved parameters...Realtracks, styles, volume setting, reverb etc...including the MIDI patch that was saved on the Thru track when the song was first saved.

After weeks of frustration with this, multiple 2021 version updates later and after posting several postings about this on the beta tester forum...I think have found a way around this behavior.

1. Open a song that you have previously saved that has a higher bank Thru track patch assigned to it

2. In the upper left hand corner of BIAB, click on "File...Save Special...Save Song with Patches and Harmonies". This will open a pull down box called "Assign Instruments and Harmonies to the Song".

3. Make sure the Thru track is checked "on" on the left side

4. Here's, the secret: click on the right side of the pulldown for the Thru track and regardless of what it says select " 0 No Patch change". This will result in the mixer on the right of BIAB immediately showing <Instrument 0 No Patch change> on the Thru track.

5. You can either save the song now with these new settings or audition new higher bank patch with each new play.

6. Once you make this Step 4 change, you can freely audition new Thru track changes midway through a song or from the beginning with each new play.

7. Once you find what you like, again save the song with a new or the same name

8. Now when you pull up the song again, even days later, you will still be able to freely audition new higher bank Thru track patches and play the song from the beginning with the new patch.

Long winded yes, don't know why this works, but it does. I hope that might help you too.

Jeff

Jeff, Please post these 8 steps in Tips & Tricks. May I suggest naming the post: "Testing MIDI Instrument Patches On THRU". Thanks in advance.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 2004, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#650600 - 04/08/21 03:42 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: 2 unsolved items [Re: MountainSide]
Jazzman Offline
Expert

Hi Jeff

Thanks for your detailed comments and yes I can make it happen the long way around but in 2020 it worked as it should

In trying to do what I did last year I have not connected to a DAW or higher bank

Just plain and simple using the midi BB melody instrument area - vibes to say Four Freshmen but doing this in the Mixer window with 2021 does not work as it did in 2020 because it just keeps flipping back to the previous selection on pressing play, even though I had made a prior save

The TONE number boxes are there but I knew that from using it on Matt Finley's excellent advice a year or so ago. Someone new to the program in 2021 would miss this useful function

I have solved the problem for now (until this is resolved) by reverting to 2020 and all is working fine

Thanks for your suggestions

Edited by Jazzman (04/08/21 03:47 AM)

#650620 - 04/08/21 06:26 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: 2 unsolved items [Re: Jim Fogle]
MountainSide Offline
Expert

Jim, I've posted these steps in the tips section. Thanks for the suggestion, hope it might help others.

Jeff
Win10, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2021, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 5.8, SampleTank 4.13

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Dutch for Windows is Here!

We zijn bezig geweest en hebben 80 nieuwe functies toegevoegd en een verbazingwekkende collectie van nieuwe inhoud, inclusief 202 RealTracks, nieuwe RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumentale Studies, Artiest Uitvoeringen, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", RealDrums transcripties, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Stijlen PAK 10 en meer!

Nieuwe Functies | Pakketten

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Danish for Windows is Here!

Vi har haft travlt, og har tilføjet 80 nye funktioner og en fantastisk samling af nyt indhold, bl.a. 202 RealTracks, nye RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transsriptioner, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 og meget mere!

Hvan er Nyt | Pakker

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Update Available!

The latest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 update for Windows enhances the JukeBox, adds a "Set all tracks to this:" option to the MIDI import dialog, improves chord sheet view during playback, and more!

Learn more & download this free update.

Read the patch announcement.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Swedish for Windows is Here!

Vi har varit flitiga och lagt till över 80 nya funktioner och en fantastisk samling av nytt innehåll, innefattande 202 RealTracks, nya RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, med mera!

Paket | Vad är nytt

Update Your RealBand 2021 Today!

The latest version of RealBand 2021 is ready to download and add to your existing 2021 installation!

With this update we've addressed many user reported issues. We brought back the option to save mono WMA files, made Band-in-a-Box notation slurs visible in RealBand notation, decreased the frequency of warning messages about sampling rates, added program stability when selecting FlexASIO driver, and more!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Audio Edit Window Tips!

In Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows you can view the audio on any track in the Audio Edit Window.

While you're there, check out the new hotkeys we've added:

-Home key: moves the cursor to the beginning of a track.
-Home+Shift keys: move the left cursor to the beginning of a track.
-End key: moves the cursor to the end of a track.
-End+Shift keys: move the right cursor to the end of a track.
-Ctrl+A keys: select the whole track.

Jump to this topic in our New Features video.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Chord Sheet Improvements!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2021 we added some handy features to the Chord Sheet, which you can now copy-and-paste chords into with simple text! There are new zoom buttons, part-marker time signature display, additions to the right-click menu, and more. We've even updated the Chord Sheet to resize and make more room for the improved Mixer Window!

We've highlighted some of these additions within our 2021 New Features Video:

Easy changing of lines per page & bars per line 17:49
Time signature displays on main page 18:50
Visual transpose in main screen display 19:05
Visual transpose setting in notation 19:48
Copy and Paste chords 60:04

Forum Stats
34207 Members
67 Forums
68982 Topics
592165 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM