You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#662023 - 06/27/21 03:31 AM [User Showcase] LEAVE A LIGHT ON
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

This is a track which Eddie and I did a while back and never got round to listing, but
as today is Eddie's 70th birthday I thought this would be a good time to release it.

It's a raw blues and the mix is intended to sound like the whole band was recorded
straight into stereo using a Ferrograph half-track tape machine and a crossed pair
of Shure Unidyne 3s. (Ha, those were the days!)

Eddie is on vocals and played the keyboards.
I'm on guitar (Tele) and bass (Jazz).
The sax guy is an RT.

The lyrics, such as they are, were written together and are so minimal as to not
warrant listing - if you can't make them out I'll list them later.

LEAVE A LIGHT ON
We're always grateful for a listen from anyone who has the time.

Take care all, in these strange times.

#662030 - 06/27/21 05:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Offline
Expert

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Rog,

Very tasty Blues - I enjoyed the whole song.

I particularly liked the section starting at 2.04 which gave the song very nice light and shade.

I'd like to hear more.

Best Regards
Nigel

#662035 - 06/27/21 05:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SA, Australia
Not a big fan of this genre ordinarily, but the construction and presentation is very well done. Excellent choice of tracks and if you hadn't mentioned the long-distance collaboration I would have been none the wiser. smile

#662070 - 06/27/21 10:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: Washington State
bluage Offline
Expert

Loc: Washington State
'Rog' & company...

You guys sure did put some bump and some grind into this rockin' blues number! Positively primal. I think the lyrics are classic in their cleverness, ferociously to-the-point, and truly suggestive of the undercover machinations that participants in extramarital affairs are burdened with. Eddie's vocal is suitably low-down and dirty in tone -- I imagined him wearing sunglasses to disguise himself in the recording studio! The vocal harmonizations are like a choir of blues spirits calling out from their graves to comment on the sneaky goings-on. 'Rog', your electric guitar and bass performances leave their bluesy tracks on this song like footprints leading to the scene of the crime!

Nothing not to like, here smile.

Edited by bluage (06/27/21 10:21 AM)

#662076 - 06/27/21 11:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: Belgium
Derochette Offline
Expert

Loc: Belgium
Hi Rog,

It's a very catchy blues rock. The rhythm is pleasant. I liked the double voice on some passages. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

#662125 - 06/27/21 10:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Canberra, Australia
In my view that's a classic blues lyric you guys modestly dismiss as not warranting listing. And an excellent blues all round, really well sung and played (including by the sax guy). Much enjoyed.
Regards,
Leon

#662138 - 06/28/21 02:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi Rog,

Had a listen to this yesterday but didn't have time to comment.

This is right up my alley, love this sort of groove.

Great tone on the tele! Cool licks as always and love the interplay between the guitar and the sax.

Best part of the song for me was the bridge at 2:01, nicely done.

Enjoyed!

#662141 - 06/28/21 03:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
A fab live in the room sound with bvox bouncing off the walls. Lyrics are cool and very appropriate.
Appee seventeeth Eddie! you sound like you have a full set of choppers.

#662148 - 06/28/21 04:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
jamestoffee Offline
Apprentice

Classic blues....Nicely constructed and delivered....very cohesive and well balanced.

Thanks for sharing.

James

#662160 - 06/28/21 05:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Expert

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Happy (belated) birthday, Eddie! Welcome to the better 70s. Love the blues, and, man, you guys have mastered them. Excellent vocal. Cool blues riff throughout, and a great solo. Good job getting the sax guy to play along as if he was right there in the same room with the tape machine.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 9

#662174 - 06/28/21 07:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
Hi guys,

I'm just a couple of weeks away from turrning 70 myself and it's so good to hear that age doesn't seem to matter much when it comes to making good music.

I've loved the Blues ever since I was ten and, no siree - just can't get enough of it.

A wonderful Blues shuffle, well-sung and played - just great. And like Nigel said: That part starting at 2:04 is marvellous!!!

Take care,

Stefan

#662183 - 06/28/21 07:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
F.M.M. Online   content
Veteran

Hi Rog love the guitar work and sax and Eddie that was a great vocal!! you guys did a great job very engaging all the way thanks Eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#662265 - 06/28/21 06:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Excellent tune Roger. Well done

#662279 - 06/28/21 08:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: rayc]
Loc: Akron, Oh
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Akron, Oh
Originally Posted By: rayc
you sound like you have a full set of choppers.

All 32 of them!! And my hair is still long and (mostly) brown! The gray is sneaking in around the flanks but I am going to repel the attack by getting gray highlights!!

#662359 - 06/29/21 12:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
You're gonna always grab our attention with a blues shuffle and this is a good 'un.

Nice vocals/guitar/bass/keyboard performances.

We loved the interplay with your guitar and the RT sax.

The lyric you dismiss actually fits quite well in world of blues writes. Eschew over sophistication and just express yourself vocally and instrumentally.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

#662369 - 06/29/21 01:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Blues with a great groove. Terrific guitar work...Bass, too!

Good mix. Excellent live-band sound. Chair dancin'...

fj

#662488 - 06/30/21 09:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: ROG]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Rog and Eddie,

A nice classic Blues sung with a dark gritty voice. i can underline wath Bluage said on that, even as most others.
I was only wondering why you had waited so long to listen to your own song?

Indeed, an excellent band, like Floyd wrote.
I liked it a lot!

Hans

#662572 - 07/01/21 02:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: NigelSpiers]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Rog,

Very tasty Blues - I enjoyed the whole song.

I particularly liked the section starting at 2.04 which gave the song very nice light and shade.

I'd like to hear more.

Best Regards
Nigel

Hi Nigel,
Many thanks for the review and particularly the comment about the bridge.
Pleased you enjoyed our offering.
Cheers,
ROG.

#662573 - 07/01/21 02:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: Ghostgum]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Not a big fan of this genre ordinarily, but the construction and presentation is very well done. Excellent choice of tracks and if you hadn't mentioned the long-distance collaboration I would have been none the wiser. smile

Hi Ghostgum,
Thanks for the review and the positive comments, especially as it's not your main interest.
Much appreciated.
Cheers,
ROG

#662574 - 07/01/21 03:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: LEAVE A LIGHT ON [Re: bluage]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bluage
'Rog' & company...

You guys sure did put some bump and some grind into this rockin' blues number! Positively primal. I think the lyrics are classic in their cleverness, ferociously to-the-point, and truly suggestive of the undercover machinations that participants in extramarital affairs are burdened with. Eddie's vocal is suitably low-down and dirty in tone -- I imagined him wearing sunglasses to disguise himself in the recording studio! The vocal harmonizations are like a choir of blues spirits calling out from their graves to comment on the sneaky goings-on. 'Rog', your electric guitar and bass performances leave their bluesy tracks on this song like footprints leading to the scene of the crime!

Nothing not to like, here smile.

Hi Bluage,
Thank you very much for what must be the most eloquent and literary review we've ever received!
What more can I say except that you are very generous with your comments, that the way you imagined Eddie is pretty accurate and
that I loved the "footprints leading to the scene of the crime".
Thanks again.
ROG.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
New Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Add-ons are Here!

We're excited to say that we've just released some amazing new RealStyles with XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3 and Xtra Styles PAK 13 for Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows or Mac!

XPro Styles PAK 2 includes 100 fresh new RealStyles that will up the utility and fun factor of the Band-in-a-Box® Pro version by adding 25 rock and pop styles, 25 jazz styles, 25 country styles, and 25 folk styles! XPro Styles PAK 3 goes even further - not only is it packed 100 new RealStyles, it includes 35 RealTracks that are not included with a Pro or MegaPAK purchase - adding even more versatility to what these can do! Sink your teeth into 25 rock/pop styles, 25 jazz/funk styles, 25 country/bluegrass styles, and 25 styles featuring a mix of genres ranging from high energy electro swing to ambient grooves and everything in between.

With the new Xtra Styles PAK 13, we're going to make the number thirteen lucky again! There are 200 new RealStyles for Rock/Pop, Jazz, Country, and Singer-Songwriter. Some examples of what's included: Mellow soundtrack rock, Americana country lullaby, western swing big band, coffee house jazz waltz, jazzy jump blues, songwriter gospel ballad, fast indie rock, vintage clav funk, country pop march, and much, much more!

And they're all ON SALE until July 15th! Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs or XPro Styles PAKs for only $29 per PAK (regular price $49 each)!

Purchase XPro Styles PAKs
Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs
Learn more & watch our video demonstrations

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac is here!

There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 13, XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until July 15, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase a Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2022 packages! For more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!), upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac.

How to: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Did you know that you can have multiple instances of Band-in-a-Box® open on your computer? There was a conversation about this recently on our Forum, so we put together this video explaining how: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

How to: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track (RealBand)

Using RealBand and wondering how to replace a MIDI track with an audio track?

We show you how in our RealBand®: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track
video!

How to: Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Do you want to record your MIDI keyboard into Band-in-a-Box®, but aren't sure where to start? This quick video is what you've been looking for! How to Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows.

User Guide: Working with MIDI

How to: Why Does My Song Keep Looping in Band-in-a-Box®?

Your Band-in-a-Box® song is looping, and you don't want it to - what do you do?

Fortunately, this is a program setting that can be adjusted - see how this is done: Band-in-a-Box®: Why Does My Song Keep Looping?

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

(Additional Song Preferences you might also find useful: Global Song Overrides)

How to: Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Did you know that you can copy the chords and other details of your Band-in-a-Box song into a document? We show you how in this video: How to Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Learn more about this feature: Online Manual - Copy/Paste Chords as Simple Text

Forum Stats
36172 Members
64 Forums
74780 Topics
656718 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Gorkin, wshutts, Mindi, ebbot, Blaulichtschutz

36172 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 244