You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#651033 - 04/11/21 12:27 PM [User Showcase] MAGIC TOUCH
Henry Clarke Offline
Apprentice

I'm not really a Smooth Jazz guy (and it's very little of it in this forum), but I'm demoing styles in BIAB and came across this riff that I just couldn't resist flushing a song out for. It's the rhythm that really captured me. After looping the bars over and over the words "Magic Touch" just popped into my head. From there putting the rest of the song together was not too hard. I actually write better from the "Hook" down. I know everyone has there method but that one works best for me. Not sure if I'm going to remix and release it since this isn't really my genre but I'll see how it goes.

https://youtu.be/zaDIgV0YZvs

Style - _ELTANGO.STY (Electric Tango Jazz Funk)
Bass - Acoustic 917
Drums - Smooth Jazz Cool SW16
Piano - E Piano 906
Guitar 1 - Electric Rhythm 1073
Loop - House Techno Trance emotions 127
Realtracks added:
Sax - Tenor Soloist 1062
Organ - B3 689
Guitar 2 - Soul Guitar 1399
Guitar 3 - Rhythm Guitar 1403
Guitar 4 - Guitar Soloist 1237
Strings - Strings 2952

Equipment:
Band in a Box 2021
Shure PG-42 Microphone
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO USB Interface
Dell XPS w/20GB RAM
DAW: SONAR X3 Producer

Plugins:
Antares Autotune
Antares Vocal Harmonizer
iZotope Nectar2
PX-64 Percussion Strip
Breverb by Cakewalk

Lead Vocal FX Chain:
Nomad PEQ3B EQ
Nomad CP2S Compressor
Nomad Vintage Oilcan Echo TLE2S
Nomad Blueverb

#651034 - 04/11/21 12:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Loc: Belgium
Derochette Offline
Expert

Loc: Belgium
Hi Henry,

Very well orchestrated composition. The mix is ​​impeccable. The whole is nice. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

#651057 - 04/11/21 03:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Loc: NJ
Soundchaser Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NJ
Great groove. Excellent vocals and mix, and interesting chord progressions.

https://soundcloud.com/rtk-iv

#651079 - 04/11/21 04:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really pleasant song!!! The groove is infectious! I usually write R and B from the hook outward myself, so I like the idea! Everything here works very well from my perspective!! Take care. Greg

#651111 - 04/11/21 10:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
As Greg said, a very pleasant sound.

Sounds great on my headphones! But through my speakers the vocal seems distance and lost in reverb.

Solid work, I enjoyed several listens. smile

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#651168 - 04/12/21 08:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
F.M.M. Offline
Veteran

Hi Henry this is excellent great mix everything fits great love the vocals and arrangement well done thanks for sharing Eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#651217 - 04/12/21 01:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Henry,
Very nice, airy tune! Excellent bed and vocals. Great barbed hook smile
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#651231 - 04/12/21 03:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Tangmo Online   content
Expert

Easy to see how the rhythm section inspired the desire to write. Very romantic and slow-dancey. The progression is lovely and that "Magic Touch" title hooks really sweet. Arrangement and production are top notch. That includes the vocal melody and harmonies.

I'm not really a "listen-to-the-lyrics first" guy usually, but it's worth mentioning that I think your vocal here is soft-enough to not need as much further softening with the reverb. There wasn't much else of the lyric I could make out, so it all depends on how you want to "present".

Anyway, an impressive overall piece and I very much enjoyed moving around with it.

Edited by Tangmo (04/12/21 03:09 PM)
BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#651414 - 04/14/21 12:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Hey Henry . Great song and the mix is outstanding. Regards to you.
Rob4580

#651472 - 04/14/21 09:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Excellent tune. Super vocal. Well done

#651494 - 04/14/21 11:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

It doesn't matter if you write top to bottom, inside to the out, upside down and backwards..... this works.

Nice work. I can come up with easy listening jazz but I don't often pursue that genre because I don't write the words that work or sing it particularly well. You however, have done a good job on this.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#651558 - 04/14/21 09:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Guitarhacker]
Henry Clarke Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
It doesn't matter if you write top to bottom, inside to the out, upside down and backwards..... this works.

Nice work. I can come up with easy listening jazz but I don't often pursue that genre because I don't write the words that work or sing it particularly well. You however, have done a good job on this.

Hmmmmm ... Herb, Quoting you "it doesn't matter if you write top to bottom, inside out, upside down and backwards ..." I think there's a song in that line :-)

#651743 - 04/15/21 06:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
One of the best musicians on the user forum IMHO and this did not disappoint. I did think the vocal could have been more prominent in the mix, but still very enjoyable. Excellent work!

#653150 - 04/25/21 08:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Henry Clarke Offline
Apprentice

Thanks all for the kind words on Magic Touch. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to listen and comment.

Ok, I've done my Jazz song. Now on to old Skool 70's RnB and Reggae !! yay !!! :-)

#654310 - 05/03/21 06:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
SMOOOOOOTH!
Just what I needed to chill me out tonight.

moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#654347 - 05/04/21 01:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Absolutely extraordinarily good.

This is hauntingly exceptional. Everything fits so perfectly.

Another quality production from you, Henry. Yes, extraordinarily good.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#654355 - 05/04/21 05:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: MAGIC TOUCH [Re: Henry Clarke]
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Henry,

All sounded great to me - well done.

Singing and BV's - perfect.

Backing - hypnotic drum and bass groove and lots of interest from keys, guitar and sax.

Best Regards
Nigel

PG Music News
RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Forum Stats
34908 Members
66 Forums
70922 Topics
614455 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
marcel75, fabfr3, RonF, 123456789, Steen2103

34907 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 222
VideoTrack 218