Options
Index
#652713 - 04/23/21 09:07 AM [User Showcase] Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Offline
Journeyman

Spark In The Night

A Jazzy Blues Song about a relationship break-up.

Featuring:
Vocals - Susan de Jong
Guitar - Mike Arthur
Organ - Nigel Spiers

Written and produced by Nigel Spiers

The backing instruments are all MIDI using the BIAB -BLTRACY.STY Style.

Another song from the album US Odyssey

Best Regards
Nigel

Edited by NigelSpiers (04/23/21 09:22 AM)

#653134 - 04/25/21 05:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
NigelSpiers Offline
Journeyman

Hi Folks,

I forgot to mention - all musicians are from Christchurch, New Zealand.

Are there any other contributors here from New Zealand?

I would love to hear your songs.

Best Regards
Nigel

#653148 - 04/25/21 08:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
Henry Clarke Offline
Apprentice

Ok Nigel ... This is my kind of song !!! :-) Man you can sing and play this anywhere and get a great response. Great rhythm, SOULFUL singing ... this one had me tapping my foot and rocking my head back and forth. One of the best blues songs I've heard on the forum. Playing is excellent and SHE CAN SING !! I actually smiled when I clicked on it. Also thanks for NOT posting lyrics. I don't need to read lyrics. It's a song and not a poem :-) I want the singer to capture me with their phrasing and not get caught up on what exact word they used. Again, a fun track to listen to. Reminds me of my days in the "beer joints" back in the day in Virginia !! :-)

#653160 - 04/25/21 10:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Hi, Nigel.

Solid blues intro. Vocalist (Susan) sounds great, guitar (Mike) is sneaking in nice licks between phrases - nice work on the solo.

I'm curious what VSTi you're using for the drum.

The mix sounds great through my headphones. smile

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#653170 - 04/25/21 11:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
Loc: Queensland, Australia
mkg50 (Mike G) Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Queensland, Australia
Great song Nigel and a very professional sound. your live trio sounds like it works together often.
Nice touches everywhere - vocals, guitar, organ, production.
Cheers,
Mike

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172

#653172 - 04/25/21 11:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
NigelSpiers Offline
Journeyman

Hi David,

Drums - good question - I think it was just the good old Coyote. But this was initially written way back in 2006 when the Real Drums made their first appearance so maybe it was a Real drums track.

I am a huge fan of Real Drums and Real Tracks however when I go back and listen to some of those all MIDI styles - some of them were simply inspired!

Best Regards
Nigel

#653252 - 04/26/21 12:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Nigel,

An enjoyable listen. Nice song.

Susan's vocal is excellent. Mike's guitar is sweet - kind of a mix of Mark Knopfler and Robert Cray (hard to beat that combination).

Good mix. Enjoyed.

fj

#653291 - 04/26/21 03:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Very nice blues, some excellent singing and lovely playing.

Don't think there are a lot of people posting from New Zealand here, a few Australians (like me).

Peter

Edited by PeterF (04/26/21 05:32 PM)

#653311 - 04/26/21 04:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Outstanding blues! I got a Robert Cray, Peaches, Leon Russel, and George Benson jam vibe for this one.

Excellent blues that you all should be very proud.

I loved this!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#653316 - 04/26/21 06:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
Loc: Washington State
bluage Offline
Expert

Loc: Washington State
Mr. Spiers...

Nicely-done blues number served with a side-order of hot and spicy funk sauce to lick off of your fingers! The excellence of the electric guitar and organ performances accompanying Ms. de Jong's assertive, sassy vocal make the production sound 'live' and in-your-face, as it would if the band were playing a club date. Sure to get everyone moving in their seats!

#653326 - 04/26/21 08:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: PeterF]
NigelSpiers Offline
Journeyman

Hi Peter,

I think you are right re NZ.

You may be interested to know that singer Susan de Jong is Australian. I believe she may have originally come from Adelaide. She lived in NZ for 10+ years and was the Vocal teacher at The Christchurch Jazz School. I know she is now living and performing in Melbourne.

Best Regards
Nigel

#653362 - 04/27/21 05:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Lots to like about everything in this song.

Dynamic intro.

Great vocal delivery.

Perfect band.

Yes, lots to like.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#654273 - 05/03/21 01:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
All the elements came together well, really enjoyed it. Many comparisons have been made, I got The Thrill is Gone out of it. Nice work.

#654952 - 05/09/21 08:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
Loc: Flower Station, Ontario
ChadHC Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Flower Station, Ontario
wow! this kicks off in a way that kept my interest. Great sound and vocals. Good ending too. SOunds professional!

#654974 - 05/09/21 09:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
F.M.M. Offline
Veteran

Hi Nigel great production awesome grove well mixed super listen thanks Eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#655255 - 05/11/21 02:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues [Re: NigelSpiers]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Classy sophisticated blues.

Well done all the way around:
- vocal
- guitar
- write
- the "band"

And the mix sounded excellent on the KRK's.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

PG Music News
Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Band-in-a-Box® File Associations

You may have noticed when you were installing Band-in-a-Box® for Windows that you were asked if you would like to Associate Band-in-a-Box songs and styles with Band-in-a-Box? But, what does that mean?

It's actually pretty simple - basically, if you select this option while you're installing the program, files with the extensions .SGU, .MGU, and other Band-in-a-Box files will open directly in the program if you select them from outside the program.

Missed this option during your setup, but you'd like to apply it now? Go to File | File Utilities | Associate File types with Explorer within the program.

New Update for RealBand 2021 Available!

Do you use RealBand (included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases)? Download the latest free update, which resolves a small viewing issue for Windows 11 users.

When you download the latest update for RealBand 2021, it will add all the updates we've made this year. See the full list here.

Ear Training Games in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

October 1, 2021 is National Kids Music Day!

Head to the Practice Window in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, and you'll see fun games that are fun ear training options for kids: Music Replay & Pitch Invasion.

Of course, you don't have to be a kid to like these games, I think there a fun way to learn at any age!

Music Replay is just what it sounds like - the program plays a 1-bar melody, and the user plays it back. Get it right, and you'll keep building that melody (and skill) within the game - get it wrong, and you'll be met with a warning tone and have to try again... it's quite addictive, and a lot of fun!

If you like a classic arcade game, then you'll love Pitch Invasion! We've managed to incorporate aliens with pitch-recognition skills in this exciting game, where you'll match the pitch of the alien ship descending towards your planet trying to destroy your collection of instruments - match the pitch and you've saved your instruments, make a mistake and the ship keeps coming... you'll have a few tries to get it right, if you're quick, but if all your instruments are destroyed - it's game over! The game speeds up as your skills improve, and you'll earn points along the way, with bonus points available throughout the game.

Open up your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows today to give it a try!

These ear training games are also included in Musical Arcade for Windows.

How to Make Backing Tracks with Band-in-a-Box®, by Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Nick Kellie recently got his hands on the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac, and put together this video showing off just how easy it is to make backing tracks in Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box Demo - How to make backing tracks

The Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Works Great in Windows® 11!

Simon did it again - another test in Windows 11! See how well the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin works with Windows® 11 in his latest video: The Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Works Great in Windows® 11!

RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Forum Stats
34982 Members
66 Forums
71189 Topics
617312 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
a4ndrew3lls, jbrydon, FOLIVSCREW, Filiipe Violin, dicdanger

34982 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 343