Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#65616 03/15/10 09:16 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm in the market for some studio reference monitors. I'm looking at (maybe)......

M-Audio - Studiophile 70W 2-Way Studio Reference Monitors (Pair)

KRK Systems - RokitG2 6" 2-Way Powered Speaker Monitor

JBL LSR 2328P 8 (might be too expensive for me)

Behringer Truth B2031A Studio Monitor

Any feedback on these or recommendations on others is appreciated. Probably in the $500.00 or less range. If the "JBL LSR 2328P 8" are that good I might bite the bullet and suffer a little buyer's remorse.

"The desire for fame is the last infirmity cast off even by the wise."
Cornelius Tacitus
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I like the BX8a Studiophiles

But I know others really like the KRK for the $$.
And I also know a guy that has tons of monitors (including very high price ones) and he was impressed with the Truth's.

It is so hard to recommend monitors for someone else, there are so many variables from personal prefs to the setting being used.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
The Truths have been repleaced by the 3031A now and I think they are much better than the earlier model.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Only way to go is test them yourself.

First question you need to ask yourself is: Is my room acoustic "clean" : Did you have any acoustic treatment in your room? If not, you don't need to buy top-range monitors 'cause they won't give you the extra bucks worth in sound due to the sonic behavior of the room.

Second you need to set your budget and select monitors within that price range. (no need to listen to monitors way out of your price range: they'll probably sound better and you won't like the ones in your budget anymore.)

Go to a store and have the salesperson set up the monitors you want to audition. Take a couple of CD's with you with music you really know. (originals, no MP3 or copied stuff)

Listen to each monitor carefully (ask the salesperson for a cup of coffee if he hadn't already offered you one: this testing may take some time!)
When auditioning the monitors don't go per se for the nicest sounding ones: monitors have a different purpose than hifi audio speakers. Hifi audio speakers are designed to give you a nice, "warm" and clear sound: designed to please the listener. Studio monitors are designed to give the "real" sound: a as flat as possible response.

A little "trick" I used to finally choose my monitors from the remaining two, was to find the one where I was best able to determine where each and every instrument on the virtual stage was and listen to that instrument
as a single sound-source.

No, I won't give you any advice on brands or types. I don't think you will find crappy units in the price-range you mentioned, so it all boils down to personal taste.
Good luck, have fun and trust your ears

Last edited by Mike sings; 03/15/10 12:56 PM.
Off-Topic
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
For what it's worth, I have the KRK Rockit 5s, and absolutely love them... they're super cheap, and built like a tank.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie,
I also have the Rokit RP5's. I have the originals, not the new G2s. The G2s are better. My biggest problem was that about 15 months after having bought them, I had a capacitor fail in one of the units. Fortunately, it wasn't a hard repair, and it is working perfectly now. The other one has never had an issue, so it's probably just 'one of those things.'

The M-Audio BX8 monitors are very nice, and if you can't afford them, the BX5's should work almost as nicely.

I would tend to agree with Mike about his approach to looking at monitors. The problem with Musicians' Friend, or Sweetwater, or such, is that you can't sit down and listen to different ones. You really do need to do somewhere that has a room set up for listening. Of course, the downside of that is that after they spend all that time with you, you don't want to go spend your money at one of the online stores. That salesman probably put some time and effort into helping you, and he/she most likely works on commission. It isn't nice, or fair, to go elsewhere.

I would recommend going to a place that has a good selection..Guitar Center, if you have one...and tell the person what it is exactly that you want to do, and they may very well have some nice suprises for you.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie,
You might also want to read this, as well.

http://www.studio-central.com/studio_monitors.htm

Check out the link for the Wharfdales at the bottom, too. Wharfdales are nice speakers.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
If you are going to spend that much on monitors, I apologize to most of the other replies on this thread but I would go with MikeSing's post as the place you should start. Set aside budget to either DIY some acoustic treatment, or purchase from Primacoustics or Auralex. Perhaps 1/3 of your monitor speaker budget. Take it out of that monitor budget. The sum total quality of the monitors you purchase and the acoustic treatment you apply will be better than spending the whole wad on any of the monitors in your list.

At minimum, put absorptive acoustic treatment on any wall or ceiling location where you can see your monitors in a mirror on that wall. Rather than re-type a bunch of resource material on the topic, there are excellent guides to this in many places on the internet; Auralex has some good resources as does Ethan Winer's articles and forum posts. Ethan's posts guide one more to DIY solutions, Auralex towards their own products. In either case, managing reflections is a key acoustic issue to concern yourself with before spending a wad on monitors.

Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Hi Charlie,

Lots of really good suggestions here already but I figured I might as well toss in my 2 cents worth also. lol

First: Don't treat your room. Why? Because you gave a budget that's way too low to include that.
Instead, just keep in mind that you cannot trust your mix until you play it on several different systems. That can be a bother, but unless you treat your room, there's no way around it. And if you don't have several hundred dollars my advice is don'teventhinkaboutit. lol.

Second: Get a subwoofer. I use a KRK like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KRK-10s-Powered-Stud...=item35a7bcc99c

Why a sub? Several reasons, tied into how we perceive sound as shown by the Fletcher-Munson equal-loudness curve, and also tied into reducing ear fatigue.

Anyways, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ymmv and all that. :>)

Later,
Jim

I'd be completely happy if I had just one more guitar.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have the Behringer B2031A. They are magnificent. I have them mounted on 40-inch speaker stands.

A couple of friends paid more for smaller, but nominally "better," speakers and later wished they had gotten the Behries, too.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well I'll add $.02 to this.
If you are looking for "nearfield" monitors, & that's what you should be getting first, You will set them up for near field. Typically the monitors are 6 ft apart with your ears 6 ft from the boxes. The volume should be LOW not screaming. As long as your not right up against walls acoustic treatment should not be necessary. Your trying to achieve a nice mix and proper imaging. If your monitors are loud you'll blow your ears out the first minute.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I will say, treating a room without the monitors is a little silly. How will you know what kind of response you are getting? And without a little knowledge you could just ugly up the room. Yes I treat my main room, but the treatment changed when I made the monitor switch.
I previously used a setup with a subwoofer and two satellites. I like the new nearfields much better.

As Silvertones said, you *should* be using low volumes anyway. Nearfields have their purpose and use.

Also a word of warning, if you go with the M-Audio's, remember to set the volume at around 15-20% when you first turn them on for your initial listen. If you have them at 50% you will need to be standing back a bit; they are capable of being very loud. I have never even approached the 50% mark with those monitors.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Tho I agree with most of the views here, I will add this....

If you are working in a "typical home studio setup", where you are up against a wall, don't get a speaker with rear-firing bass ports, like the M-Audio's. You will have NO end to frustration with your bass levels. If you can have your system pulled out at least 3 feet from the nearest wall, then you would be OK.....

And at this moment I am saving up for the Behringer TRUTH B3031A. I have heard these beside the most recommended ones out on the net at GC & at various home studios, and have found them to stand up well. I decided to go with the 8" woofer to get around the phase issues I have with the Ms16 Monitors & sub.

And on a side note, I have had great luck with all the Berry stuff I own, AND with their support. Is Berry top of the line? No, but fully serviceable....

Room treatment IS important, but learning your speakers is more important IMHO.....use what ya have & learn it inside & out before tossing $$ at it....and as usual, this is all IMHO, YMMV, yada yada....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for all your replies. You've given me a lot to think about. At present I have a couple of Bose computer speakers that sound fairly well( $100 from BestBuy). I mix with those and AKG K240 Studio headphones. I always listen at my computer and in my car. If I mix/master and get both locations (desktop & car) to sound pretty good I usually settle for that.

After reading all your posts and others on the Internet I'm now wondering if the monitors I would buy would make any difference? I have a spare bedroom that I use as my studio/computer room. And I haven't done anything to it for sound and actually don't intend to. So I would hate to spend $300-$500 and not realize any difference in the sound I'm hearing. So I'm undecided and still pondering what to do... Thanks again.

Addendum: This may sound trivial and make you think I'm not a dedicated musician (which is up in the air ) but the powered amps using electricity and being on all the time has me a little concerned as well. If I could find a great pair of headphones that were economically priced (and better than what I have) I might go that route. As a few of you have stated, it's knowing your instrument and being able to compensate with it's strong and weak points that is the main thing. So as you can tell.... total ambivalence.

Last edited by Charlie McG; 03/16/10 09:36 AM.

"The desire for fame is the last infirmity cast off even by the wise."
Cornelius Tacitus
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
With nearfields you can't listen to them with the same ears as you listen to your stereo. They are for reference. The first time I tried a pair it was "huh it doesn't sound like the music is coming out of the speakers" that's the whole idea to have a set of speakers that reproduce the frequecies the way they were recorded and to be able to hear ( and in the '60's see ) were the instruments are located in the sound field.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie,
I don't remember the last time I turned my speakers off. Months ago when I had to move some stuff around, running wires and such. They stay on all the time. No problem.

Gary

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
On the other hand: I turn my monitors off whenever I don't need need them. That goes for all the equipment I don't use. At the end of the day (night) I also switch off the power to all equipment. In fact, even in the living room the TV, DVD etc. is turned off by a power switch. The only thing left on standby is the sat-receiver.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I turn mine off when not in use also. No sense draining the power..

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
There are obviously some disagreements here.

Let me summarize my point because I think it was mistaken by a couple folks here. As you budget for monitors, you should also budget for acoustic treatment - whether it's DIY or purchased off the shelf. No matter what levels you use your nearfields (nearfield varies by the acoustic pattern off of monitors - just look at the waveguides on any tweeters of nearfields and you'll find a host of disagreement amongst manufacturers as to what constitutes the near-field), you will have reflections that need management.

I know all about what near field, far field, evanescent field, and so forth mean. I could bore you with equations and graphs for hours on end on the topic.

-Scott

Off-Topic
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Mike, I sure could have used your expertise a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I no longer live in a part of the country where I can stop by a store and listen let alone have somone offer coffee to boot! In my present situation my store was online and the only coffee offered was the cup I brewed.

All kidding aside, I have a pair of near field monitors from Alesis. I bought them at the recomendation of a friend. A purchase, ears unheard, being used to the "listener" speakers I was truly disappointed that it did not have the fidelity I was expecting. Your input of explaining the purpose of the audio monitor versus a "listener" speaker would have been well heeded then.

I want to encourage anyone if they are in the research for a studio monitor transitioning from a home stereo system to begin with the comments Mike shared and DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! And bring your own coffee.

Thanks,
RickeG

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,743
Posts736,826
Members38,562
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
taylor davis, spec96, Nethan Paul, LesNewzealand, CCCreator
38,562 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 194