Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#655662 05/14/21 11:36 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Folks,

Is it Country, maybe Crossover, or perhaps just a song with an incidental pedal steel guitar?
I'm just a poor boy from the North of England and my knowledge of Country is strictly limited to what I've learned from Floyd over the years, but I'm sure my friends on the forum will put me right on this.

The pedal steel and the backing vocals are RTs.
The piano is a DX7 which belongs to a pal and which is with me for a spot of programming.
The strings and bass are from an Oberheim plugin and the drums are samples.
For the first time, I'm not playing guitar on a track!
It was all recorded in Realband and mixed in Harrison Mixbus 32C.

A Change In The Weather
You could ask me how it goes
Now that I'm back on my own
And you could ask me how it feels to see you walk away
And not be coming home
And you could ask me how it ends
And if I sometimes still see our friends
And I could say -
"It looks like a change in the weather".

And you could ask me one more time
Was it my fault that it all went wrong?
And you could ask me why I live my life the way I do
Like a cowboy in a country song
And you could ask if I blame myself
When I see you walking out with someone else
And I could say -

And you could ask if this means goodbye
And I could look you in the eye
And I could say -

I'm always grateful for a listen from anyone who has the time.
Take care all, in these strange times.

ROG

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rog,

I had to smile when I read your comment about your knowledge of Country being strictly limited to what you've learned from Floyd over the years, mine too! smile

Good song, love the sound of that steel! Nice vocal too.

Enjoyed!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Howdy ROG....

Ha....well...I don't listen to or write country songs either but you have a good one here.

As Dave says...that pedal steel is pretty sweet and your vox is well performed.
I did think the vox could come up just a db or so but my fossilized ears may be deceiving me.

Good job....have a great day.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rog,

This is really sweet! Nice work all around.

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is very good. Better vocals than when you use that other old fool who sings flat!!

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Rog,

It's a very pleasant country ballad. The lyrics are endearing and your voice lends itself wonderfully. Nice work. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJavkFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm going to say you have a good pop rock ballad with a steel guitar. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It just doesn't feel like country to me.

I love the mix... Superb quality on everything.

Totally enjoyed the song.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/18/21 01:36 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Light and airy.

Nice.

moto

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG,

As Kris Kristofferson used to say... "Close enough for Country...")
(although he was referring to whether his guitar was in tune or not smile )

A really good write (I'd call it my favorite of yours).
Solid lyric and a cool melody.

The vocal is very cool - has a Beatlesque quality.

Excellent mix. Great balance between backing and vocals.

Very much enjoyed!

fj (who cannot help being Country no matter how hard he tries otherwise)

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is really good.

Good write, pleasant on the ears, tugs at heartstrings in an understated way, cool melody and vocals.

If I were making mixtapes, it would go on my collection of cool stuff from bands no one's ever heard of that deserved much more airplay. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rog

A very pretty song whatever genre you'd like it to be, had a 70's soft rock sound to me.

I enjoyed it, especially the lovely vocal arrangement.

Peter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Rog,

This is really, really nice! I have to agree with Floyd, this is one of my favorites of yours. The lyrics are so strong, and the melody is superb - love the lift on "and I could say..." - and then the resolve to "It looks like a change in the weather." To me, that's what really gives it that Beatles feel (the Beatles were big country fans - they introduced Buck Owens to the UK, and did a cover of his hit Act Naturally - written by Johnny Russell and Voni Morrison.)

The second I heard your song start, I was struck with how full and warm it sounded. I have used Mixbus 32C on several mixes, and it is an outstanding DAW, particularly for mixing. It has a natural analog sound, and a really great built in saturation on all the mixbusses. Of course, none of this means anything, if it is not used properly. You certainly used it properly. Great sound. Great song. (And great pedal steel.) - I should know, I have lived over half my life around Austin, Texas. smile (Herb, if I couldn't live in Nashville, Austin is not too bad...)

Great job!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ah, is it a classical song because we use violins instead of fiddles? Ha! Categories are for record stores and DJs. Nearly every song has a crossover component. There is definitely one indisputable category for this one, Rog. It's a good one, man. I also hear the magic of North England. We all have learned a great deal from Floyd. Excellent vocal and harmony in this. I've been using a lot of pedal recently too and have asked myself that same question. Regardless of the answer, this is a very well written song and the pedal is perfect for it and so are the strings.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Excellent production ROG! Really love the sounds!

Wonderful vocals. Kind of ELO in a way.

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow loved this tune Rog. Very cool backtrack. Super vocal and loved the effects on the vocal. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice delicate lyrics written around the title line.
Beautiful chord progression, not very country to me, rather reminds me of Alan Parsons work, thus falling into my favorite of your songs.
Great vocals, lovely sounding high notes.
The band sounds warm and the piano has that homely 80's vibe. The pedal steel works very well.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG,
A very enjoyable change of pace; reflective lyrics, strong melody and an excellent understated vocal with a nice hint of falsetto.
No guitar,well ok, just this once.
Us Brits do hear country differently- I like your take very much!

Robert

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Rog,

I had to smile when I read your comment about your knowledge of Country being strictly limited to what you've learned from Floyd over the years, mine too! smile

Good song, love the sound of that steel! Nice vocal too.

Enjoyed!

Hi Dave,
This was a bit of a change of direction for me, so I'm pleased you liked it.
One thing that I've learned from Floyd is that Country is a lot more varied then I used to think.
I may have another go at some time in the future.
Many thanks for the review.
Cheers,
ROG.

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Howdy ROG....

Ha....well...I don't listen to or write country songs either but you have a good one here.
As Dave says...that pedal steel is pretty sweet and your vox is well performed.
I did think the vox could come up just a db or so but my fossilized ears may be deceiving me.
Good job....have a great day.

Hi Chulaivet,
I've just got round to auditioning the pedal steel RTs and they're great.
It's the only type of guitar which I've never played, so it's good to have them on hand.
Thanks for the review and the kind comments.
Cheers,
ROG.

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Rog,
This is really sweet! Nice work all around.
Regards,
Bob

Hi Bob,
It's great to see your name in my reviews - I always value your opinion.
Many thanks for looking in on this one - much appreciated.
Cheers,
ROG

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195