You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#650121 - 04/04/21 11:34 PM [User Showcase] Mama’s Back Yard by my friend Nick Oldert
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Hello friends.
Sorry I have been a bit absent on here. Still doing lots of music but mostly hang out on Facebook and YouTube.

A friend asked me to show him what was possible with BIAB so he came round with a newly minted song and we put this together in a couple of hours. Needless to say he was blown away.

The bad news is that he wants me to do the same for an album full of his songs and I am not sure I can spend the time.

Here is the song. Vocals, harmonica and guitar by Nick. The rest by band in a box.

Lyrics:

By a [C]small unmarked headstone in the [F]shade of a tree
There's a [C]veiled grieving widow who [G]prays on one knee
There is [C]corn in the fields, there are [F]clouds in the sky
And the [C]old grieving [G]widow has a [C]tear in her eye

She's alone in the world now her family's all gone
She knows that her son is the one who done wrong
She prays for redemption, she prays for his soul
And she prays that the boy won't get out on parole

There's a [C]time for regrets, there's a [F]time to be glad
There's a [C]time to be happy, there's a [G7]time to be sad
There's a [C]time to be [C7]loving, there's a [F]time to be hard
But [C]never hide dead [G]bodies in your [C]mama's back yard

She told sheriff Brady how her boy shot his wife
How she only tried to scare him with that big carving knife
The boy told a story how his wife ran away
But mama showed the sheriff to the place where she lay

There's a time to be righteous, there's a time to be true
There's a time to retreat and a time to push through
There's a time to bet high and to play your last card
But never hide dead bodies in your mama's back yard

{C: Bridge}
Oh, [F]how mama loved that [C]daughter-in-law
Her [G]dowry was bigger than the [G7]whole of Arkansas

There's time to be tender there's a time to be strong
There's a time to be steadfast, to forget who's done wrong
There's a time to be loyal and to go post that bail
And a time to keep the cash and let the boy rot in jail

#650122 - 04/04/21 11:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Mama’s Back Yard by my friend Nick Oldert [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: SA, Australia
It's a yes from me. Enjoyed my listen smile

#650194 - 04/05/21 01:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Mama’s Back Yard by my friend Nick Oldert [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Joanna,

Glad to see you back!
I was expecting to hear you sing, but I heard Jonny Cash!
That was quite a surprise.
It's a very pleasant song, but I rather hear your voice too if it would become a whole album.

I expect your friend will be on this forum very soon, since he saw what BiaB can do for him?

Have a nice day,
Hans

#650213 - 04/05/21 05:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Mama’s Back Yard by my friend Nick Oldert [Re: JoanneCooper]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Good job. Yep. BB never fails to impress.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#650754 - 04/09/21 02:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mama’s Back Yard by my friend Nick Oldert [Re: JoanneCooper]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Ghostgum, Hans and Herb. Thank you so much for giving it a listen! I appreciate it. I am hoping we will see some of Nic's music on the forum soon. I have been reviving some of my old songs and can see that most of them need re-recording (and a touch of re-writing!!) It is nice to see the progress and I will be posting here again shortly.

#650775 - 04/09/21 08:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mama’s Back Yard by my friend Nick Oldert [Re: JoanneCooper]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Veteran

Joanne, Nick
Clever folk themed tune. Composed and performed very well. Excellent vocals.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#651628 - 04/15/21 08:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Mama’s Back Yard by my friend Nick Oldert [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
Nice one Joanne,
Band sounds great and the lyrics tell a sad tale with a touch of humor.
I really liked the vocals and the mix is very well done.

moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#651725 - 04/15/21 05:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Mama’s Back Yard by my friend Nick Oldert [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
I have to admit when I saw your name I was really looking forward to hearing your wonderful voice again. But Nic did yeoman work and I enjoyed what he did. Good work all!

#651727 - 04/15/21 05:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Mama’s Back Yard by my friend Nick Oldert [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
A beautiful song as always! I especially loved the touches that Nick added with the harmonica. It really gave the song some extra character. Thanks for sharing!

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Russian for Windows is Here!

Мы хорошо потрудились и добавили 80 новых функций и изумительную коллекцию нового контента, включая 202 стиля RealTracks, новые стили RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, инструментальные этюды (Instrumental Studies), записи профессионального живого исполнения (Artist Performances), поставляемые в качестве бонуса отдельные инструменты RealDrums (RealDrums "Singles"), транскрипции стилей RealDrums, набор мультистилей MultiStyles PAK 1, набор экстра-стилей Xtra Styles PAK 10 и др.!

новых | Пакеты

Just Released - Xtra Styles PAK 11 for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows!

We've added 200 exciting new RealStyles with the just-released Xtra Styles PAK 11 for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows - 50 each for Jazz 11, Country 11, Rock & Pop 11, and Half & Double Time 1!

We think you'll love the new RealStyles and MultiStyles added with Xtra Styles PAK 11, which includes new sounds like modern reggaeton, medieval-inspired folk pop, Americana power ballad, speakeasy vocal jazz, R&B and reggae fusion, and more!

Video: Xtra Styles PAK 11 Demos for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows

XTRA STYLES PAKS ARE ON SALE UNTIL MAY 31st! During our Xtra Styles PAK 11 special, all of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-11 are on sale for just $29 each (reg. $49)! Looking for more Xtra Styles PAKs? Until May 31st, you can purchase our complete library of all 1,800+ RealStyles with the Xtra Styles PAK 1-11 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)! Learn more & order now.

Interested in a specific genre? These can be purchased for $15 each - pick & choose here.

NOTE: Xtra Styles PAKs require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition version 2020 or 2021. (Xtra Styles PAK 11 requires the 2021 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition.) Xtra Styles PAKs won't work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Learn more & listen to demos of Xtra Styles PAK 11.

Get To Know the Band-in-a-Box® Song Settings

Want to customize your Band-in-a-Box® song? Head into the Song Settings window to adjust settings for endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, chord embellishments, and more!

To access Song Settings in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows, use Ctrl+N or choose the Edit | Song Form | Settings (for This Song) option.

Looking to mix up the styles playing for each chorus? You can do that!

Want Pedal Bass in your middle chorus? You can do that too!

Hoping to fade the ending to your song? Also an option from within this window!

There are additional Ending options, RealTracks options (including half-time/double-time, 'bluesy' solos, Natural Arrangements, etc.), and more!

Learn more about Band-in-a-Box® Song Settings.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Documentation Today!

Download the latest Update for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows to access the updated PDF manual and updated help file.

We've also addressed user reported concerns regarding Plugins Options, Drum Kit window MIDI events, the 2 bar lead-in for exported MIDI files, read-only Audio tracks, and more!

The latest update is available for FREE to all Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Windows users.

Learn more and download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Estamos ocupados e adicionamos 80 novos recursos e uma coleção incrível de novos conteúdos, incluindo 202 RealTracks, novos RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Estudos Instrumentais, Performances de Artistas, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", transcrições de RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 e mais!

Novas Funções | Pacotes

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Spanish for Windows is Here!

En PG Music tenemos el placer de anunciar la disponibilidad de Band-in-a-Box 2021 en Español. Despues de arduo trabajo hemos agregado, entre otras cosas, 80 funciones nuevas y una gran colección de nuevas incorporaciones y contenido que incluyen 202 RealTracks, nuevos RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Estudios Instrumentales, Interpretaciones de Artistas, RealDrums 'Single' adicionales, transcripciones de RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 ¡y mucho mas!

Nuevas características | Todos los Paquetes

New Update Available for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 today!

We've applied some updates to a variety of Add-ons, improved transcriptions and simple tags, resolved playback issues with MIDI tracks, and more. Plus, this free update adds the latest DAW Plugin 3.46!

Learn more & download now.

Forum Stats
34343 Members
67 Forums
69343 Topics
596004 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Xerto, Robot, Lyle Bradford, Paul Harman, Michael Lawlor

34343 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 201