Go To
Beginners Forum
W
will Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W

Before I install the BIAB & RB 2001 upgrade on top of my 2009 version...
(which was just "installed" from my never used 2009 BIAB supplied hard disk... using the supplied installer exe file)

I decided to see what sound card was in this (old, but beefy) custom Intel I7 Win10 PC.

Device Manager tells me I have these installed in c:\windows\system32\drivers

(qty 4) NVIDIA HIGH Definition Audio
(qty 1) NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
(qty 1) Realtek High Definition Audio

Questions:

1 - I guess these are all drivers... but why so many? What do they all do?
(as far as I know there is only one sound card plugged into the mother board)

2 - Does any of this information tell me what sound card (hardware) I have in the PC?
Is it a Realtek card with a bunch of NVIDIA drivers or the reverse or what?

Reason for Asking:
I'm guessing this info will be helpful during the installation and later steps to get my M-Audio Axiom 49 keyboard controller setup to record into RB)

I'll have more questions later as I navigate my way through this so...

Thanks for any help along the way.

Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Will.
1. you might find this method usefull i layout in this thread re song creation at some point.
a little 4 parter. if you read the thread.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=659142#Post659142
2. i would suggest you dont use on board sound on a pc but get a decent asio usb interface..looks like you have realtek on board sound. ask on any recording forum if you doubt my info.
if your going to be recording your vocals and other instruments useing a microphone.........into rb...
here is a list of interfaces that pg users find work well with pg products.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=635707#Post635707

3. it would take me days to explain lots of other digital audio caveats/things to watch out for/various aspects of setting up a recording daw so i would suggest you read all the pg faq's, and also buy a book written recently on setting up a project recording studio, ...and also google "you tube setting up a home project recording studio". THUS lots of usefull videos/hits will come up.
ALSO there are lots of pg music vids on you tube. PLUS if you go to reaper.fm there are around 80 vids
on recording and midi etc etc.
i would also google/you tube "setting up/useing axiom keyboard with a daw".

best/hth
oldmuso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 07/28/21 05:05 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
look under sound video and game controllers rather than drivers in control panel. that will tell you what the sound on your pc is produced by. then you can choose the driver when you load BIAB.

however, regardless of your sound card MME should work for audio playback. WAS is better as lag is negligible when recording and both WAS and MME should work regardless of your soundcard. for recording from your keyboard, turn it on and plug it in (usb i presume?) before you start BIAB and then look for the keyboard in midi input drivers.

i think you will only need an ASIO driver if you record audio - your controller is a MIDI input device. quality of midi sounds varies with the synth you use. i think you should have got Coyote WT free with BIAB and its ok. better still read Peter Gannon's post 'No brainer' om how t get the TTS1 free.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
RealTek is likely the audio system on your computer motherboard. The Nvidia drivers likely support optional audio and video software that allow multiple speaker configurations, sound enhancement, display control and so forth. Most of the time you don't want to use added audio features but want Windows to control your audio.

So, what you have is computer motherboard based audio (Realtek) with software enhancements (Nvidia).

Your MIDI controller likely will connect to your computer through a USB port. It transmits MIDI data, not sound, to your computer so it doesn't use the Realtek or Nvidia. It should show up as a MIDI Input Driver and MIDI Output driver in the MIDI/Audio Drivers Setup.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Essentially, Unless you have added your own sound card, you have the factory chip which is not suitable for doing what we do.

Regardless of anything else.... That chip/soundcard is designed to run with MME and possibly WAS. MME is the default in most cases.

If you are using audio and midi together or simply midi alone in many cases, you will have problems with the factory card and the MME driver.

To run smoothly, you should plan to get an external interface that can run ASIO. Get the right tool for the job. This interface will let you run audio and midi in both directions as smoothly as you would expect it to run. The soundcard or interface you choose is the heart of your recording studio so choose wisely.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Not sure, but I suspect your NVIDIA driver is probably associated with the HDMI connection on your computer (since HDMI transmits both audio and video). My laptop has both RealTek and NVIDIA; the NVIDIA kicks in when I connect via HDMI to a television set.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
just to throw in my small contribution, i use a behringer uphoria usb interface for recording these days...............but

installed in my pc is a soundblaster audigy which is old but quite powerful and which ran BIAB midi and RealTracks audio playback with WAS quite successfully and also recorded midi from a midi keyboard controller.

even more surprising, a windows 10 update knocked out the soundblaster until i could find a new driver, and i reverted to the onboard sound from the motherboard.

and it worked.............! so don't give up on your motherboard's onboard sound until you've tried it. you may be pleasantly surprised if all you need to do is create tracks with BIAB then add a track with the midi keyboard

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
jford,

Thanks for your input. I don't have a computer with a built-in Nvidia HDMI video/audio connection so I wasn't aware of those drivers. Your explanation makes much better sense than mine above.

I agree with Bob Calver's remarks above. As long as the only input into the computer is a MIDI controller the motherboard audio playback system should be fine. Will's M-Audio Axiom 49 keyboard controller uses a USB port for power and connectivity so the older 5 pin MIDI ports are not required.

I also agree with Guitarhacker that audio input works better with an audio interface.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199