You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#655092 - 05/10/21 08:53 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad?
Loc: Milky Way
Museeker Offline
Apprentice

Hey folks,

is there something like a possibility to run Biab in a Windows emulation on a new Ipad?
Is that possible with the current models? Or would it be possible to run the Mac version on an Ipad.

For me comming from Win environment, the first choice would be prefered.
What are the options.

Especially the ease of a tabled putting it on a stand of the keyboard would mean very little effort to get started.

What are my chances? :-)

Cheers
Stefan
Microsoft Windows Version 2004 (Build 19041.685)

#655121 - 05/10/21 11:34 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Museeker]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
The chances of running either Band-in-a-Box program on an Ipad is zero. Band-in-a-Box programs relies on the computer operating systems to work. Tablet operating systems are not compatible with programs designed for computer use.

The only tablet capable of running the Windows Band-in-a-Box program is a Microsoft Surface Pro. That is because the Surface Pro uses a Windows 10 operating system. I don't believe Apple has a tablet that uses the Mac operating system.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H1, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#655147 - 05/10/21 01:55 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Museeker]
Lloyd S Offline
Veteran

Jim said:

"The only tablet capable of running the Windows Band-in-a-Box program is a Microsoft Surface Pro."

There are a number of manufacturers who make tablets that run the Windows operating system.
I have two from ASUS.
I also have an HP "2 in 1" that can act like a tablet and is quite happy running BIAB.

LLOYD S

#655148 - 05/10/21 01:59 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Lloyd S]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Yes, the key item here is that the device is running a recognized Windows Operating System.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#655163 - 05/10/21 04:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Museeker]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Simon - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: Lloyd S
Jim said:

"The only tablet capable of running the Windows Band-in-a-Box program is a Microsoft Surface Pro."

There are a number of manufacturers who make tablets that run the Windows operating system.
I have two from ASUS.
I also have an HP "2 in 1" that can act like a tablet and is quite happy running BIAB.

LLOYD S

One thing of note - Asus in particular has released a couple of their Transformer tablets that run Windows RT and have a non-Intel compatible CPU (Nvidia Tegra). Band-in-a-Box requires an Intel-compatible CPU.

To get the full BIAB on an iPad or Android tablet it would require a virtual machine running Windows or macOS, which is currently not possible.

#655320 - 05/12/21 09:38 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Museeker]
Museeker Offline
Apprentice

Probalby this would work on an IPAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLDKYFyLMM&t=321s

Cheers
Stefan
Microsoft Windows Version 2004 (Build 19041.685)

#655342 - 05/12/21 11:55 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Museeker]
Lloyd S Offline
Veteran

Great find Stefan!

And you can get the new iPad M1 Pro with (I believe) 128GB of RAM and a 1TB drive!

#655357 - 05/12/21 01:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Museeker]
Loc: UK
Bob Calver Offline
Expert

just because something is possible doesn't mean its a good idea. what quality of music are you expecting from the iPad?

a tablet may be convenient but small speakers are not ideal

and with apple's pricing you'll b e paying a hefty price for something with the capacity to hold all BIAB's RealTracks

#655368 - 05/12/21 03:48 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Bob Calver]
Simon - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: Museeker
Probalby this would work on an IPAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLDKYFyLMM&t=321s

Cheers
Stefan

To quote the guy: "That’s pretty slow, not the speed of a usable device." He was able to emulate Windows XP slowly, not a modern and stable OS, and certainly not fast enough to do anything you might want to do.

Also, sideloading apps onto iOS devices only allows them to work for 1 week before it expires and you have to re-sideload the app. The way around this is to spend $99 USD per year for an Apple developer account, which would allow the app to run for one year before it expires.

Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
just because something is possible doesn't mean its a good idea. what quality of music are you expecting from the iPad?

a tablet may be convenient but small speakers are not ideal

and with apple's pricing you'll b e paying a hefty price for something with the capacity to hold all BIAB's RealTracks

It's possible to connect headphones, audio interfaces, and speakers to an iPad, which would increase the sound quality immensely.

But yeah, I agree on the price - the cheapest iPad that could even hold all the Realtracks for BIAB costs $550 (iPad Mini 256gb), and BB would use well over half it's available storage space. Compare that to my current Asus UX305 laptop that I literally pulled out of the garbage and repaired for a parts cost of $25 - it's a tiny bit thicker than an iPad and doesn't have as nice of a screen, but it has the same amount of RAM and Storage space as an iPad Pro that would cost $1200 (for a 13" iPad Pro that has 8gb ram and 256gb storage) - add another $200 for a keyboard...

#655377 - 05/12/21 05:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Simon - PG Music]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Stefan.
i would be vewy vewy carefull.
sometimes early adopters get hurt by rapid obsolescence.
there are already rumours of more powerfull processors than M1
in the works. maybe an M2. it seems like a lot of products only last a year these days before a new model comes out to replace the old.
yes i know in concept a tablet seems like a nice idea.
but for what a ipad pro costs (over 1k) you could get a refurb older mac beast plus a refurb hp z workstation beast win pc.
so all bases covered.

simon.

frankly if i had a big budget like that i would go whole hog n get one of these that a lot of big recording studios (and reaper users like)
https://studiocat.com/opencart2/index.php?route=common/home
or heres another vendor
very extreme up to 384 ddr4 of ram and xeons all the way. wow.
https://silentpc.com/daw/studio-digital-audio-workstation
the above really cranks me up. i'm drooling.
notice the 28 cores ?
sorry i'm outta here ; gotta go n buy a lottery ticket lol.

best
oldmuso

Edited by justanoldmuso (05/12/21 05:29 PM)

#655394 - 05/12/21 06:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Museeker]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Tacking this on to the discussion of tablets running a full Windows OS on a table instead of trying to make a Windows version work on an iPad (which isn't possible), in order to run Band-in-a-Box successfully, your tablet would need to have the following:

Windows Operating System (not an Android device; as we have all already discussed here - be sure to check out our requirements page for compatible OS versions)
2Ghz processor
A minimum of 2GB RAM
Enough hard drive space to install your package.

However, the small screen size can be problematic when trying to enter songs and navigate through the various drop down menus and windows. At this time, we still recommend that Band-in-a-Box be installed on a desktop or laptop computer, rather than a tablet. But if you are comfortable navigating the smaller screen sizes, you may be content to install it on a tablet running a Windows OS.

#655427 - 05/13/21 01:51 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Museeker]
Bob Calver Offline
Expert

I agree with Simon that you can plug in phones and speakers but the OP talked of setting it up on a stand which seemed to me to suggest he was just going to prop it up and play.

There would be little advantage over a small laptop which would easily fit on a music stand

#655476 - 05/13/21 08:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Museeker]
Lloyd S Offline
Veteran

I'm not a MAC user so pardon my ignorance but wouldn't the MAC version of BIAB run on:
- any iPad?
- a newer iPad?

LLOYD S

Here's the system requirements from PGMusic:

9. What are the recommended system requirements for Band-in-a-Box?
Our most recent version of Band-in-a-Box is designed for Intel-based computers, which should all exceed the minimum requirements. We also have older versions of the program available for PowerPC based OSX systems, and even OS9 systems. The system requirements for the latest version of Band-in-a-Box are:

Mac OS X 10.6 or later
Intel Processor
512 MB RAM
About 2 GB free hard disk space to install the Band-in-a-Box program, MIDI styles, Soloists, Melodists, and Lessons.
Additional hard disk space is required for RealTracks and RealDrums (about 100-400 MB per set), unless you get the hard drive version of the program.
DVD-ROM drive (if installing from disc)
Available USB port (if using Band-in-a-Box on an external USB hard drive).
An external MIDI sound source is not required, since Band-in-a-Box can use the Mac's built-in sounds automatically. However you can also use an external MIDI keyboard or sound module if you wish.

#655494 - 05/13/21 09:48 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Work with Windowsversion of BiaB on new Ipad? [Re: Lloyd S]
Simon - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: Lloyd S
I'm not a MAC user so pardon my ignorance but wouldn't the MAC version of BIAB run on:
- any iPad?
- a newer iPad?

LLOYD S

Here's the system requirements from PGMusic:

9. What are the recommended system requirements for Band-in-a-Box?
Our most recent version of Band-in-a-Box is designed for Intel-based computers, which should all exceed the minimum requirements. We also have older versions of the program available for PowerPC based OSX systems, and even OS9 systems. The system requirements for the latest version of Band-in-a-Box are:

Mac OS X 10.6 or later
Intel Processor
512 MB RAM
About 2 GB free hard disk space to install the Band-in-a-Box program, MIDI styles, Soloists, Melodists, and Lessons.
Additional hard disk space is required for RealTracks and RealDrums (about 100-400 MB per set), unless you get the hard drive version of the program.
DVD-ROM drive (if installing from disc)
Available USB port (if using Band-in-a-Box on an external USB hard drive).
An external MIDI sound source is not required, since Band-in-a-Box can use the Mac's built-in sounds automatically. However you can also use an external MIDI keyboard or sound module if you wish.

I've highlighted the important parts of the Mac system requirements. BIAB requires both a Mac operating system, which iOS is not, and requires an Intel processor*, which iPads do not have.

*Technically the M1 Macs do not have an Intel processor, but they have an Intel compatibility layer in macOS Big Sur that iOS does not have.

PG Music News
A Look Back... Band-in-a-Box® 2015 NAMM Demonstration #TBT

Watch Tobin (and Charlie!) demonstrate Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows at the 2015 NAMM Show: Play video...

Tobin does a great job of showing just how easy it is to create a song with Band-in-a-Box!

This video was posted on January 23, 2015 to the Keyboard Instrument Chops and Gear YouTube Channel.

Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Band-in-a-Box® File Associations

You may have noticed when you were installing Band-in-a-Box® for Windows that you were asked if you would like to Associate Band-in-a-Box songs and styles with Band-in-a-Box? But, what does that mean?

It's actually pretty simple - basically, if you select this option while you're installing the program, files with the extensions .SGU, .MGU, and other Band-in-a-Box files will open directly in the program if you select them from outside the program.

Missed this option during your setup, but you'd like to apply it now? Go to File | File Utilities | Associate File types with Explorer within the program.

New Update for RealBand 2021 Available!

Do you use RealBand (included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases)? Download the latest free update, which resolves a small viewing issue for Windows 11 users.

When you download the latest update for RealBand 2021, it will add all the updates we've made this year. See the full list here.

Ear Training Games in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

October 1, 2021 is National Kids Music Day!

Head to the Practice Window in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, and you'll see fun games that are fun ear training options for kids: Music Replay & Pitch Invasion.

Of course, you don't have to be a kid to like these games, I think there a fun way to learn at any age!

Music Replay is just what it sounds like - the program plays a 1-bar melody, and the user plays it back. Get it right, and you'll keep building that melody (and skill) within the game - get it wrong, and you'll be met with a warning tone and have to try again... it's quite addictive, and a lot of fun!

If you like a classic arcade game, then you'll love Pitch Invasion! We've managed to incorporate aliens with pitch-recognition skills in this exciting game, where you'll match the pitch of the alien ship descending towards your planet trying to destroy your collection of instruments - match the pitch and you've saved your instruments, make a mistake and the ship keeps coming... you'll have a few tries to get it right, if you're quick, but if all your instruments are destroyed - it's game over! The game speeds up as your skills improve, and you'll earn points along the way, with bonus points available throughout the game.

Open up your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows today to give it a try!

These ear training games are also included in Musical Arcade for Windows.

How to Make Backing Tracks with Band-in-a-Box®, by Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Nick Kellie recently got his hands on the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac, and put together this video showing off just how easy it is to make backing tracks in Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box Demo - How to make backing tracks

Forum Stats
34997 Members
66 Forums
71255 Topics
617995 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
ged1200, apexel, PROJECT M, Alice Dawson, CAFA

34997 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 298