Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Since I do a lot of work with headphones I use Waves' Abbey Road Studio 3 with both my DAW (REAPER) and BIAB. I routinely put the Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin in my BIAB Master track (along with PG Reverb and Waves' SoundShifter Pitch). The issue is that the next time I open the BIAB project Abbey Road Studio 3 is missing from the Master track; the other plugins are present, but not Abbey Road Studio 3, which means I need to add it to the Master track again. BIAB displays no error.

Any idea why the Waves' Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin is not retained after closing a BIAB project?

Thanks.

Windows 10 Home v2004
MOTU M2 USB Audio Interface firmware v1.02
MOTU M Series ASIO Driver v4.0.8.4479
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: XilburQost
the other plugins are present

Are the other plugins also on the Master track?

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Blake - PG Music
the other plugins are present

Are the other plugins also on the Master track?

Yes, usually PG Reverb (first, moving left to right), and sometimes Waves' SoundShifter Pitch.

Master Track plugins in order:

PG Reverb, Waves' SoundShifter Pitch, Abbey Road Studio 3.

Thanks.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
OK, I will try to reproduce the issue.

Blake

PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I tried this exact combo on the Master track, and saved/loaded the song:
PG Reverb, Waves' SoundShifter Pitch, Abbey Road Studio 3.

But I cannot reproduce the problem.

Perhaps you could email the problematic song file to support@pgmusic.com (attention Blake).

Also, you could try loading the example song file that I saved:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/350uizp5gpnlfm2/Waves%20Plugin%20Test.zip?dl=1

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you for your response and testing Blake. Much appreciated! I downloaded and opened your file and sent a copy of one of my files to your support e-mail for your examination.

When I opened your file it automatically opened PG Reverb and Waves SoundShifter Pitch, but it did not load Waves Abbey Road Studio 3. This is the same behavior I experience with my own BIAB projects.

I suspect this issue may be related to a plugin scanning problem I've reported here before: When I ask BIAB to scan for plugins, it spends several minutes on the Waves shell VSTs, e.g, WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll, while repeatedly displaying yellow messages saying something along the lines of, "WaveShell1-VST... does not appear to be a VST2 plugin." Then, once the scan gets past that, BIAB crashes (closes) entirely. Subsequent scanning for plugins causes BIAB to crash immediately until I reboot my PC and restart BIAB.

When I re-open BIAB and try to view the yellow VST errors via Help->Utilities->Display Log Text File of Yellow/Green Messages, there is no record of the yellow messages I saw during the plugins scan.

Last edited by XilburQost; 06/07/21 04:49 AM.

Windows 10 Home v2004
MOTU M2 USB Audio Interface firmware v1.02
MOTU M Series ASIO Driver v4.0.8.4479
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
There was a fix related to Waves plugins being excluded during a scan. It was fixed in the latest build, which has not been released yet, but you might want to try installing since it addresses the problem you are experiencing:
https://dl11.pgmusic.com/support/patch/bb2021_win_update_build835b.exe

You should check if the particular plugin (or WaveShell host plugin) is excluded in the Plugins Settings dialog, and un-exclude it.

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you for build 835b. I installed it. Issues:

- You suggested I check my plugin settings for excluded plugins, but I don't see any option in the plugins dialog to do this? There's an option for adding plugins to an exclude list, but none for viewing existing exclusions?

- I searched the BIAB install directory and inside \DX Settings I found plugin_list_Exclude_x64.txt and plugin_list_Exclude.txt, both packed full of excluded plugins, so I renamed these text files and re-ran the scan. Result: BIAB still crashes during the scan, and now with build 835b no Waves plugins are available to BIAB.

I found plugin_scan_log.txt. Here are the contents:

8:03:59 AM : Reading VST plugin file at: C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\sforzando VST_x64.dll
8:03:59 AM : Error: Could not connect to plugin (C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\sforzando VST_x64.dll). Reason is unknown. It is possible that this is not a VST 2 plugin, or it is not installed properly.

8:03:59 AM : Reading VST plugin file at: C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 11.0_x64.dll
8:04:00 AM : Error: Could not connect to plugin (C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 11.0_x64.dll). This is a shell plugin, but no individual plugins were found.

8:04:00 AM : Reading VST plugin file at: C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.6_x64.dll
8:04:04 AM : Error: Could not connect to plugin (C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.6_x64.dll). This is a shell plugin, but no individual plugins were found.

8:04:04 AM : Reading VST plugin file at: C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll
8:04:12 AM : Error: Could not connect to plugin (C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll). This is a shell plugin, but no individual plugins were found.

8:04:12 AM : Reading VST plugin file at: S:\Program Files\VstPlugIns\BIAS Pedal_x64.dll

Is there a way to get my Waves plugins back into BIAB? At least some Waves functionality was better than none. Should I re-install BIAB version 833?

Thanks.

Last edited by XilburQost; 06/08/21 04:17 AM. Reason: Clarification
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

- You suggested I check my plugin settings for excluded plugins, but I don't see any option in the plugins dialog to do this? There's an option for adding plugins to an exclude list, but none for viewing existing exclusions?

In the Plugins Options dialog, if you click on [Exclude Audio Plugins], any items in the menu that are checked are excluded. You can click on them to un-exclude them.

- I searched the BIAB install directory and inside \DX Settings I found plugin_list_Exclude_x64.txt and plugin_list_Exclude.txt, both packed full of excluded plugins, so I renamed these text files and re-ran the scan. Result: BIAB still crashes during the scan, and now with build 835b no Waves plugins are available to BIAB.

It sounds like the original exclude list (the one you renamed) is preventing a crash during plugin scans. If so, you should recover this file before doing another scan. Do this before launching Band-in-a-Box. Then, go to the Plugins Options dialog and look for the specific plugin that you want to un-exclude.

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
It sounds like the original exclude list (the one you renamed) is preventing a crash during plugin scans. If so, you should recover this file before doing another scan. Do this before launching Band-in-a-Box. Then, go to the Plugins Options dialog and look for the specific plugin that you want to un-exclude.

I restored the exclusion files and went to the plugin settings and un-excluded any Waves plugins (somewhat cumbersome task because the dialog closes each time I exclude an individual plugin; there are probably over 100 plugins on the lists, including about 20 instances of PG Vocal Remover, for some reason). Below are the scan results. BIAB crashes when it gets to BIAS Pedal_x64.dll, despite the fact that this plugin is on the exclude list. Still no access to Waves plugins.

12:08:10 PM : Reading VST plugin file at: C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\sforzando VST_x64.dll
12:08:10 PM : Reading VST plugin file at: C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 11.0_x64.dll
12:08:11 PM : Error: Could not connect to plugin (C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 11.0_x64.dll). This is a shell plugin, but no individual plugins were found.

12:08:11 PM : Reading VST plugin file at: C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.6_x64.dll
12:08:11 PM : Error: Could not connect to plugin (C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.6_x64.dll). This is a shell plugin, but no individual plugins were found.

12:08:11 PM : Reading VST plugin file at: C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll
12:08:13 PM : Error: Could not connect to plugin (C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll). This is a shell plugin, but no individual plugins were found.

12:08:16 PM : Reading VST plugin file at: S:\Program Files\VstPlugIns\BIAS Pedal_x64.dll

UPDATE: I added BIAS Pedal_x64.dll to the exclude list again, and this time when I ran the scan I got an access violation error; I e-mailed the report to your attention. Thanks.

Last edited by XilburQost; 06/08/21 07:34 AM.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I kept re-running scans and identifying the plugins that were causing BIAB to crash and adding them to the exclude list (the two biggest issues were with DD Delay.dll and BIAS Pedal_x64.dll). Now finally, the scan runs without crashing, but the scan log is full of errors. At least I got Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 back, however, per the OP, BIAB does not retain it after I close a project.

Thank you again for your help.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

12:08:13 PM : Error: Could not connect to plugin (C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll). This is a shell plugin, but no individual plugins were found.

Note that this does not actually indicate an error, it just means there were no new Waves plugins scanned & added.

If you installed some new plugins using the Waves Central application, then there would be new Waves plugins to be added during the scan.

You should take a look at the file that contains the successfully added plugins:
\DX Settings\plugin_list_Audio_x64.txt

The Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin should be listed in there with the ID NARS.

TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 Stereo;ID=NARS;SHELLID=NARS;PATH=C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll

Note the actual file location. For me it is on my C drive, but perhaps yours is on a different drive?

Blake

PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
For sanity purposes, this is what my mixer looks like when I load your song file:

Since you are able to manually add the Abbey Road plugin to a song, I am curious when exactly does the problem start? For example:
1 - if you go to File > New, then re-load the song file again, is the plugin loaded?
2 - or does the problem only start if you exit Band-in-a-Box, and run it again? (ie the problem starts after starting a new program session)

What happens if you try to load the plugin from a TGS file?

There are 3 different versions of the Abbey Roads plugin, so perhaps you could try loading these TGS files and see what happens. Perhaps try loading them onto a different track instead of the Master track.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jf602muczdtdi1n/Waves%20Abbey%20Road%20Studio%203.tgs?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oum5k16p3u3mgzu/Waves%20Abbey%20Road%20Studio%203%205.1.tgs?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kg55dng79dt04pg/Waves%20Abbey%20Road%20Studio%203%207.1.tgs?dl=1

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
You should take a look at the file that contains the successfully added plugins:
\DX Settings\plugin_list_Audio_x64.txt

The Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin should be listed in there with the ID NARS.

TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 Stereo;ID=NARS;SHELLID=NARS;PATH=C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll

Note the actual file location. For me it is on my C drive, but perhaps yours is on a different drive?

Here are my Abbey Road entries in plugin_list_Audio_x64.txt. Note there are two sets of entries, one set for WaveShell1-VST 12.6_x64.dll and one set for WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll. (Earlier this year I contacted Waves regarding the various WaveShell1-VST files on my system, and they told me which ones I could delete and which ones I should keep.)

TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 5.1/Stereo;ID=NARE;SHELLID=NARE;PATH=C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.6_x64.dll
TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 7.1/Stereo;ID=NARG;SHELLID=NARG;PATH=C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.6_x64.dll
TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 Stereo;ID=NARS;SHELLID=NARS;PATH=C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.6_x64.dll

TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 5.1/Stereo;ID=NARE;SHELLID=NARE;PATH=C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll
TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 7.1/Stereo;ID=NARG;SHELLID=NARG;PATH=C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll
TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 Stereo;ID=NARS;SHELLID=NARS;PATH=C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll

I also have two sets of Abbey Road plugins when I load from BIAB. Only the first entry of each set will load, so the first Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 Stereo (highlighted) loads, but not the second (nothing happens when I click on it).

Last edited by XilburQost; 06/09/21 02:32 AM.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
For sanity purposes, this is what my mixer looks like when I load your song file:

Interesting. My mixer looks like that when I load that song file except there's no Abbey Road.

Since you are able to manually add the Abbey Road plugin to a song, I am curious when exactly does the problem start? For example:
1 - if you go to File > New, then re-load the song file again, is the plugin loaded?
2 - or does the problem only start if you exit Band-in-a-Box, and run it again? (ie the problem starts after starting a new program session)

1 - No, the plugin is not reloaded.

What happens if you try to load the plugin from a TGS file?

There are 3 different versions of the Abbey Roads plugin, so perhaps you could try loading these TGS files and see what happens. Perhaps try loading them onto a different track instead of the Master track.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jf602muczdtdi1n/Waves%20Abbey%20Road%20Studio%203.tgs?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oum5k16p3u3mgzu/Waves%20Abbey%20Road%20Studio%203%205.1.tgs?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kg55dng79dt04pg/Waves%20Abbey%20Road%20Studio%203%207.1.tgs?dl=1

Nothing happens when I attempt to load any of those three TGS files.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

I also have two sets of Abbey Road plugins when I load from BIAB. Only the first entry of each set will load, so the first Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 Stereo (highlighted) loads, but not the second (nothing happens when I click on it).

I think this explains what is happening. When you load a song file or a TGS file, Band-in-a-Box is looking for the first plugin that has a unique ID. In this case that is NARS. Since you have duplicates listed, it tries to load the first one which happens to be one of the non-functioning plugins.

I am guessing that these are the non-functioning plugins because they are version 12.6:
TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 5.1/Stereo;ID=NARE;SHELLID=NARE;PATH=C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.6_x64.dll
TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 7.1/Stereo;ID=NARG;SHELLID=NARG;PATH=C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.6_x64.dll
TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 Stereo;ID=NARS;SHELLID=NARS;PATH=C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.6_x64.dll

Or it could be the 12.7 plugins, but that is less likely:
TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 5.1/Stereo;ID=NARE;SHELLID=NARE;PATH=C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll
TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 7.1/Stereo;ID=NARG;SHELLID=NARG;PATH=C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll
TYPE=VST;NAME=Waves: Abbey Road Studio 3 Stereo;ID=NARS;SHELLID=NARS;PATH=C:\Program Files\vstPlugins\WaveShell1-VST 12.7_x64.dll

You should:
1. close Band-in-a-Box
2. copy (or cut so they are deleted) the version 12.6 lines from plugin_list_Audio_x64.txt
3. paste those into plugin_list_Exclude_x64.txt
4. save both .txt files
5. launch Band-in-a-Box and try loading your song file

The plugin selector dialog should no longer show 2 versions of the Abbey Road Studio plugin. The song should load correctly as well - if not, then perhaps it is the 12.7 versions that are problematic and you should repeat the steps above, but by cutting & pasting the version 12.7 lines into the exclude list and putting the 12.6 versions back into plugin_list_Audio_x64.txt.

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
You should:
1. close Band-in-a-Box
2. copy (or cut so they are deleted) the version 12.6 lines from plugin_list_Audio_x64.txt
3. paste those into plugin_list_Exclude_x64.txt
4. save both .txt files
5. launch Band-in-a-Box and try loading your song file

Yay, hey hey! That works! The 12.6 files were the problem. Thank you SO much! smile

This morning I opened Waves Central to see if there was anything to do there, but nothing regarding different versions of Abbey Road. I ran the Repair function (which re-installs all the Waves plugins), but the problem remained.

I should also note that REAPER shows two entries each for Abbey Road, so I'll forward this on to Waves' tech folks and see if they have anything to say.

Thank you again Blake for helping me to resolve this.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Great!

I think we will add a way of seeing the differences between duplicates in the plugin selector dialog, or at least a way of seeing the file paths for them.

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,287
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181