Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#663961 07/12/21 07:32 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
https://soundcloud.com/torrey-bliss/hideaway

This is the first song I've had the opportunity to spend some time on in quite a while! It originally was part of a song I posted a couple years back and included an uptempo rock section. I always felt though that the slower section of the song needed to be developed and presented in a Country/Pop/Rock style. On the original song David Snyder contributed some lyrical help and I want to recognize him for that even though none of that content is presented here. I'm taking a bold step trying to do something with more of a Country flavor considering all the pro's that contribute here like Floyd, J&B etc that excel in that genre.
(EDIT: A few folks have stated that they feel that this song doesn't fall in the Country/Rock category but I listed it as such because of the number of Country related realtracks used and I feel the vocals especially in the verses definitely lean more toward a country sound than rock. I am going to take Floyd's suggestion though and re-classify it on Soundcloud as Singer/Songwriter Pop/Rock).
I have re-written and re-recorded the whole thing and hopefully somebody likes it! It's about the struggle a lot of folks face trying to hold it all together even when things aren't turning out in life like they had dreamed they would.

BIAB
Bass - 700 Pop Half Notes Push
Cello - 1856 Background Pop Country
Drums - Country Pop Ballad
Guitar - 1814 Fingerpicking Celtic Air
Guitar - 2916 Country Folk 8th's Brent
Piano - 2825 Country Pop Mike
Pedal Steel - 2667 Dreamy Single Note

Me
Vocals
Electric Slide Guitar (I did my best but not my strong suit)
Electric Guitar Solo
Piano

HIDEAWAY
Words and music by
Torrey Bliss ©2021

You were young and had so many dreams
To end up in a better place
Broken promises just made you weep
It’s sad how they all drifted away
You remember days so full of life
And now survive from day to day
While being pulled at from every side
You’re wishing that someone could ease your pain
‘Cause you’re drifting away more and more each day
You feel there’s only one thing left to do

You just want to go and hideaway
You’re so weary from the struggles of this life
Don’t they know there’s nothing left to give
Don’t they know how hard you’ve tried
If you could just find a way to your secret hideaway

Now the only time you find real peace
Is when you’re dreaming in the night
It’s your escape from life’s realities
It’s when you’re feeling happy and alive
You wish your dreams could go on
And on and on and on
But they always end and then the morning comes
Oh it will come

Chorus

You wake up to the morning sun
And hope your dreams will come to life
You look up to the only One
Who’ll help you give it one more try

Last edited by Torrey Bliss; 07/15/21 12:27 PM.

Torrey Bliss #663962 07/12/21 07:49 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Excellent. Lyrics that plumb the depths of human pain, yet provide that much-needed uplift in the final lines.
Strong vocal and great harmonies. Interesting chord progression and masterly lead guitar provides and excellent finish. Overall sound reminds me somewhat of the Eagles (that's intended to be compliment, not a criticism!).

My music may not set the world on fire but if it causes a glow in just one person's heart, it has all been worthwhile smile
Torrey Bliss #663965 07/12/21 08:46 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Torrey,
a lush, wonderful TB sounding song...you always sound like you and that's a wonderful sound.
This song has the rich textures of arrangement I always enjoy with your songs.
There're some Beatle touches, even more Harrisonness and it all makes the Torrey Bliss sound.
The cello on the end is a lovely touch.
Love it!

Last edited by rayc; 07/12/21 08:47 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Torrey Bliss #663987 07/13/21 01:22 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
So good!

Excellent song, excellent performance (man, that vocal!), and great, pro sounding mix.

Your slide playing sounds fine to me BTW.

Really good, Torrey, and great to see you back here! You have been missed.

Torrey Bliss #664027 07/13/21 07:10 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Torrey,

Well written. Beautiful melody.

Like Ray said - sounds like Torrey to me. Those ever-present influences. Some Harrison-ness (to steal Ray's word) and that Rundgren flavoring... I think I'd label it Singer-Songwriter/Pop/Rock...

Excellent vocals. Super production (as always). Solid mix.

A great listen. Much enjoyed.

fj

Torrey Bliss #664030 07/13/21 07:16 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Torrey this is excellent in so many ways yes some touches of the Beatles and humble pie there early stuff! the vocals are awesome and the lyrics as well always love your songs the finish product is always done professionally great peace of music thanks Eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
Torrey Bliss #664075 07/13/21 11:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Torry

A wonderful pro sounding song. Excellent structure, great vocals and some lovely musical flourishes.
Nicely channeled Harrison like slide and a pretty solo to follow.

Really well done in all departments.

Peter

Torrey Bliss #664096 07/13/21 03:24 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Torrey,
Fantastic tune! VERY well made from start to finish. Loved solo guitar, crazy good playing. Vocals A+. Many interesting lines and hooks to stay focused. You are a true one man band. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Torrey Bliss #664114 07/13/21 07:22 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Torrey,
I can hear some similarities to Restless Heart in lead vocal timbre, double and slide guitars as found on Back To The Heartbreak Kid and I'll Still Be Loving You.

Still as others already said it's you which is great but I wouldn't classify it country. Josie

Torrey Bliss #664115 07/13/21 09:18 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Torrey,

I agree with all above reviewers - this is a n excellent piece of music which held my attention to the end.

I also agree with them - this is the most unlike "Country/Rock" song I've ever heard. Probably worth putting in another category in SoundCloud.

Yes - definite shades of The Beatles in the harmony parts - and that is a very good thing indeed!

Vocals - suit the song well. I would like to hear more of your natural voice with less high frequencies added.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
Ghostgum #664119 07/13/21 11:55 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks so much Ghostgum for the kind words! I definitely take the Eagles comment as a compliment! T

Torrey Bliss #664120 07/14/21 12:23 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Torrey,

This is excellent. Everything about this song is top notch.

To me it has a great Jeff Lynne production feel. I absolutely enjoyed this.

A new favorite for me.

Bob

Torrey Bliss #664196 07/14/21 09:40 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Torrey, first of all: You're an ingenious song-writer. Okay, I already knew that, but with this song you proved it once again: just awesome.

And brilliantly sung (solo vox and BGV) - some parts could have been on Sergeant Pepper. Your soloing is so tasteful and the sound of the whole thing is absolutely radio quality (and I definitely don't mean AM smile )

For more than 50 years Freddy King's Hideaway (esp. in the version of Eric Clapton with John Mayall's Blues Breakers) was myfavorite Hideaway (terewere quite a few others - remember Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Tich- arg?), but now I'm no longer sure if ut still is - your song is really something special!

Take care,

Stefan

Torrey Bliss #664207 07/15/21 12:09 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Torrey,

This is what I like(d) in your songs; A smooth sounding Pop/Rock song and a very clever composition with good lyrics!
I can only agree with all the previous compliments on your song. It's just a good song.
But to me it is definitly no country song. and I am glad too you removed the uptempo in a previous version.

Needless to say I enjoyed it,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
Torrey Bliss #664226 07/15/21 03:51 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Thoroughly engaging, Torrey. Love those harmonies. I agree with Bob Dean that Jeff Lynn would be proud to call this his. Excellent guitar solo. Country, pop or any category imagined, this song would chart high.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
rayc #664253 07/15/21 06:38 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks so much Ray! While I still contend that the vocals lean more toward a Country sound I admit I was going for a Harrison sound with those slide parts (My feeble attempt at it anyway. George Harrisons slide playing had so much feeling and soul to it that very few can get that sound. He was a master at it!) I always appreciate your comments! T

BlueAttitude #664347 07/16/21 01:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Dave for the kind words! Since your comments were posted, I went back and re-recorded the slide parts and made them sound a little better and replaced the file on Soundcloud. T

Last edited by Torrey Bliss; 07/16/21 01:31 AM.

Torrey Bliss #664466 07/16/21 02:07 PM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Not sure how I'd classify it, except REALLY, REALLY good!!!! There is definitely a Beatles vibe in here. The melody is to die for.......perfect!!! You always have such creative progressions which new music hardly ever has.....I LOVE IT!!! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg

Torrey Bliss #664524 07/17/21 02:15 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Excellent song, write, arrangement and production. Loved it from start to finish.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
floyd jane #664630 07/18/21 01:34 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Torrey,

Well written. Beautiful melody.

Like Ray said - sounds like Torrey to me. Those ever-present influences. Some Harrison-ness (to steal Ray's word) and that Rundgren flavoring... I think I'd label it Singer-Songwriter/Pop/Rock...

Excellent vocals. Super production (as always). Solid mix.

A great listen. Much enjoyed.

fj

Thanks for all that Floyd! And also for the suggestion to change genre label for Soundcloud which I did! T

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195