You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#653884 - 04/30/21 05:34 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] AN INTERESTING NEW MIC PREAMP.
justanoldmuso Offline
Journeyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njIOOUx-5-w
looks interesting.

best
oldmuso

#654038 - 05/01/21 06:44 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: AN INTERESTING NEW MIC PREAMP. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Sillie Con Valley, California
Mike Halloran Offline
Journeyman

Lots of single channel mic pres in the $279 price range. A Youtube review parroting the mfg. marketing talking points and using a mic that most don't own does nothing for me.

100% pure marketing without a single verifiable fact:

The idea behind the Hornet is simple: give people an affordable, portable preamp/DI that can go toe to toe with any of the $1000+ preamps on the market. After years of development, it’s here. An ultra low-noise front end that gives signal the creamy thickness, bite and power that built-in pres on interfaces just don’t deliver like dedicated preamps. Need an even thicker, more powerful sound? Just dial in the Color control, and the personality of the signal is enhanced without the need for compression or EQ. The Hornet features discrete gain cell topology, a custom Cinemag input transformer, and JFET DI. Even at 60 dB of gain, it’s insanely quiet. The Hornet is tiny, but don’t let that fool you – it’s perfectly capable of serving as the front end of choice even in the best studios.

For $20 more, you can get 2 channels and MIDI from SSL that has a Legacy 4K (coloring) switch of known tonality — and it is also a well regarded USB 2 interface, something the Hornet cannot do.
SSL 2+

I'm not saying that $279 single channel mic pres can't be useful. I have yet to hear one without variable impedance that is necessary and the Hornet is no exception. Thou$and+ mic preamps usually bring something to the table and that includes the $999 and up mic pres from Useful Arts. Whether any will do anything for yiu is something you'll have to try for yourself. First you'll have to see if any of their
Premiere Dealers has one in stock and check their return policies if they do.

Go searching and you'll see.

Need to spend $249 to improve your sound? The passive mics in your locker probably sound a lot better than you think. Problem is that they're seeing 1800–2700 Ohm input impedance. Many newer mics are designed for this and none of the older designs are including all the ones introduced more than 35 years ago.

Many mics do benefit from variable impedance including passive ribbons and Shure SM7/57/58. A Cloudlifter CL-Z combines variable impedance and a switchable 12/25dB boost for $249. An SM57 can sound remarkably good when it's looking at the 600Ω for which it was designed over 60 years ago—reduced proximity effect and cymbals that sound natural are possible. The over-sibilant nature of a 58 is tamed and becomes a really nice studio vocal mic at 600Ω as well (the Bell Telephone spec of most tube PAs and desks of the day and the majority of transistor units). An SM7, EV RE20 (or lower RE) and all passive ribbon mics wake up and are boosted to usable levels with one of these before your interface — brand doesn't matter — and you can use the Impedance knob to color the low end response.
Cloudlifter CL-Z

The Hornet adds marketing mumbo-jumbo (no specs listed on the web site, by the way) while the CL-Z makes you start searching CraigsList for old EV RE12s and 15s, Altecs and other cool mics that can be picked up for a song. You might even discover why the SM57 was a favorite studio vocal mic in the 1960s.

#654055 - 05/02/21 04:24 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: AN INTERESTING NEW MIC PREAMP. [Re: Mike Halloran]
justanoldmuso Offline
Journeyman

Mike.
with respect i'm aware of those details.
(var. impedence/clifter/ssl/old mics etc etc.)
but its good you went into such detail; particularly for people reading the threade and new to this crazy music biz.

frankly ive used the hi end gear down to junk gear over many many years.
and what ive found is of prime importance is often the source and how the track is conditioned after recording. in fact to add; ive seen top mix engineers take a track recorded elsewhere that i thought was "too far gone" and condition it back to health.

for example yesterday i was doing a voc trak and it wasnt working.
so i changed the vocal persona to more of a crooner persona rather than a raucous personality. and it worked.
(with same rig/mic pre.)

re mic pre's and comparison of low and hi end mic pre's.
when you have spare time for "giggles"; go to gearspace.com (formerly gearslutz) where a lot of users with big rigs hang out.
and look up threads such as ;
1. 5 dollar diy mic pre vs high end mic pre or
2. 50 buk art tube mp mic pre vs high end mic pre.
lots of fun threads.

me; i'm agnostic bout gear. frankly i wish the usb interface manufacturers would build in var impedence into their interfaces.
btw i nearly splurged a few months back for a hi end interface. but i decided to wait as the interface landscape is rapidly changeing.

but so far i'm happy with the audient mic pre in the evo.
perfectly good for the silly crazy songs i write.

best
oldmuso.

#654245 - 05/03/21 10:35 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: AN INTERESTING NEW MIC PREAMP. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Mike Halloran Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for that. I'm a longtime member of Gearslutz (whatever it's called these days) but I'm not a gearhead by choice.

Originally Posted By: justanodmuso
frankly i wish the usb interface manufacturers would build in var impedence into their interfaces.

As I've posted before, with a couple of exceptions, everyone is using the same chip family with the same mic pres and DAC. When they can get 8 mic pres, 4 line ins, 2 phone amps at 192/24 on a single chip under $7ea (min quantity 1,000), no one's going to offer circuits that add significantly to the cost. BTW, the two channel version is less than $4 in quantity but can be had for around $9 if someone wants to build his/her own.

Quote:
in fact to add; ive seen top mix engineers take a track recorded elsewhere that i thought was "too far gone" and condition it back to health.

I'm one of those people that studios go to for this. Audio restoration is a major part of my business.

#654271 - 05/03/21 01:31 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: AN INTERESTING NEW MIC PREAMP. [Re: Mike Halloran]
justanoldmuso Offline
Journeyman

Mike.
out of curiosity who is makeing these all in one semiconductors ? (ie micpre+atod+usb+dtoa etc etc)
TI ? analog devices ? nat semi ? maxim ? That ? others ?

in addition ive been following usb audio mixer development closely eg
.soundcraft 12fx notepad now 4x4 usb i believe.
.allen/heath zedi 10fx looks interesting. 4x4 usb.
.and the new mackie pro fx v3 mixers w onyx pre's but only 2x4 usb. but 24 bit/192.
frankly i tried mackie in the past, and found the pre's didnt crank me up.

you might find this review site interesting i came across.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?reviews/
all sorts of audio product reviews.

best
oldmuso

Edited by justanoldmuso (05/03/21 01:33 PM)

#654337 - 05/03/21 11:28 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: AN INTERESTING NEW MIC PREAMP. [Re: justanoldmuso]
Mike Halloran Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Mike.
out of curiosity who is makeing these all in one semiconductors ? (ie micpre+atod+usb+dtoa etc etc)
TI ? analog devices ? nat semi ? maxim ? That ? others ?

in addition ive been following usb audio mixer development closely eg
.soundcraft 12fx notepad now 4x4 usb i believe.
.allen/heath zedi 10fx looks interesting. 4x4 usb.
.and the new mackie pro fx v3 mixers w onyx pre's but only 2x4 usb. but 24 bit/192.
frankly i tried mackie in the past, and found the pre's didnt crank me up.

you might find this review site interesting i came across.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?reviews/
all sorts of audio product reviews.

best
oldmuso

I wrote a comprehensive teardown report — and I did name the component. Other than it's not one of the familiar names, I've been paid and can't blab the good stuff till it's been published.

I will say that I figured it out before tearing down the first unit to read what was on the component. Start with the specs.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Russian for Windows is Here!

Мы хорошо потрудились и добавили 80 новых функций и изумительную коллекцию нового контента, включая 202 стиля RealTracks, новые стили RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, инструментальные этюды (Instrumental Studies), записи профессионального живого исполнения (Artist Performances), поставляемые в качестве бонуса отдельные инструменты RealDrums (RealDrums "Singles"), транскрипции стилей RealDrums, набор мультистилей MultiStyles PAK 1, набор экстра-стилей Xtra Styles PAK 10 и др.!

новых | Пакеты

Just Released - Xtra Styles PAK 11 for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows!

We've added 200 exciting new RealStyles with the just-released Xtra Styles PAK 11 for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows - 50 each for Jazz 11, Country 11, Rock & Pop 11, and Half & Double Time 1!

We think you'll love the new RealStyles and MultiStyles added with Xtra Styles PAK 11, which includes new sounds like modern reggaeton, medieval-inspired folk pop, Americana power ballad, speakeasy vocal jazz, R&B and reggae fusion, and more!

Video: Xtra Styles PAK 11 Demos for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows

XTRA STYLES PAKS ARE ON SALE UNTIL MAY 31st! During our Xtra Styles PAK 11 special, all of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-11 are on sale for just $29 each (reg. $49)! Looking for more Xtra Styles PAKs? Until May 31st, you can purchase our complete library of all 1,800+ RealStyles with the Xtra Styles PAK 1-11 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)! Learn more & order now.

Interested in a specific genre? These can be purchased for $15 each - pick & choose here.

NOTE: Xtra Styles PAKs require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition version 2020 or 2021. (Xtra Styles PAK 11 requires the 2021 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition.) Xtra Styles PAKs won't work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Learn more & listen to demos of Xtra Styles PAK 11.

Get To Know the Band-in-a-Box® Song Settings

Want to customize your Band-in-a-Box® song? Head into the Song Settings window to adjust settings for endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, chord embellishments, and more!

To access Song Settings in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows, use Ctrl+N or choose the Edit | Song Form | Settings (for This Song) option.

Looking to mix up the styles playing for each chorus? You can do that!

Want Pedal Bass in your middle chorus? You can do that too!

Hoping to fade the ending to your song? Also an option from within this window!

There are additional Ending options, RealTracks options (including half-time/double-time, 'bluesy' solos, Natural Arrangements, etc.), and more!

Learn more about Band-in-a-Box® Song Settings.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Documentation Today!

Download the latest Update for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows to access the updated PDF manual and updated help file.

We've also addressed user reported concerns regarding Plugins Options, Drum Kit window MIDI events, the 2 bar lead-in for exported MIDI files, read-only Audio tracks, and more!

The latest update is available for FREE to all Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Windows users.

Learn more and download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Estamos ocupados e adicionamos 80 novos recursos e uma coleção incrível de novos conteúdos, incluindo 202 RealTracks, novos RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Estudos Instrumentais, Performances de Artistas, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", transcrições de RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 e mais!

Novas Funções | Pacotes

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Spanish for Windows is Here!

En PG Music tenemos el placer de anunciar la disponibilidad de Band-in-a-Box 2021 en Español. Despues de arduo trabajo hemos agregado, entre otras cosas, 80 funciones nuevas y una gran colección de nuevas incorporaciones y contenido que incluyen 202 RealTracks, nuevos RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Estudios Instrumentales, Interpretaciones de Artistas, RealDrums 'Single' adicionales, transcripciones de RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 ¡y mucho mas!

Nuevas características | Todos los Paquetes

New Update Available for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 today!

We've applied some updates to a variety of Add-ons, improved transcriptions and simple tags, resolved playback issues with MIDI tracks, and more. Plus, this free update adds the latest DAW Plugin 3.46!

Learn more & download now.

Forum Stats
34349 Members
67 Forums
69355 Topics
596131 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
mervpaine, SYNN, latinos31, SlippedDisc, Nizar Irfani

34349 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 200